Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228509 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #1050 on: May 01, 2020, 01:15:00 am »
Suppose it turns out you did have it. Would you be going back to work (although you don't normally, I think, so rephrase that to, may, hanging out down the pub)? I don't think there is confirmation yet that having it confers future immunity, so there is still a small chance you could catch it and/or pass it on again.

I'm working from home anyway so I'm not going to go back to the office for a while, it would be nice to see my coworkers but I really don't mind working from home and am content to do so almost indefinitely. There is very little I can do at the office that I can't do from home so even if the risk is low so is the reward.

I would however feel a lot more comfortable doing things like going to the hardware store to pick up lumber and supplies for some projects around my house, going over to visit my mom, maybe having a friend over for a beer in the back yard or heading to the park to fly model airplanes. I'm not going to just full on go jump into a big crowd of people but it would be useful information in the risk analysis involved in day to day life. Nothing is ever completely safe, the risk is never zero, but if it turns out I've already had Covid then I can be reasonably confident of having at least *some* degree of immunity, as well as that would suggest that I'm unlikely to get seriously ill even if I do get it again since I was only mildly sick with whatever I did have. Sure it's possible it could hit me much harder and kill me but I could croak at any time for any number of reasons, it's all about informed decisions and calculated risk.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1051 on: May 01, 2020, 02:50:30 pm »
Off-topic posts removed.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, GlennSprigg

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1052 on: May 01, 2020, 03:01:29 pm »
Off-topic posts removed.
You forgot most of ED's posts.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1053 on: May 01, 2020, 07:11:47 pm »
We found out yesterday that the shelter in place has been lifted here in Florida but doesn't actually start Monday.  There will be a phase one where retail stores can reopen to 25% of capacity.  Restaurants can use outdoor seating if it is 6 feet apart.  Elective surgeries will be resumed.  However, Barber shops, hair and nail salons are not allowed to open yet as are gyms and bars.  There is no mention when phase 2 will begin.  I assume that will depend on how phase 1 works.  No word right now on state and local government office openings though it seems some will start opening on Monday.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1054 on: May 01, 2020, 08:29:21 pm »
Working from home, where data exchange is the key to communication, works fine.

The digital video part of video conferencing works well enough. Still images like computer screens are transferred just fine. Adjustable video quality works well enough, particularly since it isn't all that vital anyway.

However, the deficiencies of the digital audio part of video conferencing are clearly being revealed. Long-distance users in particular often aren't clear, depending on the way the multiple digital voice streams are added together.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1055 on: May 01, 2020, 11:03:21 pm »
However, the deficiencies of the digital audio part of video conferencing are clearly being revealed. Long-distance users in particular often aren't clear, depending on the way the multiple digital voice streams are added together.
It is best if everyone uses a good quality headset. On or multiple phones in hands free mode is asking for trouble.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #1056 on: May 02, 2020, 10:46:36 am »
We found out yesterday that the shelter in place has been lifted here in Florida but doesn't actually start Monday.
Similar scenario here in Texas, but it started on May 1st (yesterday). Store traffic was higher than normal, but most everyone was using mask.

It is best if everyone uses a good quality headset. On or multiple phones in hands free mode is asking for trouble.
I always had trouble with the digital stream delays and distortions to voice, and the higher usage nowadays does not improve things at all.

We use Webex and, even when the system calls are done directly to everyone's cellphone, voice is still routed to IP (the Webex software detects activity and controls mute per individual).

A per peeve of mine was always the lack of interest in expanding the bandwidth of the voice channel when digitalization became the de facto standard. You can understand a person in front of you much better than over a phone, and the need to spell words or repeat things like phone numbers is much less needed in person.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1057 on: May 02, 2020, 10:51:09 am »
It is best if the moderator is aggressive about cutting off the audio from anyone who doesn't take reasonable care. Conference calls are regularly ruined by an idiot letting things like background noise in their room create a mix that's hard for everyone on the call to understand.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1058 on: May 02, 2020, 10:58:06 am »
We use Webex and, even when the system calls are done directly to everyone's cellphone, voice is still routed to IP (the Webex software detects activity and controls mute per individual).
This seems to be mostly a Webex problem, rather than an IP audio problem. Other systems do much better. Many companies who use Webex only use it for the shared desktop functionality, and use another approach for sharing audio.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1059 on: May 02, 2020, 11:30:17 am »
This seems to be mostly a Webex problem, rather than an IP audio problem. Other systems do much better. Many companies who use Webex only use it for the shared desktop functionality, and use another approach for sharing audio.
Agreed. Google hangouts and Goto meeting for example offer excellent sound quality. Needing to repeat yourself is definitely a thing of the past unless you use a crappy service or your internet connection is really bad.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1060 on: May 02, 2020, 11:33:32 am »
I stumbled on this video showing the empty streets of Paris:
https://youtu.be/XgafnMKTuGU
Normally the streets in Paris are freakishly busy so seeing them empty like this is so surreal that it is a bit scary.

Oh, and try to spot the hommage to Hergé  8)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:35:25 am by nctnico »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1061 on: May 02, 2020, 11:35:23 am »
I stumbled on this video showing the empty streets of Paris:
https://youtu.be/XgafnMKTuGU
Normally the streets in Paris are freakishly busy so seeing them empty like this is so surreal that it is a bit scary.

Oh, and try to spot the hommage to Hergé  8)
If you want to make a post apocalyptic movie, this is your chance. It won't be long before those streets fill up again.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1062 on: May 02, 2020, 11:56:55 am »
If you want to make a post apocalyptic movie, this is your chance. It won't be long before those streets fill up again.

I've been tempted to head into the city with camera and a big PRESS vest  ;D
But I think the peak of it is well over in Sydney now, I missed my chance.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1063 on: May 02, 2020, 12:00:08 pm »
We found out yesterday that the shelter in place has been lifted here in Florida but doesn't actually start Monday.
Similar scenario here in Texas, but it started on May 1st (yesterday). Store traffic was higher than normal, but most everyone was using mask.

I am still using a mask and gloves as I am one of those 'at risk' being a diabetic and I had a fairly serious operation about a month and a half ago.  What I do see is a growing number of idiots wearing masks below their nose.  Really?  Ron White said it correctly, you can't fix stupid.

It is best if the moderator is aggressive about cutting off the audio from anyone who doesn't take reasonable care. Conference calls are regularly ruined by an idiot letting things like background noise in their room create a mix that's hard for everyone on the call to understand.

We just shifted to Microsoft Team Meeting.  I always mute my phone myself unless I need to speak.  I have dogs and no one needs to hear them barking.  Regularly, someone is getting muted because of background noise.  You would think after years of weekly conference calls everyone would get the hang of this.  We're field services techs, we're supposed to understand this stuff. :palm:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1064 on: May 02, 2020, 01:15:44 pm »
On conference calls a good quality noise cancelling headset is a must.  In work (and at home) I use a Logitec headset.  On calls it can be spooky that the people using them are so clear is sounds like they are sitting beside you and they don't carry the office (or home) noise either.

When people show up on calls with their iPhone headphones I cringe.  Total trash.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1065 on: May 02, 2020, 01:17:46 pm »
We just shifted to Microsoft Team Meeting.  I always mute my phone myself unless I need to speak.

Yep, that's what I do.  Except one day, for some reason I didn't.  Not realising I was not muted, I decided to burp.  People on the call halted for just a second and then carried on and that was when I noticed I wasn't muted!  I figured they didn't know which one of did it, but it was very funny.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1066 on: May 02, 2020, 01:55:23 pm »
I was thinking this morning, how fortunate it is this didn't happen over 30 years ago, when I was my nephew's age. Back then, the Internet was in its infancy and few people could work from home so the economic impact would have been worse. On the other hand, some of the people who experienced the 1918 pandemic would have still been around and would been able to provide advice and support to deal with it, fewer people flew around the world spreading the virus and a large part of the world was still sealed off by the iron curtain.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1067 on: May 02, 2020, 02:16:03 pm »
I was thinking this morning, how fortunate it is this didn't happen over 30 years ago, when I was my nephew's age. Back then, the Internet was in its infancy and few people could work from home so the economic impact would have been worse. On the other hand, some of the people who experienced the 1918 pandemic would have still been around and would been able to provide advice and support to deal with it, fewer people flew around the world spreading the virus and a large part of the world was still sealed off by the iron curtain.
This happened in 1957. This happened in 1968. We just lived with what was happening, and got on with our lives. Suspiciously, if you look up either of those pandemics they say a million people died. The same round number being quoted for 2 events sounds suspiciously like hand waving, so its hard to know how much to trust the numbers. The death toll would no doubt be higher this time without some isolation, as there are more people around, living closer, and there has been a huge increase in the number of elderly people in the world, who are showing a high death rate from covid-19.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1068 on: May 02, 2020, 05:24:50 pm »
This happened in 1957. This happened in 1968. We just lived with what was happening, and got on with our lives. Suspiciously, if you look up either of those pandemics they say a million people died.
I did some reading into these pandemics. It seems these where multi-year events and it is not like people wheren't travelling at all back then. My parents have not mentioned these pandemics so far because appearantly no drastic measures where taken. If you look at the mortality rate of the Covid-19 virus which seems to be around the 0.5% to 1% we could be looking at 10 million to 100 million dead world wide. Remember most parts of the world are just 2 months in.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1069 on: May 02, 2020, 06:01:11 pm »
This happened in 1957. This happened in 1968. We just lived with what was happening, and got on with our lives. Suspiciously, if you look up either of those pandemics they say a million people died.
I did some reading into these pandemics. It seems these where multi-year events and it is not like people wheren't travelling at all back then. My parents have not mentioned these pandemics so far because appearantly no drastic measures where taken. If you look at the mortality rate of the Covid-19 virus which seems to be around the 0.5% to 1% we could be looking at 10 million to 100 million dead world wide. Remember most parts of the world are just 2 months in.
No drastic measures were taken in 1957 or 1968. We just went on with our lives. I was a toddler in 1957, but I was in high school in 1968 and well aware of what was going on. Schools didn't use any special procedures to reduce infection. Neither did businesses. Travel in 1957 was quite limited, but by 1968 the airline industry was big enough to spread everything everywhere quite quickly. I wouldn't call the 1968 one multi-year, but things definitely spread slower back then, even the normal annual flu strains.

If 1% of people is up 100 million, you seem to think that up to 10 billion people will be infected. There are only 8 billion people, so where are the other 2 billion going to come from?  ;) People get freaked out by the idea of biological warfare, but if you look at publicly available research nothing ever proves infectious enough for everyone to get it.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1070 on: May 02, 2020, 06:12:14 pm »
The 1918 pandemic was a world-wide event because there was a war going on. Massive troop movements by all involved on crowded land and sea transports are an excellent way to spread disease.

I was an infant in 1957. Supposedly it came to the US via Navy personnel.

Similarly, the 1968 pandemic probably was brought to the US by returning Vietnam troops.

This time around, we didn't need the military. We civilians were doing plenty of international travel.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1071 on: May 02, 2020, 06:32:52 pm »
The 1918 pandemic was a world-wide event because there was a war going on. Massive troop movements by all involved on crowded land and sea transports are an excellent way to spread disease.

I was an infant in 1957. Supposedly it came to the US via Navy personnel.

Similarly, the 1968 pandemic probably was brought to the US by returning Vietnam troops.

This time around, we didn't need the military. We civilians were doing plenty of international travel.
These things get spread by numerous vectors. The 1968 pandemic appeared to start in Hong Kong. Hong Kong was becoming a major air transport hub by that time, and was already a major sea transport hub. Most long distance ocean liners called into HK at that time, and there were quite a lot of those, not all of them pleasure boats. People emigrating from Europe to Australia still mostly went by sea, and called into HK, at that time. Of course, there were also the US troops passing through HK on their way to and from Vietnam. All of this was enough to spread the virus everywhere quite fast.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1072 on: May 02, 2020, 07:16:07 pm »
If 1% of people is up 100 million, you seem to think that up to 10 billion people will be infected. There are only 8 billion people, so where are the other 2 billion going to come from?  ;)
You missed 10 million to 100million. Not just 100million. My numbers are an order of magnitude estimate just to try and compare the severity of the current pandemic versus those of starting in 1957 and 1968.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1073 on: May 02, 2020, 10:27:38 pm »
That's called a "Herald wave" when you have a small epidemic one year and then most of the mortality hits the next. I don't think that anybody knows what is likely to happen.  Some people with the novel coronavirus also get sick again. There is no proof that getting it once conveys permanent immunity, some viruses just stick with you and come out when your immune system is weakened. Hopefully by next year they will know more.

All the kids around here are out of school, and you cant stop kids from playing.

So the kids are out and about somewhat, although its muted. There is also this custom around here in sururbia of parents driving their kids is caravans together for kids birthday parties, in separate cars, every few days there will be one, they all honk their horns like a wedding. That way they dont feel imprisoned. I can understand that. People are managing the best they can, going to the grocery the bare minimum number of times, etc. .

I'm glad that I don't have kids, If I did, I'd be concerned about them missing so much school.

The area where I live is in the midst of it now and lots of people are dying. Medical staff are burning out. But still acting very professionally. We need a cure that works, badly.

They did close down a lot during the 1917-1919 flu pandemic.

I have a good question, What are the best home internet setups for good computer security and low latency?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:31:00 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1074 on: May 02, 2020, 10:37:47 pm »
There is no proof that getting it once conveys permanent immunity, some viruses just stick with you and come out when your immune system is weakened.

I have already heard that, and am asking one question. (Sorry if this is naive, I'm no virology expert!)

If the above happened to be true, how could a vaccine for it ever work?
Maybe the answer is obvious, and if so, I'm going to learn something about vaccines.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf