Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 604693 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #1425 on: October 26, 2021, 08:51:33 am »
And some of the results are so stupid . I cant believe that people actual search for those things.

I suspect a bit of the 'ole Boaty McBoatface syndrome might be in play.
iratus parum formica

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1426 on: October 26, 2021, 08:52:11 am »
My latest pet peeve is the Cookies settings now present in every new page you visit.

Addon for pretty much all browsers:

https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/

Basically, it just presses the buttons for you so you don't have to do a thing.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, tooki

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1427 on: October 26, 2021, 09:19:09 am »
My latest pet peeve is the Cookies settings now present in every new page you visit.

Was going to suggest this though I don't use it myself and prolly should. Couldn't remember the name of it and meant to come back to it tomorrow if noone had mentioned it. Good thing you're here!  :)

Now, if only there were a plug-in to enable me to figure out who you are talking to when you quote posts...

;)

:horse:
iratus parum formica

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #1428 on: October 26, 2021, 10:05:10 am »

Now, if only there were a plug-in to enable me to figure out who you are talking to when you quote posts...

;)

Try Trending  Search  for sure its between
Peanut butter & can oozlum bird really fly backwards  :-DD        (edited Typo)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 11:03:19 pm by Labrat101 »
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1429 on: October 26, 2021, 01:52:56 pm »
you can thank the eu's digital transparency laws or some such nonsense,its also why some us web sites are unavailable here in the uk.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: October 26, 2021, 03:30:10 pm »
you can thank the eu's digital transparency laws or some such nonsense,its also why some us web sites are unavailable here in the uk.

Is the UK still following those EU laws post-Brexit?
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1431 on: October 26, 2021, 04:51:00 pm »
But of course ,plus 1000's of others ,its only when they see a profit or a way of further stifling personal freedoms  do things get changed

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #1432 on: October 27, 2021, 05:52:35 am »

They made all EU law UK law when they exited, the poor sods, because they had not the time to fix it first, and now the government is trying to drive all progress made through this legislation (which for the most parts is good for the public and bad for companies without a conscience ) away from the UK to make it as bad as the USA.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #1433 on: October 27, 2021, 08:32:05 pm »

Thank you, dunkemhigh, but I will pass due to this assertive on their page: "sometimes it will accept all and sometimes only necessary cookie categories, depending on what's easier to do"
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1434 on: October 28, 2021, 08:50:29 am »
I will pass due to this assertive on their page

Its only purpose is to get rid of the nagging dialogs, not protect you from anything.

If you're concerned about cookie usage you would normally have your browser set appropriately (or run a cookie managing extension), so whatever the website thinks it's allowed to do is meaningless - your local settings trump it.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #1435 on: October 28, 2021, 12:52:06 pm »
Its only purpose is to get rid of the nagging dialogs, not protect you from anything.

OH shuks It wont work on the Mother-IN-Law 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:55:13 pm by Labrat101 »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: October 28, 2021, 07:56:33 pm »
I have a peeve that I find really annoying that the   Trending  Searches . on the Samsung Internet browser .
Even going to the setting and disabling them . Does not  work  |O.
And some of the results are so stupid . I cant believe that people actual search for those things.

How do giraffes Sleep .?    :wtf:  Well  :-DD
 what color is a dinosaur .    :-//
inventor of peanut butter   :palm:   :scared:
how long to boil an Egg    :palm:     :wtf:

I have no idea how long to boil an egg, I don't like boiled eggs and don't think I've ever boiled one. If somebody asked me to boil them an egg I'd have to look up how to do it.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: October 28, 2021, 08:38:55 pm »
If somebody asked me to boil them an egg I'd have to look up how to do it

You'd find there are many different times to boil an egg, even to achieve the same effect. It would wind you up when they say to bring the pan to the boil then turn off and let it cool - that may work for their pan but yours will have a different amount of water, be a different size or style, and your cooker will let it cool differently depending on if it's gas (quick-ish) or electric (slower). Fortunately, eggs are quite forgiving and the only way you can really go wrong is by microwaving them (very briefly, it has to be said).

But there are some useful toys around. Basically, you measure water into them, shove in one to a dozen eggs and turn it on. They can be very consistent and the stupidly cheap and nasty one I acquired a long time ago still works perfectly. My missus even compliments me each time on how perfectly the yolk turns out.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #1438 on: October 28, 2021, 08:49:23 pm »
Nothing smells so good as boiled Eggs ..

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: October 28, 2021, 08:56:41 pm »
or feels so bad as walking around IKEA - the other day I found a short cut out of the store, however the trip was a wasted one as the stock to complete the bookshelf was not available.
In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught - Hunter S Thompson

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1440 on: November 06, 2021, 07:57:26 pm »
The one thing that makes me stark raving mad is when people do not read simple instructions they have available to them, instead of making a post here and snapping at others who point them to it. Surely, we all have things to do in our lives and expecting to be know it all s is not fair. On top of that to snap at others? I just stop contributing to the topic when I see that behavior.
There are some others from native English speaking countries, who does not take the time to spell check or punctuate, making me scratch my head and read many times before I can make some sense of what they write.
Is that all fair?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1441 on: November 06, 2021, 09:01:52 pm »
There are some others from native English speaking countries, who does not take the time to spell check or punctuate

I'm sorry.  :)
iratus parum formica

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #1442 on: November 06, 2021, 09:58:59 pm »
There are some others from native English speaking countries, who does not take the time to spell check or punctuate, making me scratch my head and read many times before I can make some sense of what they write.
Is that all fair?

Yup .. My Grammar is not so Hot,  But yours is also  :--
 English speaking countries, who do not take the time to spell check or punctuate, makes me scratch my head, having to read over and over before I can make some sense of what they are trying to write ! ( or Say)

Is what I believe you meant .
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:01:35 pm by Labrat101 »

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1443 on: November 06, 2021, 10:22:01 pm »
   'OOZALEM BIRD'.  ???   !!!   ???  WOW,

Flys Backwards?...Really ?
...now I really GOT TO Google that...

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #1444 on: November 06, 2021, 10:32:19 pm »
   'OOZALEM BIRD'.  ???   !!!   ???  WOW,

Flys Backwards?...Really ?
...now I really GOT TO Google that...
Sorry about the Spelling ..  your oozlum bird .
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 07:41:44 pm by Labrat101 »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1445 on: November 06, 2021, 11:01:33 pm »
To save everyone else 3' 30" of their time, there is no flying birds or anything, just this:

The oozlum bird, also spelt ouzelum, is a legendary creature found in Australian and British folk tales and legends. Some versions have it that, when startled, the bird will take off and fly around in ever-decreasing circles until it manages to fly up itself, disappearing completely, which adds to its rarity. Other sources state that the bird flies backwards so that it can admire its own beautiful tail feathers, or because while it does not know where it is going, it likes to know where it has been. The Oxford English Dictionary describes it as "[a] mythical bird displaying ridiculous behaviour" and speculates that the word could have been suggested by the word ouzel, meaning a blackbird. The earliest citation recorded by the dictionary dates from 1858.

That's it.

Oh, and "This video is targeted to blind users." But we aren't such and the entire text is there up front for copy'n'pasting.

The following users thanked this post: Labrat101

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1446 on: November 06, 2021, 11:06:16 pm »
Online forms with overly-restrictive (and unstated) field validations due to either obsessive fear of SQL injection, or ignorance about the range of valid entries.  I remember one form which didn't allow periods in a postal address field, so the commonly-written abbreviations like "St." and "Rd." were rejected - without explanation.  Another form didn't allow hyphens in the domain portion of an email address, giving only a vague (and erroneous) "Invalid email address" message.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1447 on: November 07, 2021, 09:52:02 am »
The comment of @dunkemhigh relates to something that i really do not like, and that sadly also happenes here a lot:
Posting of random videos without any kind of description or context. Most often the thread titel is just the video title, or something like "You need to see this!".

People, please write a couple of sentences what the video you posted is about.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1448 on: November 07, 2021, 07:06:01 pm »
On a similar note, I have 3rd party scripts and frames blocked by default so if there's a copy/paste link to a youtube video, I don't see anything but an empty post. I wish the forum could just show a text link instead of the embedded video.

Online Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1449 on: November 08, 2021, 04:14:15 pm »
When the dumbest person in the room thinks they are the smartest.  What makes it extra annoying is when they use volume to convince the next dumbest people in the room.

My favorite example of the first part of that: years ago in philosophy class we would discuss moral dilemmas.  The classic, would you take action to save 5 people even though your action results in harming 1 person.  The prof would give various hypothetical scenarios to describe the finer details and help us picture it.  One loudmouth would always try to pick holes in the hypothetical to weasel out of answering the actual question.  For example, 'I'd save everyone by running really fast and yelling really loud to get them all off the train tracks.' 

Then the prof would say, 'no you're really far away' and then they'd go back and forth ad nauseam.  That's when I'd start chatting with my neighbor.  That was the only class I've ever had chalk thrown at me for chatting.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf