Poll

Is your country eligible?

Yes
271 (65.1%)
No
145 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 406

Voting closed: March 29, 2016, 12:24:45 am

Author Topic: Keysight Scope Giveaway  (Read 185095 times)

Offline PeterEE

• Contributor
Re: Keysight Scope Giveaway
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2016, 10:06:57 am »
...but is there any chance that you could get in contact with a local Keysight distributor and ask if they would be willing to exchange it for some other equipment of a lesser value and let them wear the additional costs, I’m pretty sure someone else also mentioned a similar thing where they simply didn’t need a scope of this calibre and would rather acquire a collection of other more useful equipment instead.

From the terms and conditions:
No substitution, transfer, or assignment of the prize is permitted

I can't even contact them to ask since that would constitute a "contact" under the terms and conditions.

Offline PeterEE

• Contributor
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2016, 10:10:31 am »
For an individual, the size of the prize is a curse. A $1000-$2000 prize would be more appropriate and more affordable.

Offline WattSekunde

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2016, 10:49:27 am »
Not always. I plan to buy a new scope  this year for my private lab. The ideal price tag is around 2000...3000 Euro (...3200$). If I were one of the lucky winners, I would love to invest that money+x for such a dream scope. Is a bit unreasonable, but it's my job and my hobby...

This marketing campaign aims more to professionals than hobbyists. Maybe Keysight should start another Scope Equipment Month for students and hobbyists with equipment from the lower price end.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:51:13 am by WattSekunde »

Offline PeterEE

• Contributor
« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2016, 11:13:22 am »
Yes, Keysight is geared toward businesses. But I suspect most of the people entering the giveaway are individuals.

Offline WattSekunde

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #204 on: March 07, 2016, 11:35:50 am »
Keysight could set up a webpage with the exact or estimated conditions, costs, tax, contact data (local distributor) etc. for each approved country. This should be possible for the publicity department and/or lawyers of such a international selling company.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:43:33 am by WattSekunde »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #205 on: March 07, 2016, 12:09:48 pm »
Keysight could set up a webpage with the exact or estimated conditions, costs, tax, contact data (local distributor) etc. for each approved country. This should be possible for the publicity department and/or lawyers of such a international selling company.

I would think that might be risky.

The best thing they could do is simply point out that any tax and customs issues are the responsibility of the recipient ... which they have done.  It would be somewhat of an effort to do something like that for all participating countries - and there would be hell to pay if they got something wrong.

Offline WattSekunde

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2016, 01:49:02 pm »
Yes, life is somewhat risky. Lawyers could magically handle this with words on paper. ;) But there are only 17 participating countries outside the USA. And there are local Keysight distributors in each of these countries. They could do the delivery without extra customs payments? Maybe I'm wrong because I am an EE not a lawyer.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2016, 03:54:45 pm »
Yes, Keysight is geared toward businesses. But I suspect most of the people entering the giveaway are individuals.
Do some research on what your tax liability actually is and when you have to pay. It could be a year before you have a cash liability which is plenty of time to sell it at a cash profit.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline PeterEE

• Contributor
« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2016, 04:41:37 pm »
Unless some new piece of information comes to light, I will wait 14 days without contacting Keysight and forfeit my prize. That puts it back into the pool for you guys to win should you want to.

Ultimately it's my fault for not knowing how much these scopes cost. My Rigol was only $400. If I knew they were $16000+ dollars, I might have not applied.  That combined with the fact that I live in a country with an aggressive tax authority, makes for a difficult situation.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2016, 05:51:02 pm »
Hi Peter,

here is some good info on sweepstakes tax in the US: http://finance.zacks.com/much-state-federal-tax-owed-sweepstakes-winnings-6171.html

But to be honest - I think if you accept the price and put it up for sale - you will come out with a profit enough to buy a great scope for yourself. But if you are lucky Keysight will help as much as they can - including providing their cost price or dealer price as the value as per above listed article.

There might even be a forum member here who can/will help you and buy the scope of you. So maybe put it in the for sale section - post where you live and see if someone local will help out against some form of security. Then at least you get something out of the deal. But find a buyer first :)  before accepting...

But stay positive! :) and congratulations!

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: March 07, 2016, 06:26:55 pm »
Hi Peter,

here is some good info on sweepstakes tax in the US: http://finance.zacks.com/much-state-federal-tax-owed-sweepstakes-winnings-6171.html

But to be honest - I think if you accept the price and put it up for sale - you will come out with a profit enough to buy a great scope for yourself. But if you are lucky Keysight will help as much as they can - including providing their cost price or dealer price as the value as per above listed article.

Quote from: Peter_EE
I can't even contact them to ask since that would constitute a "contact" under the terms and conditions.

An important point from that article :- A winner is exempt from taxes if they refuse to accept the prize.

If that is correct then Peter could contact Keysight without risk as he can simply refuse to accept the prize.

Blah IANAL blah.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2016, 06:31:10 pm »
Hi Peter,

Quote from: Peter_EE

An important point from that article :- A winner is exempt from taxes if they refuse to accept the prize.

If that is correct then Peter could contact Keysight without risk as he can simply refuse to accept the prize.

Blah IANAL blah.

As I said - I think Keysight will help find the best possible solution :) somehow - they are not an evil Danaher Corp...   :-DD

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: March 07, 2016, 06:39:35 pm »

As I said - I think Keysight will help find the best possible solution :) somehow - they are not an evil Danaher Corp...   :-DD

Yeah I completely agree - but from his post earlier Peter thought his only 100% safe way out was to _not_ contact them.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2016, 08:12:56 pm »

Yeah I completely agree - but from his post earlier Peter thought his only 100% safe way out was to _not_ contact them.

We're working on it! We don't want this to be a burden to win, but absolutely must stay legally compliant.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2016, 10:45:57 pm »
Germany strikes again.
I was contacted by a winner of the weekly 4000X scope in Germany and it's going to cost 30% in taxes (on the retail price of this, that's HUGE) for him to collect it.
He can't even donate it to the local Hackerspace  :palm:

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: March 07, 2016, 10:52:32 pm »
Depending on who you are, it could be 30% in the USA as well.

My wife is a CPA and I am hoping she can help me understand. If I won the 6000x it could cost me $25k in taxes from what I can tell so far. That would be a bit rough.

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #216 on: March 07, 2016, 11:12:51 pm »
here it would be even worse, it's 60% in taxes, absurd...I know, you must be very frustrated, win and can't colect, I hope something works out for you

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: March 08, 2016, 12:05:21 am »
Good news, I just got word from my CPA tax professional (wife in this case) that my losses from last year are enough to offset winning the $70k 6000 X-Series without having to pay a dime. That would take some of the sting from the R&D I spent the last couple of years.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:02:20 am by rx8pilot »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #218 on: March 08, 2016, 04:52:42 am »
.... that my losses from last year are enough to offset winning the $70k 6000 X-Series

Um... errr .... that is good news .... I think.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: March 08, 2016, 05:04:59 am »
.... that my losses from last year are enough to offset winning the $70k 6000 X-Series

Last 2 years were R&D years, so it was all spending and no selling. This year, I hope to sell my new developments. Quite nervous since it is all a personal investment - fingers crossed. A big win would really help achieve the dreams I am chasing.

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #220 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:14 am »
In the terms and conditions it says "Winners of this sweepstakes agree to provide a written quote for publication regarding the use of the prize within 6 months of receiving the prize."

I'm assuming they are hoping you will provide a nice story on what you do with the scope, which they can use for marketing material.  The reality is most people will end up saying "Sold it to pay the tax liability."

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #221 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:23 am »

Last 2 years were R&D years, so it was all spending and no selling. This year, I hope to sell my new developments. Quite nervous since it is all a personal investment - fingers crossed. A big win would really help achieve the dreams I am chasing.
OK then.  Best of luck with your venture.

I'll cross some fingers for you over on this side of the Pacific.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #222 on: March 08, 2016, 05:43:06 am »
Good news, I just got word from my CPA tax professional (wife in this case) that my losses from last year are enough to offset winning the $70k 6000 X-Series without having to pay a dime. That would take some of the sting from the R&D I spent the last couple of years.

That's still money out of your pocket eventually! There ain't no free lunch when it comes to the tax department.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #223 on: March 08, 2016, 05:44:37 am »
I'm assuming they are hoping you will provide a nice story on what you do with the scope, which they can use for marketing material.  The reality is most people will end up saying "Sold it to pay the tax liability."

Just give'em some fairy tale story filled with synergy buzzword and they'll be on their way  ;D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2016, 05:45:46 am »

Wow, 2 years of personal R&D is a big gamble, good luck. Anything people on here would be interested in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf