Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 588327 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #575 on: January 24, 2021, 08:05:36 pm »
I'm sure it will work out, asking RS for a reel of cumquat.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #576 on: January 24, 2021, 08:26:51 pm »
"Amperage" and "Ampacity", words that tell me you need to be institutionalized or arrested for misuse of electricity.
I have attached a document describing the correct way to specify conductors.

Ampacity is a portmanteau of Ampere and Capacity...   just like we say "motorcar" instead of "motorized carriage"?

Amperage, on the other hand...

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #577 on: January 24, 2021, 09:10:53 pm »
My new pet peeve is using silly code words in place of a proper and easily understood description.  ::)

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #578 on: January 25, 2021, 12:30:44 pm »
That one has to be a joke, right?

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #579 on: January 25, 2021, 01:22:20 pm »
My new pet peeve is using silly code words in place of a proper and easily understood description.  ::)

Yea... First we just had LGB or GLB, then we had to add Trans, etc etc. So now it's...
L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+ to try to cover them all... (The + sign to cover future addendum's!)
I'm not against them, but why not include ALL people, 'S' straight, or 'U' for undecided !!  8)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #580 on: January 25, 2021, 04:35:52 pm »
Another pet peeve: movies and TV shows with a scientific or technical theme that totally mess up the science and/or technology.

Case in point: Infinite resolution cameras. A tech on a CSI show will pull the video from a CCTV camera along a street and isolate the reflection of a car in a small part of the frame and zoom in. The license plate will be a complete blur. Then the tech presses a button and presto! the license plate is perfectly readable.
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #581 on: January 25, 2021, 06:23:06 pm »
Yea... First we just had LGB or GLB, then we had to add Trans, etc etc. So now it's...
L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+ to try to cover them all... (The + sign to cover future addendum's!)
I'm not against them, but why not include ALL people, 'S' straight, or 'U' for undecided !!  8)

In that case maybe we could just shorten it to LG+. I don't really understand this trend of trying to separately name every possible variation of something. We don't generally use 50 different names for all the shades of green or whatever. People are individuals, no matter how many buckets you have there will always be someone who doesn't quite fit into one of them so why have so many buckets?

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, CatalinaWOW, GlennSprigg

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #582 on: January 25, 2021, 11:24:37 pm »
People are individuals, no matter how many buckets you have there will always be someone who doesn't quite fit into one of them so why have so many buckets?
My position is, why drag those buckets along anyway?

I mean, we don't wear badges with a picture of our genitals or anything, because that would be silly and irrelevant.  Similarly, the particular details of how someone expresses their sexuality or gender just isn't relevant in most situations.  I don't need to know your sexual preferences to be a friend or colleague working with you.

I know that to some, their sexual preferences or gender expressions are a core part of their identity, but fact is, social interaction is interaction; it cannot be dictated.
These new social rules of behaviour are really hard on people like me who just cannot perceive the importance of sexual preferences or gender expressions.  We are basically excluded from social networking, labeled as "haters", while we'd be happy to interact with anyone, just have serious difficulty trying to follow these newfangled social language "rules".  And, because I see these "rules" as basically either as a social game, or divisive tribalism, I don't even want to.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Bobson, Cubdriver, Ranayna

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #583 on: January 26, 2021, 02:00:29 am »
My position is, why drag those buckets along anyway?

I mean, we don't wear badges with a picture of our genitals or anything, because that would be silly and irrelevant.  Similarly, the particular details of how someone expresses their sexuality or gender just isn't relevant in most situations.  I don't need to know your sexual preferences to be a friend or colleague working with you.

I know that to some, their sexual preferences or gender expressions are a core part of their identity, but fact is, social interaction is interaction; it cannot be dictated.
These new social rules of behaviour are really hard on people like me who just cannot perceive the importance of sexual preferences or gender expressions.  We are basically excluded from social networking, labeled as "haters", while we'd be happy to interact with anyone, just have serious difficulty trying to follow these newfangled social language "rules".  And, because I see these "rules" as basically either as a social game, or divisive tribalism, I don't even want to.

Well I don't necessarily disagree, but the desire to classify and sort "things" seems to be an innate part of human psychology, and the tribalism as well. Looking under the polished surface of modern society we have really not changed much from the tribal hunter/gatherers we spent most of our evolution as. Humans are inherently tribal animals, they naturally form into groups of individuals linked by a common bond. That bond can be their gender, sexuality, race, country of origin, socio/economic status, hobby interests, career, political affiliations or anything else. Some people seem to be much more strongly driven by this than others but everyone does it to some degree and it is the core reason behind what I believe is a fact that it is impossible to legislate or mandate inclusivity. Humans will to some degree ALWAYS give preferential treatment of some sort to their own tribe.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #584 on: January 26, 2021, 02:23:12 am »
Humans will to some degree ALWAYS give preferential treatment of some sort to their own tribe.
I fully agree.  I only claim that we do have some power over how we define those tribes.  For technical discussions on the net, and for engineering/science work in general, (hobby) interests and experience makes for a much better glue for a "tribe".

Like Big Clive says in his Saturday Lives, "Hello to my technical family."

He has pointed out a couple of times that he knows quite a few technical people who aren't heterosexual.  I don't think it is a coincidence: I think that because technical people are more interested in technical things than social details, it is much easier for all kinds of persons to fit in.  It does not matter how "weird" you are; as long as you do good work and help others you're accepted, because those social details are just details, a spice if you will, and nothing relevant to whether or not one is considered a member of "the technical tribe".

(And, if I am correct on this, it means that "inclusivity efforts" in engineering/science fields, from programming projects to electrical engineering, will backfire: they impose new behavioural norms and patterns where individual variety was widely accepted, and therefore just end up excluding people.  This has already happened, StackExchange network probably being the best example.)

For social networking like Fakebook, Twatter, etc., I have no idea or comments, since I do not use those.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 02:26:25 am by Nominal Animal »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2021, 02:57:50 am »
He has pointed out a couple of times that he knows quite a few technical people who aren't heterosexual.  I don't think it is a coincidence: I think that because technical people are more interested in technical things than social details, it is much easier for all kinds of persons to fit in.

Ummm... so if tech people aren't too interested in social details, how does Big Clive know how his tech people hang?

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #586 on: January 26, 2021, 03:10:26 am »
He has pointed out a couple of times that he knows quite a few technical people who aren't heterosexual.  I don't think it is a coincidence: I think that because technical people are more interested in technical things than social details, it is much easier for all kinds of persons to fit in.

Ummm... so if tech people aren't too interested in social details, how does Big Clive know how his tech people hang?

Patreon only after-stream party?    :o

iratus parum formica

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #587 on: January 26, 2021, 04:11:19 am »

He has done a lot of freelance work with lots of people.  Don't you ever make friends at work?  After working with them a few weeks, and going for beers or whatever, and opening up?

I'm not sure "interested" is the correct word, though.  I am interested in many things that are not important at all to me; I don't know how to express that.  Perhaps, "social details are not a factor", because by default, everyone is different, an individual?

It's not like orientation etc. needs to be kept hidden.  It just isn't important at all.  It can be interesting, but it is not relevant.  To me, it's the sort of thing that may come up naturally in some discussion, or perhaps when revealing personal details over a nice lunch or beers after work, or something, and you trust the person enough to consider them a friend: voluntary, possibly interesting, but fundamentally irrelevant: like the color of your hair or skin, or whether you sleep with socks on or off, or whether you prefer cats over dogs.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #588 on: January 26, 2021, 07:12:17 am »
There are certainly some non-hetero people that I work with, it's not relevant to the job but it's not exactly a secret either. When you spend 8+ hours a day around a group of people you tend to hear about whatever is going on in their personal lives and in most cases end up friends with at least some of them eventually. Whether the numbers in technical fields are higher than in other types of jobs I really don't know, unless you count the fast food job I worked when I was a teenager I've always worked in tech. Generally techies tend to be pretty accepting I think, I've worked worked with quite an eclectic range of people over the years, some of them quite strange, but if they had talent and weren't total jerks they got along fine.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #589 on: January 26, 2021, 11:33:24 am »

or whether you sleep with socks on or off,

OMG!
What kind of weirdo sleeps with their socks on? :scared:

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #590 on: January 26, 2021, 12:52:32 pm »
Don't you ever make friends at work?  After working with them a few weeks, and going for beers or whatever, and opening up?

Used to, not so much now it's hard to talk to people. But thinking back to previous lives, nothing pops into mind about anyone.

Perhaps I have just been too uninterested in people's private lives.

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #591 on: January 26, 2021, 02:44:37 pm »

OMG!

I grew up in Northern Minnesota, where the cold weather kept the riff-raff out.  We had socks dedicated to bed use.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #592 on: January 26, 2021, 10:24:00 pm »

OMG!
I bet you  there are nights in winter you tuck your tracky dacks into your socks before going to bed :-DD

Online floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #593 on: January 26, 2021, 10:34:33 pm »
100,000,000 pF !   WTF is wrong with capacitor manufacturers. Marty, start the DeLorean! Oh wait need 1.21GpF's and we only got 0.1GpF.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #594 on: January 26, 2021, 10:36:50 pm »

OMG!
I bet you  there are nights in winter you tuck your tracky dacks into your socks before going to bed :-DD

Or if the person next to you has cold feet!  :rant:
iratus parum formica

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #595 on: January 26, 2021, 11:14:49 pm »
Don't you ever make friends at work?  After working with them a few weeks, and going for beers or whatever, and opening up?

Used to, not so much now it's hard to talk to people. But thinking back to previous lives, nothing pops into mind about anyone.

Perhaps I have just been too uninterested in people's private lives.
I personally just don't notice.  I once did some programming work for a gay couple, without realizing they were gay.  It just isn't relevant to me.  They even introduced me to the puppy they just got, and I didn't "put two and two together", so to speak. :palm:

Note that in real face-to-face interactions, I'm quite easy to talk to, and talkative myself.  It is not a matter of not talking/listening.

Which is exactly why these social "you must observe subtle social cues, and respect them, or you will be ostracized" rules are so hard for me.  Impossible, really.

The following users thanked this post: rhodges

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #596 on: January 27, 2021, 07:49:47 pm »
Or if the person next to you has cold feet!  :rant:

I wish I had that problem, instead when I go to bed it sometimes feels like the soles of my feet are on fire and I end up poking them out from the covers. It has always affected me for as long as I remember, not every night but frequently. Occasionally it's to the point where I'll get up and go stand on the cool tile floor in the bathroom for a few minutes. I've heard others complain of the same thing but I've never seen a conclusive answer to why it happens.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #597 on: January 27, 2021, 07:52:26 pm »
Note that in real face-to-face interactions, I'm quite easy to talk to, and talkative myself.  It is not a matter of not talking/listening.

Which is exactly why these social "you must observe subtle social cues, and respect them, or you will be ostracized" rules are so hard for me.  Impossible, really.

You might be marginally autistic, I am and can certainly relate to that difficulty with social cues. I just don't "get it", never have, and at this point I probably never will. All I can do is observe the way other people respond in various situations and try to emulate them.

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #598 on: January 28, 2021, 01:04:01 pm »

In that case maybe we could just shorten it to LG+. I don't really understand this trend of trying to separately name every possible variation of something. We don't generally use 50 different names for all the shades of green or whatever. People are individuals, no matter how many buckets you have there will always be someone who doesn't quite fit into one of them so why have so many buckets?

Sorry, I'll get off this branch here... (I started the 'L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+' thing...). I don't have a personal problem at all, with
anyone in this regard and I know many!  The only problem I noticed right back from when my boys were in BoyScouts
and played Football etc, is the LOGISTICAL problems!!  Boys (here) can't join 'GirlGuides', but girls can join BoyScouts.
A 'girl' may be transgender now, but what do you do in regards to change-rooms or toilets etc?? for football too etc...
And when a Girl was with BoyScouts, she had to have a woman chaperone, and used up a 6 person tent on her own
so the boys had to crowd into what was remaining. The Scout Hall even had to build a separate toilet/change-room
for her. (She left after a few months). These are the things that need to be taken into account too!!   :P
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #599 on: January 28, 2021, 01:15:28 pm »

Sorry, I'll get off this branch here... (I started the 'L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+' thing...). I don't have a personal problem at all, with
anyone in this regard and I know many!  The only problem I noticed right back from when my boys were in BoyScouts
and played Football etc, is the LOGISTICAL problems!!  Boys (here) can't join 'GirlGuides', but girls can join BoyScouts.
A 'girl' may be transgender now, but what do you do in regards to change-rooms or toilets etc?? for football too etc...
And when a Girl was with BoyScouts, she had to have a woman chaperone, and used up a 6 person tent on her own
so the boys had to crowd into what was remaining. The Scout Hall even had to build a separate toilet/change-room
for her. (She left after a few months). These are the things that need to be taken into account too!!   :P

As the Brother of a Gay Sister Glenn where do you get of other than one handed typing! Undecided is grossly offensive >:(

Other than that  :bullshit: this is an Electronics forum so take your personal opinions and piss off to which ever cellar you like!
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf