Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 589545 times)

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2750 on: December 09, 2022, 10:49:37 pm »
Not having heard of Kanye West seems to be an advantage of living in the Netherlands.
Like any other countries, the Netherlands has bad people who are not well-known in the US.

The following users thanked this post: james_s, pcprogrammer

Offline timenutgoblin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2751 on: December 09, 2022, 11:37:52 pm »
Had never heard of Kane West, and still don't know who he is or what he does. Don't care either.

I don't know how it's possible to have not heard of Kanye West. He's a loudmouth that has been all over the news for years.

Have you thought to consider that maybe pcprogrammer is actually deaf? That would very well explain why he's never heard of Kanye West at all because he's never heard him.

Not having heard of Kanye West seems to be an advantage of living in the Netherlands.
Like any other countries, the Netherlands has bad people who are not well-known in the US.

Conversely, the US (may have) bad people who are not well-known in the Netherlands.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2752 on: December 09, 2022, 11:45:05 pm »
Had never heard of Kane West, and still don't know who he is or what he does. Don't care either.

I don't know how it's possible to have not heard of Kanye West. He's a loudmouth that has been all over the news for years.

Have you thought to consider that maybe pcprogrammer is actually deaf? That would very well explain why he's never heard of Kanye West at all because he's never heard him.

Conversely, the US (may have) bad people who are not well-known in the Netherlands.

English distinguishes between “to hear” and “to hear of”.  Or, as in the Gospels, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

The following users thanked this post: timenutgoblin

Offline timenutgoblin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2753 on: December 09, 2022, 11:58:02 pm »
English distinguishes between “to hear” and “to hear of”.  Or, as in the Gospels, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

I get that there's a difference between the two expressions. My reply was intended to be a joke, and not be taken too seriously. My fault, I guess.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2754 on: December 10, 2022, 12:00:09 am »
Speaking for myself, I've heard the name but have no idea why his? her? name is known. I'm guessing professional sports figure? That's the usual reason, and I don't care about professional sports so I'd have no idea.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2755 on: December 10, 2022, 12:02:30 am »
Speaking for myself, I've heard the name but have no idea why his? her? name is known. I'm guessing professional sports figure? That's the usual reason, and I don't care about professional sports so I'd have no idea.

No, he's an extremely wealthy musician, record producer, reality star, US presidential candidate and all around obnoxious narcissistic jerk. I kind of wish I didn't know who he was, but you practically have to live under a rock to have missed him.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2756 on: December 10, 2022, 02:19:49 am »
(Sorry Space Fans),
   Floating Interviews, in space station.

Did I mention, they are floating, there!  Maybe sounds sarcastic, sorry..., but they just float.  That's it.

A person gets to where they want to see; A
 roller-derby style team contest of wills, floating
'weight-less' wills.  A circular track, ala 'A Space Odessey'.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2757 on: December 10, 2022, 03:11:20 am »
No, he's an extremely wealthy musician, record producer, reality star, US presidential candidate and all around obnoxious narcissistic jerk. I kind of wish I didn't know who he was, but you practically have to live under a rock to have missed him.
Guess I'll crawl back under my rock.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2758 on: December 10, 2022, 06:26:39 am »

Oh that is very simple. I don't follow the news myself. The wife does and updates me on relevant stuff. Also have not followed the music scene for many many years because I hate most of the crap that is produced. Have a large set of ripped CD's of the oldies on my computer and play these instead of listening to some radio station with a lot of bullshit talk and shitty rap or other crap music.   >:D

I'm Dutch, but live in rural France. Even less exposure to the idiots in the world.  :-DD

Most likely also true for "good" people, it is a small country with only 18 million people, so peanuts compared to the states.

But on the subject of idiots, who knows of Thierry Baudet or Geert Wilders to name just a few.

Yes deaf for the idiots in this world.  :-DD

And by the sound of it this Kane West is one for sure.  ::)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise. WHATSAPP
« Reply #2759 on: December 10, 2022, 07:02:57 pm »
Whatsapp... during Paypal security check where Whatsapp is sometimes selected as the default selection (which I don't have don't want and have absolutely no interest in) instead of the option below to just send a text with the confirmation numbers like before.

Sometimes I accidentally continue waiting and waiting expecting to receive a text to realize later why it hasn't come through and that just aggravates things considering it is a poor signal area where I have to put my phone in certain places to get a signal.

Also now being asked to call someone back on Whatsapp through a text message.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:25:30 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2760 on: December 10, 2022, 07:40:59 pm »

Oh that is very simple. I don't follow the news myself. The wife does and updates me on relevant stuff. Also have not followed the music scene for many many years because I hate most of the crap that is produced. Have a large set of ripped CD's of the oldies on my computer and play these instead of listening to some radio station with a lot of bullshit talk and shitty rap or other crap music.   >:D

I'm Dutch, but live in rural France. Even less exposure to the idiots in the world.  :-DD

Most likely also true for "good" people, it is a small country with only 18 million people, so peanuts compared to the states.

But on the subject of idiots, who knows of Thierry Baudet or Geert Wilders to name just a few.

Yes deaf for the idiots in this world.  :-DD

And by the sound of it this Kane West is one for sure.  ::)

Of course, if you insist on Googling "Kane West", you won't find "Kanye West", who has changed his name to "Ye".

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2761 on: December 10, 2022, 07:44:12 pm »
Of course, if you insist on Googling "Kane West", you won't find "Kanye West", who has changed his name to "Ye".

I tried that and got "About 275,000,000 results". There have been a few mentally ill celebrities that change their name, sometimes repeatedly, bu most of the world continues to use their former name.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2762 on: December 10, 2022, 07:45:44 pm »

I tried that and got "About 275,000,000 results". There have been a few mentally ill celebrities that change their name, sometimes repeatedly, bu most of the world continues to use their former name.

Googling "Kane West" gave "Showing results for kanye west".  That's what I meant.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise. WHATSAPP
« Reply #2763 on: December 10, 2022, 07:54:01 pm »
Whatsapp... during Paypal security check where Whatsapp is sometimes selected as the default selection (which I don't have don't want and have absolutely no interest in) instead of the option below to just send a text with the confirmation numbers like before.

Sometimes I accidentally continue waiting and waiting expecting to receive a text to realize later why it hasn't come through and that just aggravates things considering it is a poor signal area where I have to put my phone in certain places to get a signal.

Also now being asked to call someone back on Whatsapp through a text message.

I don't wanna be "That guy" but I'm going to...

Delete PayPal. I was on PayPal from the early days and put up with it when they decided not to continue the football 3rd factor authentication when my one's battery ran out. Then this year they shoved their woke bullshit into the T&S. Nar. Out of patience.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2764 on: December 10, 2022, 07:59:35 pm »
Alternative theory, its all a ploy to get out of his contract with his management/record company without losing money

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2765 on: December 10, 2022, 08:15:15 pm »
Googling "Kane West" gave "Showing results for kanye west".  That's what I meant.

Oh I didn't even notice that said Kane instead of Kanye.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2766 on: December 10, 2022, 08:51:55 pm »

Google didn't say "Did you mean Citizen Kane?"  LOL
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2767 on: December 10, 2022, 08:57:24 pm »
Yep, what a playaz. (that's player not Copacabana del Rio). Kane, Kayne or even Cane, moot point as his name is now [official]...
YE
Sorry for the gratituous use of HTML on the forum, but that's the only way to describe the etymology. Nuts? He married into the carcrashian clan. Wikipedia, thank you.

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2768 on: December 10, 2022, 10:30:30 pm »
What's this about woke stuff in PayPal Terms of Service?

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2769 on: December 10, 2022, 10:44:09 pm »

Not sure if serious.   :-\

But anyway, start here..

In a quickly-reversed policy move, the web’s leading payments processor, PayPal, announced it would deduct $2,500 from users who violates its acceptable use policy, which includes bans on spreading “misinformation,” “hate,” or anything else the company deemed “unfit for publication.”

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/10/10/woke-disaster-paypal-u-turns-on-plan-to-fine-users-2500-for-misinformation/
iratus parum formica

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2770 on: December 10, 2022, 10:45:47 pm »
I think something about if they think you have spread false information like for example men are men and women are women they can take several thousand dollars out of your account. Something like that.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2771 on: December 10, 2022, 10:48:50 pm »
Snap.
iratus parum formica

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2772 on: December 10, 2022, 11:29:12 pm »
Alternative theory, its all a ploy to get out of his contract with his management/record company without losing money
Unlikely, or the penalties he seeks to avoid must be very large. Because his behaviour cost him quite a few personal sponsorship deals and cooperations. For example he lost a triple-digit million deal with Adidas, after bragging that he can say and do whatever he wants and Adidas can't stop him. Then he went on with his Nazi shit, and Adidas canceled the cooperation with Kanye, taking quite a financial hit themselves.

I think mental illness, combined with an ego that was never shown any kind of boundaries. Not unlike someone else who he tried to buddy up with :p

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2773 on: December 10, 2022, 11:44:53 pm »
I think something about if they think you have spread false information like for example men are men and women are women they can take several thousand dollars out of your account. Something like that.

Yep. They seriously tried it. But they quickly retracted when that made thousands of users close their accounts and the stock value plunge.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilymason/2022/10/27/after-paypal-revokes-controversial-misinformation-policy-major-concerns-remain-over-2500-fine/

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2774 on: December 10, 2022, 11:55:30 pm »

That almost has to be a joke. I don't see how that could possibly be legal in the US, which as far as I know is where Paypal is located.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf