Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 572103 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2875 on: December 16, 2022, 06:41:58 pm »
Today im lamenting the disappearance of the local independent hardware shops,you know the sort of place were the assistant glances at the bolt your holding and confidently announces its a 13/29th BTF thread,asks how many you want and what length,before casually reaching into 1 of the 100+  wooden draws behind him and grabbing exactly what your after.I'm also slightly annoyed my metal punch set has given up,i bought it in 96 and its only done a few 100 20 and 25mm holes, dont nothing last these days.

We have a local one of those, and it is THRIVING by keeping prices down and having an inventory relevant to the area it is in.  -  The locals love the place and only go to the "big box" stores in case of dire emergency!  -  so, it can be done.... 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2876 on: December 16, 2022, 06:57:04 pm »
We have a local one of those, and it is THRIVING by keeping prices down and having an inventory relevant to the area it is in.  -  The locals love the place and only go to the "big box" stores in case of dire emergency!  -  so, it can be done....

There's a local chain around here too, Mclendons hardware, the place is always packed in the summer, they have a large selection of plants and gardening items that is always popular and they have a lot of real hardware too. Best selection of fasteners of any walk-in place I'm aware of.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, RJSV

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2877 on: December 16, 2022, 07:29:40 pm »
In some, but not all of the US states the rule is for "slower moving traffic" to keep right (away from the center lines for those who don't know US driving orientation).

While I can sympathize with Mark03's complaints about speed demons, I find drivers like him equally infuriating.

Driving in the "fast" lane at the "speed limit" enforcing their speedometers calibration on a whole row of drivers.  While my speedometer and the GPS in the dash and the GPS in my phone all agree that we are going substantially below the speed limit.

Limiting overtaking speed to the speed limit and thus going a fraction of a kilometer/hour faster than the vehicle they are passing.  This often results in a miles/kilometers long backups of dense, unsafe traffic.  There is a bright spot to this.  It also creates miles/kilometers of open space in front of this long pass and if you happen to enter the road in the huge hole in traffic that is created you find very pleasant driving.  As long as you don't drive too fast it is a long lasting joy.

And coming to a full stop at the end of merge lanes.  I have encountered this three times in my life.  The rarely occurring event receives diminished attention while paying more attention to the traffic arriving from behind, both to select a merging spot and speed and to assess the much more common hazard of some speed racer slamming into that spot to cut a second or two off his driving time.  In two of the three cases some rather violent avoidance maneuvers avoided an accident.  Unfortunately a full emergency stop in the third case couldn't avoid a bumper bending collision.   

The speed limit is often not the dominant rule when driving in traffic.  As SilverSolder says it is almost always safest to be driving at nearly the average speed of traffic.  Even if that is substantially above to posted speed limit.  In some locales in the US that can result in a traffic violation for impeding the flow of traffic, or unsafe driving for driving at the speed limit.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2878 on: December 16, 2022, 10:07:48 pm »
My latest pet peeve.
When someone refers to a politician by their given name only.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2879 on: December 16, 2022, 11:15:47 pm »
My latest pet peeve.

What you mean rather than "Cu**!"?
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, SilverSolder

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2880 on: December 16, 2022, 11:47:18 pm »
My favorite name for incumbent politicians is "defeated".

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2881 on: December 16, 2022, 11:52:27 pm »
Oregon USA has an absolute, no exceptions, even for passing slow vehicles, speed limit. I got a ticket there a while back when I pulled out into a designated passing lane to overtake someone who was driving juuuuuust under the speed limit. That meant I had to exceed the limit ever so slightly to get past them safely before the passing lane ended. BAM! Pulled over for speeding.

I was going to write a letter to the court explaining things, but when I researched Oregon law so I could cite chapter and verse I found the above absolute prohibition. It even includes the specific language about not passing slower vehicles and tells drivers they must wait until slower vehicles pull over to let you pass (which never happens).

I mailed the check for the ticket, now avoid Oregon, and encourage others to avoid it too. No reason to encourage such lunacy.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2882 on: December 16, 2022, 11:56:36 pm »
My latest pet peeve.

Why? most of them have fairly distinctive given names.
Our current & most recent Oz PMs have quite widely used nicknames, like "Scomo" & "Albo", although referring to the former as "Scotty" didn't confuse people.

Historically, we had "Bob" (Menzies), "Gough" (Whitlam), "Mal" (Fraser), "Tony" (Abbott), & everybody knew who you were talking about.

For some reason, it didn't really take with Hawke ('Hawkie"), Keating ("Paul?"--nah!), Turnbull (the shadow of the real "Mal" was still too recent), Or Howard (maybe "Johnny" to some)

On the world stage, every Australian knows who "Don", "Joe", "Boris" & "Vlad" are.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #2883 on: December 17, 2022, 03:55:45 am »
I find “some people” (or person) here are so gushingly overflowing with their own self-perceived “cleverness” and “insight” - I’ll add that to my pet peeve list here.

They know who they are.
Are you referring to me?  I'll tell you a secret: I'm very sensitive and unsure about what helpful people think of me, especially of my "cleverness" and "insight" (except for the very narrow domains I have actual, tested, battle-hardened insight).  :'(

That 'eti ite' in the joke thread wasn't a slight, or sarcastic; more about finding funniness in small things and odd places, and self-reflection, instead of relying on formulaic definitions of a joke or humor.

Sure, you tend to rant a bit, but that doesn't bother me.  I highly appreciate your honesty.

My own pet peeve is these passive-agressive references, because I too often spend inordinate amounts of time wondering if they are directed at me (if made by a person I happen to care/appreciate/consider helpful to others).  As a Finn, I'd much, MUCH prefer people just come out and say it out straight.

Bless you. No I don’t mean you. It’s someone and they will know who they are (like one of those whack a mole moles who can never keep their head down) - no doubt they’ll pick up on it and make a multi-multi-multi quoted response, picking apart everything I’ve said lol

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #2884 on: December 18, 2022, 03:40:39 am »
Comments like this one on YouTube, under a current Putin news story (Screenshot attached)

People seemingly Thinking that touchscreens are “magic”, are the same kind of people who think that Apple Mac production lines must use Apple Macs to control the factory machines. Wow.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2885 on: December 18, 2022, 07:35:24 am »
People who are constantly whining and never come up with proper solutions for problems at hand.

You see them everywhere. Just look at the Dutch government, you can find more then a couple there.

Online mfro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2886 on: December 18, 2022, 09:01:49 am »
People who are constantly whining and never come up with proper solutions for problems at hand.

You see them everywhere. Just look at the Dutch government, you can find more then a couple there.

I understand you are whining but don't have a proper solution?  :-DD
Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Gregg

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2887 on: December 18, 2022, 09:19:50 am »
I understand you are whining but don't have a proper solution?  :-DD

Oh I have plenty, but these will be seen as to extreme.  >:D

The question for you is if you understood what I'm whining about.  8)

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2888 on: December 20, 2022, 09:21:09 pm »
Tactile/microswitches in mice which "tick" but dont "click".  You have to press a little harder to get the click. 
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #2889 on: December 22, 2022, 08:37:55 am »
People seemingly Thinking that touchscreens are magic.
well wat do you know, I walked into a pub poke lounge in the 1990s
found a touchscreen on a poke machine, with just one finger rubbed it like a magic lamp. suddenly ALL the machines in the room shut-down
with a system error,  :scared: I quickly made an exit.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2890 on: December 23, 2022, 03:57:11 am »
Not only with electronics but electricity, mechanics, CNC, Tools, etc...

Of course YouTube doesn't care a little about it even if you report it.

Then YouTube goes and says that they have X years of videos uploaded per day, but when you distill it only 5% is really meaningful learning info, the rest is memes, promotion/ads or outright junk.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 11:12:10 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2891 on: December 23, 2022, 04:13:38 am »

Ever since January, I've found this year and everything to do with it simply fucking annoying.

Whose with me?
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: RJSV, HobGoblyn

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2892 on: December 23, 2022, 09:34:17 am »
Yea. 
2020 - People said "well 2021 has to be better, couldn't get worse than 2020 eh?"
2021 - People said "well 2022 has to be better, couldn't get worse than 2020/21 eh?"

This year.  I'm going to slap the first person who starts that.  202* has been shit, I highly expect 2023 to continue to the trend.  Tempting fate by celebrating that's "It couldn't possibly get worse" needs a stopping!

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2893 on: December 23, 2022, 12:41:37 pm »
Yea. 
2020 - People said "well 2021 has to be better, couldn't get worse than 2020 eh?"
2021 - People said "well 2022 has to be better, couldn't get worse than 2020/21 eh?"

This year.  I'm going to slap the first person who starts that.  202* has been shit, I highly expect 2023 to continue to the trend.  Tempting fate by celebrating that's "It couldn't possibly get worse" needs a stopping!
UK located, you'll remember Tony Blair and "things can only get better" :-\

Maybe 2023 will see Mad Vlad's military generals put him up against the wall, before he puts his military generals up against the wall? Just saying :-//

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2894 on: December 23, 2022, 01:15:14 pm »
Yea. 

UK located, you'll remember Tony Blair and "things can only get better" :-\

Maybe 2023 will see Mad Vlad's military generals put him up against the wall, before he puts his military generals up against the wall? Just saying :-//

Didn't Biden not just give Ukraine a patriot missile system for christmas.  That's going to impress Mad Vlad endlessly.  He'll be resonating much "peace" feelings and good will towards us all I'm sure.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2895 on: December 30, 2022, 04:17:45 am »
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2896 on: December 30, 2022, 12:15:38 pm »
New peeve: The self-redundant phrase "software code". As in, "She wrote the software code to add the feature".

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2897 on: December 30, 2022, 01:22:30 pm »
Software is more than code.

Offline Leeima

• Contributor
« Reply #2898 on: December 30, 2022, 07:04:39 pm »
Software is more than code.

it's just typing...  we could ask the receptionist to do it :-DD

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2899 on: December 31, 2022, 07:13:23 pm »
too many violent video games not enough peaceful or fun or happy ones.

Superflight
Poly Bridge
Jigsaw Puzzle Dreams
Train Valley (original is great, V2 not so much)
Mini Metro
Desert Golfing / Golf on Mars
Freeways
Race the Sun
Drawkanoid

Those are just some free or low cost ones that are, IMO, worth playing. Plenty more I haven't tried.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf