Author Topic: A week using an Apple iPhone -- An Android user's perspective  (Read 17573 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: A week using an Apple iPhone -- An Android user's perspective
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2019, 09:14:32 pm »
But you can get all the big letters on the big screen now.

Same as I run my laptop which is 1920x1080 at 150% zoom
bd139 special incoming. Can you read me now!?

Now THAT’S funny.

mnem
I prepared EXPLOSIVE RUNES today.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2019, 09:14:49 pm »
But you can get all the big letters on the big screen now.

Same as I run my laptop which is 1920x1080 at 150% zoom
bd139 special incoming. Can you read me now!?

i can read it when it’s this big  ;)

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2019, 08:35:35 am »
I personally know a handful of people who prefer a small phone, there are a LOT of them out there. I've never understood why anyone would want a phone bigger than the SE. It's close to the perfect size to fit in a pocket and hold in one hand. The screen is very sharp and is plenty sufficient for most things, I'm using it right now to post this. If I want a big screen I'll pull out my laptop.
:palm: Those are not the reasons for a bigger smartphone screen. It's the same reason the internet was invented. You know... pictures and videos of cats...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2019, 04:58:08 pm »
Here we go again.... https://phys.org/news/2019-07-malicious-apps-infect-million-android.html

And why it's a problem and why Samsung are shit: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20411817
I don't expect this discussion to ever be any different because both camps just love to point out incidents on "the other side", but it seems to be a case of people engaging in what's known to be risky behaviour:

"The apps, most of them games, were distributed through third-party app stores by a Chinese group with a legitimate business helping Chinese developers promote their apps on outside platforms."

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2019, 05:04:13 pm »
I disagree.

Neither of these are an option on iOS. You can’t install third party app stores and Apple could actually close the OS holes because most of their user base isn’t unsupported landfill phones.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2019, 05:16:55 pm »
I disagree.

Neither of these are an option on iOS. You can’t install third party app stores and Apple could actually close the OS holes because most of their user base isn’t unsupported landfill phones.
I guess that makes the point for me. Having an app store but also being able to take control is considered a feature by many, not a bug. You can choose between the walled garden or assume the risk of going outside of it instead of never having the choice. If manufacturers weld the doors of a car shut they can hardly call not being able to fall out of the vehicle a feature. Of course, a walled garden might still mean getting infected. Please note that I'm neither pro Android or pro Apple. I use both and think there's definitely room for improvement on both sides.

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-emerging-threats-ios-malware-xcodeghost-infects-millions-of-apple-store-customers.html

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2019, 06:21:06 pm »
I’m laughing at XcodeGhost here because the vulnerability is now mitigated actually by the App Store as it’s identifiable when symbols are uploaded. Not only that the vulnerability is actually a copy of Xcode that was obtained illegitimately so they could circumvent licensing fees.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2019, 06:33:21 pm »
cannot download more apps, cannot bluetooth to other systems, keep everything to itself, thats the kicker feature for security well, i dont save my passwords or cc number in the phone, not even in the pc, so i can download more apps and share files with friends via bluetooth without the need of internet connection or cloud BS. the modern age of secure SSB rig ;D
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2019, 06:40:29 pm »
Enjoy your 2% use case :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2019, 07:04:05 pm »
true because we only have 2% iphone/imac users around here. and apple booth is always empty when i walked across it i'm not sure how they survived i guess injection from the headquarter. because of my apple ignorance, i always ask those of my 2% friends how to do this or that in iphone/imac their anwers will always "i dont know i just being told this is a good stuffs", there was many years back a guy i asked why he bought imac? he said because it can do this with his 5 fingers doing top to bottom screen swipe gesture, i thought :palm: thats not even 2% use case, i really dont have any clue whats good in productivity for that, no VB/VC++ no photoshop no nothing, just something similar to that Ms Word stuffs and probably some image viewer.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2019, 07:24:15 pm »
My parser suffered a stack overflow on that comment.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, mnementh, 0culus

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2019, 07:33:08 pm »
Fan boys have been banned from this forum for being too much a fan boy. :-)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2019, 07:54:44 pm »
Fan boys have been banned from this forum for being too much a fan boy. :-)
The problem is that bd139 is a rather nice chap otherwise and he would be missed.  ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2019, 08:05:42 pm »
I’m a miserable bastard :)

Anyway I’m not a fan boy.

My day job is product selection and architecting technology solutions which if I get them wrong will have massive consequences for their customers’ data protection, their reputation and my reputation. My opinion is based on deep research and analysis that took weeks and input from third party security consultancies as well as product evaluations. I’m not going “waah waaah look at moi sexy chunk of glass” but “there be an analytical evaluation behind this”.

Also my MacBook Air was a piece of shit. I use a manky old thinkpad running windows 10

Each tool is the right one for the job.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2019, 08:20:29 pm »
The problem is that bd139 is a rather nice chap otherwise and he would be missed.  ;D

I know, but so was Wuerstchenhund. He knew is stuff and gave help to others.  But his love for LeCroy was too much for some!

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2019, 11:10:51 pm »
most of the time, monotonic technical explanation is boring, esp if they keep repeating, so occasional sarcastic environment is fun... its understandable people always post based on their environment, me with mine, they with theirs, and sometime from hearsay regardless true or false... but if one can keep m*ronic or st*pid word away that is some achievement, imho... we dont need another contributing member being banned, as the other member in the other thread said... everyone entitled to their own opinion.. poking bd139 ;D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2019, 11:53:17 pm »
My parser suffered a stack overflow on that comment.

Punctuation, used judiciously, is very nice indeed.  8)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2019, 12:16:36 am »
that was on purpose so it will not be taken seriously by the not so serious person. for the serious beings... punctuations can be rebuilt from https://www.eevblog.com/forum/programming/neural-nets-deep-learning-and-so-on/?topicseen

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2019, 12:26:35 am »
that was on purpose so it will not be taken seriously by the not so serious person. for the serious beings... punctuations can be rebuilt from https://www.eevblog.com/forum/programming/neural-nets-deep-learning-and-so-on/?topicseen
It's hard to take something serious if you can't read it, so you're not wrong.  ;D

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2019, 12:28:09 am »
do not underestimate the fanboyism

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2019, 01:19:01 am »
Enjoy your 2% use case :)

Yup... BOTH of 'em!!!
  :-DD

mnem
Technically, anything you do yourself was accomplished by "Training a neural network"...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2019, 02:14:01 am »

Yup... BOTH of 'em!!!
  :-DD

mnem
Technically, anything you do yourself was accomplished by "Training a neural network"...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2019, 02:34:26 am »
Yeah, whatever you're talking about... There's an XKCD for THAT!!! :-DD

mnem
Of course, there's an app for that too... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.floern.xkcd&hl=en_US

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2019, 11:41:20 pm »

intuitive what? its Microsoft Win8 GUI, exact copy of PC version, except its worse, paler and has to deal with small screen.

I thought the Windows 8 UI was fine on a phone. The issue was that a good phone UI is a horrible desktop/laptop UI. If they'd avoided the folly of trying to merge the desktop and mobile experience a lot more folks would have been happy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf