Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 588216 times)

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #3875 on: December 01, 2023, 10:49:02 pm »
People who:

* Leave chunks of jam in the butter
* Leave chunks of butter in the jam
* Leave crumbs in either
And people who put the teaspoon in coffee first then sugar second so bits of coffee end up in the sugar. No big deal for coffee drinkers but terrible for following tea drinkers.

It's just bad form all round. It's EASY to NOT do it, and the only reason for doing it is a lack of consideration, and/or cleanliness.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3876 on: December 02, 2023, 06:31:02 am »
...yeah but you have to forgive some, that's behaviour during the first 20 minutes, after getting up out of warm bed, 70 % asleep still (6 am).
   I actually DID self-correct the order of instant coffee, AFTER sugar...just because it's a correct way, as described above.  Sheet; I've gone maybe 55 years doing the backwards way!
   Felt smug, when I figured out why it's sugar first...(unless there's someone avoiding any sugar intake completely).

The other sloppy drips and crumbs aren't good either, when sharing kitchen stuff with others.  Except in college.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3877 on: December 02, 2023, 06:33:27 am »
Don't put sugar - problem solved, both for the spoiling problem and for your insuline levels. ;D

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3878 on: December 02, 2023, 06:25:33 pm »
And people who put the teaspoon in coffee first then sugar second
Does one not own a set of sugar tongs?

Has one tried scooping granulated sugar with tongs? One may struggle, although one wouldn't find it altogether an impossibility.  :P ;D

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3879 on: December 02, 2023, 06:37:23 pm »
Don't put sugar - problem solved, both for the spoiling problem and for your insuline levels. ;D

I gave up on sugar years ago. Partly becuase of the coffee drinkers and there need to drip brown crack into the sugar all the time. The other part is I spent a lot of time near motorcycle racing and a 1kg bag of sugar lasts years in a caravan that is used for events.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3880 on: December 02, 2023, 06:38:29 pm »
People who:

* Leave crumbs in either
And people who put the teaspoon in coffee first then sugar second so bits of coffee end up in the sugar. No big deal for coffee drinkers but terrible for following tea drinkers.
That's not as annoying as people giving you a cup of black coffee filled to the very brim, and telling you to help yourself to cream.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV, lezginka_kabardinka

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3881 on: December 03, 2023, 09:09:17 pm »
I find the unremitting "you're great" in the comments on YouTube so annoying:

context

So for an easy win (practice) I've been following Ben Eater's computer clock / 555 timer series of 4 videos. And very good viewing they are ..

aaaaaaaaaaand what can go wrong - as usual a couple of things for me  :palm:

the first mistake was a copycat error but the second one seems to have been an LED issue/fault  - reading the comment space for some sense of how others have faired turns out to be pointless, as viewers can't resist just praising their YouTube guru. Seldom confirming even if they actually built the thing. [ed spelling]

... now my Blue LED is flashing as it should I should comment that my previous not Blue LED was double tapping when the variable resistor was set low  :-// [edited high]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 10:29:40 pm by armandine2 »
In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught - Hunter S Thompson

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3882 on: December 03, 2023, 11:22:14 pm »
People who:

* Leave crumbs in either
That's not as annoying as people giving you a cup of black coffee filled to the very brim, and telling you to help yourself to cream.

Back in the day, when my wife & I both drank plain black coffee, cafes/roadhouses & the like would fill the cup up with boiling water.
Not a good idea when I was travelling around with work, as my offsider would finish his coffee & be "champing at the bit" to hit the road while I was still waiting for my drink to cool down enough to be drinkable.

Even worse, were the "takeaway" places that sold coffee & tea in a Styrofoam cup.
Such cups were intended to be placed in a solid plastic holder, but nobody ever seemed to do so.
One night at the "Trots/Pacing", I bought two coffees & as I tried to navigate through the crowd, I was bumped, causing the Styrofoam to distort & spill.

The scalding stuff poured over my left hand, particularly under my wedding ring.
It was instantaneous agony.

I managed to get some crushed ice from a bar which relieved it for a while, but the drive home was still very painful.
As it was Winter & cold, with drizzling rain, hanging my hand outside helped a bit.
When we got home, it was still bad, & SWMBO had to go out in the rain to a scarily situated coin operated ice machine for a bag of ice.
Near filling a bowl with ice, then adding water relieved the pain enough to sleep, & I awoke with a pain free, but very itchy hand.
Over the next week, a layer of skin peeled off, & all was well.

We both went back to coffee with milk after that!

I was an adult, but just imagine if that hot stuff had landed on a child!

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3883 on: December 04, 2023, 11:16:34 am »
... now my Blue LED is flashing as it should I should comment that my previous not Blue LED was double tapping when the variable resistor was set low  :-//
having even a very basic sub-$100 scope allows to avoid having to dive into the garbage container under the youtube videos that's for some reason is known as "comments section".

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3884 on: December 04, 2023, 11:26:26 am »
... now my Blue LED is flashing as it should I should comment that my previous not Blue LED was double tapping when the variable resistor was set low  :-//
having even a very basic sub-$100 scope allows to avoid having to dive into the garbage container under the youtube videos that's for some reason is known as "comments section".

getting the scope out was third on the list - which should've been already out to look at the waveforms  :palm: too lazy
In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught - Hunter S Thompson

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3885 on: December 06, 2023, 08:35:10 am »
that clock module circuit is too good for a breadboard so I'm putting it on a pcb (in the breadboard style).

And I'm using sockets for the logic gates - 14 - pin.

I need a few more, so we'll take a look at RS  :palm:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 10:23:22 pm by armandine2 »

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3886 on: December 06, 2023, 10:55:20 am »
And I'm using sockets for the logic gates - 14 - pin.
speaking of which, btw, while we're at it: does anyone know, by chance, if KiCad has a footprint for surface-mounting these, and how that may be called? The idea is to bend or cut their legs and solder them as 2.54mm pitch SMT DIP to use the existing pile of through hole ICs without having to drill holes.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3887 on: December 07, 2023, 06:00:26 pm »
People who:

* Leave crumbs in either

I just went to get some “Marmite”, and found a huge greasy slick of butter sitting on the top… niiiiiiice. Have asked them MANY TIMES OVER DECADES not to. This is slothenly, selfish and just lazy.

People who cut  onion on the bread board at the toaster and don't wipe it or mark it fouled.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3888 on: December 07, 2023, 06:12:56 pm »
People who cut  onion on the bread board at the toaster and don't wipe it or mark it fouled.
mmmm onion bread  and  the boards now covered with a  natural antibacterial cleaner,double bonus.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3889 on: December 09, 2023, 09:19:38 pm »
People who:

* Leave crumbs in either

Back in the day, when my wife & I both drank plain black coffee, cafes/roadhouses & the like would fill the cup up with boiling water.
Not a good idea when I was travelling around with work, as my offsider would finish his coffee & be "champing at the bit" to hit the road while I was still waiting for my drink to cool down enough to be drinkable.

Even worse, were the "takeaway" places that sold coffee & tea in a Styrofoam cup.
Such cups were intended to be placed in a solid plastic holder, but nobody ever seemed to do so.
One night at the "Trots/Pacing", I bought two coffees & as I tried to navigate through the crowd, I was bumped, causing the Styrofoam to distort & spill.

The scalding stuff poured over my left hand, particularly under my wedding ring.
It was instantaneous agony.

I managed to get some crushed ice from a bar which relieved it for a while, but the drive home was still very painful.
As it was Winter & cold, with drizzling rain, hanging my hand outside helped a bit.
When we got home, it was still bad, & SWMBO had to go out in the rain to a scarily situated coin operated ice machine for a bag of ice.
Near filling a bowl with ice, then adding water relieved the pain enough to sleep, & I awoke with a pain free, but very itchy hand.
Over the next week, a layer of skin peeled off, & all was well.

We both went back to coffee with milk after that!

I was an adult, but just imagine if that hot stuff had landed on a child!

There is absolutely zero reason to serve boiling beverages...  Nobody can drink it!

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3890 on: December 09, 2023, 10:45:56 pm »
There is absolutely zero reason to serve boiling beverages...  Nobody can drink it!
There is no direct relation between serving boiling beverages and being able to drink them. One does not render another automatically pointless.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3891 on: December 10, 2023, 12:03:12 am »
There is no direct relation between serving boiling beverages and being able to drink them. One does not render another automatically pointless.

Serving boiling beverages in a takeaway scenario, especially in flimsy containers is pointless in business terms.
A minimal time saving is offset by the possibility of having your backside sued.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3892 on: December 10, 2023, 01:31:02 am »
Serving boiling beverages in a takeaway scenario, especially in flimsy containers is pointless in business terms.
A minimal time saving is offset by the possibility of having your backside sued.
Ah yes, did I miss the "takeaway" part? In that case, right, I agree. In addition, for some reason, I find that e.g. takeaway coffee with that lid, you know, that kind with only a small drinking hole to avoid spilling it in the car, feels much hotter when you drink it through that hole in the lid than the very same coffee with the lid removed. I wonder why.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3893 on: December 10, 2023, 02:26:42 am »
Ah yes, did I miss the "takeaway" part? In that case, right, I agree. In addition, for some reason, I find that e.g. takeaway coffee with that lid, you know, that kind with only a small drinking hole to avoid spilling it in the car, feels much hotter when you drink it through that hole in the lid than the very same coffee with the lid removed. I wonder why.

I've noticed that too!
Such containers are much safer than the horrible Styrofoam things which were common years ago, though.

In a non-takeaway situation, the over-hot coffee is just an annoyance, so is not as much of a "pet peeve"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 02:30:05 am by vk6zgo »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3894 on: December 10, 2023, 11:44:07 am »
takeaway coffee with that lid, you know, that kind with only a small drinking hole to avoid spilling it in the car, feels much hotter when you drink it through that hole in the lid than the very same coffee with the lid removed. I wonder why.

Perhaps because when you normally sip there is a fair amount of air getting mixed up as well, which cools the drink. When you suck through the hole there is no air, so no cooling.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3895 on: December 10, 2023, 11:50:17 am »
Rant:
I love watching people do horrible things to old machinery, I also love watching people restore old machinery... and even destroy old machinery in amusing ways.

However, for some reason, this particular group cause me issues.

This video.  I do not know how many of you know anything at all about bikes, but basically...  neither do these guys.  Not the slightest clue.  I am honestly surprised they didn't get SERIOUSLY hurt here.

First...  The want to fit a "decompression valve" to a racing scrambler.  No, just no.  Why?  Because they are short-asses, don't know how to fix the engine to start properly and believe it's too hard to kick over.
Second... they lower it, soften it and then remove material from the seat!  If they ever give this bike to a profressional or someone who knows how to ride it, they will potentially suffer a broken back on the first jump the take on it.

Then they come to trying to "pull start" the bike.... with a FIXED tow rope on the forks... in 1st.  FACE PALM SMACK.  I am watching this ranting at the screen!  "You are just going to lock up the rear wheel in 1st.  The fixed tow rope is going lock out on you and send you down hard... and the tow rope is going to get fouled in the wheels...  all of which then immediately happen.  Did they figure it out?  Did they wonder why that happened and try something a bit more sensible?  Nope.  They just got back up and repeated it....  They are EXTREMELY lucky that tow rope did not foul in the chain and pull the riders foot in there too.

Then they get to riding it.  They run around with the clutch pulled in 90% of the time, trying to ride it like a bicycle with a temporary engine.  They think the bike is broken because it keeps stalling out.  It's not, it's because they keep blipping it and letting it idle back with the clutch in.  Highly tuned 2 strokes like these do NOT have throttle dampers.  If you blip them and let it return to idle it will ... half the time... stall.  This is not an issue when ridden properly with the clutch OUT 99% of the time.  They have very light fly-wheels for a reason and require the whole drive train to be connected to maintain themselves basically.   Stalling the engine or locking up the rear end on braking are common, but easily fixed if riding properly and in the right gear.

So they get up to some speed, about half the speed an experienced rider would have got to, like they hit 40mph on the straight, I'd have had that thing up to 60 and a good rider close to 80 or the rev limiter on the bike in top gear.

To slow down for a corner, the immediately pull the clutch in and then ride the rear brake only to try and slow the bike down, all while blipping the throttle to try and stop the bike from stalling.  If they just left the f'ing clutch OUT and let the engine do the rear braking, grabbed a whole load of front brake they would stop in 1/10th the distance, and get the rear wheel set out correctly to simple boot the throttle and powerslide throught the corner.

This "clutching" on braking is not just a rant about this video, it's a rant about nearly every american YouTuber who "self taught" themselves "stick" or riding a dirt bike.  I see it all the time.  As soon as it comes to braking, they disengage the clutch.  Cars, go karts, dirt bikes and road bikes.  It is not a wonder why the road death stats for US bikers is so damn high.

Do NOT attempt ANY of this at home... or at work... or ever.  Please seek even 1 hours training.
https://youtu.be/LXNPYlCLNkM

« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 11:57:56 am by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: helius

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3896 on: December 14, 2023, 09:10:32 pm »
So last week a small blue DMC crimp tool turns up to work with the grumble that a anvil is sticking. So I take a gander and note no issue but I strip is down and give it a clean and a dab of lube. I found I nice curl of swarf in there so just assumed that wouldn't help. There was some grime about as the tool looks like it has been in the tool kit for a few years.

But I reassembled and then checked the gap with the correct plain plug and sent it on its merry way. Only for the customer to complain that the anvil is sticking and sent a picture to the boss. So I get asked how this could happen etc.

The tool got sent in today again. We all looked at the anvil that was stuck out. Until I blew the bit of dirt away. Anvils are nice and silver colour not black ffs.

So tonight it got fully stripped and I threw the bits into the ultrasonic bath for a few mins to clean the dust/oil/grease that has been allowed to get into it over the years. I have just had a "Fun" 10 mins trying to reassemble the ping fook its (anvils with springs that need to sit in ring, 4 of them and there are three rings to fit over it.

Peeved because they couldn't clean the dust out and assumed it was an anvil. Made worse by the fact these people work on aircraft for a living.
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3897 on: December 14, 2023, 09:49:01 pm »
the ping fook its
:-DD

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3898 on: December 15, 2023, 01:52:27 pm »
the ping fook its
:-DD

I think they often use a basic form of the Improbability Drive. You hear a ping and then you swear, after 1 hour or more of searching you find it has landed in your left trouser pocket. We have lots of fun in the lab as we have a short pile carpet which is a charcoal grey with white and black flecks in it so you spend ages searching for that screw or spring.
--

Offline Vincent

• Regular Contributor
  • May or may not be a Tektronix fanboy
    • The Vince Electric Laboratory
« Reply #3899 on: December 20, 2023, 02:08:24 am »
People who can't, and especially don't want to, figure out how a freaking reverse vending machine works.

Y'know, the kind that just throws the can in the opening repeatedly despite the display showing "Do not throw container". Machine spits out the can, rinse and repeat. Eventually one of the cans lands at a dead angle against the door, then machine blocks. For the fourth time.  |O

You would expect professional soda can pickers to operate these machines like freaking pros, but nope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf