Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 571094 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #3575 on: April 11, 2023, 01:16:54 am »
I'm sure it happens, but I have yet to ever see somebody in a corporate environment using a touchscreen as their primary input device.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #3576 on: April 12, 2023, 06:44:43 pm »
I don't find icons meaningless, good ones should imply what they are visually, and then it doesn't take long to learn what they are. Tooltips that display when you hover over an icon and say what it is are important too.

The academic concept of "affordance".  Like a (good) door handle affords pushing, or pulling.  A good knob affords turning.

A "bad door" looks like it should be pulled ...  has, say, a grab handle but is actually pushed to open and if pulled does nothing.  This is not uncommon, but is a good example of "poor affordance".  People trying to turn protruding buttons in another.   Knobs that can be pushed or pulled are obviously a different ball game.

Have a watch of the film “Objectified” by Gary Hustwit.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #3577 on: April 14, 2023, 10:00:43 pm »
Being asked to review every single thing I buy or use.

Had a Pet scan a couple of weeks ago after oesophagus cancer was found, a couple of days later, I was asked to fill in a survey

So I click on the survey

The first question is the one that got me:

“We would like you to think about your recent experience of our service.
How likely are you to recommend our services to friends and family if they needed similar care or treatment?”

Followed by

"Can you tell us why you gave that response?"

I’ve been diagnosed with cancer and the NHS arranged my scan.  No 0ne would have a Pet scan except to check whether they still had cancer, the cancer had spread, or whether their cancers gone.

What a stupid quest to ask me

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3578 on: April 14, 2023, 11:06:47 pm »
It is stupid, but it's probably all automated and makes sense for many of the recipients.

That's an unenviable diagnosis, I hope they're able to eradicate it.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3579 on: April 14, 2023, 11:32:34 pm »
I know this sounds really “grumpy old man”, but I’m just fed up of daft mannerisms and habits which demonstrate a deficit of presence of mind... This is annoying:

Why do people offer you something, you say “no thanks”, and then they ask you “are you sure?” (some of my family will ask you SIX TIMES!) Yes I’m sure, I’m always sure of my decisions. If I change my mind I’ll ask you 🤦‍♂️🤣

My South African friend once highlighted the foolishness of this habit, when her husband offered me a lift home - I replied “are you sure?”, and the wife said VERY directly (which I admire) “Matthew of course he’s sure - if he wasn’t sure he wouldn’t have offered would he!”

Yep. Don’t waste my time with mental and verbal ping pong. I know it’s meant as kindness and I value that, but when it becomes habitual it just gets a bit much.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3580 on: April 14, 2023, 11:40:20 pm »

Yeah, I go see my doctor twice a year and the next day or so I'll get an email wanting me to take a "survey". Similar thing happens as soon as I log in to pay my rent,. They want me to rate them and tell them if I'd recommend them. No, I absolutely would not, but am I gonna say that in a way that is directly traceable to me? No way.

Every time I buy something from there, Newegg wants me to review it. They're not persistent about it though. Amazon oddly enough almost never pesters me.

The following users thanked this post: eti

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3581 on: April 15, 2023, 12:38:46 am »

Yeah, I go see my doctor twice a year and the next day or so I'll get an email wanting me to take a "survey". Similar thing happens as soon as I log in to pay my rent,. They want me to rate them and tell them if I'd recommend them. No, I absolutely would not, but am I gonna say that in a way that is directly traceable to me? No way.

Every time I buy something from there, Newegg wants me to review it. They're not persistent about it though. Amazon oddly enough almost never pesters me.

Here's how I work: if you want me to "review" something, using MY TIME, you pay me. Simple.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3582 on: April 15, 2023, 12:49:58 am »
Even worse than being asked for a review ,its being asked several times, because you didnt respond to there first-second-third request,that's  a guaranteed  0 out of whatever and a review along the lines of never use them again,constantly hassling you ,do not recommend,regardless of the service ive received

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #3583 on: April 15, 2023, 01:09:17 am »

Had a Pet scan a couple of weeks ago after oesophagus cancer was found, a couple of days later, I was asked to fill in a survey

So I click on the survey

The first question is the one that got me:

“We would like you to think about your recent experience of our service.
How likely are you to recommend our services to friends and family if they needed similar care or treatment?”

Followed by

"Can you tell us why you gave that response?"

I’ve been diagnosed with cancer and the NHS arranged my scan.  No 0ne would have a Pet scan except to check whether they still had cancer, the cancer had spread, or whether their cancers gone.

What a stupid quest to ask me

Might be a corporate precaution so that when that do some cost cutting, they don't get hit with unfair dismissal claims.
iratus parum formica

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3584 on: April 15, 2023, 08:37:51 am »

Why not? I have no problem being brutally honest to someone's face if necessary, I certainly don't care if that survey is tracked back to me, the only time I care about that is at work.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3585 on: April 15, 2023, 09:45:54 am »
I hear this A LOT in YouTube videos; talk about verbal fluff!!:

I can never understand why some people (usually Americans) waste words and time by saying:

“I’m going to go ahead and”
Vs just
“I’m going to”

That’s three extra words for absolutely no reason at all. 🤨

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3586 on: April 15, 2023, 11:12:37 am »

Lots of this can be directed at ISO 9001. There is a lot of stress on the need for customer feedback so you can constantly improve systems.

But I do chuckle when you see a well-worded survey that makes it almost impossible to say a bad thing about the experience. This even goes for general surveys that feed those websites/news stories that make you cringe "A survey has found that 9 out of 10 people would like to work fewer hours and get paid more".
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3587 on: April 15, 2023, 11:19:34 am »
I hear this A LOT in YouTube videos; talk about verbal fluff!!:

I can never understand why some people (usually Americans) waste words and time by saying:

Vs just
“I’m going to”

That’s three extra words for absolutely no reason at all. 🤨

Lol, there are some fun drinking games to be had watching YT videos. I guess it's because some like to use their words and feel a heavy-worded script makes for good YT. For some its a localism for their area or even country, I live in an area where lines like "Gurt big hole" are common. My pet peeve is people who explain a task and say "it helps if you have this tool but you don't need it" but you really need that tool otherwise its a total PITA to do.
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3588 on: April 15, 2023, 12:15:04 pm »
Lots of this can be directed at ISO 9001. There is a lot of stress on the need for customer feedback so you can constantly improve systems.
Huh? ISO9001 has nothing to do with improvement. You have the wrong spec in mind. ISO9001 is about maintaining the level of quality you currently have, be that good or bad.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3589 on: April 15, 2023, 01:07:20 pm »
Huh? ISO9001 has nothing to do with improvement. You have the wrong spec in mind. ISO9001 is about maintaining the level of quality you currently have, be that good or bad.

10.3 Continual Improvements
https://www.iso-9001-checklist.co.uk/10.3-continual-improvement-gbp.htm
--

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3590 on: April 15, 2023, 04:08:39 pm »

10.3 Continual Improvements
https://www.iso-9001-checklist.co.uk/10.3-continual-improvement-gbp.htm
So, where in ISO9001 does it say you need to continually improve? There is a lot of misleading info about ISO9001. Most training courses state very emphatically that ISO9001 has nothing to do with making high quality products, to try to fight against the misinformation. ISO9001 is purely about making consistent quality. "Document what you do, then do what you document" is a typical way of summarising it. If the quality of your products or services improves, without applying other processes, and updating your ISO9001 documentation, you aren't properly implementing ISO9001. Improvement processes are covered in other 9000 series specs.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3591 on: April 15, 2023, 06:38:22 pm »
ISO9001:2015
9.1.2 Customer satisfaction
The organization shall monitor customers’ perceptions of the degree to which their needs and expectations have been fulfilled. The organization shall determine the methods for obtaining, monitoring
and reviewing this information.

NOTE Examples of monitoring customer perceptions can include customer surveys, customer feedback on delivered products and services, meetings with customers, market-share analysis, compliments, warranty claims and dealer reports.

So there it is direct from the standard.

Also 10.3 section is literally called "Continual Improvement".

Doing the same thing just becuase it's not broke is not longer the attitude to have.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 08:35:19 pm by mendip_discovery »
--

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3592 on: April 15, 2023, 07:31:06 pm »
Ridiculous stuff put into spec sheets just because "that's the way it's always done".
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3593 on: April 15, 2023, 09:08:18 pm »

Vs just
“I’m going to”

That’s three extra words for absolutely no reason at all.
OMG, that drives me crazy. Just listen to news reports on TV or radio. When asked a question, virtually all of the "reporters" start their sentences with "So..." or "Yeah..." or "So, yeah..." or "Yeah, so..." or some other utterly unnecessary prefix words. These people consider themselves "journalists" yet they can't even communicate verbally in their native language.

If you had a drinking game that was based on TV/radio voices starting sentences with "So" or "Yeah" you'd be drunk in minutes.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3594 on: April 15, 2023, 09:29:57 pm »
OMG, that drives me crazy. Just listen to news reports on TV or radio. When asked a question, virtually all of the "reporters" start their sentences with "So..." or "Yeah..." or "So, yeah..." or "Yeah, so..." or some other utterly unnecessary prefix words. These people consider themselves "journalists" yet they can't even communicate verbally in their native language.
This is not to mention that their diction creates an impression that they are holding a dick in their mouth which makes them unable to pronounce a single word clearly and distinctively. When and why did it happen that the narrators with perfect diction whom we can hear in the 40s-60s documentaries and educational films became extinct?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3595 on: April 15, 2023, 09:46:43 pm »
Well, watch Idiocracy.
Then watch TV and look around you. :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3596 on: April 15, 2023, 09:49:10 pm »
I suspect it correlates with when "journalists" stopped thinking of their job as "reporting the facts" and switched to "promoting an agenda". True on both ends of the political spectrum. They apparently all believe they are smarter and better informed than we are, and are thus justified in skipping the "news reporting" step in favor of getting right to "we'll do your thinking for you".

On the rare occasion that I watch/listen/read packaged news anymore, it's both entertaining and frustrating to realize they're talking AT their audience almost without even a pretense of objectivity.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3597 on: April 15, 2023, 10:00:09 pm »
ISO9001:2015
9.1.2 Customer satisfaction
The organization shall monitor customers’ perceptions of the degree to which their needs and expectations have been fulfilled. The organization shall determine the methods for obtaining, monitoring
and reviewing this information.

NOTE Examples of monitoring customer perceptions can include customer surveys, customer feedback on delivered products and services, meetings with customers, market-share analysis, compliments, warranty claims and dealer reports.

So there it is direct from the standard.

Also 10.3 section is literally called "Continual Improvement".

Doing the same thing just becuase it's not broke is not longer the attitude to have.
Interesting. Its some years since I had to do anything with the ISO9000 series. That must have added that in one of the updates. They used to keep 9001 purely about quality maintenance, which was the right thing in many ways - separating consistency and improvement are generally a good thing, as they are separate goals, typically with different people responsible for them - but caused a LOT of confusion for people who had been sold the idea of 9001 being about offering high quality products and services.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3598 on: April 15, 2023, 10:01:44 pm »
Continual Improvement has always been at the core of ISO9001 for as long as I can remember at least.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3599 on: April 15, 2023, 10:57:44 pm »
Yes, in some sense iso 9000 has always been a bit of a joke.  In principal, if you have a written process that says - "Check with Bob and do what he says" you are compliant.  It takes a little more than that, you have to have metrics that show you are following your proceeds.  But that can be covered by doing the checks with Bob in writing, recording his answers, and then some form of paper showing that you did what Bob said.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf