Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 602211 times)

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #3850 on: November 15, 2023, 09:51:00 am »
plenty of things you don't wont to buy in stock - not so for the stuff you do want to  :palm:

is everyone after the curvy ones?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/24028920826
In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught - Hunter S Thompson

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3851 on: November 16, 2023, 04:29:49 pm »
Is it just me or do other people also suddenly have a teal tint on Google maps?

There is no way to revent back to the original, is there?
goto considered awesome!

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3852 on: November 16, 2023, 04:51:48 pm »
or do other people also suddenly have a teal tint on Google maps?
Nope.
whilst im here google maps road colours,why cant we customise then so those us who grew up with motorways being blue ,A roads red and so on  see at a glance what type of road its trying to send us down.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3853 on: November 25, 2023, 08:06:20 pm »
whilst im here google maps road colours,why cant we customise then so those us who grew up with motorways being blue ,A roads red and so on  see at a glance what type of road its trying to send us down.
Because offering customization options scares off most of the target audience, or the software creators think so. That's the today's general trend.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3854 on: November 25, 2023, 10:04:57 pm »
And that's one reason I use an actual satnav rather than a phone - it works exactly the same way now as it did 5 years ago. With Maps you don't know how big a change is going to happen overnight and you're catching up as you're trying to use the thing, and then hate whatever new thing it is and spend months wishing you could revert.

Come to think of it, same with Windows now.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3855 on: November 25, 2023, 10:15:40 pm »
The "software industry" is a complete nightmare these days anyway.

Google apps are worse and worse in terms of usability IMO.
Some claim that it's to make them "easier to use". In the sense of lowering the access barrier, or something. Go figure. It's a bit like what shapirus said about customization. The more we progress, and the more we are supposed to be completely dumb, I thought we were all supposed to become smarter due to this extensive exposure to technology? What's the deal? :-DD

The key buzzword now is "lowering friction" - you need to do whatever to "lower friction" to the use of your products, whatever that means.

But less customization means less work for the developers in general, so maybe, just maybe, that's the only reason there is less and less of it.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3856 on: November 26, 2023, 08:03:00 am »
Welcome to the "update culture".

To my opinion software developers are now being assessed on the number of updates they output and not on the quality of the work. You can update your phone and the next day the same apps can have a new update waiting. It is ridiculous  |O

The more we progress, and the more we are supposed to be completely dumb, I thought we were all supposed to become smarter due to this extensive exposure to technology? What's the deal? :-DD

With AI it might only get worse. A lot of people will become so reliant on what it tells them that they will completely forget to think for themselves.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3857 on: November 26, 2023, 12:59:59 pm »
To my opinion software developers are now being assessed on the number of updates they output and not on the quality of the work. You can update your phone and the next day the same apps can have a new update waiting. It is ridiculous  |O
I think that depends on the type of software. For some types of software an endless stream of new, only slightly different, versions maintains customer engagement. For others it drives customers away. A third path has developed around terms like LTS. You keep pushing out incremental changes, then define a few releases that will get long term support (LTS), receiving only essential bug and security fixes. 

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3858 on: November 26, 2023, 03:21:43 pm »
While 90s and early 00s were a shitty time in terms of economy, I sometimes miss the freedom of not being connected 24/7.
easy solution ,introduce phone to bin.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3859 on: November 26, 2023, 03:54:23 pm »
Apparently, in this fucking information age not answering right away means I probably had a car accident, stroke, seizure, heart attack or whatever.
One summer day I went for a relaxing 3-hour bike ride and simply forgot my phone - I realized this only when I was deep in a forest and wanted to check time. No biggie, nothing ever happens anyway on a sunday afternoon, right? Right?
When I came back home, there's a dozen of unanswered calls, bunch of text messages and you're already driving to see why I don't respond.
Well, you seem to have your contacts trained well that you are ususally answering very very quickly.
Might be time to re-train them :P

The following users thanked this post: KE5FX

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3860 on: December 01, 2023, 01:56:25 am »
People who:

* Leave chunks of jam in the butter
* Leave chunks of butter in the jam
* Leave crumbs in either

I just went to get some “Marmite”, and found a huge greasy slick of butter sitting on the top… niiiiiiice. Have asked them MANY TIMES OVER DECADES not to. This is slothenly, selfish and just lazy. 

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3861 on: December 01, 2023, 02:10:01 am »

The more we progress, and the more we are supposed to be completely dumb, I thought we were all supposed to become smarter due to this extensive exposure to technology? What's the deal? :-DD

With AI it might only get worse. A lot of people will become so reliant on what it tells them that they will completely forget to think for themselves.

That's likely, yes. But what's the deal with all these people who, to the question of those who are afraid of AI taking up most jobs, answer that it's like all earlier new technologies, it will make the lower-end, "automatable" jobs obsolete, and in turn create even more new jobs. Except that this premise implies that people are actually going to switch en masse from less "intellectual" jobs to more intellectual ones (as we have experienced in the past). But this premise fails to consider that people are going, in majority, to be too dumb for that, and that what we now consider like "unusable" output from ChatGPT stuff may very well, not particularly improve in quality, but be considered like of higher and higher quality due to the continuous lowering of our standards.

Just a thought. :popcorn:

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3862 on: December 01, 2023, 02:49:19 am »
People who:

* Leave crumbs in either

I just went to get some “Marmite”, and found a huge greasy slick of butter sitting on the top… niiiiiiice. Have asked them MANY TIMES OVER DECADES not to. This is slothenly, selfish and just lazy.
Carry on like that that, and your relationships will be toast.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3863 on: December 01, 2023, 02:55:54 am »
Ahah, Marmite!
The infamous thing that only a Brit can enjoy. Well, apparently not only. :-//

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3864 on: December 01, 2023, 03:20:53 am »
Ahah, Marmite!
This one also has truffle taste included: yummy.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3865 on: December 01, 2023, 04:26:03 am »
Ahah, Marmite!
His country flag is fake. He just gave himself out with that marmite thing.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3866 on: December 01, 2023, 05:14:13 am »

That's likely, yes. But what's the deal with all these people who, to the question of those who are afraid of AI taking up most jobs, answer that it's like all earlier new technologies, it will make the lower-end, "automatable" jobs obsolete, and in turn create even more new jobs. Except that this premise implies that people are actually going to switch en masse from less "intellectual" jobs to more intellectual ones (as we have experienced in the past). But this premise fails to consider that people are going, in majority, to be too dumb for that, and that what we now consider like "unusable" output from ChatGPT stuff may very well, not particularly improve in quality, but be considered like of higher and higher quality due to the continuous lowering of our standards.

Just a thought. :popcorn:
What I have experienced in the past was that many of the new jobs were less "intellectual" than the jobs that the "suits" in their perceived view of the then current state of technology, decided had become obsolete.
The "suits" themselves were hardly intellectual giants.

The existing workload didn't go away because the existence of some technology somewhere, as those wondrous new devices were not "born full grown from the sea foam, like unto Aphrodite, then delivered by magic carpets to where they were required", but took years to implement.

Most of those keeping the old stuff going were made redundant, after devising ingenious modifications to make 30-plus year-old equipment work something like the wonders the "suits" had promised their Masters.

Those few remaining were "run off their feet" trying to maintain services which were still mainstream, using equipment which was never designed for unattended service.

Further afield, other "suits" were even consigning mainstream trade qualifications to the rubbish bin, including Carpenters, Electricians, & Plumbers.
The new "more intellectual" favourites were IT & BMAs.

Now, the few remaining "Tradies" are "small business people" & "charge like wounded bulls" for their services.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3867 on: December 01, 2023, 08:30:31 am »
'Update Culture', annoying, yes.  Even that first sentence I typed has an 'updated' text entry idiosyncracy:   Typing 'update culture' takes AT LEAST two additional passes, as first thing I get is " update Culture" the system put annoying capitalization (on 'culture'), plus it always makes an edit to your typing, by turning a word into 'plural' mode...as in " 'update culture's " that has to be edited back to how you want it.

Annoying update(s) on the TV (Comcast cable) including wild off the wall results when simply entering a channel number:  Now a channel entry like '233' can become '2333' if you hesitate, barely lingering on remote button.
The pause, resume play button was revised so that the TV will resume play by going back a short moment; seems trivial but can no longer manipulate program PLAY when observing some screen action.  Formerly, you could do a crude step- stop- step- stop to analyze some fast sports or whatever.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3868 on: December 01, 2023, 11:37:24 am »
'Update Culture', annoying, yes.  Even that first sentence I typed has an 'updated' text entry idiosyncracy:   Typing 'update culture' takes AT LEAST two additional passes, as first thing I get is " update Culture" the system put annoying capitalization (on 'culture'), plus it always makes an edit to your typing, by turning a word into 'plural' mode...as in " 'update culture's " that has to be edited back to how you want it.

Annoying update(s) on the TV (Comcast cable) including wild off the wall results when simply entering a channel number:  Now a channel entry like '233' can become '2333' if you hesitate, barely lingering on remote button.
The pause, resume play button was revised so that the TV will resume play by going back a short moment; seems trivial but can no longer manipulate program PLAY when observing some screen action.  Formerly, you could do a crude step- stop- step- stop to analyze some fast sports or whatever.

Hey. it's an excuse for another update!  -  see how this works?   :-DD

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3869 on: December 01, 2023, 04:09:00 pm »
why aint sot 23 package luminous orange that fluoresces under uv,be about the only way to have half a chance of finding the buggers that ping out the tweezers.The floor around my bench must be worth a  fortune in pinged parts.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3870 on: December 01, 2023, 05:22:29 pm »
Apple developers who respect your privacy - except what you are doing with their apps and where you are using their apps :-//

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3871 on: December 01, 2023, 07:12:03 pm »
Ahah, Marmite!

I am British-Russian working in Moscow, I ssh tunnel back to home, see for yourself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bgRTLzhcun3OmJzXz7nXBTABWUSPhP1M/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 07:16:20 pm by lezginka_kabardinka »

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3872 on: December 01, 2023, 10:31:43 pm »
People who:

* Leave crumbs in either
And people who put the teaspoon in coffee first then sugar second so bits of coffee end up in the sugar. No big deal for coffee drinkers but terrible for following tea drinkers.

The following users thanked this post: lezginka_kabardinka

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3873 on: December 01, 2023, 10:33:52 pm »
Ahah, Marmite!

I am British-Russian working in Moscow,

Makes sense then. ;D

The following users thanked this post: lezginka_kabardinka

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3874 on: December 01, 2023, 10:37:24 pm »
And people who put the teaspoon in coffee first then sugar second
Does one not own a set of sugar tongs?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf