Author Topic: DEX eval by free_electron  (Read 337116 times)

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DEX eval by free_electron
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2015, 02:32:43 pm »
Iliya, free_electron will never use your software anyway. His reporting skill and communication skills are highly lacking and he prefers people to get his expertise as a matter of course. Maybe it wasn't a good time to offer it for free until later when someone without his head up his arse is willing to bring to your attention a gracious offer which none of the other paid software service provide. I notice that Dave also doesn't get as many free new gear as he did in the early stages, but that is what Dave is and the forum. Give shit and fuck the lot of you, but we expect this and don't post here without the caveat in mind.

Give it a rest and retract the free offer and bring back to offer once all the so called bugs as corrected. Then do not post here. There are generally too many trolls on this site to post to many offer of free software without someone being rude and disgusting in their approach.

I don't create as many PCB as free_electron does so the offer of a good alternative for which I have been able to run quite well for my purposes. I haven't needed to read most of the stuff to get through and I KNOW that when a problem is apparent the update will follow VERY VERY quickly. I see no-one able to do the same. Take a step back from trolls and in your case concentrate on your goal and achieve the best you can. See if you can get someone to assist if possible to speed up things, maybe the documentation but I notice that many of the document issue blasted by free_electron are no longer in the updated version. The help file I use doesn't even have Dex Designer Model in the help file so the problem is no longer there. Well done. I bet ya, Altium and Eagle don't do anything like this at all.

As I probably mentioned before There seems to be quite a similarity to Free Energy web with Trolls completely trashing some people no matter what. I don't really intensely read many of the threads on this forum and usually only limit it to a few pages as the posts longer than that are usually full of crap and of no real use.

Comment below is a bit negative for you, definitely pull out and maybe retract the offer for a while. It is just not worth it on this forum.

So you don’t want help and won’t post reports. Can’t help you much! I will leave you to get on with it.  |O The biggest problem you have is your intuitive experience is based on Altium so you expect to see Altium UI methods everywhere. I still firmly believe that your motives are dark and negative. Sadly I have to give up on you. Remember, throwing mud sticks to your hands.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2015, 02:53:26 pm »
Bah, feelings. None of it changes whether his criticisms are factual.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline free_electronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2015, 03:25:33 pm »
i see there is an update to the online manual.  :-+

but... all that was done is remove the chapter with the blank pages .  ::)

Nonetheless it is a fix ... albeit not the one i hoped for.

"The parts"-> "The parts Builder" and then most part types are still very sparse with either a picture or the text "

"The parameters editor is shown below. As you can see there are currently no editable parameters."

kinda funny ..

I restate my request : do a video or a 2 or 3 page explanation that shows , step by step, to draw the symbol for an opamp ( triangle and 5 pins ) and attach it to a sot23 package with 5 pins that is being drawn from scratch.

That is all i need to see to be able to build my own symbols. i can then build my schematic symbols and pcb footprints and build a schematic , wire it and push to pcb so i can try to route it.

right now i am stuck. the libraries don't have the symbols i need and i can't figure out how to make em. Yes i can make rectangular blobs, but that is just ... bleh ..

edit-
i think i finally found part of it

"To add artwork to the library:

1.   Select the graphics for the artwork in the schematic. Any electrical items such as symbol terminals, although selected, will not be added to the artwork file.
2.   In the Library Panel, right-click and select Add Selected Graphics. The dialog box shown below will be displayed.
3.   Enter the name for the artwork and click the OK button. You can change the target directory by typing it in or clicking on the browse clip0135 button."

So i am assuming i need to draw the 'artwork' simply on a schematic sheet then select those objects and then save those as an ART file.

i can then use that saved artwork to drop on a custom symbol and place pins on it.
I will try that approach tonite. See if it works that way.
It's kind strange the pins don't get copied as alignment between artwork and pins are broken then and i will have to reposition the pins on the artwork. maybe there is still something i don't understand.

anyway i will try that tonite see if that works.

that would leave only the creation of custom footprints open as a roadblock to start drawing a schematic.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:44:49 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Iliya

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2015, 04:11:47 pm »
Iliya, free_electron will never use your software anyway. His reporting skill and communication skills are highly lacking and he prefers people to get his expertise as a matter of course. Maybe it wasn't a good time to offer it for free until later when someone without his head up his arse is willing to bring to your attention a gracious offer which none of the other paid software service provide. I notice that Dave also doesn't get as many free new gear as he did in the early stages, but that is what Dave is and the forum. Give shit and fuck the lot of you, but we expect this and don't post here without the caveat in mind.

Give it a rest and retract the free offer and bring back to offer once all the so called bugs as corrected. Then do not post here. There are generally too many trolls on this site to post to many offer of free software without someone being rude and disgusting in their approach.

I don't create as many PCB as free_electron does so the offer of a good alternative for which I have been able to run quite well for my purposes. I haven't needed to read most of the stuff to get through and I KNOW that when a problem is apparent the update will follow VERY VERY quickly. I see no-one able to do the same. Take a step back from trolls and in your case concentrate on your goal and achieve the best you can. See if you can get someone to assist if possible to speed up things, maybe the documentation but I notice that many of the document issue blasted by free_electron are no longer in the updated version. The help file I use doesn't even have Dex Designer Model in the help file so the problem is no longer there. Well done. I bet ya, Altium and Eagle don't do anything like this at all.

As I probably mentioned before There seems to be quite a similarity to Free Energy web with Trolls completely trashing some people no matter what. I don't really intensely read many of the threads on this forum and usually only limit it to a few pages as the posts longer than that are usually full of crap and of no real use.

Comment below is a bit negative for you, definitely pull out and maybe retract the offer for a while. It is just not worth it on this forum.

So you don’t want help and won’t post reports. Can’t help you much! I will leave you to get on with it.  |O The biggest problem you have is your intuitive experience is based on Altium so you expect to see Altium UI methods everywhere. I still firmly believe that your motives are dark and negative. Sadly I have to give up on you. Remember, throwing mud sticks to your hands.
Yes the comment may appear negative but this review is a farce. Free-electron seems to be living up to his alias; bouncing round like a cat on a hot tin roof. He either is totally useless at learning software or deliberately jumping about picking fault and saying ‘Oh it don’t work, its bust’.  I think the latter. This is just a planned hatchet job. He has 5035 posting; get a life. I would hate to work for him, brrrr…

I have literally thousands of paid users and never, ever seen anything like him.  :-//

Yes this forum does attract the trolls. Even free-electron’s beloved Altium gets the works. Don’t see any posting from Altium.

I think free-electron has watched one too many of Dave’s rant videos like the one about the camera usb cable or the one with him driving his car and ranting on about auto-routers (didn’t watch it to the end; why say something in one word when you can use thousands).  Free-electron’s review is like one of these video. These videos obviously set the tone. I don’t blame Dave, that’s how he gets the hits and sells the adverts.

Perhaps free-electron thinks of himself as Dave's little mini-me.  :-DD

I’m not going to help free-electron. Enough is enough.  |O What he doesn’t realize is there are load of silent onlookers who see the truth. I realize he will probably continue to  :rant: but nothing I could do would help.

So I'm off to work on AutoTRAX. The free version is still available. I have EFY shipping it free in India next month. No doubt there will be other magazine to follow.  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:21:45 pm by Iliya »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »
He has 5035 posting; get a life.

Ah, the old "he makes posts on a forum, he has nothing else to do" argument. Keep on digging.

I’m not going to help free-electron. Enough is enough.  |O What he doesn’t realize is there are load of silent onlookers who see the truth. I realize he will probably continue to  :rant: but nothing I could do would help.

Well those silent onlookers should probably say something. You could help yourself by answering questions.

If you won't help him, help me, seeing as I just had a look and had the same issue. Please describe, in detail, the process to go from opening the tool to having a properly drawn opamp with a custom package. I could do this for Eagle in a handful of minutes, I'm sure you can do so for a tool you've written just as quickly.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »
Free Electron's review here seems to be fair to me. He is focusing on a very basic functionality and is doing a sincere attempt to complete that task. Nothing about top tier fancy schmancy features. This could be taken in two ways, as an excellent way to get good feedback, improve the product and gain a highly regarded supporter here or being defensive about it which hurts the product.

Free Electron, it will be very valuable to have similar reviews for Eagle, Diptrace and Kicad.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2015, 04:35:15 pm »
Yes the comment may appear negative but this review is a farce. Free-electron seems to be living up to his alias; bouncing round like a cat on a hot tin roof. He either is totally useless at learning software or deliberately jumping about picking fault and saying ‘Oh it don’t work, its bust’.  I think the latter. This is just a planned hatchet job. He has 5035 posting; get a life. I would hate to work for him, brrrr…

I was going to say this yesterday but thought the discussion looked to be going in a more productive direction - alas it seems I was mistaken - but if I spoke to and about someone trying out the commercial software I work on the way you've spoken to and about free_electron, I would not be surprised to find myself in the dole queue shortly thereafter.

Unfortunately, though, it appears to be your usual MO whenever someone dares to struggle with your product; I remember you pulling the same stunt a few years ago when Mechatrommer tried it out and couldn't work out what he was doing wrong with the simulator.  He asked for help and got insulted in response, but of course you went on a tidying-up spree of your posting history a while later.

A shame, really, as I suspect I'm not the only person who's been put off trying your product out solely by the attitude you display here.

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2015, 05:22:35 pm »
another snag....

I draw a hollow rectangle on an empty sheet. As i am drawing DEX shows length and width. good. The bottom left of the screen also shows my x and y coordinates on the sheet. good.

Once the rectangle is drawn i can resize it , but i cannot see the numerical length and width anymore. the dimension that were shown while drawing it are not shown while resizing it.
I tried double clicking it , right clicking it , looked in the properties panel .. is there somewhere a panel that shows me the properties of that rectangle  and where i can type in the length and width i want it to be ?

Also , when moving an object the bottom left of the display does not show the x and y coordinates anymore. Moving does pop up a balloon with center coordinate of the object and it width and length. but resizing it by dragging one of the corners shows nothing. no coordinates , no size no width. So during placement you get x and y coordinates and length and width. When trying to edit it : half info or no info whatsoever (move gets you a bit of info, resizing gets you no info..

the coordinate display is quirky too. if you hover over an object ( without the object being selected ) you get a popup showing what it is and its length and width. if you then hold the mouse down and drag you get a balloon tip showing the length and width and the distance moved but no absolute points. the bottom left of the screen is also empty.

if you first click on an object you get a balloon stating 'drag to move'. when you then press and hold down the mouse button you do NOT get the balloon showing widht lenght and displacement. bottom left of the screen also does not show x and y coordinates

Rotation is free-form. there are no 'snaps' like to 45 degree or 90 degree. or a box where i can type how many degrees i want something to be rotated.

i also cannot find how to change the line thickness after it has been drawn. ( colors are changed using the bottom color bar )

basic cad functionality... not quite right ...

i am going to shoot a video tonight of these things. this is just crazy. these are elementary operations on a simple rectangle. placing it , sizing it , rotating it. any vector drawing program can do this.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Omicron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2015, 05:57:57 pm »
I’m not going to help free-electron. Enough is enough.  |O What he doesn’t realize is there are load of silent onlookers who see the truth.

I for one am one of these "silent onlookers". What I see is a software vendor killing his own product and reputation by an unwillingness to accept criticism and an attitude that borders on paranoia. You have one of the most well known PCB designers in the community giving feedback on your product and this is how you react? If you had any sense at all you'd welcome his input and work with him to improve your software. I get the impression from this discussion that the biggest problem with DEX is its creator.

Kudo's to free for ignoring your personal attacks on him.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2015, 06:18:01 pm »
i realize this is just an "EVALUATION" thread, not a feedback nor a bug report. so free electron has the right i believe to say it out loud :P and iliya (albeit try to hijack the thread) also has the right to define his reality. his trax will always "on top" of the world, altium or any others, try to bent this mental state is pure lunacy.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2015, 06:26:05 pm »
i had a pretty good idea what i am dealing with the moment i read these two remarks from him.:

Who are you and what are your credentials ? ( like : what worm are you daring to evaluate and criticize my software.)
Dex is better than <fill in whatever> .. if only i could get some users...

His website is also full of quotes attributed to himself...

anyway. that doesn't distract me. everyone has his own personality.

i am still going forward trying to fullfill the original quest : make a nice looking schematic and board to replace that horrible demo board you get when looking at his marketing material.  we'll see what i find along the way.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:30:22 pm by free_electron »

Offline DIPLover

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2015, 06:51:07 pm »
@Ilya : Why do you get so worked-up and take it so personnal?

If the issues free_electrons raises are the result of conscious design decisions you made, please explain those decisions, maybe you are right, who knows?

If they are not the results of conscious design decisions, maybe it is worth your while to evaluate his suggestions? He does have a well informed opinion as a professional.

Up to now, all you have done by being so defensive is use ad hominem attacks on free_electrons... That's not very professionnal.

Are we not engineers here (at heart if not by title)?

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2015, 06:56:49 pm »
i had a pretty good idea what i am dealing with the moment i read these two remarks from him.:

Who are you and what are your credentials ? ( like : what worm are you daring to evaluate and criticize my software.)
Dex is better than <fill in whatever> .. if only i could get some users...

His website is also full of quotes attributed to himself...

anyway. that doesn't distract me. everyone has his own personality.

i am still going forward trying to fullfill the original quest : make a nice looking schematic and board to replace that horrible demo board you get when looking at his marketing material.  we'll see what i find along the way.

Kudos for that!

While i admit that Iliyas attitude presently somewhat turns off my desire to try his software, i am still watching and following you two guys.
After all, Ilya is a one-man-band, and while at the end of the day only the quality of the software counts for me as a user, i still can acknowledge the amount of energy and dedication he must have put into his software. Well, and perhaps his attitude, as much as it is off-putting to me now, is what keeps him energized and allows him to put so much work in his baby...

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2015, 07:19:22 pm »
I'm curious about the motivation behind this review.

Was it, I'm going to tear this pos apart, or was it, I'm genuinely interested in replacing my $10k software with a $49 piece of software?

Also it would be helpful to know free_electron's experience as a reviewer (not questioning technical competence)

Sure all reviews are biased, but more reviews often mean less bias and better understanding that there can be more than 1 way of implementing a feature. Of course it's fine to refer to a preferred way of doing things, but then describing the differences (pros/cons) would be helpful.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:23:24 pm by jaxbird »
Analog Discovery Projects: http://www.thestuffmade.com
Youtube random project videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStuffMade

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2015, 07:25:24 pm »
Troll....what is a troll in this thread?
I like many am very interested in the usuability of any free PCB software and for my 2nd post in this thread I'd like to blow this troll myth.
The most useful function in a forum is "replies to your posts" and a single post will give you this functionality. So after that 1 post would you call us a troll....piss off.
How else do you keep up with the "play"?
Troll  :bullshit:

That free_electron has not bailed on his quest after a tirade of insults is a credit to him. :-+
He is well aware as we are too, that his ability and knowledge are such that any of this shit can not hurt him.
Carry on.  :-+  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2015, 07:48:13 pm »
The motivation is multiple fold

1) this is an impressive work for a single man so from that perspective this tool intrigues me. it is also a tool i have no experience with (as opposed to other pcb tools) so i want to see if there is anything in there i like

2) this did not start out as a review. it started out as a free offer to make a nice pcb design to replace the ugly schematic and horrendous pcb layout he uses in all his marketing material. That design is detrimental to the program. Anyone who is already a pcb designer and is looking at evaluating DEX will be turned of by the horrible design examples in the website and in the documentation (see the attached image below that i snipped out of the online manual. Such drawings as example are an immediate turn off for anyone that has done more than click 'autoroute' to make a board. it is a design with 1 transistor 1 one resistor : just look at the layout ...)

3)  The author made some  pretty bold statement that DEX is much better than what i use now. well, i take him up on his word. I'm all for making my work easier and better.

So i am exploring. any problem i run in to, i post. so others can try it out and see if they have the same issue or not.

my experience as reviewer ? i regularly try out cad tools ( as part of a group of people ) and provide my input in the decision process what to buy. I am also part in professional panels for technical software and as a beta tester for various tools .
i am very familiar with the whole pcb design cycle as well as with various different tools. although i have my primary tool i am familiar and regularly use two others and have done work with a t least 7 others. so i know how other programs do things and what they have to offer.

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2015, 07:52:28 pm »
@freeelectron - your comments about the rectangle dimensions and coordinates are along the same lines as mine regarding properties of a part once placed on the schematic.  Have you found a way to determine the source of a part on the schematic and anything regarding its properties (e.g. its footprint)?

Offline gman4925

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2015, 07:53:47 pm »
Here's my view on DEX.
Background because that seems relevant and the programmer seems to dislike Altium users.
I used Altium for one or two designs in Univerity, that would have been a bit over 10 years ago, after that I used Autotrax (Protel Version) for my first job designing two layer boards without a netlist I know that's a fair step backwards but that is what I was given to work with. Then I moved to Protel 99SE which gave me a netlist and DRC which was good.
After a while we changed to EAGLE and I've used that for 5-6 years (as part of my job), it has big enough problems for someone to question their loyalty to it.
I am in no way set in Altium ways.
I just moved recently and was looking for PCB software for home and my new job, I thought I could hold out for the new circuitmaker but gave up hope, I did look at DEX at that point but wasn't convinced by the website so I didn't even try it.

After hearing DEX was free for non commercial use I thought it might be worth trying it, but I did read the reviews here by free_electron and most of the points he brings up would turn me right off the DEX software.

However I did not take his word as gospel and installed it to see how intuitive and useable it would be for me.

This is what I found.

It installed fine didn't take too long (5.01.17).
The look is modern ribbon style, but it is a bit cluttered for my liking.
Some of the icons in the title bar can get a bit lost as I have windows aero turned on.
It was hard to guess what menu some things would be on.
The programmer said that he would never use a library part (I have to question why they are included) so I tried building a part from scratch using the wizard.
At first this was almost impossible, I wanted to add a through hole diode, it is not clear how to do that from the wizard or help file I finally figured out that I could make a 'custom footprint' part and then add the pads etc.
Once I had my part made I put it on schematic and immediately had to turn off the auto route for the schematic. This is really poorly implemented. I had 4 diodes down, trying to make a rectifier and trying to get a schematic that looks like a schematic should is difficult.
Even with the auto-route turned off there are problems with putting wires on the schematic, they do not want to follow point to point with a single 90 deg bend but rather want to zig-zag to your destination and then you have to do a lot of touch ups, which in my case just caused a wire to keep growing, rather than being shortened.
Changed to board view and realised my part outline wasn't on the silk layer, updated the part and refreshed it in the schematic.
The refreshed part lost orientation and screwed the wiring. When I corrected the orientation the wiring was horrible.
I gave up on schematic.
Over on PCB view I couldn't find how to set the default track width. When I did find where it was in help it did not exist in the program (route->router settings->internal router) so I had to edit each track individually.
I couldn't easily figure out how to manually place tracks not on a net.
There seemed to be a couple of bugs with the live DRC giving overlap errors for the same track and a net disappeared and I couldn't figure out how to get it back (it was still in schematic).

Generated gerbers but they had errors when I checked them with ViewMate.
Gerbers zero dimension D codes detected O,0X0, will be imported as "F" -type
Coordinate block without a D command, D2 will be assumed.
I don't know what these errors are but if I was doing a complex board I wouldn't be trusting the Gerber output with these errors and would have to investigate them further.

I also imported some Eagle files and they weren't without issues. The main problem seemed to be that it didn't bring in the silk layer, only the names. I didn't go to much effort for that.

I found the help file useless, it could tell me how to click and double-click in great detail, but not where to find the default track width.

It seems like DEX can easily place parts (from a library you are recommended not to use) and auto route a PCB for someone who has no idea about PCB design and can struggle through the schematic editor, but for doing a good board design I don't see it at the moment.

In summation, the programmer has done a good job to develop this piece of software by himself to the stage it is at, but it is not yet a true competitor to Eagle (and I doubt Altium from what I can tell).
It needs refinement and highlighting the areas that need refinement to the programmer seems to draw personal attacks when the criticism could be put to use to elevate this software from good to great and make it a real competitor to much more expensive software packages.

At the moment I will stick with Eagle and its limitations and look around again when it no longer meets my requirements or something else comes up (probably look at circuitmaker if it ever appears).

From this experience would I recommend DEX to someone getting started, wanting to make a board for themselves? Probably not, I'd recommend Eagle.
If DEX had the issues free_electron is talking about resolved I probably would recommend that a person who wants a free package without size or other restrictions consider it as an option.

I don't mean to highjack this thread but believe it is on topic as I generally had the same issues as free_electron.

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2015, 08:12:09 pm »
The motivation is multiple fold

1) this is an impressive work for a single man so from that perspective this tool intrigues me. it is also a tool i have no experience with (as opposed to other pcb tools) so i want to see if there is anything in there i like

2) this did not start out as a review. it started out as a free offer to make a nice pcb design to replace the ugly schematic and horrendous pcb layout he uses in all his marketing material. That design is detrimental to the program. Anyone who is already a pcb designer and is looking at evaluating DEX will be turned of by the horrible design examples in the website and in the documentation (see the attached image below that i snipped out of the online manual. Such drawings as example are an immediate turn off for anyone that has done more than click 'autoroute' to make a board. it is a design with 1 transistor 1 one resistor : just look at the layout ...)

3)  The author made some  pretty bold statement that DEX is much better than what i use now. well, i take him up on his word. I'm all for making my work easier and better.

So i am exploring. any problem i run in to, i post. so others can try it out and see if they have the same issue or not.

my experience as reviewer ? i regularly try out cad tools ( as part of a group of people ) and provide my input in the decision process what to buy. I am also part in professional panels for technical software and as a beta tester for various tools .
i am very familiar with the whole pcb design cycle as well as with various different tools. although i have my primary tool i am familiar and regularly use two others and have done work with a t least 7 others. so i know how other programs do things and what they have to offer.

Thanks, I appreciate your reply.

In my experience it's a good sign that the author is highly defensive and proud of his work, it really just means he cares. Be nice.

Think about hiring and choosing between two persons with equal qualifications:

A: I just work here, I don't give a shit
B: I'm highly offended you criticize my work, I put my life and soul into that.

Personally I'd pick B.

Anyway, I hope you follow through and actually put in the effort to complete the project, not just give up saying shit doesn't work.

Edit: in the interest of full disclosure, I've never used DEX, I have used Protel for a number of years, but these days I'm ok with Eagle.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:15:07 pm by jaxbird »

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:22 pm »
I for one am one of these "silent onlookers". What I see is a software vendor killing his own product and reputation by an unwillingness to accept criticism and an attitude that borders on paranoia. You have one of the most well known PCB designers in the community giving feedback on your product and this is how you react? If you had any sense at all you'd welcome his input and work with him to improve your software. I get the impression from this discussion that the biggest problem with DEX is its creator.

Kudo's to free for ignoring your personal attacks on him.

I just wanted to re-iterate this ^^, it echoes my feelings EXACTLY. Always accept criticism and welcome feedback, it's how you make your product better. Especially when it's from someone who actually knows what they're talking about, and doubly especially if it's free. Pardon the pun.

Iliya, your attitude towards free_electron is terrible, you won't survive for long if you treat your customers this way. I suggest you hire someone who can do this for you.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2015, 08:57:37 pm »
In my experience it's a good sign that the author is highly defensive and proud of his work, it really just means he cares. Be nice.

Personally I'd pick B.

Not me I wouldn't hire either,
I will take a team player instead of the one that wants to be a rock star. It's easy to work by yourself, working with others is a different ball game.

A good compromise for rock stars is what Linus does, he has veto power but lets others contribute.

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2015, 09:13:54 pm »

Personally I'd pick B.

Not me I wouldn't hire either,
I will take a team player instead of the one that wants to be a rock star. It's easy to work by yourself, working with others is a different ball game.

A good compromise for rock stars is what Linus does, he has veto power but lets others contribute.

While off topic, doesn't say anywhere that neither are good team players. Surely you can be both proud of your work and a team player at the same time. No?

Real rock stars are tolerated as long as they perform. After that they are usually laid off because they've managed to piss everyone off :)

Linus is just a lazy bastard profiting from the real work done by Andrew Tanenbaum and others.  :P

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2015, 09:14:58 pm »

Personally I'd pick B.

If you pick B you deserve every last bit of trouble that will come with hiring such a prissy, proud egotist. You do know there's a third choice, right? Gives a shit and is willing to accept criticism.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2015, 09:22:00 pm »

Personally I'd pick B.

I understand you listed these two options to make your point, however if somebody reacts offended or even highly offended to criticism means he has a thin skin and can be triggered easily. Big no no. If someone has pride in what he does and can remain confident and self-assured even when exposed by harsh criticism without playing the offended, then this one is a pick. If that someone even has the skill to not only defend his work but to put the critic in defense, then this is a gold pick. I would not like to have somebody in the team or as the team leader which is going to be "highly offended" by criticism like a sensitive flower, that is just asking for trouble...

On the other hand, option A is a valid choice for low ranks. They would be wrong in any decision-making role, but you know, they could grow into it over time...

Personally I'd pick B.

If you pick B you deserve every last bit of trouble that will come with hiring such a prissy, proud egotist. You do know there's a third choice, right? Gives a shit and is willing to accept criticism.

Of course A and B are exaggerated to prove a point. But I'd much rather have someone who cares than someone who doesn't care.

I've experienced plenty of both. Sure the 'B' requires more thoughtful management, but the end result is usually better because B wants to be the best in the team, s/he is usually craving for praise and acknowledgement so any encouragement works well for motivation.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2015, 09:36:31 pm »
Ok, we are getting off topic.

No derailing please, it's an interesting evaluation.
And yes, i'm guilty for falling into it and replying.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf