Author Topic: Various Projects: You Try, try, try: but don't forget to pause, for success  (Read 568 times)

Offline RJSVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
   On longer term projects people can lose sight of how creativity and subsequent success manifest;  or how they play out as time passes.
   I'm sure the philosophers know this;   you try try try, to get that town bridge, that new road, new factory, up and running, but neglect the Natural Process, which has its own set of rules.

Momentum is a big factor;   a person, or organization does not want to 'take a break's on some campaign or critical technology development;  fearing loss of 'momentum' or damage (to the project) from laying down the instruments for a spell.

However,  many times new things need a bit of natural 'breathing room';   You've completed some potentially great art / painting, but no one wants it, or seems like.
   Some novel projects may need some breathing room, some pause in effort, while the 'world' catches up.   It's a bit nebulous concept, but, like I said;  maybe more aptly described in terms of the Eastern philosophies.

Consider 'Computation using Light'...which is very do-able, but not yet 'ready for prime time'.   You could put forth many portions of such systems, and certainly the fiber optical uses have come along nicely.   But the core idea has a distance to go, first.
   It's only natural to expect some wait, as things unfold.   The reason I use that term, 'unfold' is to imply:   you might not be able to force it, but rather maybe better to try / put forth some, but then wait;  give it some 'breathing room'.

That process works by introducing some natural factors.   Maybe your initial product is a
Fail, but the customer base seems itching for an alternative, nearly right but not quite.   The breathing room you give, allows some rest, conservation of your resources, while retooling for a better form, manifesting.

The Indian culture philosophies have a lot to say, about 'emergance' of novel things,  in terms that are described as 'energies', but not the usual electromagnetic sense.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
   On longer term projects people can lose sight of how creativity and subsequent success manifest;  or how they play out as time passes.
   I'm sure the philosophers know this;   you try try try, to get that town bridge, that new road, new factory, up and running, but neglect the Natural Process, which has its own set of rules.

Momentum is a big factor;   a person, or organization does not want to 'take a break's on some campaign or critical technology development;  fearing loss of 'momentum' or damage (to the project) from laying down the instruments for a spell.

However,  many times new things need a bit of natural 'breathing room';   You've completed some potentially great art / painting, but no one wants it, or seems like.
   Some novel projects may need some breathing room, some pause in effort, while the 'world' catches up.   It's a bit nebulous concept, but, like I said;  maybe more aptly described in terms of the Eastern philosophies.

Consider 'Computation using Light'...which is very do-able, but not yet 'ready for prime time'.   You could put forth many portions of such systems, and certainly the fiber optical uses have come along nicely.   But the core idea has a distance to go, first.
   It's only natural to expect some wait, as things unfold.   The reason I use that term, 'unfold' is to imply:   you might not be able to force it, but rather maybe better to try / put forth some, but then wait;  give it some 'breathing room'.

That process works by introducing some natural factors.   Maybe your initial product is a
Fail, but the customer base seems itching for an alternative, nearly right but not quite.   The breathing room you give, allows some rest, conservation of your resources, while retooling for a better form, manifesting.

The Indian culture philosophies have a lot to say, about 'emergance' of novel things,  in terms that are described as 'energies', but not the usual electromagnetic sense.

Revealing.

Can I suggest that there are some times of the day when it is better not to post.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Not so, tggzz.  Just a wordy way to say that stubbornly focusing on a predetermined goal without waypoints or stops where you pause, observe, reassess, and refocus as needed, will usually lead to an overall failure, often because the time just wasn't right yet.

Put another way, all practical innovations and tools and gadgets and projects exist in interaction with humans, not independently; and that means an inventor/developer has to examine the human to invention/device/tool interactions at all phases of the project, and adjust accordingly, to achieve success.  And that often during these "observation pauses" you can find a side task/use/innovation that can be useful/profitable in itself; so it makes also financial sense to proceed with reassessment/observation steps in between, not single-mindedly towards the final goal like a train on tracks.

Dammit, I'm now just as wordy myself. :'(

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
Not so, tggzz.  Just a wordy way to say that stubbornly focusing on a predetermined goal without waypoints or stops where you pause, observe, reassess, and refocus as needed, will usually lead to an overall failure, often because the time just wasn't right yet.

Put another way, all practical innovations and tools and gadgets and projects exist in interaction with humans, not independently; and that means an inventor/developer has to examine the human to invention/device/tool interactions at all phases of the project, and adjust accordingly, to achieve success.  And that often during these "observation pauses" you can find a side task/use/innovation that can be useful/profitable in itself; so it makes also financial sense to proceed with reassessment/observation steps in between, not single-mindedly towards the final goal like a train on tracks.

Dammit, I'm now just as wordy myself. :'(

In this case you are less wordy than the OP :)

There is a difference between you and the OP. You construct grammatically correct sentences (in a second language too :) ) which manage to convey your intended meaning. OTOH the OP...

That's one reason why there are times when it is unwise to reply.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
Partially correct.   I'm perhaps still formulating the exact wording, and full development of subject, so maybe it reads more like a draft essay.   Two concepts here are:

First, please understand that I'm using the term 'natural' to imply when events unfold without being forced...as in a 'hands off' evolution, (not 'natural' as in a forest outside).
As a hypothetical example;   Suppose you have some big legal case pending, and the head attorney gets sick (or worse).   Absent any foul play, you could view that as an unexpected outcome where the 'world', universe, etc. came and 'acted', to move the court outcome in some way.   That, of course is very nebulous, but also very common.  Some calling those things 'luck'.

At any rate the main point on that is that you did not cause the new development, it happened as you were 'passive'.
Yeah,   this can be hard to read, but not THAT hard!

The second idea, mentioned in replies here, is the stiff, forced, march to do 'everything' possible, with no breaks or self-evaluation;  just pure determination in isolation.

An example of this point is the 'assistance' given to myself, after a (routine) medical procedure:
    Getting me up to walk, were 3 medical technicians, with two of them supporting and holding my arms (closely).   Then, I was mildly amused when the third medical tech literally shoves my walking cane at me.  I had no way of grabbing that cane, and also needed my arms, for standing up.  I had to just go passive and let them pull me up, to stand.

See my point there ?  They were trying too hard !   Blindly, the first two fellows were interfering with the third guy, who was attempting to hand me my cane.   If they would have been perhaps more relaxed, letting the situation unfold, I would have been able to get up, and use my cane, in a more 'natural' flow.

"Flow" ?   Yes, that's a key to the distinction, 'forced' vs 'natural'.

More criticism is fine, no harm done....thanks.

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
See my point there ?  They were trying too hard !   Blindly, the first two fellows were interfering with the third guy, who was attempting to hand me my cane.   If they would have been perhaps more relaxed, letting the situation unfold, I would have been able to get up, and use my cane, in a more 'natural' flow.

Sounds like some of the jobs I've been on:

Boss: How much longer will this take?
Me: 6 hours.
Boss: Here's 5 more people, now you should be done in 1 hour.
Reality: It's a 1-2 man job, so it doesn't happen in 1 hour as everyone gets in everyone else's way. More like 3-4 hours now.

Another thing that happens with projects is when I get in a mental rut. Sometimes taking a break, or simply switching tasks for a while, and then coming back to it will help me overcome whatever hurdle that was stopping me.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
I'm perhaps still formulating the exact wording, and full development of subject, so maybe it reads more like a draft essay.

It would be considerate to other forum members if you marked it as such.

Better still, form a coherent chain of reasoning, and only then present it for consideration.

• Super Contributor
   Ok,   I'll do my rough draft on a sheet of paper first (since I do appreciate anyone reading and wishing for improved readability).
Besides, there likely are 30 others who got similar impression, of writing clarity issues.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
What's the dodgy part?   

I'm sure a few of us have worked for companies that have similar practices where we explore, not with the intent of making a sell-able product.  Projects like these may have little restrictions, goals or tight schedules that need to be met.  Often what is learned is applied to other projects. 

Even in my electronics hobby, I often build on what I am learning at the time which can take me down seemingly unrelated paths.  Playing with waveguides for example, prompted me to investigate electron spin resonance.   I like electronics because it is such a diverse subject.

• Super Contributor
   Well actually,   without being flippant;   it's the OP that's a bit 'dodgy' (myself) and I'm thinking more in a sense of intangibles like 'Luck',  'Karma', 'intuition',  rather than a simple company retreat week.

Ever cease to look for lost item, only to find it, within minutes ?   Stop checking bank account balance,  only to check it later and find that the check you were needing had arrived...and just after you stopped checking on it arriving ?

Some movies feature 'mysterious' coincidences, like the movie 'African Queen', where the boat that was lost got loose, and floated back to Humphrey (Bogart), saving the day, out of nowhere ?

Those intangible outcomes, that happen in a separate way, not by direct exertion.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
   Well actually,   without being flippant;   it's the OP that's a bit 'dodgy' (myself) and I'm thinking more in a sense of intangibles like 'Luck',  'Karma', 'intuition',  rather than a simple company retreat week.

Ever cease to look for lost item, only to find it, within minutes ?   Stop checking bank account balance,  only to check it later and find that the check you were needing had arrived...and just after you stopped checking on it arriving ?

Some movies feature 'mysterious' coincidences, like the movie 'African Queen', where the boat that was lost got loose, and floated back to Humphrey (Bogart), saving the day, out of nowhere ?

Those intangible outcomes, that happen in a separate way, not by direct exertion.

Actually, there is a common cause for all of those, and more: apophenia.

The following users thanked this post: Kim Christensen

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Can we perhaps mention the one thing about trying to find the solution to complicated problems, or trying to meet difficult challenges?

That sometimes the solution is not obtained to a schedule? That even if you focus all your attention for two weeks you may not find the answer, but yet, a few months later, you will see the thing you were missing all along, and the answer will reveal itself?

In practical terms, if you have a problem you cannot solve, it is often helpful to put it to one side, and come back to it later.

• Super Contributor
   Here is a pretty good example,  job related,  where a 'pause' in one quest left me positioned nicely,  for when better new developments came along:

The local Community Center had jobs,  all filled,  but I got an offer to help out,  an employee there,  who had 2 dogs needing frequent walking.
   It was hardly high paid / high tech,  but,  as they say,  it placed me in the right place, and very soon,  in the right time.

I was hired for the main wanted position soon after,  as electrician 'assistant'.   I had done much of the ground work myself (no pun) but that dog walking responsibility came without trying;  and kept me in the building as an insider,  until a full-time opening as electrician's helper enabled my 'promotion'.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
To see bugs in the code I write, I need to sleep in between.

Many of my best solutions bubble up from my unconscious after I've let it mull on it, especially sleep on it, without consciously thinking about the problem at all.

Things take time.  You cannot solidify concrete faster by having more people watch it.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Even with nine women, you can't make a baby in one month.

Offline Xena E

• Frequent Contributor

Sounds like some of the jobs I've been on:

Boss: How much longer will this take?
Me: 6 hours.
Boss: Here's 5 more people, now you should be done in 1 hour.
Reality: It's a 1-2 man job, so it doesn't happen in 1 hour as everyone gets in everyone else's way. More like 3-4 hours now.

Yeah I get this, partly it's why I'm leaving my current employer after 7 years.

Well, that and the raise I'll be getting at the fresh place.  ;D

Even with nine women, you can't make a baby in one month.

Yes exactly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf