Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228248 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #1375 on: May 15, 2020, 03:28:13 pm »
Exercise helps. After eating dinner I go for a walk for a couple of hours. Then I come back and shitpost on here, buy something I don’t need off amazon and go to bed and watch YouTube for an hour.

Next day I am wired and full of energy again.
LOL!  :-DD

I just came back from the swimming pool which has been open since yesterday. Lots of happy faces.
I've never been very sporty and considering me a sportive person would be an insult to every sportive person but I have to admit being physically active benefits my work productivity. I've made some new friends in the process too.

Same here, sad that it took a pandemic to discover basics like this!

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1376 on: May 15, 2020, 03:41:12 pm »
Just to clarify: I was already swimming regulary long before the Covid-19 pandemic. But pandemic or no pandemic: sitting in your home by yourself day after day is depressing.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Jacon, Electro Detective

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1377 on: May 15, 2020, 04:02:19 pm »
This shouldn't need to be said ... and I'm sure I'm not the only one to make this mistake...

Turning to alcohol doesn't work.  Sure one night a week maybe.  But it's so easy to slip into the habbit of drinking night after night.  It gets you short term gains in the fact you stop giving a fuck for while and chill out, but you really do pay for it and it's accumulative and will wear you down badly.

Not wise either as you are just showing 'rona your hand.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1378 on: May 15, 2020, 04:46:51 pm »
I've always limited myself to drinking no more than two evenings in the same week and only when we've done virtual happy hour events with coworkers or friends. Doesn't sound like much fun to just sit around and drink on my own.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1379 on: May 15, 2020, 07:23:37 pm »
Swimming in an outdoor chlorinated pool is extremely good low impact exercise and because of the chlorine, it's likely that it's pretty safe if you go straight into the pool. (an outdoor shower is of course fine too)

In the past I've twice, had pool access through work. which is great in the summer. I really enjoy it. Have not swam recently, though, unfortunately.

:(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 07:25:11 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1380 on: May 15, 2020, 07:48:05 pm »
Swimming in an outdoor chlorinated pool is extremely good low impact exercise and because of the chlorine, it's likely that it's pretty safe if you go straight into the pool. (an outdoor shower is of course fine too)

Being from Northern Ireland, water is something that exists, in nature, in "Fucking freezing." form only.

Heated pools are lies!  Lies!
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1381 on: May 15, 2020, 07:51:36 pm »
People soup  :--

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1382 on: May 15, 2020, 07:55:42 pm »
Sadly for me I've been unable to even exercise since going on lockdown due to a medical issue that actually occured the day California went into lockdown. Once I can though I'll be back in my garage hitting the weights and rowing machine. My sleep and schedule have been pretty much ruined since this started. Still 2.5 months to go so I'm sure I'll get it all sorted before things go back to normal.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1383 on: May 15, 2020, 08:07:09 pm »
Northern California is like that too, except in El Nino years, when suddenly they get dolphins jumping and you see barracuda and bonito and all sorts of crazy tropical fish. Every couple of years.

Most of the time, though, you go in and swiftly come out. Wincing in pain. Even (especially) in the (foggy and often cold) summer.

Being from Northern Ireland, water is something that exists, in nature, in "Fucking freezing." form only.

Heated pools are lies!  Lies!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:31:39 pm by cdev »

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1384 on: May 15, 2020, 08:15:24 pm »
@eevblog <- Dave, you're a fitness instructor? How about a workout video for EE's and other people who don't (normally) do work outs? You know, middle aged guys who think a high impact work out is dropping their multimeter on the floor, by accident  :popcorn:

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1385 on: May 15, 2020, 08:35:56 pm »
I went to an indoor pool. They have re-organised the swimming pool so there is a one way all the way through the pool building. Fortunately the layout of the pool I went to has the possibility to seperate the dressing cabins in two sections (incoming and outgoing). You enter through the front door, pay cash-less with a debit card and then undress in open dressing cabins. It is mandatory to put your swimwear on at home. No showering and directly into the pool. The pool is now divided in 3 wide lanes for various swimming speeds (slow, fast and insane). This actually is a better setup compared to the narrow lanes they normally have . Afterwards no shower and use the other (outgoing) dressing rooms to dry , put your clothes on and leave through the back door. There are fixed one hour time slots for lane swimming with 50 minutes of actual swim time and a maximum of 8 people per lane. Reservation is mandatory.

I stopped a bit early so I had a short chat with the (young) lady supervising the swimmers. At some point I had to use a 'get away from me' hand gesture to make her move away from me. We both had a laugh about it. People keep getting closer to you when you are having a conversation.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:42:19 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1386 on: May 15, 2020, 11:45:47 pm »
You couldn't have made this up. This is what happens when a country spends too many days in lock down.

Coronavirus: Dutch singletons advised to seek ‘sex buddy’*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52685773?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cvenzmgywd2t/netherlands&link_location=live-reporting-story

* Provided they are free from Covud-19, but not necessarily other viruses.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1387 on: May 15, 2020, 11:56:51 pm »
You couldn't have made this up. This is what happens when a country spends too many days in lock down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52685773?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cvenzmgywd2t/netherlands&link_location=live-reporting-story

The Dutch talk about (and do) what the rest of us dream of! :D

They are borderline too liberal even for Scandinavians...

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1388 on: May 16, 2020, 12:36:35 am »
"Friends with benefits"

The Dutch talk about (and do) what the rest of us dream of! :D

They are borderline too liberal even for Scandinavians...

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1389 on: May 16, 2020, 01:42:55 am »

WOW!!!!.... Now I really know what a 'TROLL' is.

Says nothing positive in life, knocks & abuses everyone & everything, solves nothing with their 'views', and contributes nothing except rants of self appraisal and bitterness. 

Why are they so ANGRY in 'life' ??  :scared:

Thanks mate, such comment from concerned fellow aussies is always appreciated, and helpful to all our patriots in these confusing trying times  :clap: 

I was trying my best to inform the very learned and helpful folks at this electronics forum, they are being duped by millions of networking professionals
spread across all the nations, especially now that communication is easy via international mobile phone coverage, skype, zoom and the like,
with full financial and decisive control over all the information outlets, news media carnivals etc. > welcome to verify that for yourselves if that smells like conspiracy instead of 'investment'

I wrongly assumed many here have the knack to smell the obvious corona bandwagon convid-19 BS, and investigate it thoroughly from all the angles,
especially with all the expertise demonstrated at other thread posts at this forum,
going to town on conspiracy theories, flat earthers, startup project money grabbing scams,
and awesome knowledge of manufacturers original parts and spotting fakes easily etc etc etc 

It appears I grossly misjudged and assumed electronics enthusiasts with good diagnostic ability in general,
also had a fair level of street smarts too, to suspect foul play going on, or smell the odor of a good con going down.

I sincerely apologize if my barn door kicking style has upset any members and put me on the troll radar,
as well as brought me to the attention of any closet censor group, making me a target to be ridiculed, ignored and ousted.

If that is the game being played, so be it,
I've watched it happen to others that cared enough to question the international criminal syndicate behavior running rampant again.
this time testing the waters to the extreme, for whatever they have planned next,
which I can guarantee them will be uncontested and unquestioned, and an easy gig/s to pull off, time and time again 

Have a good laugh at this comment, troll call or twist it about as before, but please remember who's at home going broke and or frustrated/depressed/bored, or soon will be,
stressing if/when the cushy 'Working From Home' honeymoon period dries up,

questioning by now (SURELY!?) what's really going on, and for how long,
if it's being handled correctly and not now a newly established  'industry'
dragging this out to squeeze a bit more juice..

and spare some kind thoughts who's still making and counting serious money during this ordeal, with no gloves or mask on,
with the ability to buy mortgaged homes, business properties, assets and freeholds for a song soon

Maybe they'll toss some casual work in the bankrupt business once proudly owned,
if you work cheap enough  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #1390 on: May 16, 2020, 06:33:30 am »
I keep trying to buy a bike but can't get what I want because everyone has decided to do exactly the same thing and has bought them all >:(.

Guilty as charged!

My usual sport is archery, but as with all other sports, that's been cancelled for the last couple of months even though it's something that can be done with no close contact between participants at all.

So, instead, I've been getting out on my bike, which I've been reminded is a 10 yr old MTB that's no doubt much more capable than I am over rough ground, but hard work on the road. I've found that recording my rides on Strava has been a useful motivator - and a good excuse to design and 3D print a phone mount too.

New bikes are indeed pretty thin on the ground, but I was pleased to discover that the Giant web site usefully shows which retailers have stock of any given model and size. I pick up my Revolt Advanced 2 next week and I can't wait!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1391 on: May 16, 2020, 11:01:01 am »
I've always found it strange why so many people have mountain bikes and only ever use them on the road. There was a craze in the 90s, with heavy steel frame bikes, marketed as mountain bikes, but were rubbish for hills, as they were so heavy. I got a road bike and never looked back. Now I have a gravel bike, as well as a road bike, which has drop handlebars but thicker tyres, so is good for the rough roads.

I wish I could work from home more. People just can't or won't follow the social distancing. Most people just forget, but there are a few people who don't care. It's very worrying to go into work and see it.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1392 on: May 16, 2020, 11:11:08 am »
I've always found it strange why so many people have mountain bikes and only ever use them on the road. There was a craze in the 90s, with heavy steel frame bikes, marketed as mountain bikes, but were rubbish for hills, as they were so heavy.

Modern mountain bikes are pretty light, mine was a mid range bike with aluminium alloy frame and wheels.

While they are far less efficient to ride on tarmac, they do open your options massively.  For urban cycling, curbs and small steps can be negotiated with ease, especially with suspension.  The larger tyre absorbs impacts with pot holes and curbs so you don't get blow outs, pinched tubes and buckled wheels.  But when the tarmac runs out and you are on forest trails, coastal scenic paths or gravel paths the road bikes just get left behind.

Where I live in Ireland I'm about a mile away from one of the most beautiful coast lines in the UK, some of it is tarmac, a lot gravel.  We also have many miles of "Ulster Way" signposted walking/cycling routes which are 99% gravel.

(looks for the off-topic hammer to come down)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1393 on: May 16, 2020, 11:18:12 am »
I’m after a gravel bike or tourer here. Need something which doesn’t wreck you on tow paths and actually goes somewhere on roads :). I did this in the 90s on an old galaxy and it was again good for mental health.

Alas no bikes as mentioned so isolation activity is now “couch to 5k”. So I’m currently looking like a dickhead in tights, some cheap trainers with Jo Wiley shouting at me for the next few weeks instead  :-\

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:23:58 am by bd139 »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1394 on: May 16, 2020, 05:17:02 pm »
I've always found it strange why so many people have mountain bikes and only ever use them on the road. There was a craze in the 90s, with heavy steel frame bikes, marketed as mountain bikes, but were rubbish for hills, as they were so heavy.

Modern mountain bikes are pretty light, mine was a mid range bike with aluminium alloy frame and wheels.

While they are far less efficient to ride on tarmac, they do open your options massively.  For urban cycling, curbs and small steps can be negotiated with ease, especially with suspension.  The larger tyre absorbs impacts with pot holes and curbs so you don't get blow outs, pinched tubes and buckled wheels.  But when the tarmac runs out and you are on forest trails, coastal scenic paths or gravel paths the road bikes just get left behind.

Where I live in Ireland I'm about a mile away from one of the most beautiful coast lines in the UK, some of it is tarmac, a lot gravel.  We also have many miles of "Ulster Way" signposted walking/cycling routes which are 99% gravel.

(looks for the off-topic hammer to come down)
Yes, modern mountain bikes are much better than the old steel frame ones.

Another thing I dislike about MTBs is the gears are often stupidly low, especially the more modern ones. The top gear is too low to do any decent speed on the road and the lowest gears are still useless off road because I'm quite strong and the back wheel just spins round, if I try to go up too steeper hill in a low gear.

Decent puncture proof tyres are a must on a road bike. Keep them well inflated to minimise pinch punctures and buckled wheels.

I’m after a gravel bike or tourer here. Need something which doesn’t wreck you on tow paths and actually goes somewhere on roads :). I did this in the 90s on an old galaxy and it was again good for mental health.

Alas no bikes as mentioned so isolation activity is now “couch to 5k”. So I’m currently looking like a dickhead in tights, some cheap trainers with Jo Wiley shouting at me for the next few weeks instead  :-\

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/
Yes gravel bikes are good, much better than a mountain bike if you only right on the road, but the surface is a bit rough and ropey.

Here's a link to the one I have. It's got disc brakes which stop quickly, almost puncture proof tyres, a nice, high top gear for going fast downhill and the lowest gear will get you up most hills. If you spend most of the time on the road, it's great, but in my case the tyres, rather than gears limit the off road hill climbing, due to wheelspin, as I found by trying to climb a steep grass bank near my house. I got it from GO Outdoors. I've just tried their website to see if they have them in stock, but it's not working at the moment.
https://www.konaworld.com/rove.cfm

EDIT:
This place has the 52cm frame size in stock, at a reduced price, so you go for it, if it's the right size for you and you want a gravel bike.
https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m1b116s23p79607/Kona_Rove_2020/Gravel_and_CX_Bikes/RS_GB/189268?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv4e48ey46QIVTe7tCh3HFAh-EAYYBCABEgIe4fD_BwE
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:24:38 pm by Zero999 »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1395 on: May 16, 2020, 06:06:10 pm »

In the end it always depends. A couple of years ago I bought a normal bike although one with suspension. It can deal with some off-road terrain but I wouldn't take it for a long tour on forrest trails. I wish it had steel rims though. I already managed to damage the rim on the front wheel but I'm not sure whether it is due to a bicycle stand where you put the front wheel in or a big hole. I never had problems before with steel rims except for a broken spoke every now and then.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1396 on: May 16, 2020, 08:34:50 pm »
TV series also start to suffer. Today I was watching an episode where they filled in the missing scenes (about 20%) of the episode with animations.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1397 on: May 16, 2020, 09:15:03 pm »
Some productions are trying to get back to work in/around Hollywood. Not much though, still very dead.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #1398 on: May 16, 2020, 09:45:00 pm »
Talking about the impact of the virus on business - according to the BBC:

"Lockdown has certainly prompted a boom in bike sales.

At one point this week shares in Halfords, the country's biggest chain of cycle shops, had jumped 17%.

The company said sales of some cycling equipment had risen 500% since the government ordered us all to stay at home on March 23rd.

Ken Foster says his bike shop, Foster's Cycles, in the Manchester suburb of Chorlton-cum-Hardy, is the busiest it has been since his grandfather opened it back in 1954.

But it has been exceptionally good weather. "

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1399 on: May 17, 2020, 12:10:17 am »
TV series also start to suffer. Today I was watching an episode where they filled in the missing scenes (about 20%) of the episode with animations.
If you think that's bad, post-Covid Japanese anime (animation) movies will now be a static image of a character just blinking, for 20 minutes. Which isn't any different to pre-Covid come to think of it.

We may have to get used to NOT binge watching box sets, just to make the episodes last to Christmas. Sorry Netflix.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf