Author Topic: Keysight 6000X 6Ghz Voting Is Live vote for Carlos A.  (Read 189345 times)

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
Re: Keysight 6000X 6Ghz Voting Is Live vote for Carlos A.
« Reply #625 on: April 21, 2016, 01:29:06 pm »

Keysight has decided to give me a scope! 6000x - LOADED! Its a win and the support here has a LOT to do with it.
That is just awesome!  :-+ I'm happy this worked out so well for you!! And please do us a favor and do a review video about it!
If love to see videos of Nilu, David and Carlos making use of their shiny new toys, even if it's too prove what most of us suspect... two of the three 'scopes won't even break a sweat.

The following users thanked this post: Monittosan

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #626 on: April 21, 2016, 05:31:36 pm »

Keysight has decided to give me a scope! 6000x - LOADED! Its a win and the support here has a LOT to do with it.
That is just awesome!  :-+ I'm happy this worked out so well for you!! And please do us a favor and do a review video about it!
If love to see videos of Nilu, David and Carlos making use of their shiny new toys, even if it's too prove what most of us suspect... two of the three 'scopes won't even break a sweat.

Did David get a scope?  If so I missed it.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline rx8pilotTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #627 on: April 21, 2016, 08:18:33 pm »

I got back from my trade show late last night - now I can begin to process the reality of what Keysight decided to do.  :phew:

When I spoke with Daniel yesterday morning, he must have thought an 8 year dialed the wrong number. We managed to get through the conversation but I was at a big trade show and had to maintain my professionalism until later - where I freaked out and jumped up and down. The decision to do this shows a remarkably generous and considerate group of people at Keysight. They had ZERO obligation to do anything other than ship a scope to the winner. The decision to do this was hugely influenced by the group here on the EEVBlog and am so grateful for that support. This will be a turning point for my business since I get a myriad of new opportunities without the finance strains that are normally associated with capital equipment.

Congratulations Carlos!
What an amazing success of this thread on eevblg.
And what an amazing move my Keysight and Daniel.
It seems like the spirit of HP is back!

Yes, this is a WIN for the EEVBlog, integrity, and honesty. Keysight has gained immeasurable goodwill.

We learned a lot by running this contest, and we really appreciate all of your feedback and support.  If you hadn't rallied around Carlos (rx8pilot), we wouldn't have given him a scope.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

There is no question that Keysight has a notebook filled with 'what NOT to do' and 2017 will look and feel different. Of course for this particular moment - I am most thankful for the EEVBlog rally and Keysights recognition of that.

They said they'd take care of you, but a loaded 6000x is above and beyond  :clap:

I would say so!!! Daniel had mentioned that they would 'take care of me' but I honestly did not think it would be anywhere NEAR the MSO6000X Loaded. That took more than a moment to digest, in fact, I called Daniel on the phone right away just to confirm. Generous is too small a word to describe that move. Wow. Stunned. Excited. Relieved. This was their contest, their equipment, and their sole decision so all I could do is wait to hear the outcome. As it turned out, the outcome was just jaw dropping.

But I wanted to write here, to tell you that your video was really nice!

I really have a lot of respect for engineers that take up all the disciplines in their business, including public relations and project management.

What really striked me most in your video, is your passion and your honesty!
You can really see that you like the stuff you are working on, and you seem so honest person!
In Swedish there is an expression "glimten i ögon". This expression is really suitable to your video :)

I am happy that you got the scope! Well deserved!
Hope it is an enabler for your business, and that it will allow you to take up many new cool FPGA projects!

Are you looking into the Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ architecture?
What about High-Level Synthesis? Are you a strong believer of "All-in-C" based design? I am! :)

Good luck with your new scope! I am sure you will have a lot of fun in learning and experimenting!

Thank you for the kind words. This scope will certainly be an enabler - an opportunity. It is the beginning of a journey of learning and experimenting that will go on for quite some time. At this time, I have a list of ideas to develop that will take advantage of the the new instrument, but they will all have a steep learning curve. It's not the scope itself that I have to learn - I also have to learn the detailed reality of high speed electronics. This instrument is the opportunity for me to apply my book knowledge and turn that into practical and marketable knowledge. I intend to push myself to the limits and beyond(as I have done my whole life). I have every expectation that I will not only use this instrument to it's potential - but get to the point where even this one is too limited and move up again.

As a side note - when I started my mechanical design/manufacturing company, I just did it. I purchased SolidWorks and started designing. I struggled with CNC shops because they were hard to communicate with and slow so I did dome research and purchased a CNC machine. I did not know ANYTHING about CNC machining. I did not know how to put the tools in it or even how to turn it on. A few years later, I could no longer outsource production parts because they were so complicated the local shops with decades of experience could not make them. That was a fast and furious learning curve that gained a huge advantage for me. I am now in the middle of doing the same thing in electronics. This is good. So exciting.

Time to sort out the plan to give my old scopes away......Thank you all for giving me this opportunity. From my whole family.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Fohdeesha

• Contributor
« Reply #628 on: April 21, 2016, 10:12:23 pm »
Carlos - you gotta post a pic of the shirt Jason made you  :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #629 on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:40 pm »
Carlos - you gotta post a pic of the shirt Jason made you  :-DD

Yes! So, on Monday I traveled to to Las Vegas for a big trade show as I mentioned earlier. First order of business was to attend an epic party put on by my friends in the film production world. Most of them were big supporters of the Test To Impress campaign, but one of them had a particularly amazing gift waiting for me at the party. Check it out.

He had copied the design of the shirt I wore in the original video and had a custom embroidered shirt made for my arrival. Amazing!

The following users thanked this post: Monittosan, Fohdeesha

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #630 on: April 22, 2016, 12:50:43 am »
They said they'd take care of you, but a loaded 6000x is above and beyond  :clap:

I would say so!!! Daniel had mentioned that they would 'take care of me' but I honestly did not think it would be anywhere NEAR the MSO6000X Loaded.

When I first learned that Keysight would 'take care of you', my thoughts drifted across a number of possibilities.  There was one for the 6000X - but that seemed such a fantasy that it wasn't worth dwelling on.  But it happened!

Keysight have taken a potentially ugly situation and turned it into a stellar success.  Not only did they get their name out into the world and have been able to maintain the integrity of the giveaway, but also gain an enormous goodwill bonus (in a key area of their marketing demographic) by this act.

From the results, it would seem Nilu played the social media card with great effectiveness - possibly through running a full-time campaign.  While we may have raised our collective eyebrows about that, she fulfilled the requirements to win to the satisfaction of Keysight.  While the water heater project may have been the subject of her video submission, I do hope that the scope will be applied in more demanding use.

Here's hoping for something good in 2017 (that includes Australia?).

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #631 on: April 22, 2016, 07:03:48 am »
Congrats Carlos and huge props to Keysight for lending a helping hand.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #632 on: April 22, 2016, 09:15:39 am »

I'd love to see videos of Nilu, David and Carlos making use of their shiny new toys, even if it's to prove what most of us suspect... two of the three 'scopes won't even break a sweat.

Did David get a scope?  If so I missed it.
I think in the announcement video Daniel said that all the top three were getting something. He didn't say what though.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #633 on: April 22, 2016, 09:23:19 am »
it would be really weird if 1st and 3rd position get a full loaded 6000x and the 2nd gets nothing or a lower model ...

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #634 on: April 22, 2016, 09:44:10 am »
No, why would it?

Keysight made it quite clear that there is only one prize awarded, won by Nilu. The scope given to Carlos was never part of the contest. And there is no reason why David also should get one.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #635 on: April 22, 2016, 12:16:01 pm »
With David's voting pattern showing obvious anomalies and the vote cull removing nearly half of his votes, I don't think he would have endeared himself to anyone.  Legally they are under no obligation to give him anything, but Keysight could give him a mug and have fulfilled their publicly stated intention.

Whatever they do give him will have been solely because they wanted Carlos (in third position) to have a scope and it would have been a bit strange to omit him in any bonus since he came second.  I hope he appreciates whatever he does get was because of the support for Carlos.

Offline vindoline

• Supporter
« Reply #636 on: April 22, 2016, 04:27:14 pm »
Fantastic! Congrats to Carlos! Huge goodwill to Keysight!

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #637 on: April 22, 2016, 04:55:21 pm »

Awesome!

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #638 on: April 22, 2016, 05:10:39 pm »
We are giving David K a scope as well. 5000 organic votes is still a crazy high number, and I had conversations with him throughout the course of the contest about what he was doing to get votes. 

All of the top three worked really, really hard to get their votes. I definitely don't support the buying of votes, but my understanding after talking with David is that a friend of his did that without him knowing.  I believe that 100%, but this forum is not the right place to flesh that out because it will escalate mercilessly :).

Congrats to everyone who walked away from Scope Month with either a scope or some new knowledge!

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, rx8pilot, ChunkyPastaSauce

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #639 on: April 22, 2016, 05:33:15 pm »
Thumbs up for Keysight!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #640 on: April 22, 2016, 05:41:37 pm »
.....but this forum is not the right place to flesh that out because it will escalate mercilessly :).

Congrats to everyone who walked away from Scope Month with either a scope or some new knowledge!

There was clearly a learning curve on the contest mechanics. For whatever bumps there may have been, Keysight patched the wounds with a GOLDEN BAND-AID which shows the dedication to a happy ending. Onward and upward now. I, for one, am not looking back - I am looking for a FedEx truck with a Keysight box!  :-+

.....and brushing up on my 'signal integrity books' now.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #641 on: April 22, 2016, 06:11:33 pm »

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #642 on: April 22, 2016, 06:58:27 pm »
I am looking for a FedEx truck with a Keysight box!  :-+

Better watch them very carefully   :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #643 on: April 23, 2016, 12:59:58 am »
We are giving David K a scope as well. 5000 organic votes is still a crazy high number, and I had conversations with him throughout the course of the contest about what he was doing to get votes. 

All of the top three worked really, really hard to get their votes. I definitely don't support the buying of votes, but my understanding after talking with David is that a friend of his did that without him knowing.  I believe that 100%, but this forum is not the right place to flesh that out because it will escalate mercilessly :).

There was always that niggle in the back of my mind of the possibility that David wasn't directly responsible for the vote buying.  Anybody could have done it and done it without his knowledge.  Since Daniel is confident this is the case, then we have been somewhat too harsh in our criticism.  I hope David takes all that and whacks his friend over the head with it.  I offer my apologies for any unfair harshness.

Quite obviously, there have been communications and discussions that, together with voting data, will paint a clearer picture - but such information is not for our eyes, however much our curiosity might beg.  Sorting through it all was always Keysight's responsibility and the result indicates they have done this with fairness and impartiality. Giving David a scope is only appropriate.

Hats off to Keysight, Daniel and the crew.  What had the potential to go south has been handled better than could be expected.  The 3 standouts in the competition have a nice scope each, the supporters will be happy their efforts made a difference and Keysight have not only reached far and wide, but earned far more brownie points than they could have imagined.  It's a Win-Win-Win-Win-Win! (...-Win-Win ...-Win...?  How many 'Win's should there be??)

Congratulations all around!

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #644 on: April 23, 2016, 03:00:09 am »
"A good friend will help you move, a true friend will help you move a body"
"A true friend accepts who you are, but also helps you to become who you should be"
"A man is known by the company he keeps"

Ok... I'll stop now

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline ftonello

• Contributor
    • FTTENG
« Reply #645 on: April 29, 2016, 11:37:17 am »
Congrats Carlos,
I hope you enjoy your new scope!!!
Maybe in the future you can run a topic here with your "time to time" use of this amazing oscilloscope, and give us a idea of your projects and how you managed your problems with it.
Once again, congrats from Brazil.

Best to your business.

Flávio
Hi from Brazil!!!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #646 on: April 30, 2016, 07:17:57 pm »
A little birdie at Keysight told me that the new 6000X scope is in-process at the factory. While I don't have a specific arrival time, I am guessing it won't be long now.

Initially, I will not be able to push the limits of its functionality because I do not have the right probes yet and also don't have a project yet that will push the limits. With that said - I have been browsing the manual and feel like I have so many treats to come that have nothing to do with the fast front-end of the scope. There are so many tricks that are targeted to speeding up the design and validation of a circuit. Triggering, analysis, etc.

Fundamentals: Coming from an old Tektronix TDS754C which is rather limited - the basic functions of this new scope will likely strike me as amazing. It is the little things that get used every day that I am very excited about.
Looking forward to seeing how useful zone triggering helps in the real world (3000's and 4000's have this as well)
Auto measurements and statistics.
Capture and playback through the ARB's
Serial decode and triggering from SPI and I2C
Reference waveform that I can save/recall. (technically possible on the TEK, but so painfully slow and needs a 3.5 floppy)
The PWR software is very interesting, but to take full advantage I will need a pair of DC current probes.
WATRHETR software option can do an a real-time analysis of magneto-inductive flux reacted water thermal rise characteristics. :-DD

Seriously, the day-to-day benefit of the basic functions will be very helpful immediately. The fancier 6Ghz front end, Jitter and eye analysis, etc will ensure that I have plenty of room to grow. The first year is targeted at making enough money to buy the full probe package needed to let this bird fly. Even if I find used probes, I need to count on $10-15k at some point over the next year.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #647 on: April 30, 2016, 07:54:37 pm »
The 54006A can be found for a relatively reasonable price on eBay. It's a 6GHz Lo-Z probe good for browsing. Make sure if you purchase that it comes with the original BNC-SMA adapter, inline capacitor, both walking stick probes and a set of replacement resistors for both probes.

The inline capacitor allows you to probe high speed serial offset DC signals without biasing/loading them too much. Frequently such signals are coded in such a way to maintain an equal number of 1s and 0 over time, and you can reasonably use the inline cap in these cases. (http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/AND9075-D.PDF)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #648 on: April 30, 2016, 07:55:24 pm »
People that have received these fantastic products may want to consider incorporating them in their insurance policies as some companies may require additional notification and amendments to existing polices to ensure proper protection.

Hell for a 5k scope I would be half tempted to bonk somebody on the head and then do a runner with it, for a 10k scope I would probably bonk them twice just to be sure. ::) :P   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #649 on: April 30, 2016, 08:03:05 pm »
The 54006A can be found for a relatively reasonable price on eBay. It's a 6GHz Lo-Z probe good for browsing. Make sure if you purchase that it comes with the original BNC-SMA adapter, inline capacitor, both walking stick probes and a set of replacement resistors for both probes.

The inline capacitor allows you to probe high speed serial offset DC signals without biasing/loading them too much. Frequently such signals are coded in such a way to maintain an equal number of 1s and 0 over time, and you can reasonably use the inline cap in these cases. (http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/AND9075-D.PDF)

Excellent suggestion - nice low cost place to start for signals that can tolerate a low-z probe. The app note was good reading as well.

People that have received these fantastic products may want to consider incorporating them in their insurance policies as some companies may require additional notification and amendments to existing polices to ensure proper protection.

Hell for a 5k scope I would be half tempted to bonk somebody on the head and then do a runner with it, for a 10k scope I would probably bonk them twice just to be sure. ::) :P   

Done! (good point) - In the last year I have added a pick and place machine, laser marking, computers, test equipment, and now this high value scope. It is all covered now and hardly cost anything.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf