Author Topic: Another resonant charging road, this time in Sweden.  (Read 8521 times)

Offline Helio_CentraTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 04:15:59 pm by Helio_Centra »

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
Re: Another resonant charging road, this time in Sweden.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 06:09:50 pm »
Quote from teh article:
"Germany and Sweden have had demonstration facilities on public roads for several years" - ah yes. But those installations in Germany are wired (like oldschool trolleybus systems).
And have been mostly terminated in 2023, because: pointless. There simply are no electric trucks to charge (other than a handful of test trucks).
Upcoming in 2025 is a wireless test, maybe. Who knows.

Same nonsense, new year, new country, new funding.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 07:47:55 pm »
Innovation to charge batteries at 30% efficiency!! Yay!!
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 08:02:36 pm »
Bonus point if the electricity is generated from fossil fuels. ;D

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 07:12:11 am »
This might be: https://www.elonroad.com/

Just caught it on BBC Click! which is usually careful in what it shows - stuff is likely in prototype but has a fair chance of actually going somewhere.

The Elronroad prototype uses conductive pickup, so it's like the third rail on a railway. That's 650V smack in the middle of the road open to air - I can feel Dave's BUSTED video coming on now  >:D

But it ain't like that. The way it works is they have three pickups under the car, and the track is in sections so the three pickups will always be in two sections. Sections alternate power and return, so you have a proper circuit using only a single track. Camera under the car keeps everything lined up as it goes along.

Safety-wise, the car talks to the track and only those sections under the car are turned on, so the live part follows the car and there is no danger (baring cockups) to someone or something touching the track unless they crawl under the car.

Video showed a section of road (not sure if it was a test track or what, but seemed to be one lane of a normal dual-carriageway) and a Tesla (of course) doing the biz along it.

The section is probably on iPlayer if you're in the UK. If not I'm sure you'll have no problem trashing it based on personal assumptions rather than the actualite.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2024, 02:30:40 pm »
This might be: https://www.elonroad.com/

There are just so many reasons why this is a complete failure, not sure where to start.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2024, 03:18:38 pm »
Does that name "elonroad" have any significance?  To me it sounds like an attempt to steal name recognition from Elon Musk, and by inference credibility.  The fraudulent "Nikola" EV did this as well, trying to piggyback off the "Tesla" EV name.  I thought that was sleazy then, and it did not fill me with confidence about Nikola.

If "elonroad" means something in Swedish, then I apologize for my skepticism -- about the name.  The concept still seems un-promising though.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2024, 04:31:40 pm »
The (possible) musk link completely passed me without touching the sides!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2024, 04:32:12 pm »
not sure where to start

Anywhere.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2024, 05:59:36 pm »
Does that name "elonroad" have any significance?  To me it sounds like an attempt to steal name recognition from Elon Musk, and by inference credibility.  The fraudulent "Nikola" EV did this as well, trying to piggyback off the "Tesla" EV name.  I thought that was sleazy then, and it did not fill me with confidence about Nikola.

If "elonroad" means something in Swedish, then I apologize for my skepticism -- about the name.  The concept still seems un-promising though.

Trying to gain engineering credibility by associating onesself with Elon Musk is a bit like trying to gain financial credibility by associating onesself with Sam Bankman-Fried
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2024, 07:00:25 pm »

Trying to gain engineering credibility by associating onesself with Elon Musk is a bit like trying to gain financial credibility by associating onesself with Sam Bankman-Fried

Who said anything about engineering credibility?  Regardless, while I would probably disagree with you about most things "Musk", it's not worth having an argument over.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2024, 07:11:51 pm »

This has a long tradition which started with Elon stealing the name of Tesla ;)

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel, Sensorcat

Offline Kurets

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2024, 08:01:17 pm »
I expect the name to be at least trying to pass as just conjugation of "el on road" with el being what we use as abbreviation for electric (elektrisk) in Swedish. The "on road" being a literal translation of "på väg" which would be a typical Swedish slogan type name for electrification of a road "El på väg" would mean both "electricity on its way" and "electricity on the road".

The following users thanked this post: Someone, newbrain, mansaxel

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2024, 07:14:27 am »
Elonroad could be interpreted as "Electricity on road" which is pretty universal almost-english. Elon is a name used in Sweden too, and we have a white goods chain called Elon too.

No, I'd argue it's another (failed, as AVG noted) "something battery Chevy"-association trick.

( The Musk fanboys are strong, ofc mostly on the right, in Sweden too. But it don't mean it is right to worship a fascist-enabler. )

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2024, 02:01:24 pm »
Just watched the clip again (but a longer version this time). A truck they were using had "Evolution Road" branding on its side, so I think Elonroad is simply a contraction of that. Of course, 'Evolution Road' plays on EVs, as you would expect because it's all about electric vehicles. However, that's the project name and, as it turns out, there is already a company with that name (in health, but easy to get confused!). So perhaps the slightly more obvious Evonroad was potentially problematic.

Nevertheless, conspiracy theorists aren't persuaded by anything other than conspiracies  >:D

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2024, 03:46:29 pm »
( The Musk fanboys are strong, ofc mostly on the right, in Sweden too. But it don't mean it is right to worship a fascist-enabler. )
Nevertheless, conspiracy theorists aren't persuaded by anything other than conspiracies  >:D

I wasn't going to pollute this thread with further apparently-unrelated Musk stuff, but excuse me, but has anyone here suggested a conspiracy?  Or acted like a fanboy?  What am I missing?

The following users thanked this post: wraper, RJSV

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2024, 04:17:01 pm »
My comment may have been aimed at the anti-fanboys who seem to be able to find links without breaking sweat.  And, to be clear, I'm not a fanboy.

I presume that if the company name can be shown to be attempting to ride on His Muskness's coattails then that completely trashes their product, regardless of physics, commercial merits and practicability.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2024, 05:48:36 pm »
My comment may have been aimed at the anti-fanboys who seem to be able to find links without breaking sweat.  And, to be clear, I'm not a fanboy.

I presume that if the company name can be shown to be attempting to ride on His Muskness's coattails then that completely trashes their product, regardless of physics, commercial merits and practicability.

I don't think that deliberately choosing a name that rides on EM's coattails (which is apparently not the case here), means that the product is trash, but it does make me wonder about the judgement and ethics of the name-chooser.  And not because the Musk-association is bad (I actually mostly like what Musk has accomplished), but because of the "stolen glory" factor.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2024, 07:06:01 pm »
I am currently playing a game called Mini Airways. It's a straight rip heavily influenced by Mini Motorways and Mini Metro in style and playing, and obviously nicks the names to boot. It's a good game, and the developer acknowledges that the original two Mini games gave him the idea and he just used the style and name because he liked them, although he has changed a few things since. Perhaps importantly, the developer and publisher of the first two, Dinosaur Polo Club, are fine with that.

Also played another game, All Quiet Roads, that has a different style and name but is otherwise practically a straight copy of Mini Motorways. So close that DPO asked them to desist (but after an outcry have themselves desisted). The developer insists it isn't and that they thought it up without ever seeing Mini Motorways. Uh-huh.

I like Airways. Roads is meh (even though I like Motorways and it's the same gameplay). Just mentioning this to note that pinching a name doesn't have to mean they are automatically scum.

And now, back to our favourite topic to DEBUNK  ^-^
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 06:42:19 pm by PlainName »

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2024, 09:40:21 pm »
And have been mostly terminated in 2023, because: pointless. There simply are no electric trucks to charge (other than a handful of test trucks).
Upcoming in 2025 is a wireless test, maybe. Who knows.

Same nonsense, new year, new country, new funding.
There was no large pool of electric vehicles out there to begin with, that is changing in the new years.

What it all comes down to is cost. Asfalt in my country has 10-20 year lifespan (they use open asfalt, really nice in rain but doesn't last worth shit). IF they could put it in roads while only increasing the cost of resurfacing only slightly, it wouldn't take too long to become usable. I doubt they can bring the cost down that far, certainly not inductive. Capacitive probably not either, but it's the only way to get close I see.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2024, 06:07:00 pm »
Bonus point if the electricity is generated from fossil fuels. ;D
In Sweden, most of electricity (> 98%) comes from low-carbon sources (and we are a net exporter of electricity)
For total energy production, so including transport, there's still a lot of oil used, hence anything shifting towards electric is a net gain, carbon wise.
So, while I don't like low efficiency, I reserve my judgement for the moment.

In Italy (my original country), I would be 100% against it.

Sources:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-electricity-low-carbon?tab=chart&country=SWE~OWID_EU27~ITA~FRA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Sweden

So, no, no bonus points.   :-//
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf