Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 572243 times)

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2850 on: December 15, 2022, 03:54:54 am »
When people refer to electricity as hydro.

Does this happen in other places or is it specific to BC, Canada?

My wife does it all the time.  Has been doing it for decades.  I have stopped trying to discourage it.  No point.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2851 on: December 15, 2022, 05:07:59 am »

Does this happen in other places or is it specific to BC, Canada?

My wife does it all the time.  Has been doing it for decades.  I have stopped trying to discourage it.  No point.

Maybe she's just doing it to get at ya now.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2852 on: December 15, 2022, 06:03:04 am »
I noticed that years ago, when travelling through Italy & France.

Italian words are relatively easy for an English speaker to analyse "by inspection" in their written form, & even make a reasonable effort at pronunciation.
French words look quite similar to Italian ones, but large numbers of letters are "dropped", so the end result sounds very different.

I also found that Italians were much less likely to snort "humph!" & ignore you if you have trouble in pronunciation. ;D

Yes there are a lot of similar words in French and English but differently pronounced, and it seems to make it hard for either side to speak the others language.

Hearing either French speak English or English speak French makes your toes curl  :-DD (Not that my French is any better)

About the French ignoring you when you don't speak their language to perfection might depend on your location in France and your nationality. The Dordogne seems to be a bit anti English because they bought a lot of the houses away from the locals. Here in the Correze it is not so bad, and most are willing to try and communicate with you, especially when you show willingness to speak French.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2853 on: December 15, 2022, 07:19:23 am »
I find “some people” (or person) here are so gushingly overflowing with their own self-perceived “cleverness” and “insight” - I’ll add that to my pet peeve list here.

They know who they are.

I thought envy was one of the deadly sins.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #2854 on: December 15, 2022, 10:16:23 am »
I find “some people” (or person) here are so gushingly overflowing with their own self-perceived “cleverness” and “insight” - I’ll add that to my pet peeve list here.

They know who they are.
Are you referring to me?  I'll tell you a secret: I'm very sensitive and unsure about what helpful people think of me, especially of my "cleverness" and "insight" (except for the very narrow domains I have actual, tested, battle-hardened insight).  :'(

That 'eti ite' in the joke thread wasn't a slight, or sarcastic; more about finding funniness in small things and odd places, and self-reflection, instead of relying on formulaic definitions of a joke or humor.

Sure, you tend to rant a bit, but that doesn't bother me.  I highly appreciate your honesty.

My own pet peeve is these passive-agressive references, because I too often spend inordinate amounts of time wondering if they are directed at me (if made by a person I happen to care/appreciate/consider helpful to others).  As a Finn, I'd much, MUCH prefer people just come out and say it out straight.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:18:04 am by Nominal Animal »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2855 on: December 15, 2022, 12:11:32 pm »
In light of the recent scuffle in an other thread I think he is referring to tooki, and maybe me for some earlier run ins.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2856 on: December 15, 2022, 06:20:33 pm »
We all should just try and get along esp this time of year.
iratus parum formica

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2857 on: December 15, 2022, 06:22:53 pm »
Save the hate for the upcoming family gatherings like normal people.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron, SilverSolder, tooki, pcprogrammer

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2858 on: December 15, 2022, 06:43:23 pm »

Does this happen in other places or is it specific to BC, Canada?  There are lots of hydro dams and the main electrical utility company is called BC Hydro.

I've only heard it in BC, and I assumed it's because the power company serving the region is called "BC Hydro" so it's pretty natural to refer to "the hydro bill" and such.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #2859 on: December 15, 2022, 06:43:52 pm »
Do I get to be the racist drunk uncle this year?

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, SilverSolder, pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2860 on: December 15, 2022, 07:00:30 pm »

Sure and give em hell.  >:D

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2861 on: December 15, 2022, 07:14:45 pm »
About the French ignoring you when you don't speak their language to perfection might depend on your location in France and your nationality. The Dordogne seems to be a bit anti English because they bought a lot of the houses away from the locals. Here in the Correze it is not so bad, and most are willing to try and communicate with you, especially when you show willingness to speak French.
Paris is the only place I’ve ever been in France where people have been dismissive of novice French (and even so, it was only a few; most people were gracious). Everywhere else I’ve been in France, people have been delighted that you honor them by making the effort to speak their language, even if it’s imperfect.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2862 on: December 15, 2022, 07:20:57 pm »
It really is amazing, and interesting too. I work with people from all over the world and quite often they will speak somewhat broken English with a thick accent while their kids speak it fluently with no accent at all, in addition to speaking the parents native language fluently too.
Absolutely! That’s how it is with me and Spanish (my dad’s native language). My dad has an accent, but my sister and I do not, and we did speak Spanish at home, too, though my vocabulary is fairly limited since I’ve never lived in a Spanish speaking country.

I totally concur with your observation, I’ve seen that with lots of families with lots of languages.

I also am frequently entertained by the grammatically incorrect but often both understandable and humorous things many non-native English speakers say. A former (female) boss of mine was talking to me and a coworker once and wanted us to write up a proposal for something, but what she said was "I would like you guys to propose to me" which has an entirely different meaning, we all got a good laugh out of that.
Hah!!! I know I’ve made some doozies in German. :P

(For example, I learned that “sinngemäss” and “sinnlich” mean very, VERY different things! :P)

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2863 on: December 15, 2022, 07:59:42 pm »
With respect to Spanish, often when eating in a Mexican restaurant in Chicago, a neighboring table will be occupied by two adults and two children.
The conversation at that table will alternate between Spanish and English, but (in English) the kids have a normal Chicago accent while the adults have a noticeable Spanish accent.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2864 on: December 15, 2022, 08:29:52 pm »
With respect to Spanish, often when eating in a Mexican restaurant in Chicago, a neighboring table will be occupied by two adults and two children.
The conversation at that table will alternate between Spanish and English, but (in English) the kids have a normal Chicago accent while the adults have a noticeable Spanish accent.
Yep. That’s exactly how it is with my Guatemalan relatives that live in USA. (Well, other than it not being a Chicago accent! :P )

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2865 on: December 16, 2022, 03:11:33 am »
(For example, I learned that “sinngemäss” and “sinnlich” mean very, VERY different things! :P)
Funny story about that topic. My wife and I grew up in the San Diego area, and many of the cities there (including San Diego!) have Spanish names such as La Mesa, El Cajon, etc. We grew up learning that la mesa was "the table" and el cajon was "the box", the latter making good sense because that city was a low plateau surrounded by hills forming a sort of box.

One night we were dining in a Mexican restaurant and had leftovers, so I thought I'd show off my extremely modest Spanish language skills and said "El cajon, por favor". The waiter gave us this very puzzled look. I repeated "El cajon, por favor" and did hand signals to indicate we wanted a hinged-lid box for our leftovers. His eyes got really wide, then he exploded with laughter and came back with a to-go box. I asked what was so funny, and he said "What you wanted to say was 'la caja' for a box". So naturally I asked what el cajon meant, and he said "Oh, it's a box all right. That means a coffin".  :palm:  :-DD

That became one of our favorite restaurants and the entire staff always smiled when we showed up!

The following users thanked this post: tooki, james_s

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2866 on: December 16, 2022, 05:40:48 am »
Language is always funny. There is a town in California called Coalinga.  Normally pronounced co-ah-ling-ah.  Sounds like a normal Spanish or possibly Portuguese word.  A brother in law pointed out that it was originally a railroad town and it was the first coaling stop on that branch.  Hence Coaling A.   Coaling B and Coaling C were not as easy to pronounce as one word.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2867 on: December 16, 2022, 06:39:38 am »

It's 2022. You can be whatever you want to be.

:)
iratus parum formica

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2868 on: December 16, 2022, 09:36:15 am »
I try not to understand the intelligence of the common motorist.

It looks like that the moment people get into their cars, the intelligence is left on the sidewalk.  :-DD

What you describe is probably global, but worse near big cities. When we visit the remaining parents in the Netherlands we start out relaxed with little traffic on the road, but as soon as we hit Paris you just have to adapt to a more aggressive driving style to get through. Then it is somewhat better for a while until we reach Liege and after that it is the Netherlands. Busy no matter where you go it seems to me.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #2869 on: December 16, 2022, 10:57:28 am »
dash cam owners australia :popcorn:
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2870 on: December 16, 2022, 11:37:22 am »

People who fail to reach cruising speed before merging onto the freeway (or equivalent in your country), and people who drop below cruising speed before having fully exited the freeway.

People here all do 110km/h in a 90 zone anyway so [...]

I've found it to be most efficient to let people who want to go faster than me, get past me ...  I gladly pull over and let'em go on with their lives.  Who knows why they are in a hurry...  late for an appointment, frustrated about life, pregnant wife in the back about to give birth...  it doesn't really matter, why would I intentionally block them?

After OMG 45 years of driving, I've long since concluded that it is best overall to go about the same speed as everyone else on the road - not significantly faster or slower.  If there is no traffic in sight, and it is a nice road, all bets are off...

And definitely, merge at the same speed as the rest of the traffic, don't force people to brake and possibly cause an accident - why would one do that.  And don't merge too fast either, that is just as bad.  Begin looking for your spot way before the ramp meets the main road, and you'll be fine.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 11:39:28 am by SilverSolder »

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, james_s

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2871 on: December 16, 2022, 02:36:46 pm »
People park at the end of driveways and lanes such that they look like they are trying to emerge into traffic.

I mean it takes 1 person to park that way and EVERY SINGLE person coming down that road has to take a hazard flag and ask "Is he going pull out?", maybe adjust speed.  Then you find there is nobody in the car!

That and people when there is only one other car parked on a residential street, they will come up and park directly opposite it.  I swear most people can't see the world beyond the length of their own nose.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Zeyneb

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2872 on: December 16, 2022, 03:11:34 pm »

People who fail to reach cruising speed before merging onto the freeway (or equivalent in your country), and people who drop below cruising speed before having fully exited the freeway.

People here all do 110km/h in a 90 zone anyway so to "reach cruising speed" would require me to first break the law and the merging lane isn't long enough to have time to select a free spot to merge into when doing 110km/h, it was designed for a specific merging speed in mind. So I drive typically 10km/h under the 90km/h speed limit and wait for a very wide opening, sometimes stopping in the merging lane if I have to. That is on the bypass that is. not on a major highway.

Don't get me started on the people who do 130km/h in the fast lane (on a 90km/h roadway) and come up behind you with super bright illegal headlights and blind you. Very dangerous. Very stupid. But just about every prick where time is money (tools in the back of a ute tray on an illegally lifted 4x4) does it.

And don't get me started on the number of people that have been killed by legally/illegally lifted 4x4s. They are everywhere and are around massive amounts of smaller vehicle traffic. Every few months I hear of a death involving a 4x4 and a small granny in her car. Just a few years ago a 4x4 killed a kid on a beach because the driver went over a sand dune blind. Fucking ban them.

At least the same people wisened up and started this speeding split nonsense. It used to be much more unsafe and people would often speed in the slow lane too, often in bumper to bumper traffic too.

Tell me what about speeding over the speed limit and staying 1 meter off the bumper of the car in front of you is smart? Its often not just one car either its dozens of cars all doing this at the same time. Sometimes with passengers in the back of small compacts. Its idiotic.

The rulebook says that you must not speed under any circumstances even during overtaking. Overtaking is meant for getting around slow traffic that does under the speed limit not traffic that is doing the speed limit just because you wanted to act like a dick and show the rear end of your arse to the car thats currently in front of you. Yet people do this on mass.

And I would get shouted at for having this opinion. Very much so. Even if I'm driving with kids in the car or with trucks around me they don't care about you and they wish the death on you.

Why is australian motoring so aggressive anyway. There is often very little time to stop when you see a Yellow light and you are regularly expected to go through the yellow light because often the car behind you is travelling so close that you cannot possibly stop quick enough. Yet this is stretched to the extremes, around here I often see people who see the yellow light and its already just about to turn red but they continue to drive anyway because its simply too dangerous to stop or because they are impatient (though tbh there are a LOT of traffic lights around here.) Almost every day I see cars punching red lights. If there isn't a red light camera there that intersection is guaranteed to get cars regularly going through red lights. They should extend the time on period for yellow lights and match it with the speed of the road behind them but that won't happen. If the RTA did that then people would take advantage of that "loophole" and continue to punch red lights only more aggressively.

Yet the road rules say that you should be slowing if you see a yellow light, if anything most people speed up.

I try not to understand the intelligence of the common motorist.

I don't know what the current rule is in other States, but in WA, there is no such thing as a "fast" lane.
If you can, on a normal multi-lane road, you are expected to try to return to the left (Kerbside) lane if you aren't passing.

On the Freeways, & controlled access roads, that is not practical, & often there are several lanes flowing simultaneously at just
under, or a tad over, the speed limit.
On the longer sections of these, the speed limit is 100kmh, but you see a few loonies trying to go faster---hard to do so at peak times, though.
Interestingly, the open road speed limit in West Oz is 110kmh--back in the 1960s, it was unlimited!

When I went to the UK many years ago, the "slow" & "fast" lane idea was pretty strictly policed, & I found it quite alarming, as from time to time, you had to change lanes, & took your life in your hands each time, with the crazies steaming down the "fast lane" at 100+ knots in their Jaguars, etc.

Screaming along in a "Ford Pop", trying to complete a passing manoeuvre around something even more dire than the Ford, with some rich twit sitting a handspan behind your rear bumper, puts some of the Oz crazies into perspective.

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2873 on: December 16, 2022, 04:23:00 pm »
Today im lamenting the disappearance of the local independent hardware shops,you know the sort of place were the assistant glances at the bolt your holding and confidently announces its a 13/29th BTF thread,asks how many you want and what length,before casually reaching into 1 of the 100+  wooden draws behind him and grabbing exactly what your after.I'm also slightly annoyed my metal punch set has given up,i bought it in 96 and its only done a few 100 20 and 25mm holes, dont nothing last these days.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2874 on: December 16, 2022, 05:00:24 pm »
Agreed! I got a very real basic education by walking around such stores and playing with all the interesting bolts, fittings, etc. You build a sort of catalog in your mind of what is available, and years later when you're solving some problem you recall that one of "those" with two of "that" and a custom shaped piece of something else is the answer. No classroom teaches such problem solving.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf