Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228496 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #2125 on: July 26, 2020, 03:03:19 pm »
Bill Gates' vaccine: "Resistance is futile, you will be vaccinated"

We've all seen his software and the quality therein.

God help us.
iratus parum formica

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2126 on: July 26, 2020, 03:08:12 pm »
Yeah I’m waiting for SP6a

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2127 on: July 26, 2020, 03:12:04 pm »
Yeah I’m waiting for SP6a

If the vaccine comes with a free browser, I'll shoot myself.
iratus parum formica

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2128 on: July 26, 2020, 03:15:31 pm »
People who were previously infected with the original SARS back in 2003 still have high levels of T cells which also are likely to make them immune to COVID-19. It's also possible mild coronaviruses which cause the common cold might provide cross immunity to COVID-19, which could explain why there are asymptomatic infections, which never progress to even a mild illness.
Having been in Hong Kong during the SARS outbreak, and having travelled in and out of China multiple times a week during the peak of the outbreak, for a key project, I have been wondering whether I am even susceptible to COVID-19. However, the recent uptick in cases in HK is making me think I probably don't have any immunity.

Online Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2129 on: July 26, 2020, 04:22:49 pm »
[...] because some silly people will deliberately get infected.  :palm:

That's all a vaccination is, when all is said and done...

Well no because not all vaccines are a crippled virus, or even an inactivated virus. 

I'm not sure what to make of this.. are you suggesting that a vaccine is a bad thing?  Or that we shouldn't vaccinate 85%+ of the population to provide herd immunity?  Or that Bill Gates' foundation efforts haven't prevented countless unnecessary deaths from preventable diseases?  I really don't understand that hate Bill Gates gets for his vaccine efforts - the only complaints I've read have been from anti-vaxxers who misinterpret science and are paranoid that they are somehow being controlled.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Jacon

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2130 on: July 26, 2020, 04:26:31 pm »

Well no because not all vaccines are a crippled virus, or even an inactivated virus. 

I'm not sure what to make of this.. are you suggesting that a vaccine is a bad thing?  Or that we shouldn't vaccinate 85%+ of the population to provide herd immunity?  Or that Bill Gates' foundation efforts haven't prevented countless unnecessary deaths from preventable diseases?  I really don't understand that hate Bill Gates gets for his vaccine efforts - the only complaints I've read have been from anti-vaxxers who misinterpret science and are paranoid that they are somehow being controlled.
I can give you 2 reasons.

His software was shit.

When on TV discussing his dire predictions of the pandemic, he chuckles eerily.
iratus parum formica

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2131 on: July 26, 2020, 04:33:38 pm »

His software was shit.

...But had a big impact on the world...  including on those who thinks his software was shit!  :D

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2132 on: July 26, 2020, 04:36:36 pm »
will billy's vaccine insist its the only vaccine that can be installed,and will it render other vaccines inoperable if its not installed first? Also will it phone home every few hours to make sure its got the latest virus updates ?

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2133 on: July 26, 2020, 04:39:50 pm »
The real worry is if it would crash the system, unexpectedly.

iratus parum formica

Online Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2134 on: July 26, 2020, 04:40:42 pm »

His software was shit.

Ok.. what does his software have to do with providing funds for vaccinations?  He has no influence on the biology of the vaccine, and the measures countries have taken in the past few months, in part, were influenced by the warnings/findings from event 201 which was partly from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

But no, you didn't like Windows Vista, ergo: vaccines bad.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2135 on: July 26, 2020, 04:42:42 pm »

His software was shit.

Ok.. what does his software have to do with providing funds for vaccinations?  He has no influence on the biology of the vaccine, and the measures countries have taken in the past few months, in part, were influenced by the warnings/findings from event 201 which was partly from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

You want his vaccine? Have at it.

And if you're vaccinated, you need not worry whether or not I have had it.

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2136 on: July 26, 2020, 05:15:31 pm »

His software was shit.

Blimey. You do seem upset enough about something to miss a blindingly obvious pisstake. Hope it isn't/wasn't a life-changing event.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2137 on: July 26, 2020, 05:34:31 pm »
What are you, racist? The protests have slowed COVID. Thank whoever you like that they decided to start protesting or you'd really see what COVID could do.

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/covid-blm-protests-link
https://coloradosun.com/2020/06/30/police-protests-coronavirus-spread/
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/coronavirus-cases-protests-black-lives-matter-trnd/index.html
It's plausible that more people will stay indoors whilst there's unrest and the protesters represented a relatively small proportion of the population, but:
1) Those articles are around a month old, which is ancient history, as far as the pandemic is concerned.
2) The studies they're based on were also not peer reviewed, so don't take them as solid evidence.

Meanwhile, in the UK, the government has reintroduced quarantine for people travelling from Spain. Unfortunately, many people have booked holidays there and will lose money, as they won't be able to return to work for two weeks. This comes after months of lockdown and now we're having one of the coolest and wettest summers in recent years, so more people want to escape to the sun.

I'd recommend reading the paper in full. I'm not trying to be a cryptic asshole, I just have some work to do. If I get some time later I'll get some cliffs notes.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:46:07 pm by maginnovision »

Online Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2138 on: July 26, 2020, 08:42:08 pm »

How is it "his" vaccine?

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2139 on: July 26, 2020, 09:13:05 pm »
One might suspect this vaccine will come with a baffling product name (obJekt311) and have a never ending series of service packs that will close the viruses zero day exploits. This will spawn a whole industry of vaccine add-ons with features dependent on your health care package. As for intellectual property violations, China and Mexico will shove out identicate clones by the container ship load.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2140 on: July 26, 2020, 09:15:23 pm »
One might suspect this vaccine will come with a baffling product name (obJekt311) and have a never ending series of service packs that will close the viruses zero day exploits. This will spawn a whole industry of vaccine add-ons with features dependent on your health care package. As for intellectual property violations, China and Mexico will shove out identicate clones by the container ship load.

The clones will cost $0.0001 per dose, and the "protected" products will cost $12,000 per dose, to be paid only by Americans because they have the best system!  :D

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2141 on: July 26, 2020, 09:37:41 pm »
If I want to travel, what should I get the Home Edition or the Pro?
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2142 on: July 26, 2020, 10:06:51 pm »
The clones will cost $0.0001 per dose, and the "protected" products will cost $12,000 per dose, to be paid only by Americans because they have the best system!  :D
The protected products come in a box with an authenticating hologram and a QR code. The clones just come in a box.
If I want to travel, what should I get the Home Edition or the Pro?
Swallow the Tablet Edition.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2143 on: July 27, 2020, 05:29:17 am »

It's not "his" vaccine, he's just somebody with more money than he's able to ever spend who is actually doing something to give back to the world. You're confusing the source of funding with the actual development process, or just making stuff up, I really don't know.

Clearly you do not understand how vaccines work, yes, it does matter whether most people have had it, it cannot work unless enough people have had it that we achieve herd immunity.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2144 on: July 27, 2020, 06:09:41 am »
This thread had better get back on topic now...

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2145 on: July 27, 2020, 06:35:52 am »
I wonder how long the current situation (virus), is going to remain for ?
I probably need to measure a 'piece of string' and multiply it by a random number, to find out.

Will we all just have to get used to it, on a very long term basis ?
Yes/maybe, see above.

Will the Electronics and Computing industries, stay the same, expand or decline, as a result, in the longer term ?
It's unlikely to expand, as sales are probably dropping, as people buy less and/or can't afford to buy so much, in this climate.

Will countries be more likely to buy electronics, made from their own local businesses, rather than from foreign countries, as a result ?
If so, that would prop up sales, locally, which should improve the local technical sector, jobs market.
But in practice, I don't think there will be that much of a shift in buying practices. I think cheaper prices, are the over-riding factor here.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2146 on: July 27, 2020, 07:49:18 am »
I'm going to keep deleting posts here until people get the message to stay at least reasonably on-topic.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2147 on: July 27, 2020, 07:57:01 am »
I probably need to measure a 'piece of string' and multiply it by a random number, to find out.

Yes/maybe, see above.

That's today's big media discussion here in Australia, with headlines like "Should we eliminate the virus, or just learn to live with it?"
You can't eliminate the virus, it's going to be impossible unless you completely isolate your borders forever, and even then you still need to let trade through and other important things.
You have to get back to normal levels of travel eventually, society will demand it.

Will the Electronics and Computing industries, stay the same, expand or decline, as a result, in the longer term ?
It's unlikely to expand, as sales are probably dropping, as people buy less and/or can't afford to buy so much, in this climate.

My sales have actually increased during the lockdown, presumably as bored people buy stuff online. But as a whole, yeah, countless companies decimated. Probably won't know the real impact for a while longer.

Will countries be more likely to buy electronics, made from their own local businesses, rather than from foreign countries, as a result ?

Already happening.

But in practice, I don't think there will be that much of a shift in buying practices. I think cheaper prices, are the over-riding factor here.

Depends how long this whole thing lasts at a serious enough level.
It can take years to get local manufacturing humming again after decades of destroying local industries and relying on China.
So might be easy to revert "back to normal" (i.e. everything comes from China) if this thing passes before local industries can rebuild.
But there does seem to be at least some amount of a permanent "onshoring" mentality and some anti-China rhetoric from most governments now.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2148 on: July 27, 2020, 09:12:41 am »

Yes/maybe, see above.

That's today's big media discussion here in Australia, with headlines like "Should we eliminate the virus, or just learn to live with it?"
You can't eliminate the virus, it's going to be impossible unless you completely isolate your borders forever, and even then you still need to let trade through and other important things.
You have to get back to normal levels of travel eventually, society will demand it.

I agree.
But I think there are a number of possible developments (ironically, some of them, electronic), which may well be able to eliminate the virus.

[]-Successful virus vaccine development + ability to very large mass scale produce it, and that most of the world can afford it. Herd immunity will mop up (remove), even more of the virus as well.

[]-Have a cheap, reliable and fast/easy test, to see who has or hasn't got it. Sooner or later, the test should be developed, to be like that. E.g. Takes 2 minutes to detect, 99.9999% reliable, $0.15 per test strip, using a low cost, hand held device.

[]-Improve the contact tracing systems. Not going to eliminate the virus by itself, but can improve the situation.

[]-The virus may die out and disappear, all by itself. I think, many new virus's, do just that.

[]-Successful/reliable treatments, may be created. Which although the virus may still be around, if you can treat it, and the death rate, becomes very small. That would be a good work around as well. (Plan B).

My sales have actually increased during the lockdown, presumably as bored people buy stuff online. But as a whole, yeah, countless companies decimated. Probably won't know the real impact for a while longer.

That doesn't surprise me. All this 'free time' and/or 'indoor time' and/or 'not going out anywhere', situation. Seems to make peoples hobby activities (which many of your sales, are related to), dramatically increase.
Suddenly the mythical, 'Month of Sundays', has magically appeared and is actively running, for months on end.

Already happening.

Depends how long this whole thing lasts at a serious enough level.
It can take years to get local manufacturing humming again after decades of destroying local industries and relying on China.
So might be easy to revert "back to normal" (i.e. everything comes from China) if this thing passes before local industries can rebuild.
But there does seem to be at least some amount of a permanent "onshoring" mentality and some anti-China rhetoric from most governments now.

I don't think it would take that long, for electronics manufacturing, to return, to the West. Especially, if there is lots of investment, and Government interest (grants, tax cuts, red-tape/rule relaxation, free loans, other help).

If/when big businesses (and small ones), think there is beginning to be a new (brought back), market. Which they think is growing, and will continue to grow in the future. They can start new electronic factories, which can roll out, Resistors, Capacitors, probably basic semiconductors, PCBs and other things.

But, big Integrated Circuit plants, take much longer, cost a huge fortune to make, and probably won't return in a big way. But, they were/are made outside of China, in lots of places (I'm not sure of the split between China and the rest of the world, as regards IC manufacturing plants) E.g. Samsung/S.Korea, already.
So, that could shift as well.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2149 on: July 27, 2020, 09:47:42 am »
[]-Successful/reliable treatments, may be created. Which although the virus may still be around, if you can treat it, and the death rate, becomes very small.

The death rate is already very small, comparable to a normal flu (650k/yr), and less that half the deaths/yr in car accidents (1400k/yr).

Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf