Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 602974 times)

Kim Christensen, themadhippy and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2400 on: November 03, 2022, 07:09:38 am »
Lot of high rise buildings at one time used to use the thirteenth floor as a service floor, as it is high up, so put the booster pumps and tanks there for both the lower floor fire fighting and to pump higher up in the building, as your standard steel water piping is starting to reach the limit of cheap steel piping systems, at around 10bar pressure, so you need to have header tanks and controls there. Plus you need to snub the waste water piping, along with the storm water pipes, so they do not erode the pipes badly.

6th floor you install pressure reducing valves for the lower and upper floors, so you have no more than 6 bar pressure, within the limits for taps to handle. Plus room for electrical distribution, so you can use diversity on cables to reduce size, and put in the LV distribution transformers. Solves a lot of problems doing it there, use the floor some are unhappy with, and get services up where needed.

After that you simply repeat every 12 floors till top, though often on a very high building you also have express elevators to a sky lobby on one of these floors, so you do not need to have crowding of them, plus the lower floors have a separate machine room to them, and you can reuse the shaft for higher floors.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2401 on: November 03, 2022, 09:17:36 am »
In Germany recently, I noted the building lift went 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 ... 12.0 Point zero? Is this German's being super accurate? Nine. It's because europeans count half floors or Mezzanines - from latin mezzo for half. So that could be ...2.0 2.5 3.0... With a point zero, maybe the building had a secret half floor?  ...12.0 13.5 14.0...

( The train will be arriving at platform 9.75 )

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2402 on: November 03, 2022, 09:31:16 am »
In Germany recently, I noted the building lift went 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 ... 12.0 Point zero? Is this German's being super accurate? Nine. It's because europeans count half floors or Mezzanines - from latin mezzo for half. So that could be ...2.0 2.5 3.0... With a point zero, maybe the building had a secret half floor?  ...12.0 13.5 14.0...

Ha, remember that movie Being John Malkovich? What was that name of that company where they had that half floor?
goto considered awesome!

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2403 on: November 03, 2022, 11:54:47 am »

And Germans can handle negative numbers, so the basement floors go -1, -2, -3...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2404 on: November 03, 2022, 12:32:01 pm »
More likely a typo by the Chinese that made the plate. IIRC in German language they put a dot behind a number to tell is it part of a sequence. 1st => 1.  2nd => 2.  5th => 5.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2405 on: November 03, 2022, 01:15:08 pm »
Or maybe we're just over thinking, and the real reason is the floor number is defined in firmware by a floating point number?

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2406 on: November 03, 2022, 01:46:01 pm »
Crystal resonators overtones are not multiples of the fundamental.
Since crystals are three-dimensional, the overtones are not harmonic;  one dimension is much thinner than the other two, so the overtone modes are close to harmonics.
The overtone frequencies are roughly integer multiples, hence the terms "third overtone", "fifth overtone", etc.
By physical symmetry, there are no even overtone modes with these crystals.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2407 on: November 03, 2022, 01:46:45 pm »
the real reason is the floor number is defined in firmware by a floating point number?
Its a floating floor?

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2408 on: November 03, 2022, 02:37:12 pm »
I don't see a contradiction. One (1) is a "positive integer", and if you multiply the fundamental by this positive integer you get the original frequency. Calling the fundamental the "1st harmonic" is consistent with this.

"Real Radio people" don't use that terminology, but calling the fundamental the "Ist harmonic" is more tolerable than those who think 2f is the 'first harmonic" because it is the first one you see on a Spectrum analyser.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2409 on: November 03, 2022, 02:43:22 pm »
The ones that bother me are tall buildings that don't have a 13th floor. It should be obvious that they do in fact have a 13th floor, and calling it 14 doesn't change that. The fact that it's 2022 and people in a developed nation still believe in the concept of an unlucky number just does not compute to me.

Back in the day, the 13th floor would probably have been marked "12a"!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2410 on: November 03, 2022, 02:46:52 pm »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2411 on: November 03, 2022, 02:48:20 pm »
The ones that bother me are tall buildings that don't have a 13th floor. It should be obvious that they do in fact have a 13th floor, and calling it 14 doesn't change that. The fact that it's 2022 and people in a developed nation still believe in the concept of an unlucky number just does not compute to me.
In East Asia they always have a 13th floor. Its the 14th floor that is missing. :)

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2412 on: November 03, 2022, 03:25:55 pm »
One of my oldest and best friends is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met. He collects University degrees as a hobby, 4 at the last count, is fluent in French and German and very proficient in English, one of his Degrees!  I mention that because many native English people have a very poor grasp of their own language these days.
Anyway, despite his intelligence and education, he is a professional astrologist!!  He's also been a teacher in various subjects and lectures on Astrology, much of his income is Astrology related!!  He is also very religious!!  Personally I have no mystical or supernatural beliefs and have never believed in gods of any flavour, to me it's all snake oil and hocus pocus.
So for him to believe in such cr4p does not compute!  He's otherwise a very logical and rational person, and also a biker which is how we met.
We really do have some big fall outs over this, because he tries to indoctrinate me into his world. My response is generally to say, show me the proof, which really grinds his gears. He gave me one of his books on a birthday some years ago, it was about my star sign, yeah, I forgot to say he's a prolific author too!!  He dedicated it to me with an inscription saying, look (my name), no engineering!!  When we next spoke, I said, yeah, no engineering because it doesn't exist!! Astrology that is.  That was a bit mean of me, as it was a thoughtful gift, but it would never convince me that Astrology has any validity.
So, for a guy of his intellect to believe in such nonsense is very erroneous.  I'll have to ask him about number 13!
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2413 on: November 03, 2022, 03:36:23 pm »
One of my oldest and best friends is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met. He collects University degrees as a hobby, 4 at the last count, is fluent in French and German and very proficient in English, one of his Degrees!  I mention that because many native English people have a very poor grasp of their own language these days.
Anyway, despite his intelligence and education, he is a professional astrologist!!  He's also been a teacher in various subjects and lectures on Astrology, much of his income is Astrology related!!  He is also very religious!!  Personally I have no mystical or supernatural beliefs and have never believed in gods of any flavour, to me it's all snake oil and hocus pocus.
So for him to believe in such cr4p does not compute!  He's otherwise a very logical and rational person, and also a biker which is how we met.
We really do have some big fall outs over this, because he tries to indoctrinate me into his world. My response is generally to say, show me the proof, which really grinds his gears. He gave me one of his books on a birthday some years ago, it was about my star sign, yeah, I forgot to say he's a prolific author too!!  He dedicated it to me with an inscription saying, look (my name), no engineering!!  When we next spoke, I said, yeah, no engineering because it doesn't exist!! Astrology that is.  That was a bit mean of me, as it was a thoughtful gift, but it would never convince me that Astrology has any validity.
So, for a guy of his intellect to believe in such nonsense is very erroneous.  I'll have to ask him about number 13!
Most studies of which articles are most read in newspapers say the astrology column comes first. Those studies also find little correlation between the type of person - be it gender, income, IQ, race, religion, or other factors - and  the popularity of the astrology column.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2414 on: November 03, 2022, 03:37:54 pm »

Most studies of which articles are most read in newspapers say the astrology column comes first. Those studies also find little correlation between the type of person - be it gender, income, IQ, race, religion, or other factors - and  the popularity of the astrology column.

The stars look all different now since astrology was invented don't they?
iratus parum formica

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2415 on: November 03, 2022, 03:39:17 pm »

The stars look all different now since astrology was invented don't they?
I said "correlation" not "constellation".  :)

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2416 on: November 03, 2022, 03:42:01 pm »
In East Asia they always have a 13th floor. Its the 14th floor that is missing. :)

The number "4" is unlucky in some Asian countries:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia
This often results in skipping other numbers: 14, 24, ...

A classic Bob Newhart comedy routine (he often did monologues with a telephone) has the night watchman at the Empire State Building phoning in a report of a giant ape climbing the building.
When asked "how tall?", he replies "It depends on whether we have a 13th floor".

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2417 on: November 03, 2022, 03:54:09 pm »

The number "4" is unlucky in some Asian countries:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia
This often results in skipping other numbers: 14, 24, ...
Interestingly, the fear of 4 sounding like "dead" doesn't stop most buildings having a floor 4. Its usually 14, where the missing floors start, and may continue through 24, 34, etc. Nobody ever offered me a reasonable explanation for this.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2418 on: November 03, 2022, 06:02:00 pm »
the real reason is the floor number is defined in firmware by a floating point number?
Its a floating floor?
Or the lift is connected to a floating earth? [ please do not touch the metal sides ]

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2419 on: November 03, 2022, 06:09:13 pm »
Shall we start on the flat earthers?!  :-DD
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2420 on: November 03, 2022, 06:23:28 pm »
Shall we start on the flat earthers?!  :-DD
You want to squash them?

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2421 on: November 03, 2022, 10:41:45 pm »
   "The stars are misplaced' - - guitarist Jimi Hendrix
(Song 'Up from the Skies').

I started avoiding '13's after a couple incidents as a young person...
   BUT: MY superstition, and I'll carry it to my grave,
My superstition is 'Tuesdays before the 12th', (any month or year)

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2422 on: November 03, 2022, 10:53:34 pm »
Pogo used to worry when Friday the 13th came on a different day of the week, but Friday was OK because that was expected.
His friend Albert maintained that you could not eat alligator on any month that did not contain a "Q".

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2423 on: November 03, 2022, 11:49:39 pm »
My grandfather was very superstitious.
He wouldn't work any week that had a Friday in it.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Zeyneb, james_s, pcprogrammer

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2424 on: November 04, 2022, 05:27:01 pm »
After placing insulated spade connectors onto the terminals of this mains rated DPST neon switch, can you spot where the potential shock hazard is?

I had a few of these with the same manufacturing snag.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf