Author Topic: Most effective design to teach/learn schematic capture and PCB design  (Read 1435 times)

Offline matrixofdynamismTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
When we learn programming, we start with hello world and then proceed to advanced subjects like object oriented programming. We write example programs and try to solve programming problems like write program to do XYZ. When we learn electronics, it is similar idea where we start from simple components like resistors, capacitor, inductor, diode, transistor and logic gates e.t.c. There are plenty of books on all of this that will take a person from basic to advance level.

I have not yet found a book that teaches the subject of schematic capture and PCB design in a similar way. A book that comprehensively captures all techniques that we need to use for a single PCB design package. From simple things related with schematic capture upto complex things like routing high speed impedance controlled tracks. Why is this so?

If someone knows basic electronics then what example designs should be used to learn PCB design? This should take into consideration simple techniques required and used in schematic capture and PCB design to most complex subjects. It seems all information is either scattered or requires one to take special training courses!?

Offline spudboy488

• Regular Contributor
Re: Most effective design to teach/learn schematic capture and PCB design
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 11:47:15 am »
How the design is input and how the PCB is generated are highly dependent on which system is being used. There's a big difference between how KiCad and Altium operate. You would be better off looking for the CAD system first then the training material for that system.

There are basic concepts between all CAD packages but the way the task is implemented will be different.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:31:18 pm »
There are basic concepts between all CAD packages

Isn't it that which he was asking about? For instance, whereas in programming things like cohesion apply whatever language or IDE you use, on a PCB you'll similarly plonk your fiducial marks and not have acute angles between track segments regardless of CAD software.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 05:20:07 pm »
IIRC Dave ( 'Mr EEVblog' Dave) wrote a book about PCB design. I think it can be found on the main EEVblog website as a PDF somewhere.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline spudboy488

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 11:54:11 am »
There are basic concepts between all CAD packages

Isn't it that which he was asking about? For instance, whereas in programming things like cohesion apply whatever language or IDE you use, on a PCB you'll similarly plonk your fiducial marks and not have acute angles between track segments regardless of CAD software.

I agree with the PCB end. There are texts/guidelines/etc. that would help learn proper PCB layout in a general sense that can be carried across any platform. The schematic capture side is much more software specific. I don't believe there are guidelines on how to draw schematics. Please prove me wrong if there are. I'd like to see them.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 03:56:23 pm »
I don't believe there are guidelines on how to draw schematics

There certainly are - connections should only consist of three lines, never four, for instance. I think what you may mean is standards (like IEC, IEEE or similar). There are as many standards as you have money to purchase, but I think they are all mostly symbols to use, just like a programming language standard covers the keywords and tokens. How you put these things together tends to be more of an art or style, and different companies have their own style guides.

There is something to be said for learning the hard way. If, for example, the above guideline is specified one may do things that way but never really understand why. OTOH, try and read a dodgy photocopy which has four-line connections and you won't need to be told twice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf