Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 589458 times)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise. WHATSAPP
« Reply #2775 on: December 11, 2022, 12:07:52 am »
Then this year they shoved their woke bullshit into the T&S. Nar. Out of patience.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilymason/2022/10/27/after-paypal-revokes-controversial-misinformation-policy-major-concerns-remain-over-2500-fine/

After PayPal Revokes Controversial Misinformation Policy, Major Concerns Remain Over $2,500 Fine
Emily MasonForbes Staff Oct 27, 2022, 05:42pm EDT
After facing backlash earlier this month, PayPal PYPL -0.9% rescinded a line in its policy stating that spreading misinformation on the platform would be subject to a $2,500 fine. Today, the remaining language leaves users and elected officials demanding more clarity over how the platform defines fine-worthy speech.

I don't remember getting a notification of any change in their terms and conditions so I just checked my emails relating to Paypal and nothing in there.

That sounds to me like open interpretation, a term once described to me by Ebay customer services about 10 years ago when I phoned up to complain about something I brought where the description in the listing did not match and the seller was trying to interpret their listing to mean something else to bolster their argument.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2776 on: December 11, 2022, 01:37:22 am »
What's this about woke stuff in PayPal Terms of Service?

Not sure if serious.   :-\

But anyway, start here..

In a quickly-reversed policy move, the web’s leading payments processor, PayPal, announced it would deduct $2,500 from users who violates its acceptable use policy, which includes bans on spreading “misinformation,” “hate,” or anything else the company deemed “unfit for publication.”

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/10/10/woke-disaster-paypal-u-turns-on-plan-to-fine-users-2500-for-misinformation/

You cannot be serious! Wikipedia says (my emphasis):

Breitbart News Network (known commonly as Breitbart News, Breitbart, or Breitbart.com) is an American far-right[5] syndicated news, opinion, and commentary[6][7] website founded in mid-2007 by American conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart. Breitbart News's content has been described as misogynistic, xenophobic, and racist by academics and journalists.[8] The site has published a number of conspiracy theories[9][10] and intentionally misleading stories

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2777 on: December 11, 2022, 02:11:29 am »
I think mental illness, combined with an ego that was never shown any kind of boundaries.
That seems to happen to people who get/have money or fame. This guy, Trump (though I think his goes back a long way), and - most surprising for me - Elon Musk. That guy has really disappointed me lately. For a long time it seemed we finally had a "Successful Nerd", someone who had made themselves wealthy doing impressive things and then went on to do even more impressive things, all without being a weirdo. Prior examples such as Gates, Jobs, etc. always seemed to have some rough edges that reinforced the nerd stereotype. Woz was pretty good but his achievements were hard for non-tech people to understand and he was somewhat hidden by the spotlight on Jobs.

But Musk did things regular people could understand: PayPal. Tesla. SpaceX. Highly visible, respectable, useful things one could be proud of. I thought finally we had a Successful Nerd who broke the stereotype.

NOPE! Musk fell to the same mental illness they all seem to. In his case it manifests itself as oddball girlfriends, strange obsessions (Musk's hobby seems to be accumulating offspring with multiple women), "WTF distractions" like Twitter, inane comments like those about the cave kids' rescuers.

Why?!? We finally had a nerd to be proud of. Yet right off the deep end he goes, like the rest of them. It's so disheartening.

The following users thanked this post: Ranayna

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2778 on: December 11, 2022, 02:18:22 am »
Musk's hobby seems to be accumulating offspring with multiple women
we had a prime minister like that

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2779 on: December 11, 2022, 02:26:38 am »
Why?!? We finally had a nerd to be proud of. Yet right off the deep end he goes, like the rest of them.

Perhaps being like that is what it takes to be that successful.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2780 on: December 11, 2022, 02:39:58 am »
You cannot be serious! Wikipedia says (my emphasis):

Breitbart News Network (known commonly as Breitbart News, Breitbart, or Breitbart.com) is an American far-right[5] syndicated news, opinion, and commentary[6][7] website founded in mid-2007 by American conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart. Breitbart News's content has been described as misogynistic, xenophobic, and racist by academics and journalists.[8] The site has published a number of conspiracy theories[9][10] and intentionally misleading stories

Actual quote from the PayPal company as reported by fake news Reuters:
"PayPal is not fining people for misinformation and this language was never intended to be inserted in our policy. We're sorry for the confusion this has caused," a spokesperson for the company said.

Never intended, huh?

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/paypal-says-it-never-intended-fine-users-misinformation-bloomberg-news-2022-10-10/
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Red Squirrel

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2781 on: December 11, 2022, 03:33:39 am »
Weird. Can't see  how they could enforce that. I mean, sure they could grab the dosh but they would be wide open to being sued for damages and the like.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2782 on: December 11, 2022, 04:55:55 am »
I cancelled my PP account a while back when this announcement first came out.  They sure didn't make it easy.  anything I tried to do, such as delete my bank account, would just end in a generic error.  When I tried to message them it went ignored.  I ended up calling them during the day when I was off and I said I was trying to delete my bank account and credit card so I can add the new one (didn't say I was trying to cancel the entire account) and once they fixed my account to allow me to do that, I just nuked the whole account.    I also put a stop payment at my bank, just to be on the safe side, since the account is probably not REALLY deleted.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2783 on: December 11, 2022, 05:48:14 am »
Oh I didn't even notice that said Kane instead of Kanye.
Yep, what a playaz. (that's player not Copacabana del Rio). Kane, Kayne or even Cane, moot point as his name is now [official]...
YE
Sorry for the gratituous use of HTML on the forum, but that's the only way to describe the etymology. Nuts? He married into the carcrashian clan. Wikipedia, thank you.

carcrashian  :-DD :-DD Good one  :-DD :-DD

I chuck the "Kane" versus "Kanye" up to one reads what one wants to read  :-DD

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #2784 on: December 11, 2022, 09:24:03 am »
I would not know who Kanye West is either, except for:

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #2785 on: December 11, 2022, 10:00:16 am »
People (<cough> Dave) pronouncing “H”, “Haych”. Ugh! Apparently it’s an Aussie affliction. Not a good excuse, hehe

Pronouncing “X-rays” as “X-uh-rays”

Software people trying to speak like they know about hardware realms. Stop.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2786 on: December 11, 2022, 10:53:26 am »
I chuck the "Kane" versus "Kanye" up to one reads what one wants to read

I used to think it was Kayne and the tabloid or wherever had just made a typo.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #2787 on: December 11, 2022, 11:13:58 am »
pronouncing “H”, “Haych”. Ugh! Apparently it’s an Aussie affliction.
It is standard pronunciation in English in Ireland (Hiberno-English), I believe.

Because it developed in tandem with British English, one without personal and emotional ties to any English language variants could claim it is just as correct as the other pronunciation.  I have no opinion on what is correct, speaking only Rally English myself.

Won't.  >:D

Kidding aside, you do have a good point, although mine (peeve) is the more general "I wish people would reconsider their beliefs and understanding, when confronted with contradicting evidence, instead of pushing their misconceptions onto others".  You know, like people who graduate from University thinking they know everything there is to know about the subject because they have a diploma of some kind, and ignoring the actual reality.
(Surprisingly, it tends to be much rarer among university lecturers and professors than other PhD's, in my experience.)

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2788 on: December 11, 2022, 02:54:58 pm »
People (<cough> Dave) pronouncing “H”, “Haych”. Ugh! Apparently it’s an Aussie affliction. Not a good excuse, hehe

Pronouncing “X-rays” as “X-uh-rays”

My peeve is hyphenating "X rays".
Punctuation usage says to hyphenate the adjective "x-ray" or "X-ray" in, for example, "X-ray tube", but not the noun as in "turn on the X rays".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 02:56:55 pm by TimFox »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2789 on: December 11, 2022, 02:55:29 pm »
[...] although mine (peeve) is the more general "I wish people would reconsider their beliefs and understanding, when confronted with contradicting evidence, instead of pushing their misconceptions onto others". [...]

The Japanese say a man is no good until he is 70.   Now you know why!  :D

Offline Sherlock Holmes

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2790 on: December 11, 2022, 03:18:59 pm »
My pet peeve, one I've had for several years now, is the trend towards removing physical power switches from appliances. Time and time again we read in "modern" instruction and troubleshooting guides that we must "remove the power cable from the wall" to fully reset or restart some device.

It is like a Kafka novel, the elephant in the room, sheer stupidity that makes stuff harder to use for many people (disabled and elderly people for example).

The increasing reliance too on (often) cruddy software, means there is a greater need than in the past, to force restart many devices because they are so poorly designed that a reboot is the only option and the "way" they let us do that is to move furniture and crawl around pulling wires out, waiting several minutes and then reinserting.

Doing that in the dark or dim, while tired or bending uncomfortably is a risk too, especially in the USA where power outlets DO NOT HAVE SWITCHES !. One can struggle to pull and grab the plug and accidentally touch the live connecter - it is insanity.

Almost all "on/off" switches these days are not that at all, they simply put the device into standby, low power mode, they are (in essence) a request to the device not an interruption of power. If these designers insist on making stuff that needs a true power cycling to recover then they should make that easy and put a good old fashioned power switch (or at the very least supply a cable with an in-built physical switch at some point along its length) - but oh no, that's a sin these days, that's a cost, a maintenance burden!

We've gone backwards not forwards.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 03:26:34 pm by Sherlock Holmes »
“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” ~ Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

The following users thanked this post: Red Squirrel, james_s, Nominal Animal

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2791 on: December 11, 2022, 03:27:42 pm »
My pet peeve, one I've had for several years now, is the trend towards removing physical power switches from appliances. Time and time again we read in "modern" instruction and troubleshooting guides that we must "remove the power cable from the wall" to fully reset or restart some device.
I feel your pain. Our hob uses touch zones, which is fine in concept, not so clever with wet fingers. The dryer and microwave can operate by just looking at them in a certain way. I blame microcontroller manufacturers for implementing capacitive touch on every GPIO pin. C is not a constant.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2792 on: December 11, 2022, 05:38:50 pm »
I totally agree with the diatribe against fake power switches.
A practical solution is to use power strips that contain real switches, usually as part of the circuit breaker, to avoid fumbling with outlets in the dark (especially with an arthritic knee).

Offline Sherlock Holmes

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2793 on: December 11, 2022, 05:56:39 pm »
I never thought to even look before, but just found these, they are pretty helpful for people who can't easily bend and contort or shift furniture, at the very least they're much safer that pulling and pushing cables into outlets.

That one even has a raised symbol so one can tell on from off in dark or other visually constrained situations.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 05:59:26 pm by Sherlock Holmes »
“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” ~ Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2794 on: December 11, 2022, 06:09:26 pm »
Just need the Clapper from decades ago. "Clap on! Clap off!"

Given all the worry that some folks expend over power lost to wall wart power supplies, and legislation standardizing USB connectors in the name of resource consumption, I'm amazed there isn't a hue and cry about all the soft power switch appliances quietly destroying the environment.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2795 on: December 11, 2022, 07:25:55 pm »
Given all the worry that some folks expend over power lost to wall wart power supplies, and legislation standardizing USB connectors in the name of resource consumption, I'm amazed there isn't a hue and cry about all the soft power switch appliances quietly destroying the environment.

There kind of was, hence the EnergyStar certification that mandates the max standby consumption. That was a big improvement, a lot of gear used to draw 5-10 watts in standby and that has generally dropped down below 1W on a lot of things. Of course the proliferation of soft power has probably consumed most of the savings.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2796 on: December 11, 2022, 07:26:57 pm »
Many people like to say things like, "I am loving this new thing," instead of saying, "I love this new thing."

Or "I am wanting a new thing" instead of "I want a new thing."

I don't get it.

That's nothing compared with: 

"I could care less"

It's backwards, the correct saying is "I couldn't care less"  In that you already care the least you possibly can about something.  "I could care less" suggests that you do indeed care and you could "care a little less". 

Don't get me started on "Caught 'on' fire".  and "Am too."
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Sherlock Holmes

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2797 on: December 11, 2022, 07:39:04 pm »
Many people like to say things like, "I am loving this new thing," instead of saying, "I love this new thing."

I don't get it.

"I could care less"

It's backwards, the correct saying is "I couldn't care less"  In that you already care the least you possibly can about something.  "I could care less" suggests that you do indeed care and you could "care a little less". 

I moved to the USA in the early 2000's and was fascinated by stuff like this, the only way I could make sense of it was that it might have originally been said like this:

"I could care less ?"

In the sense of a question, anything else is just nonsense.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2798 on: December 11, 2022, 08:05:15 pm »

I don't get it.

"I could care less"

With respect to the present continuous "I am wanting" and the present simple "I want", both are grammatically correct, but English usage prefers the latter.
I suspect that many people who use the present continuous learned another language before English, where that present tense is more common.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2799 on: December 11, 2022, 08:52:52 pm »
Others:

"Fell pregnant" (primarily UK)

"These ones" or "Those ones"

"Needs repaired"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf