Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 812312 times)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #600 on: July 16, 2016, 10:20:42 am »
How many Tonnes in a Load?
Are those Metric Bullshits or Imperial Bullshits?

SI units were originally queried, so I figure the intention was Metric...

So, a "Metric Shit Load" should have been originally specified.
The question remains, what is the definition of a Metric Shit Load...
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #601 on: July 16, 2016, 10:46:52 am »
Normally a load is 6 cubes, so depending on density it could vary. However, as it mostly will either float or bob just under the surface we can consider the density to be roughly the same as water, which is 1 ton per cube.

The following users thanked this post: Connoiseur

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #602 on: July 16, 2016, 04:45:47 pm »
I've most often seen it measured in Loads.

But there is a mathematical relationship there I am sure...
How many Tonnes in a Load?
A load used to be a cubic yard. It really was a measure and could be enforced by the local trading standards and weights and measures.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #603 on: July 16, 2016, 05:34:02 pm »
Street pole outside my window is secured using a 6 cubic meter cast in situ reinforced concrete block, poured in 2009 for the 2010 World Cup as part of an infrastructure upgrade. Going to be fun when Metro has to replace the water mains feeding me though, as they did cast the main 2 inch steel pipe into the concrete block, along with a good number of underground phone and power cables. At least those portions are not going to corrode further.

Offline Don Hills

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #604 on: July 17, 2016, 09:12:30 am »
The question remains, what is the definition of a Metric Shit Load...

A crap tonne?

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #605 on: July 17, 2016, 07:20:16 pm »
A crap tonne?

I will have to do more research, but I think there is 10 crap tonnes in a metric shit load.
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #606 on: July 19, 2016, 12:01:49 pm »
Again, I'm so glad this thread exists - a pocket of sanity for those who share an almost guilty pleasure for searching for 'silly things' or products made by companies who sacked all engineers and replaced them with marketing folk on crack.

Alas, the reason these products exist, special audio cables with 'sonic' qualities, crystal healing, brain stimulation (the sort that just passes current through the brain but make very specific claims) etc.. is because they sell.  Whilst I'm sure some amateurs truly believe the crap that comes out of their mouths, larger companies with > 10 employee's know full well they're selling something that cannot work but of course - if there's a market, there's business.  Belief's the public/consumers have can easily be used to get them to part with their cash, and whilst I instinctively feel sickened by people making money selling such crap, another part of me thinks 'if its what people want... then let them have it'.

Perhaps I just see more of this stuff now the internet is more accessible, and there are more forums and blogs than ever - so more of the wacko's come out of the wood work - but I swear it has got significantly worse over the past decade, perhaps it is shrewd business people wanting in on the action.  To the point where, rather than there being a nice line between 'official science/engineering' and 'bollocks', its seeping into every day life.  What with 'wellness' guru's promoting paleo diets and the endless 'versions' of diets - because they don't actually like the original diet so add/remove things then claim its their own, and better - sprinkled with links to what look like well conducted studies, that are actually incredibly vague and poorly controlled - rather than the mainstream being somewhat protecting from 'bullshit', its actually driven by it. 
Generally i think one should embrace new technology - pragmatically - whilst simultaneously being suspicious of it.  Because the latter is seen has 'holding things back', cynics are seen as being completely negative, but they really are required to prevent the world being taken over by marketing bollocks.

Supplements is another, as are herbal remedies.  These are more dangerous because they cannot be immediately dismissed as being 'false science', but because they are considered to be 'food', they do not have to go under any form of rigorous testing as to efficacy.  So once something has been on the market for two years, its apparent longevity lends credence to its efficacy - when really it just highlights that is does nothing at all and people take it out of habit/belief.  And if they are found out to cause harm, or have just been in the 'pseudoscience' camp for long, any real positive effects will never be tested because it is tainted.  I was going to quote Tim Minchin then, but I think I've done that before.  Instead I'll drop a link to 'Storm'.

For electrical goods, take Dyson for example, they don't make anything remotely 'pseudoscience' but they do push their marketing to the point where some ad's look like a parody. 'microprocessor controlled for perfectly dry hair', 'V-6 digital motor' - whilst that isn't making any false claims, it is of course trying to dazzle the consumer who wouldn't know one motor from another.  I remember hearing that Dyson make claims of his vacuum cleaners having 'Zero carbon emissions', a shout out to those who want to be seen to be doing good things for the planet, but can't be arsed to change their lifestyle at all - even though Dyson was referring to using brushless motors that don't have carbon brushes so don't create 'carbon dust' - as opposed to carbon dioxide.

I think perhaps I'm getting a bit obsessed with this sort of thing, I find now my immediate reaction to media coverage of tech/sci is 'thats bollocks' until I read more into it - which of course, I don't do for everything, so perhaps I've gone too far the other way.  It is why I do enjoy electronics - there isn't' much in the way ambiguity and one can use a fairly decent background in the subject to make an informed decision about idea's/tech.  On the flipside, biology, health, diets etc..  whilst we know a hell of a lot, there is still far too much room to allow claims to be made that cannot be proved, nor disproved, especially as its a very personal thing which is why many stand by their health choices with conviction, because pointing out their flaws is an attack on them.

I think I'm starting to rant now.  More bollocks posts please, its more entertaining and less rage-worthy than say - the DailyMails technology section (which btw I read before doing a workout, as the frustration and anger gives me energy).

He may have dodgy hair, but, this.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:31:55 pm by Buriedcode »

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #607 on: July 23, 2016, 03:27:27 pm »
The Dyson digital motor adverts really annoy me as there cam be no such thing as a digital electric motor, an electric motor is inherently analogue by its very nature. It might be digitally controlled but as soon as the electricity leaves the control and hits the motor it is analogue from there on, square wave sine wave or any other wave. BS marketing at its worst.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #608 on: July 24, 2016, 12:34:52 am »
Quote from: Buriedcode
It is why I do enjoy electronics - there isn't' much in the way ambiguity and one can used a fairly decent background in the subject to make an informed decision about idea's/tech.
yup ..... except for all those over-unity / free energy / power savers+ we constantly get bombarded with. After all .. em / mag fields are voodoo too :-)
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #609 on: July 27, 2016, 04:34:30 pm »
Quote from: Buriedcode
It is why I do enjoy electronics - there isn't' much in the way ambiguity and one can used a fairly decent background in the subject to make an informed decision about idea's/tech.
yup ..... except for all those over-unity / free energy / power savers+ we constantly get bombarded with. After all .. em / mag fields are voodoo too :-)

I would still consider those more 'electrical engineering'.  Whilst of course there's huge cross over between that an electronics, it could be that, as electronics is a natural extension of electrical engineering, and there are many more forums and hobbyist sites for it - the 'OU crowd' feel the need to post to engineers.. only to be shot down pretty damn quickly by those who are 'closed minded' (ergo: educated).

Offline SNGLinks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #610 on: July 30, 2016, 11:53:38 am »
The Dyson digital motor adverts really annoy me as there cam be no such thing as a digital electric motor, an electric motor is inherently analogue by its very nature. It might be digitally controlled but as soon as the electricity leaves the control and hits the motor it is analogue from there on, square wave sine wave or any other wave. BS marketing at its worst.

In one of their adverts they also claim their motors were carbon free. Yes they have no brushes but seem to imply low carbon emissions.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #611 on: July 30, 2016, 06:14:15 pm »
I just assume it is either on or off
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Online Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #612 on: July 31, 2016, 12:33:09 am »
As I understand, 'digital motor' is marketing for 'brushless motor'.  My washing machine has one.  My clothes come out with JPEG artefacts.

On a related note: I really don't like the words 'DC motor'.  Many people define what that means differently ("a brushless motor is DC!  Just plug it in!") depending on their context.  I think some uni courses teach people to put motors arbitrarily in 'DC' and 'AC' categories, but don't explain why they are doing it.

Offline SNGLinks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #613 on: August 03, 2016, 10:19:37 am »

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #614 on: August 03, 2016, 10:42:04 am »

A stepper motor would be a pretty good candidate for being called 'digital'

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #615 on: August 08, 2016, 03:35:32 pm »
A  stepper motor is a multi phase synchronous motor.

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #616 on: August 17, 2016, 11:48:02 am »
http://www.structuredwatertechnologies.com/

That's amazing... 250 dollars for an opaque version of a kid's bath toy...

Reckon we could combine this with homeopathy and make it even more potent? Or will the "naturalisation" of the water get rid of the homeopathic "vibrations" (which use such an awesome vibration mode that no form of spectroscopy can detect it - OR - that trying to measure it causes it to stop vibrating - convenient that ;))

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #617 on: August 17, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »
http://www.structuredwatertechnologies.com/

That's amazing... 250 dollars for an opaque version of a kid's bath toy...

Reckon we could combine this with homeopathy and make it even more potent? Or will the "naturalisation" of the water get rid of the homeopathic "vibrations" (which use such an awesome vibration mode that no form of spectroscopy can detect it - OR - that trying to measure it causes it to stop vibrating - convenient that ;))

You can tell that product is shit as they couldn't hire a web design company who would want to put their site in their portfolio :)

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #618 on: August 17, 2016, 12:09:54 pm »
You can tell that product is shit as they couldn't hire a web design company who would want to put their site in their portfolio :)

It reminds me of early websites from the late 90's/early 2000's xD

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #619 on: August 17, 2016, 12:51:07 pm »
http://www.en.broncorrector.com/

This device is disturbingly common on farms over here. It corrects earth radiation by being a free energy conductor :-+ It also blocks different kinds of radiation within a certain radius of the device.

The device looks like a capped sewer pipe. At least a somewhat appropriate location for bullshit.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #620 on: August 17, 2016, 01:02:20 pm »
Oh that's terrible. Does it undo the gallons of antibiotics they pump their herds with? :)

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #621 on: August 19, 2016, 09:00:54 pm »

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #622 on: August 20, 2016, 05:36:10 pm »
Take my money: $9999999999 !!!
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #623 on: August 24, 2016, 10:52:51 am »
Not sure if this has been posted before - but this is one of those scams created by disgusting people who mislead about serious illness.

http://www.pyroenergen.com/

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #624 on: August 24, 2016, 11:17:46 am »
I would love to see inside one of these machines to see if they really "work by enveloping the patient's body with a special electric field made of negatively-charged static electricity [as opposed to that positively-charged static electricity]"

Or, you know, if they're just a beeper and some LEDs tied to an NE555 timer...

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf