Author Topic: Eagle wasting my time!  (Read 14929 times)

Offline itdontgoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • IoT Manufacturer
Eagle wasting my time!
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:16:47 am »
Hi Guys,

Just posted this on Element14 which they're going to love!  I'm actually a bit pissed off because I've wasted my time on Eagle when I should have just used DesignSparkPCB.  There is no way I'm paying £1800 for that software when the competition can provide me with a free alternative.  I actually think Eagle is good and would buy it if there was not a (legal) free option.

Hi,

I have designed some boards using Eagle Freemium which I quite liked but the measly eurocard layout limit is virtually useless.  Thanks to 'The Amp Hour' and the EEVBlog I found out RS components do a comletely free PCB layout tool which can be used to make panels... for free!  So in future I would prefer to use their software rather than spend £1800 on Eagle just to do some 2-layer PTH panels.  A shame.

My question is does anybody know a way of importing Eagle files on to RS DesignSparkPCB?

Thanks,

Michael

Whilst on the subject of CAD tools I tried the latest version of AutoCAD lately which nearly cost me a desk!  The amout of time I slammed my fist into the desk I nearly put an hole in it.  It creates a great finished drawing but the useability is TERRIBLE!  As a comparison Eagle is very user friendly compared to this rubbish.  By way of an example, one of the most annoying things is when you go to the file menu to create a new drawing and it actions the first thing your mouse is under when the menu appears!  I've got a heart condition I cant have stress like that in my life the b*stards are going to kill me!  $4000 they want for that crap.  Who pays it?  No wonder it tops the list of most illegally downloaded software!

Michael

www.firmtec.co.uk  >  Hopefully starting a blog for my business soon!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:22:35 am by itdontgo »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Eagle wasting my time!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:10:52 am »
Whilst on the subject of CAD tools I tried the latest version of AutoCAD lately which nearly cost me a desk!  The amout of time I slammed my fist into the desk I nearly put an hole in it.  It creates a great finished drawing but the useability is TERRIBLE!  As a comparison Eagle is very user friendly compared to this rubbish.
what, do you use AutoCAD for PCB "CADDing" ??
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
    • IoT Manufacturer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:40:12 am »
Not for PCBs it was for the enclosure.  I mentioned it as it's CAD tool and it was on my mind.  Even though they're for different purposes they have similarities in the way they work or dont work!.  I have got a copy of ACAD2002 which I dont like much either but it's not as frustrating as the new version.  They've gone and made it look like Office 2007 as well which is really bad.  It means all the menu bars which I have used for years aren't there by default anymore.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:04:45 am »
why dont u search for older version? AutoCAD R14 for eg. i agree with you about the Office2007 fallacy. i was forced to upgrade because all the organizations/dept around me using it and we usually exchange data, the older 97 cant read docx. for years i've been using it and i still cant get it right as it was Office97. i miss 97 and for all these years, i've been keep cursing 2007.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Joshua

• Regular Contributor
Eagle wasting my time!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 12:50:40 pm »

About AutoDesk softwares: I'm a student so i can get it (legally) for free. I have found that AutoDesk Inventor is much more suitable to my(our?) type of work. It seams that autoCad is more for designing buildings, dams, etc... while inventor is designed more for the smaller scale stuff. I think it is awesome. People rave about sketch up because it's free, so I understand. However inventor is just so much more powerful. There is a small learning curve, so don't be discouraged. In the help menus or online, there is some tutorials to walk you through the software. I would recommend going through the first couple.

• Regular Contributor
    • IoT Manufacturer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 01:04:18 pm »
Actually I got my AutoCAD 2002 around the time I was in Uni doing Mechanical Engineering.  Used it lots.  AutoCAD produces great results but it can be frustrating to use.  Like sometimes it wont always snap to something unless you zoom in and out a few times which is ridiculous.  Anyway wrong forum I suppose.

The other problem with using standard AutoCAD is that it cannot produce CAM files for milling machines (iges or step files) which I believe you can do with Inventor.  It can produce stl files for 3D printing though and that's what I needed.  It's still crap to use though and I wouldn't fancy paying for it (but might have to).

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 05:06:39 pm »
have you tried DipTrace for pcb design?

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 05:45:00 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just posted this on Element14 which they're going to love!  I'm actually a bit pissed off because I've wasted my time on Eagle when I should have just used DesignSparkPCB.  There is no way I'm paying £1800 for that software when the competition can provide me with a free alternative.  I actually think Eagle is good and would buy it if there was not a (legal) free option.

Hi,

I have designed some boards using Eagle Freemium which I quite liked but the measly eurocard layout limit is virtually useless.  Thanks to 'The Amp Hour' and the EEVBlog I found out RS components do a comletely free PCB layout tool which can be used to make panels... for free!  So in future I would prefer to use their software rather than spend £1800 on Eagle just to do some 2-layer PTH panels.  A shame.

My question is does anybody know a way of importing Eagle files on to RS DesignSparkPCB?

Thanks,

Michael

You will probably have more luck posting your question in the designspark forum ( but don't hold your breath)
1+ Try Diptrace ;)
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:53:31 pm »
Not for PCBs it was for the enclosure.  I mentioned it as it's CAD tool and it was on my mind.
If you want a 3D CAD tool, check out Google SketchUp. For an idea of what you can do, take a look at what Matthias Wandel does with it.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 06:08:28 pm »
If you want a 3D CAD tool, check out Google SketchUp. For an idea of what you can do, take a look at what Matthias Wandel does with it.
i've had quick play with it last time, nice cartoon looking. but can it do pro/fab level mechanical drawing?

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 08:23:16 pm »
i've had quick play with it last time, nice cartoon looking. but can it do pro/fab level mechanical drawing?
What level do you need? It can do plan views and isometric views with dimensions and annotation. More than adequate to fabricate from. See here for an example:

http://woodgears.ca/bandmill/plans/index.html

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 12:14:02 am »
What level do you need? It can do plan views and isometric views with dimensions and annotation. More than adequate to fabricate from. See here for an example:[/url]
all in standard dwg and dxf output format...
1) 3D object which every dimension are easily measurable (by ruler or "dim" tool like in ACAD)
2) isometric views (NW, SE, SW, NE) like one eg you linked.
3) plan (2D) view top, bottom etc like below (1st)... (with the standard frame and separating lines)
4) cross sectional view (2nd pic) and hidden line view like in 1st picture.

Offline ChrisKiwi

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 12:52:55 am »

How about generating some gerbers in Eagle and importing them into DesignSpark?  Might be worth a try, but remember, there is no come back with free advise !

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 01:31:18 am »
1) 3D object which every dimension are easily measurable (by ruler or "dim" tool like in ACAD)
3) plan (2D) view top, bottom etc like below (1st)... (with the standard frame and separating lines)
OK. Did you look at this link too?

http://woodgears.ca/bandmill/plans/preview.html

Maybe there is a difference between the "official" way of doing drawings and the "useful" way? Personally I would rather have the useful way, but I know industry and standards bodies may disagree...

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 01:54:09 am »
actually its nice esp for presentation. but not having textual to type dimension is a bit difficult for me, or maybe i tend to stick to the old style. last time, i only moved my mouse at some direction to get the object extruded and shaped. its nice we can build stuffs quickly and learning curve is very easy, but i'm not sure when it comes to high precision dimensioning. and oh, last time where i worked, there's no 3D in AutoCAD, only a bunch of primitive lines showing schematics of piping/sewerage/electrical system coming in and out of building which is drawn by another bunch of 2D boxes and later brought to proffesional meeting. btw, SketchUp is good at what it does, if it can import AutoCAD model (not sure if it can), it will be the best.

btw, i'm not sure about pcb cadding, since i'm new, not having text console is not a problem, i think its been like that from the beginning i'm not sure. designing pcb is not the same as designing enclosure. DipTrace with its bunch of toolboxes and buttons (with nice keyboard shortcut) is all i need to comfortably make a design. and about exporting gerber to DesignSpark? is just like importing jpeg or other image. The ability to update PCB layout when there's changes in schematics/circuit is priceless (in DipTrace).

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 11:06:07 pm »
What level do you need? It can do plan views and isometric views with dimensions and annotation. More than adequate to fabricate from. See here for an example:[/url]
all in standard dwg and dxf output format...

1) The ruler (measuring tape in SketchUp) comes with all versions.
2) I think it does have an isometric view on all packages.
3) I don't know what do you mean, but I think it can't show multiple views at the same time.
4) I *think* you can do most of that with the Pro version. You can't export to standard formats with the free version, but the Pro version allows more exporting options.

http://sketchup.google.com/product/gsup.html
Take a look at the LayOut3 section, it looks like serious stuff to me:

Right now I am learning to use it. As a small and useless project, I will make a model of my room.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:13:13 pm by ivan747 »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »
3) ...but I think it can't show multiple views at the same time.
this!

Offline ChrisKiwi

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 01:06:17 pm »

I have just found there is a new version 3 of Design Spark that allows you to import Eagle files apparently.
http://www.designspark.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf