Author Topic: DEX PCB layout question  (Read 4589 times)

Offline arobyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DEX PCB layout question
« on: February 09, 2015, 02:21:45 am »
I am trying to create a new board that mimics the one attached.  I have the schematic, and have eliminated the 3 test jacks, the headers and the test point, and I've replaced the BNC connectors with edge mount SMAs.  I'm now going to try and create the board, which I hope to be able to produce myself (I only need a couple).

As you can see, many of the components connect to ground.  The ground plane is on the bottom of the board and I assume the components connect through the vias.  Obviously I don't have that option if I'm going to make this myself.

Several questions:

1) I remember seeing some sort of pin that enables the top and bottom of the board to be connected.  What are these called?

2) How do I set up a board in DEX so that the bottom is a ground plane?  Is there a way to automatically create the vias from the top to the bottom (and I'd just solder in the connecting pins?

3) Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks for any advice

Anthony

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: DEX PCB layout question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:47:58 am »
Presuming your layout mimics the one pictured, in Altium one would specify the GND net to bottom layer.
Then polygon pour properties set to GND net.

Presumably DEX can place a free Via, then set it's properties to GND.

Damned if I can rember the proper name for those solder in links either.
I'd probably place a free pad, edit it and use a bit of TH lead and solder.

Keen to know how you get on.
Video?  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 04:10:01 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bigmik

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:54:53 am »
Hi Anthony,

OK..

I believe that they are called `Via Pins'. but looking at the board you seem to only have about 20 to do so I would put some wire in and solder both sides (weave a length of copper wire up and down in loose loops then solder them all top and bottom and cut off the excess loops makes it easier)

If you manually route each of the tracks on the TOP Layer then you can make sure that no tracks are on the bottom layer of the board and after you have finished tracking do a `copper pour' on the BOTTOM layer which will fill the bottom layer complete with copper except for those through hole pads that are not connected to GND (clearance can be set in the properties panel when you select the pour) the through hole pads that connect to GND on the bottom layer will be like holes appearing in the copper or you can select thermal relief which makes soldering these pads easier (may not be what you want if shielding is critical, although I think you will be OK here).

If the size is less than 10cm square I would look into using a cheap Chinese prototype company (check eBay for PCB Prototype) or iTead or Shenzhen2u if over then maybe a bit pricey to get them made for you if you only want 2.

Regards,

Mick

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 08:41:56 am »
What software are you using for the board design?

In answer to your questions (from a beginner)

1. Via concur
2. Use a ground pour on the bottom side of the board
3. I just used dirt cheap dirty boards and they were reasonable

get a quote at http://pcbshopper.com/

like to see how you got on

regards

Steve W
So long and thanks for all the fish

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 09:04:03 am »
1) I remember seeing some sort of pin that enables the top and bottom of the board to be connected.  What are these called?

PCB micro rivets.  I use (and sell in NZ) 0.8mm ones.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 11:31:20 am »
Or you could just use a piece of wire like a resistor lead that excess to requirements :)
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline arobyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 03:33:13 pm »
Thanks for all the replies!  I'll play around later this week with the ground pour etc. and see what I can come up with

Anthony

Offline John_L

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 05:20:15 am »
How to load/place component to bottom side of PCB in DEX?

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 12:40:24 pm »
"Track pins" here in the UK.......brings back many memories in the 80's inserting thousands of these things before we went THP.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-pin-connectors/5488225/

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf