Author Topic: [US] I require chicken salt  (Read 107 times)

langwadt, SingleBitError, themadhippy and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline exmadscientistTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Technically A Professional
[US] I require chicken salt
« on: Yesterday at 11:54:57 pm »
Reliable sources inform me that fries chips all my cooking will become significantly better if I learn to wield the majesty and power of chicken salt. Unreliable sources fail to inform me how to actually acquire the stuff in the US, where it is sufficiently uncommon that even the international markets around here don't have it.

I see various brands and options on eBay and a few direct-from-Oz options with huge shipping charges. Are there any brands I should be seeking out in particular or sources that have good shipping rates or good add-ons (I'm not averse to making a big order if it's full of the good stuff)?

Or even anyone who carries the real stuff here in the US?

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: [US] I require chicken salt
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:12:32 am »
That's a new term for me.  My original thought was a variation of KFC's "secret" recipe.  Most American versions seem to have thyme.  The Aussie versions I saw didn't have thyme.

Amazon sells several brands for $8 to $12, which is probably reasonable the cost of spices.  Even Home Deport advertises it. Sorry to be Captain Obvious.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: [US] I require chicken salt
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:14:01 pm »
Not the same thing, but something that perhaps fits a similar role, of being a umami-boosting delicious powder that goes well on almost anything: McCormick Umami Seasoning

https://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/herbs-and-spices/blends/all-purpose-seasoning-unami-with-mushroom-and-onion

The dominant flavor is actually mushroom, and I absolutely love the stuff on red meats in particular. It’s also fantastic for gravies, and it’s also tasty sprinkled onto fresh tomatoes. I am quite sad that I have used up my last jar of it, so I need to go back to USA and get some more…

As for chicken salt: also not the same thing, but have you ever used Chinese-style chicken bouillon powder? (They often call it simply “chicken powder”.) Unlike western bouillon powder/cubes, whose seasonings make it incompatible with most Asian dishes, the Chinese-style chicken powder doesn’t really contain any herbs or spices, so its flavor profile is “uncommitted” and can work in any cuisine. But it’s also yummy sprinkled on fries.

And what about just plain high quality chicken bouillon powder?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf