Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228513 times)

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #1025 on: April 29, 2020, 01:41:10 pm »
This April the United Kingdom recorded the sunniest April on record. No flights and clear skies a coincidence? The global reduction in global dimming has led to the discovery of a new colour all over the world. Blue. Enjoy.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1026 on: April 29, 2020, 01:45:23 pm »
I live near Heathrow and it's dead too with blue sky (well grey and pissing it down). Just cargo planes!

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1027 on: April 29, 2020, 01:45:53 pm »
Yes, there are almost no plane trails in the sky anymore. Interesting how much they can clutter up the sky in some areas when there's normal traffic.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #1028 on: April 29, 2020, 01:53:08 pm »
Close to Amsterdam Schiphol, we had plains flying over us every 3 mins / 24hours... now its 1 or less an hour.
but not complaining... i also do fly.....

but must say its a lot nicer being in the garden and able to talk ;-)

:-DD

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1029 on: April 29, 2020, 03:14:02 pm »
Flights??!!  Why aren't there NONE at the moment!!! (Except for very special circumstances/emergencies).
The freighters are still flying, although I think even their numbers are down.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1030 on: April 29, 2020, 03:27:33 pm »
This April the United Kingdom recorded the sunniest April on record. No flights and clear skies a coincidence? The global reduction in global dimming has led to the discovery of a new colour all over the world. Blue. Enjoy.
Nope. The skies are always relatively clear in the spring (in Europe).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1031 on: April 29, 2020, 03:32:30 pm »
Maybe in your part of Europe that is true. Its not true of the UK, especially around Easter. The skies have been really blue for the last few weeks, although we finally have the more usual 100% cloud cover and rain right now.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1032 on: April 29, 2020, 03:35:49 pm »

There's a reason for the term 'april showers' - we're used to varied weather with bursts of sunlight in April. We've had a remarkably clear month. I'm not about to conclude it's down to air travel, however.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #1033 on: April 29, 2020, 04:06:53 pm »

There's a reason for the term 'april showers' - we're used to varied weather with bursts of sunlight in April. We've had a remarkably clear month. I'm not about to conclude it's down to air travel, however.

We had the same phenomenon when that Islandic volcano with the unspeakable name erupted a couple of years ago and completely stopped air traffic all around Europe. The most boring sunsets I've ever seen.

Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1034 on: April 29, 2020, 04:11:03 pm »
There's a reason for the term 'april showers'

It depends what kind of websites you are visiting.   :-DD
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1035 on: April 29, 2020, 04:13:26 pm »
Nonsense. "April showers" are named after the yearly month we shower.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1036 on: April 29, 2020, 04:29:47 pm »
Nonsense. "April showers" are named after the yearly month we shower.
No. Its the month when we don't need to shower, because the rain does an adequate job.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1037 on: April 29, 2020, 04:31:19 pm »
No. Its the month when we don't need to shower, because the rain does an adequate job.
As if people would shower 11 months of the year. Imagine the decadence!

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1038 on: April 29, 2020, 04:44:00 pm »
People are decadent these days. They even expect their showers to be heated.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1039 on: April 29, 2020, 08:15:08 pm »

not showering ought to help with social distancing

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1040 on: April 29, 2020, 08:41:54 pm »
not showering ought to help with social distancing
Lazy people just buy a spray can with sweat stench.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #1041 on: April 29, 2020, 10:22:57 pm »
I work at a large tech company as a software validation engineer and have the luxury of working from home. However, I'm starting to miss my co-workers after being stuck at home for almost two months and counting!

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1042 on: April 30, 2020, 12:51:35 am »
With all this freaking out on masks and shopping trolley handle dangers  :scared: :scared:

has anyone discussed Corona embedded flatulence yet?

you know the thing >  f**ts  (hint: not 'facts')

Seriously, YES seriously! when people release internal cesspool corkers they can no longer restrain without pain, in a public place,
it's got better distance and knockdown potential than anything escaping the sides of 'ER Ward wannabee' $2 Shop masks

Come on, think about it, so much for the 'experts' and their 'statistics' overlooking this potential corona-geddon kickstarter

it appears they're earning their paychecks either doing a halfassed job of it or full of shyte and not qualified at all  ::)

Sweat and BO/body odors carry well too as they woft over, no one is touching on that topic either

fwiw I looked up 'april showers'    www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=April%20Shower
and will stick with warm H20 and soap during April and beyond, thank you,
YMMV
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 12:57:17 am by Electro Detective »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1043 on: April 30, 2020, 01:09:49 am »
fwiw I looked up 'april showers'    www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=April%20Shower
and will stick with warm H20 and soap during April and beyond, thank you,
YMMV

:-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1044 on: April 30, 2020, 05:22:14 am »
I work at a large tech company as a software validation engineer and have the luxury of working from home. However, I'm starting to miss my co-workers after being stuck at home for almost two months and counting!

We've been doing some virtual happy hour events with our teams, hop on a video chat, have a beer and talk to each other, it's not quite the same as hanging out face to face but it has the advantage that I can wear comfy pajama pants and my colleagues are none the wiser.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1045 on: April 30, 2020, 06:33:38 am »
And government and businesses are slowly losing the ability to capitalise on people's fear, all this stuff isn't going to last too much longer, people's patience is already starting to wear thin.

Maybe. I mean, you're right that people are getting restless and if it all blew over right now we'd be back to where we were pretty soon. But that assumes it will blow over. Suppose we all start going back to work and it blows up again, like it's doing in Singapore

That's the 2nd time someone here has claimed it's flaring back up in places that have eased lockdowns. Do you have data for that? Because it looks like that's not the case, daily case totals have not increased.
Just saw this picture in the news:

According to the article the lockdown was released on the 19th of March and 2 weeks later infections started to rise at a faster pace than before.

Just looking at a country as a whole is not a good idea. Even in small countries (like the Netherlands) the number of infections vary wildly between areas so the epidemic flaring up in one area can easely get lost in the noise of the country's total.

Generic disclaimer: you have to be very careful with trying to interpret Corona numbers yourself; it is easy to get to the wrong conclusions.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:41:35 am by nctnico »

The following users thanked this post: Someone, Jacon, bd139, paulca

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1046 on: April 30, 2020, 08:48:18 am »

We do a morning video call at 09:15 everyday.  It's completely informal, not project specific, just our wider team.  It can help you stay feeling like you are in the loop.  Some mornings it's a good laugh.  Funny stories, banter, anecdotes, Netflix recommendations etc.  Then a basic management "state of play update", basically company and project news which takes about 2 minutes.

If you don't have something like this already, throw some initiative at it and either set it up yourself or propose it.

Also, opening a group IM chat every morning with everyone in your team is always a good way to stay connected and team work.

I have basically been working remotely for the last 3 or 4 years as I have been working in one or more Belfast offices on a computer in London for an American company.  If you include split region teams, it's more like the last 8 years.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:53:10 am by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1047 on: April 30, 2020, 11:57:53 am »
Just saw this picture in the news:
(Attachment Link)

According to the article the lockdown was released on the 19th of March and 2 weeks later infections started to rise at a faster pace than before.

Just looking at a country as a whole is not a good idea. Even in small countries (like the Netherlands) the number of infections vary wildly between areas so the epidemic flaring up in one area can easely get lost in the noise of the country's total.
Very true. Look at New York compared to the USA. Hokkaido, being an island, has a certain amount of insularity from the rest of Japan. Its more rural (think of the famous Hokkaido cattle industry), which you might think would give them natural social distancing. I wonder of that second wave of covid-19 cases is actually concentrated in higher population places like Sapporo?
Generic disclaimer: you have to be very careful with trying to interpret Corona numbers yourself; it is easy to get to the wrong conclusions.
You need to have fairly detailed local knowledge to make much sense of any of the available data. It tends to look puzzling when its about somewhere you don't know well. This is especially true when you don't know about some of the crazy recommendations people have been given by local short sighted politicians. When its about somewhere you do know well its easier to see a bunch of plausible reasons for the data.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1048 on: May 01, 2020, 12:57:28 am »
I'll be following the state of Georgia with interest, they've been the most aggressive at relaxing the restrictions recently and I think it will be a good indication of the result of doing so. I hope it all works out for the best and other states can follow however I am concerned that loosening up too early will result in a second wave and result in a second wave of lockdowns considerably more painful than just doing it all in one go.

The UW has recently developed what is apparently a fairly reliable antibody test which is now available to the public. I'm considering getting checked to find out if what I had a while back was a mild case of Covid or something else. I've now had several coworkers with confirmed Covid infections though none that I've been in proximity to in months and so far none with serious complications. One said he felt horrible for a week and a half and still isn't 100% back to normal but I'm pretty sure he'll be ok.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1049 on: May 01, 2020, 01:05:08 am »
find out if what I had a while back was a mild case of Covid or something else.

Suppose it turns out you did have it. Would you be going back to work (although you don't normally, I think, so rephrase that to, may, hanging out down the pub)? I don't think there is confirmation yet that having it confers future immunity, so there is still a small chance you could catch it and/or pass it on again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf