Author Topic: Schematic Review Portable power supply  (Read 56 times)

Offline SagarTopic starter

• Contributor
Schematic Review Portable power supply
« on: Today at 12:39:58 pm »
I have designed this power supply unit to get 3.3, 5, 8 and 12V. So that it acts like a secondry supply to test and power small projects and mircocontroller.
1) I used TP5100 as charging in 2S mode
2) 5v boost up mt3608 charging to charge the battery direclty from usb_5v
3) Then some linear regulators for 3.3 and 5v
4) And again a mt3608 booster for 12V out
I may utilize same booster circuit for charging the battery and 12V but then I have to change the jumpers and all, which I don't want.
5) Can you suggest me a PCB manufacturer.
See my schematics:

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Schematic Review Portable power supply
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:39:07 pm »
Not sure what output currents you are hoping for, but SW2 might be under a bit of stress.  Don't use some tiny SMD switch.

The output capacitors on the AMS1117 are a bit small - 1uF is the absolute minimum, you probably want more.  Depending on PCB layout you may also want some input capacitors on them if they are any distance from the battery.

Are you planning to use protected batteries?  I'm guessing the battery holders are for 18650's.  I'd suggest incorporating a protection circuit if you might use unprotected cells, e.g. something like S-82C2A.
How does the 1S mode selection jumper work?  It just changes the charge IC output.  Do you need to insert a dummy battery?  I'd suggest leaving that 1S option out.

I'm assuming this is just for hobby use, so you aren't concerned about EMC?

Unless you need the PCB to be tiny, allow for more capacitors on each power rail.  Small SMD caps are cheap, but low in value when under bias.  You can always leave them off during assembly, but it is a pain to add them if there is no footprint.

There might be other options local in India, but I'd suggest JLCPCB or PCBway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf