Author Topic: DEX eval by free_electron  (Read 337046 times)

Offline Iliya

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: DEX eval by free_electron
« Reply #775 on: March 29, 2015, 08:11:20 pm »
No version upgrades, you stay at whatever version is out at that time.

Right. I understand once I buy it I can continue to use that version and any upgrade I get within 12 months.

But if I buy it now and in 2 years I want the latest version will it be another $49 (or whatever the price is at the time for the full version) or will there be a reduced fee for upgrades?

Currently it's $29 even if you take 6 years time out. However, I cannot promise it will be the same in 2 years. You can purchase more than one years worth of upgrades at a time. Many do. http://kov.com/Purchase/Renew
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:03:53 am by Iliya »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #776 on: March 29, 2015, 08:15:16 pm »
OK thanks. Seems fair.

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #777 on: March 29, 2015, 08:29:11 pm »
I've been reading this thread but never contributed anything as I'm not currently doing any boards, nor have much experience with doing so.
The ones I designed before were all Eagle, but I'm likely switching to DEX when I have to do a board again. Good that version 5 will still be free for now, but 39 (or even 49) is very good value and I think it's understandable you stopped offering version 6 for free.

Question: I teach classes and often have to draw schematics for lab experiments my students will then assemble. I use Eagle for that (probably not the best but well it's what I do). Will DEX version 6 (not registered) allow me to draw schematics and export to a GIF or something?

All the best!

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #778 on: March 30, 2015, 07:06:01 am »
Is it possible to adjust the transparency of a graphic image placed on the schematic or pcb?

I have looked and can't see any way to so the following. The main reason for doing this is to place a diagram, scan, image in the background and use that as a reference while working. Once the basic layout is done the image is deleted. Used for aligning components to a front panel is an good example for the method.

Online Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #779 on: March 30, 2015, 08:37:52 am »
To thanks all you guys and gals who have given me so much to think about and so much grief, though I have given some back!  :o I am going to give you 10 bucks (US) of the price of $49 and you can have it for a lunacy price of $39.

http://kov.com/Purchase/eevblog

However my accountant (the cat!) says it must end at Easter as we are both off to Cancun.

So here's you change to get DEX at the steal price of $39.  :-+

This is the FULL version and includes free upgrades for 12 months and never expires.
The software is machine independent, works on any Windows XP or later M/C and never expires.
Unlimited pin count, sheets, layers, parts, PCB size - in other words : everything unlimited!

Now I'm off to find some food for the cat.  :)

I'll give a free license to free-electron if he wants to use DEX!  ;)

I like the way how you do the business but before I pull the trigger I'd like to see some professional PCB before. With all respect to you and your work the samples which are on your web are "hobby-arduino" style. I am thinking more about  some six layer double sided PCB with BGAs, fine pitch components, split ground planes and power planes for DCDC converters and so on...  :D I know, it is kind of a demanding request.

My second question is ? Can AutoTRAX DEX change colors for GUI ? I mean background, grid, traces, lines etc ? I am very conservative...  :)

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #780 on: March 30, 2015, 09:05:46 am »
Ok, I pulled the trigger. Will get some proper high speed BGA designs going, if I can.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #781 on: March 30, 2015, 09:15:06 am »
@Warhawk

Dex does have themes, for menu colours not sure if they are user definable though.

Offline Iliya

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #782 on: March 30, 2015, 10:25:43 am »
Is it possible to adjust the transparency of a graphic image placed on the schematic or pcb?

I have looked and can't see any way to so the following. The main reason for doing this is to place a diagram, scan, image in the background and use that as a reference while working. Once the basic layout is done the image is deleted. Used for aligning components to a front panel is an good example for the method.

Yes. Select the object and set the transparency (T) see below.

Offline Iliya

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #783 on: March 30, 2015, 10:35:32 am »

In the PCB:

1. set the layer to the background layer and
2. then add your image.
3. Next lock the image.
4. Now add the objects you want on top of the background.
5. Finally, unlock the image and
6. delete it.

In a schematic:
1. Add the image.
2. Send it to the back.
3. Lock it.

I went into detail on using an image as a background in the postings but can't find it  :-//
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:37:19 am by Iliya »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #784 on: March 30, 2015, 11:42:13 am »
Despite I am out of action in the EDA arena for a while, I also just pulled the trigger with the fire sale for when I come back... :)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PeterZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #785 on: March 30, 2015, 12:54:19 pm »
I pulled the trigger two times in the past, in hope the software will be useful someday. Invested quite a lot of time to try to build up my own parts library (finally gave up, the part builder was too buggy back then). I was about to pull it the 3rd time and downloaded the new 6th version.
I'm sorry, somehow i can't grasp the logic behind the way a simple, crucial for an electronic design software function works: wiring the schematic.
(made an animated gif), just a stock LM432 and me struggling to wire it as an voltage follower:

It looks like you can't draw a straight horizontal line between two points. With all these hundreds of features DEX takes a lot of effort to make your work annoying, not easier.
I found the "schematic auto-route" option in three places, switched it off, but it still works as above.
I guess, i'd rather donate some cash to KiCad development.

Online Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #786 on: March 30, 2015, 01:48:09 pm »
I pulled the trigger two times in the past, in hope the software will be useful someday. Invested quite a lot of time to try to build up my own parts library (finally gave up, the part builder was too buggy back then). I was about to pull it the 3rd time and downloaded the new 6th version.
I'm sorry, somehow i can't grasp the logic behind the way a simple, crucial for an electronic design software function works: wiring the schematic.
(made an animated gif), just a stock LM432 and me struggling to wire it as an voltage follower:

It looks like you can't draw a straight horizontal line between two points. With all these hundreds of features DEX takes a lot of effort to make your work annoying, not easier.
I found the "schematic auto-route" option in three places, switched it off, but it still works as above.

Hmm, Interesting. Can't wait till Iliya sees that.
by the way what kind of app did you use for such a nice gif ?

Offline Iliya

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #787 on: March 30, 2015, 01:53:12 pm »

Hmm, Interesting. Can't wait till Iliya sees that.
by the way what kind of app did you use for such a nice gif ?

Birmingham
   show video
   any to pay

I think you need a little more practice. Simple route, hold down on negative input, drag to output and release. Simple!

If you want a new route feature you could alway donate to AutoTRAX

Offline PeterZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #788 on: March 30, 2015, 02:00:39 pm »
I captured a region using Camstudio and then converted it to animated GIF using one of the online tools (look for AVI to GIF).

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #789 on: March 30, 2015, 02:08:53 pm »
If you want a new route feature you could alway donate to AutoTRAX

How about a button to turn off the program thinking it knows better than we do?

Sorry, Iliya, but there's clearly something wrong there.

Online free_electronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #790 on: March 30, 2015, 03:29:09 pm »

careful now ... your inbox may get swamped ... :)
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #791 on: March 30, 2015, 04:03:57 pm »

How about a button to turn off the program thinking it knows better than we do?

Sorry, Iliya, but there's clearly something wrong there.

I agree.   While I did find that not "fighting it" resulted in what I wanted with less manipulation, it would be nice to be able to go "full manual" and draw a straight line.   I find that, sometimes a program just can't tell one's true intent.   An "off" button would be nice.

Offline PeterZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #792 on: March 30, 2015, 05:08:55 pm »
I think you need a little more practice. Simple route, hold down on negative input, drag to output and release. Simple!
I guess i really need a lot of practice (using the method hold down, drag, release):

"jump over" cross points can be turned off, i got this:

And here we can see it is indeed the user that is the problem, not the software:

Offline Iliya

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #793 on: March 30, 2015, 06:00:41 pm »
Very close to having it fixed. Also you will be able to make wires at any angle by holding down Ctrl or Shift. - Initially typed Shift without the f   :-[

Offline Iliya

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #794 on: March 30, 2015, 06:51:09 pm »
That would drive me nuts. Can't you just ckick when you want to say change direction and it locks into place on the grid, and then just continue on?

Yes

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #795 on: March 30, 2015, 07:19:09 pm »
PeterZ demonstrated 1 of 2 the biggest bugger in dex, the other one is track that doesnt snap to 45 degree, both during create new track... AND... editing existing track... if i have tutorial on how to do these 2 things properly, i'll further learn how to use dex.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #796 on: March 30, 2015, 07:31:58 pm »
@Iliya

Thanks for the help with the graphic transparency thing.

This could stand a little improvement.

-Tools-Misc-Measure

- Showing both metric and imperial at the same time would negate the need to switch units all the time.
- Multiplying the measured value by 2 and by 0.5. That would allow very quick radius and center finding.

- In an ideal world a right click would allow you to copy a value to the clipboard.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #797 on: March 30, 2015, 07:49:32 pm »
Is the evaluation still active?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Iliya

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #798 on: March 30, 2015, 08:31:37 pm »
MANUAL ROUTING SCHEMATICS

In response to some of the feedback about adding wires in schematics I have done the following changes:

Holding down the shift or control key while adding wires lets you wire to any angle.
Pressing the space bar during manual routing toggle auto-routing on/off.
Optimized non-auto-routing of wires on schematics.

NOTE: when you are starting routing from a terminal, the direction you initially move away from the terminal governs whether the first segment is horizontal or vertical.
Basically if you have the auto routing turned off it will work as you expected to work. DEX will try and keep the route between clicks orthogonal. That is, one horizontal section and one vertical section.

There may be some quirks left; if you find in a please let me know.

I hope the changes meet your requirements.

Thanks
Iliya

Offline WBB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #799 on: March 31, 2015, 01:51:05 am »
To thanks all you guys and gals who have given me so much to think about and so much grief, though I have given some back!  :o I am going to give you 10 bucks (US) of the price of $49 and you can have it for a lunacy price of $39.

http://kov.com/Purchase/eevblog

However my accountant (the cat!) says it must end at Easter as we are both off to Cancun.

So here's you change to get DEX at the steal price of $39.  :-+

This is the FULL version and includes free upgrades for 12 months and never expires.
The software is machine independent, works on any Windows XP or later M/C and never expires.
Unlimited pin count, sheets, layers, parts, PCB size - in other words : everything unlimited!

Now I'm off to find some food for the cat.  :)

I nearly spilled my drink over that last line.

Free electron points out a few things both good and bad. He readily pointed out things he likes
about the software as well as its flaws. He clearly differentiates things he sees as personal preference
from things that just don't work. In many cases he assumes the problem is his own error from his ignorance
of the program and asks to be informed of the correct procedure. All of this feedback is from the perspective
of a very experienced professional designer and is given freely. Granted, it's not sugar coated and the delivery
may come off a little harsh ( especially after the 5th time ) but the fact remains that it is very valuable feedback.

The response he gets in return is pathetic. He obviously liked the program or he wouldn't have continued to
try to improve it considering all the hostility he received from you. You attack his grammar and his typing skills
as though his statements were completely unintelligible which somehow made his experience irrelevant.
Even though he never claimed to be an English Major or a Typing Expert I don't think many had any real problems
figuring out what he was trying to say. You seemed to particularly enjoy making a few pointed attacks at free electron and then
proclaiming your wait for the "trolls" to show up. The only serial "trolling" I've witnessed in this thread was from you yourself.
Free electron posted many of the problems he encountered in this public forum which was the perfect place for you to correct him, point out
his errors and show him the correct way to do things, shame him for being such an idiot, but that rarely happened.
Personal attacks seemed much more enjoyable. You seemed quite proud of your downloads going up during
all of these "debates." Here is a theory for you. Those downloads could have well been people checking to
see if free electron was right and promptly uninstalling if they agreed with him. How many downloads do you
think you might have missed out on because of your shit attitude? There's a question of the day for you.

This is the part that I really don't get. You have obviously invested a massive amount of time and energy into
this project and parts of it really impress some very experience people. Job well done. You admittedly have little
PCB design experience which makes that feet even more impressive. Now a "peer review" shows some bugs, mistakes,
errors, oversights, etc and you let your emotions go completely bonkers and severely damage many people's view of your
project. I realize this is your "baby" and you are quite proud of it, but damn did you really think it was perfect?

The simple fact is that free electron provided you with feedback that was very valuable and didn't cost you a dime. Obviously
his opinion is not the end all be all but I do think it is a mistake not to consider his points and at the very least show
some courtesy. Criticism isn't easy to take but it can make you and your product better. In the end giving away a few $50
licenses would probably get you a few pats on the back and maybe a "this is awesome" from someone who doesn't know
any better. From your responses to feedback thus far I would wager that is probably the better route to take.
The type of feedback free electron gave you, while not as easy to stomach, is much more useful and generally much
more expensive to get.

I will say the attitude has improved significantly in the more recent posts, maybe it will stick around a while.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf