Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 575353 times)

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #1900 on: May 13, 2022, 06:43:08 pm »
If people can choose their pronouns, why can't they change their adjectives?
Answer:  because other people won't understand them.

I'm Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

Those are all nouns.  Historically, we are free to choose our nouns, and sometimes other people use them.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1901 on: May 13, 2022, 07:09:44 pm »
If people can choose their pronouns, why can't they change their adjectives?
Answer:  because other people won't understand them.

I'm Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

Those are all nouns.  Historically, we are free to choose our nouns, and sometimes other people use them.

Then...I'm awesomely awesome and amazingly amazing. :)

(The abuse of those words are one of my pet peeves.)

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1902 on: May 13, 2022, 07:21:44 pm »
That's OK.  One of my pet peeves is when Microsoft changes "is" to "are", as in your statement, even though "one" is a singular subject.

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #1903 on: May 13, 2022, 09:38:17 pm »
That's OK.  One of my pet peeves is when Microsoft changes "is" to "are", as in your statement, even though "one" is a singular subject.

Microsoft went through a long stretch where it routinely changed my name to "Simian Gorilla".

I now work at Apple.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1904 on: May 13, 2022, 10:18:50 pm »
"one" is a singular subject
Similar to how "they" and "them" are plural.

At least most of the time.

These days.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1905 on: May 13, 2022, 10:49:22 pm »
Microsoft went through a long stretch where it routinely changed my name to "Simian Gorilla".

I now work at Apple.

Apple is not much better. The autocorrect on my iPhone is ridiculously aggressive and very frequently changes correctly spelled words to something else it thinks I actually wanted. Not only that but it is very inconsistent, sometimes when I backspace and correct it autocorrect leaves it alone, other times it will "fix" it over and over until I finally tap the desired word above the keyboard. It drives me crazy that there is no way to set autocorrect just to correct misspelled words. I never, ever want it to change a correctly spelled word to a different word. Also I don't think I have ever once deliberately typed "ducking".

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1906 on: May 13, 2022, 11:19:22 pm »
I never, ever want it to change a correctly spelled word to a different word.

Most people don't know how to correctly spell words anymore?

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #1907 on: May 14, 2022, 12:59:16 am »

I now work at Apple.

Apple is not much better. The autocorrect on my iPhone is ridiculously aggressive and very frequently changes correctly spelled words to something else it thinks I actually wanted. Not only that but it is very inconsistent, sometimes when I backspace and correct it autocorrect leaves it alone, other times it will "fix" it over and over until I finally tap the desired word above the keyboard. It drives me crazy that there is no way to set autocorrect just to correct misspelled words. I never, ever want it to change a correctly spelled word to a different word. Also I don't think I have ever once deliberately typed "ducking".

*shrug* I don't work on the keyboard, I most recently did the client engineering for "Hide My Email" since I moved to iCloud a couple of years back. Before that I've worked on the watch, on projects going back almost a decade that are only just beginning to see the light of day, and I used to manage Aperture before it got canned as unprofitable. In between I worked in Platform Architecture - which is basically R&D. PAE is awesome but it doesn't pay as well as iCloud :)

My point wasn't "Apple is awesome, MS sucks", it was "Apple didn't call me an ape every time I type my name". It was also supposed to be just a joke - there's no real correlation between the 'corrections' and my employment :)

And for what its worth, I get just as frustrated as you do on the misspelt words; and no, that's not misspelt :)

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1908 on: May 14, 2022, 01:28:35 am »
My favorite examples of auto-correct when posting on this site from an iPad are typing “Poulsen” and getting “Poulenc”, and typing “Bergoz” and getting “Berlioz”.  The former is a stabilized arc used to generate RF, and the latter is a manufacturer of current transformers and beam current sensors.  The results are classical composers.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1909 on: May 14, 2022, 01:47:09 am »
Apple is not much better. The autocorrect on my iPhone is ridiculously aggressive and very frequently changes correctly spelled words to something else it thinks I actually wanted. Not only that but it is very inconsistent, sometimes when I backspace and correct it autocorrect leaves it alone, other times it will "fix" it over and over until I finally tap the desired word above the keyboard. It drives me crazy that there is no way to set autocorrect just to correct misspelled words.
Change "Apple" to "Android" and everything you said still applies. Maddeningly frustrating. ESPECIALLY the repeated "I know better than you" re-re-re-re-corrections.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1910 on: May 14, 2022, 01:56:24 am »
I never, ever want it to change a correctly spelled word to a different word.

Most people don't know how to correctly spell words anymore?

All the more reason to leave it alone if it is spelled correctly!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1911 on: May 14, 2022, 01:58:44 am »
*shrug* I don't work on the keyboard, I most recently did the client engineering for "Hide My Email" since I moved to iCloud a couple of years back. Before that I've worked on the watch, on projects going back almost a decade that are only just beginning to see the light of day, and I used to manage Aperture before it got canned as unprofitable. In between I worked in Platform Architecture - which is basically R&D. PAE is awesome but it doesn't pay as well as iCloud :)

My point wasn't "Apple is awesome, MS sucks", it was "Apple didn't call me an ape every time I type my name". It was also supposed to be just a joke - there's no real correlation between the 'corrections' and my employment :)

And for what its worth, I get just as frustrated as you do on the misspelt words; and no, that's not misspelt :)

I wasn't suggesting it was somehow your fault. I was just pointing out essentially that these products all kind of suck in various ways no matter which company they come from.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1912 on: May 14, 2022, 09:45:44 am »
Change "Apple" to "Android" and everything you said still applies. Maddeningly frustrating. ESPECIALLY the repeated "I know better than you" re-re-re-re-corrections.

There must be some setting for that - on my phone I get suggestions (some quite clever) but no auto-correct. Is it something new in 11?

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1913 on: May 14, 2022, 02:17:32 pm »
Pet peeve: Labels like 'open sores' and 'pro-rapey software'.  Just call them "open source" and "proprietary software"; language is hard enough as is.

I still like wordplay and puns, though.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1914 on: June 08, 2022, 11:43:02 pm »
Roger Bloody Waters.

I wonder if he sees the irony that his shows are full of the mindless masses are exactly what he complained about in that double album.
iratus parum formica

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1915 on: June 09, 2022, 12:27:50 am »
Roger Bloody Waters.

I wonder if he sees the irony that his shows are full of the mindless masses are exactly what he complained about in that double album.

I think it's largely down to the fact that he grew up, became an adult, and eventually became aware of the reality that in the real world you produce what the masses want to consume if you want to be successful. Kids are idealistic because they are naive and have an overly simplistic view of the world. As they get older most eventually realize that the easy fixes for society's problems they envisioned in their youth are in reality not so easy.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1916 on: June 09, 2022, 02:34:44 am »
Datasheets that are plainly wrong.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1917 on: June 09, 2022, 03:14:25 am »
I hate the way the keyboard on my ASUS laptop seems to be too slow to always keep up with a relatively fast "hunt & peck typist", & sometimes just jumbles the last few letters I typed---they are all there, just out of order!

Another fun thing is that it often confuses the "space" key with several of the letters immediately above it, sobyoubmightbhavensomethingnlikenthis! .

Such things could be forgivable with a touchscreen, but this is a real keyboard.

Another delight is not the keyboards fault, but a W10 thing, where, following an update, or sometimes quite randomly in the middle of typing some text, it swaps my " & @ keys over

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1918 on: June 09, 2022, 10:43:07 am »
I hate the way the keyboard on my ASUS laptop seems to be too slow to always keep up with a relatively fast "hunt & peck typist", & sometimes just jumbles the last few letters I typed---they are all there, just out of order!

Another fun thing is that it often confuses the "space" key with several of the letters immediately above it, sobyoubmightbhavensomethingnlikenthis! .

Such things could be forgivable with a touchscreen, but this is a real keyboard.

Another delight is not the keyboards fault, but a W10 thing, where, following an update, or sometimes quite randomly in the middle of typing some text, it swaps my " & @ keys over

There's got to be something wrong somewhere? - a keyboard must respond instantly and accurately...  otherwise 10 finger typists wouldn't be able to use them!

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1919 on: June 14, 2022, 07:15:08 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/measuring-capacitor-leakage-with-a-multimeter/

the above is an example of a pet peeve of mine - as I read it now I feel close to catching a fish that has mostly escaped. But, perhaps the gaps and non sequitur are not fatal.
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #1920 on: June 16, 2022, 01:13:17 pm »
Pet peeve: Labels like 'open sores' and 'pro-rapey software'.  Just call them "open source" and "proprietary software"; language is hard enough as is.

you mean broken source ? yeah, there's plenty of that around
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1921 on: June 16, 2022, 03:57:03 pm »

you mean broken source ? yeah, there's plenty of that around
What exactly is your major malfunction?

Actually, don't bother.  It's easier if I'll just ignore you from now on.

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1922 on: July 09, 2022, 08:31:03 pm »
.. following some sage advice from David Hurwitz [on Youtube] I'm getting my classical CD collection in better shape.

.. a new "selected" recording's liner notes has prompted this [Ferris Bueller?] post

MDG - Our Sound Ideal

"All MDG recordings are produced in the natural acoustics of specially chosen concert halls. It goes without saying that our audiophile label refrains from any sort of soundmodifying manipulation with reverberation, sound filters, or limiters.

We aim at genuine reproduction with precise depth gradation, original dynamics, and natural tone colors. It is thus that each work acquires its musically appropriate spatial dimension and that the artistic interpretation attains to the greatest possible naturalness and vividness."

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1923 on: July 10, 2022, 01:40:29 am »
Hey, they weren't really lying.

"It goes without saying that our audiophile label [...] acquires its musically appropriate spatial dimension [...]" by disappearing up their own ass.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1924 on: July 10, 2022, 12:22:23 pm »
EDIT: Places I've seen this include Canada (English and French) and Southern California (English and Spanish).
I do not believe California has any mandates on bilingual product labeling. A very cursory Google search found nothing beyond an article about them considering requiring it on prescription medicines.

Regardless, I chuckle, because here in Switzerland, products must be labeled in at least one of the three official languages, but because of logistics simplicity, practically everything is labeled in all three, and increasingly in English as well. And with German and French (two languages with famously long text lengths) being among those three, this often leads to comically inefficient layouts. :p

"one" is a singular subject
Similar to how "they" and "them" are plural.

At least most of the time.

These days.
The use of singular “they” (and the inflected forms: them, their, theirs and themselves) in English goes back to the 14th century, only a century after the emergence of the plural “they” in the language to begin with!

Yes, the expansion of singular “they” to a deliberate “I identify as ‘they/them’” usage is new, but grammatically speaking, it’s absolutely established, and the least-disruptive of any of the alternatives. Any of the alternatives would be significantly harder to get used to, which is likely why those alternatives haven’t caught on, while they/them has.

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf