Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 571120 times)

Online RJSV

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #3525 on: April 07, 2023, 02:44:03 am »
Reminds me:
   In Europe, people seem to work, study fairly seriously, but, alas here in the U.S.A. folks are more like talking in broken English:
   "...Do he code ? ".      Followed by laughter, as they think technology is some nerdy joke pursuit.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3526 on: April 07, 2023, 08:25:37 pm »
How annoying my own "pun alarm" is when talking about electrical stuff.

Shall we say, there is too much potential when currently discussing anything electrical.  You just can't avoid using the words "potentially" or "currently" when referring to circuits in development.

My "pun alarm" goes off all the time,  "cringe".

It's as bad as friends who point at you and giggle with you use "do, do" in a sentence.

It's a "Potential death trap!"
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3527 on: April 07, 2023, 08:38:01 pm »
How annoying my own "pun alarm" is when talking about electrical stuff.

Is it as bad as the smut/innuendo alert when someone says something and you must resist the urge to say something inappropriate?

It's as bad as friends who point at you and giggle with you use "do, do" in a sentence.

Push Pineapple

Thanks, I now have that damned song in my head, oh well. Might as well ask Alexa to play it loud so the neighbours get to suffer as well.

shake the tree

Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3528 on: April 07, 2023, 08:38:51 pm »
I don't know if I've mentioned this yet, but popup notifications that can't be moved or put into the background. My work laptop is a Macbook and I generally like the OS, but reminder popups are always up in the corner and often obscure the browser tab I want or some other application. This is all made much worse by the fact that a few releases ago they removed the ability to snooze a reminder for a customized amount of time  :palm: That annoys me to no end, I very often want to snooze something for 5-10 minutes while I finish something else up, I don't want to dismiss it and then forget about it, and the infuriating thing is it USED TO WORK GREAT. They actually put developer effort into removing perfectly working functionality and making it less useful.  |O

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3529 on: April 07, 2023, 08:49:21 pm »
Yes!  Teams in work started doing this.  Lovely notification with a screenshot thumbnail of the window and everything, but no 'bleeping' X button.  Almost always sits just over the Teams meeting floating window or the mute controls.

"GO THE F..... AWAY!"  (Actually silent)
"Sorry guys I'll send you the link when the pop up gets out of my way...", while everyone else watches said pop up on the screen share and laughs.

Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3530 on: April 07, 2023, 09:34:38 pm »
Typing :wq  into windows editors.

People who automatically type :wq to exit.

People who when faced with a permission denied then try :wq!

It's the same as people who do:

git add -a

Against the wall and shot I'd say.

The correct response to "I have no idea why I'm here or what i did" in Vim is...

ESC ESC ESC ESC :qa!<RET>

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #3531 on: April 07, 2023, 11:10:06 pm »
Template "phrases" (or YouTube "slang") copied, sheep-esque...

"Can we talk about <thing>?" - Er, YOU ARE talking about it - you typed a comment about it.

"<Thing/Person> is so underrated" - I just saw this as a comment under a video from WORLDWIDE pop star from the 80s - he (Nik Kershaw) is the furthest thing from "underrated" EVER.

I think people feel COMPELLED to HAVE to say something, any old horse shit, just to "be seen to have a view".

Online RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3532 on: April 07, 2023, 11:31:05 pm »
Instructional videos where narrator says:
   "Voltage times Current, What reason we say Voltage times Current....Because, we say it as...."

Another example:
   "Gravity is a force...Why is it we say Gravity is this force?"

But also repetitively, helps to seal the deal (that topic speaker is not skilled in language or communication skills.  Plus, this person, professor, whatever, will STILL be vocalizing butchered language, virtually identically, like, 25 years from now...!

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3533 on: April 07, 2023, 11:38:45 pm »
But gravity is not a force. :popcorn:

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3534 on: April 08, 2023, 03:32:51 am »
I was told in the UK by someone that it was turning into a police state.

Now with the voting ID for elections and the way the "Emergency phone alert" is being applied to hijack the controls and interfere with phones it seems to me like it is turning out to be true.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3535 on: April 08, 2023, 09:41:38 am »
These pieces of crap (attached).

Even if this were the case, I’d not want another one. Amazon “Fire TV” devices are the most sluggish, laggy, unstable, unreliable pieces of future landfill ever conceived. GARBAGE!

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3536 on: April 08, 2023, 11:43:25 am »
Sorry, what's your peeve with that? Are you being forced to take one or something? Can't you just... well.. not have it?

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3537 on: April 08, 2023, 11:51:56 pm »
Sorry, what's your peeve with that? Are you being forced to take one or something? Can't you just... well.. not have it?

What does my owning one have to do with my  opinion on them? They’re shit, regardless of my owning one or not. I own one, they’re garbage. I’ve owned four different models / they ARE all garbage. Then again it’s android, and Amazon, so there you go.

I take it you grasp how opinions work?

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3538 on: April 08, 2023, 11:56:19 pm »
I’d not want another one.
“Another one” means he already has at least one. At this point “not having it” means throwing it out. It’s a real pain in the butt when you pay good money for something that doesn’t live up to its advertised claims and specs.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3539 on: April 09, 2023, 12:20:35 am »
[...]  the infuriating thing is it USED TO WORK GREAT. They actually put developer effort into removing perfectly working functionality and making it less useful.  |O

This is the inevitable consequence of making changes for the sake of making changes.  The next team doesn't know why the previous team ended up with the design that they did, so they feel it is OK to start over every time.   I'm hoping AI will help rein this in, eventually.  "Joe.  Do you understand that many people rely on the feature you just deleted?  Put it back before the countdown reaches zero, or you will receive a significant electric shock, like last week when you tried the same thing.  Joe?"

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #3540 on: April 09, 2023, 01:14:59 am »
[...]  the infuriating thing is it USED TO WORK GREAT. They actually put developer effort into removing perfectly working functionality and making it less useful.  |O

This is the inevitable consequence of making changes for the sake of making changes.  The next team doesn't know why the previous team ended up with the design that they did, so they feel it is OK to start over every time.   I'm hoping AI will help rein this in, eventually.  "Joe.  Do you understand that many people rely on the feature you just deleted?  Put it back before the countdown reaches zero, or you will receive a significant electric shock, like last week when you tried the same thing.  Joe?"

I'm afraid I can't let you delete that, Joe.

Not very far from "are you sure you want to delete that" is it?
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3541 on: April 09, 2023, 01:15:02 am »

What does my owning one have to do with my  opinion on them? They’re shit, regardless of my owning one or not. I own one, they’re garbage. I’ve owned four different models / they ARE all garbage. Then again it’s android, and Amazon, so there you go.

I take it you grasp how opinions work?

I think we all know how your opinion works, and how you seem to have an infinite supply of derogatory ones.

It wasn't clear if you were railing against the product or the offer. Since you posted a specific offer it's natural to assume that's where your beef is, hence my asking if you were being forced to take it or could just not have (another) one.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3542 on: April 09, 2023, 01:50:46 am »
I was told in the UK by someone that it was turning into a police state.

Now with the voting ID for elections and the way the "Emergency phone alert" is being applied to hijack the controls and interfere with phones it seems to me like it is turning out to be true.

The emergency phone alert is annoying, at least if it doesn't respect silent/do-not-disturb settings (I'm looking at you Amber Alerts) or if you can't disable it, but neither of these things bring to mind the term "police state".

I've never had to show ID here to vote and frankly it has always puzzled me why or why some people go into a panic over the idea. I don't know how much fraud actually occurs but ID seems like a good idea to quell concerns that it may occur, and with a very low cost to the public. I have to show my ID to buy alcohol, open a bank account, pick up concert tickets, heck even to buy spray paint now, it's just not that big of a deal to me. There are other forms of ID you can get if you don't have a drivers license. I'm happy to take a simple step to prove that I'm me if it prevents someone else from potentially claiming that they're me, especially for something as important as voting.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3543 on: April 09, 2023, 03:19:43 am »
I don't know how much fraud actually occurs
317 cases here  in the uk going by the 2021 records,so a fairly small amount compared to the estimated £40-£120 million (depends whos figures you trust)  its going to cost over 10 years

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3544 on: April 09, 2023, 03:54:16 am »
Here's my current "pet peeve".

Using W10 on my ASUS laptop, I will be typing something to post on this, or some other forum, when suddenly the website disappears.
I can go to "history" & get the webpage back, but my carefully composed comment is gone!

initially, I thought --"OK, you silly old sod, you've hit a couple of keys accidentally which do this!"
Upon trying to make it happen, I have been unsuccessful.
As far as I can see, it is when I hit the "shift" key, but no combinations of keys in that vicinity have such an effect.

It has a few other tricks, like printing "b" or "n" instead of "space", but that really could be my sausage-like fingers.
Others not so likely---while I was typing this, the word "typing" came up as typine".
"g" & "e" are not adjacent, so whether it is a W10 problem or an ASUS one, I don't know.

P.S. "Or" came up as "on" in that last sentence.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3545 on: April 09, 2023, 04:12:13 am »
Using W10 on my ASUS laptop, I will be typing something to post on this, or some other forum, when suddenly the website disappears.
Yeah, Mozilla's default binding of backspace to "Go Back" is a pet peeve of mine. It makes no sense and is a constant source of annoyance if I'm using a machine I can't customize the keys on.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, james_s

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3546 on: April 09, 2023, 04:19:19 am »
I haven't got an answer for what's causing your problem, but I can say that I've been screwed by losing data I've typed into a webpage many times for various reasons (an errant back action, closing a tab by mistake, some mysterious crash, etc).  I have largely solved the problem by:

- if I have the foresight that I'm going to be typing a long screed, I'll do it in a text editor that autosaves (even across exits and crashes).  Then when I'm done with my masterpiece, I copy/paste.
  - for the many times where I don't bother with that workaround, I have installed the Textarea Cache browser extension.  It's not perfect - for reasons that usually aren't clear to me, it doesn't always have a copy of what I've lost.  But it works most of the time and that is much better than nothing.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3547 on: April 09, 2023, 06:18:26 pm »
Searching on Amazon for Electronics ESD Mat.  90% of the results are for silicone mats.  Some even proudly quote their anti-static properties as being 10^6 - 10^8 ohms of protection LMAO.  Fail.

I did make the mistake of buying one of these for soldering on.   After it crackled and everything stuck to it I wasn't sure.  When it was able to make my hair stand on end, I didn't it would only go one place.  The bin. 

I've never seen a BS product sold with the complete opposite effect than it's sold for.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3548 on: April 09, 2023, 06:41:22 pm »
Yeah, Mozilla's default binding of backspace to "Go Back" is a pet peeve of mine. It makes no sense and is a constant source of annoyance if I'm using a machine I can't customize the keys on.

Uhg! Seriously! I have never once wanted to navigate back by pressing a key, certainly not by pressing backspace! That's just idiotic, they could have made it Ctrl-Backspace and that would be fine. I have had to re-fill-out countless forms due to that moronic "feature".

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3549 on: April 09, 2023, 06:43:21 pm »
Searching on Amazon for Electronics ESD Mat.  90% of the results are for silicone mats.  Some even proudly quote their anti-static properties as being 10^6 - 10^8 ohms of protection LMAO.  Fail.

I did make the mistake of buying one of these for soldering on.   After it crackled and everything stuck to it I wasn't sure.  When it was able to make my hair stand on end, I didn't it would only go one place.  The bin. 

I've never seen a BS product sold with the complete opposite effect than it's sold for.

I have a small silicone pad for soldering on and it's great, I bought it several years ago from some random Chinese seller. It's perfect for times when I'm trying to solder pins or some tricky arrangement of parts where it helps to have something to press them against. It's not anti-static at all though so I'm careful about what I use it for.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf