Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 234684 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #950 on: April 27, 2020, 01:26:08 pm »
Yet another point - by the time someone would be tested infected, they may already have been for a little while, without anyone being able to know.

That's the entire point about this thing. You could have been spreading it for up to two weeks before you got symptoms, tested, and then alerted(panic) everyone though the app.
The infected person almost certainly potentially spread it more by touching stuff than just being near people.
Heck, many people get triggered and have breakdowns because they saw a tweet that offended them, imagine what will happen to these poor souls if they are alerted they have came into contact with someone positive...

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #951 on: April 27, 2020, 01:38:01 pm »
Heck, many people get triggered and have breakdowns because they saw a tweet that offended them, imagine what will happen to these poor souls if they are alerted they have came into contact with someone positive...

They get an unceremonious slap in the face by reality and there is no-one to bitch to about it?
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #952 on: April 27, 2020, 01:47:23 pm »

Perhaps these kinds of apps are best seen in the same light as security theater?   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

One of the big problems once the pandemic cools off will be to get people to feel comfortable about interacting with the world again,  just like people have to be made comfortable to use planes again after a major terrorist incident.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #953 on: April 27, 2020, 01:53:33 pm »
Yet another point - by the time someone would be tested infected, they may already have been for a little while, without anyone being able to know.

That's the entire point about this thing. You could have been spreading it for up to two weeks before you got symptoms, tested, and then alerted(panic) everyone though the app.
The infected person almost certainly potentially spread it more by touching stuff than just being near people.

The jury is still out on that one... Person-to-person transmission still seems the predominant and most likely source of infections.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1, paulca

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #954 on: April 27, 2020, 01:59:47 pm »
There were a number of things that changed regarding boarding planes after that, and that are here to stay.

That's a good point. Nowadays we are limited to 100ml of liquid (is it? Been a while since I flew) and check-in 2 hours before boarding. The cynic in me says the airports love this since it boosts sales of drinks gate-side, and the extra hours of waiting has to be worth a lot of coffee and shop browsing. Indeed, you're forced to walk the gauntlet of a shopping mall in many airports to get from outside to your gate.

I would be suspicious that any measure brought in now that can be monetized is likely to stick around long after the current pandemic 'just to be safe'.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #955 on: April 27, 2020, 02:20:16 pm »

Exactly.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #956 on: April 27, 2020, 02:21:27 pm »
There were a number of things that changed regarding boarding planes after that, and that are here to stay.

That's a good point. Nowadays we are limited to 100ml of liquid (is it? Been a while since I flew) and check-in 2 hours before boarding. The cynic in me says the airports love this since it boosts sales of drinks gate-side, and the extra hours of waiting has to be worth a lot of coffee and shop browsing. Indeed, you're forced to walk the gauntlet of a shopping mall in many airports to get from outside to your gate.

I would be suspicious that any measure brought in now that can be monetized is likely to stick around long after the current pandemic 'just to be safe'.

Yup.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #957 on: April 27, 2020, 03:28:10 pm »
So it seems the UK government thinks it will choose what people actually install.

They want the full centralized contact matching service.  I'm probably going to say, no to this one.  I've worked in big data.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52441428

The risk here is that a lot of people will reject this, then some people will install and begin using Google's offering instead, dividing the data and watering down it's effectiveness.
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #958 on: April 27, 2020, 03:35:31 pm »
So it seems the UK government thinks it will choose what people actually install.

They want the full centralized contact matching service.  I'm probably going to say, no to this one.  I've worked in big data.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52441428

The risk here is that a lot of people will reject this, then some people will install and begin using Google's offering instead, dividing the data and watering down it's effectiveness.
Oh, great. So we have to decide which scum bags we distrust the least.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #959 on: April 27, 2020, 04:18:42 pm »
LOL UK gov can get to fuck. I hope Apple bans their app  :-DD

“ Experts from GCHQ's National Cyber Security Centre have aided the effort “

Translated. Using a previously unreported iOS vulnerability....

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #960 on: April 27, 2020, 04:44:41 pm »
Glad i no longer use or own any type of mobile phone.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #961 on: April 27, 2020, 05:28:56 pm »
Same here: zero chance that's going to be installed on anything I access, or my partner's kit.

The benefit to the NHS is having centralised data in order to do Big Numbers analysis of spread shouldn't be underestimated, but there is no trust there - they've already sold medical data to Google without a by-your-leave and despite many people explicitly opting out several times. And the "give notifications to people who are most at risk of having got infected, and not to people who are much lower risk" should kill it stone dead - who decides which participant is worthy or being notified?

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #963 on: April 27, 2020, 06:24:18 pm »
It's interesting to see that despite this crisis showing the limits and risks of our overly globalized world, some people still want more of that as a solution.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #964 on: April 27, 2020, 06:27:24 pm »
It's interesting to see that despite this crisis showing the limits and risks of our overly globalized world, some people still want more of that as a solution.

Globalised capitalism != global cooperation.  It's more global exploitation.  They even use that word.

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #965 on: April 27, 2020, 06:39:01 pm »
First of all this isn't the first pandemic ever so there is no real relation between the current crisis and a globalized world. Quite the opposite; because sharing information is much easier nowadays there is much more details on how the pandemic spreads before it hits.

The longer I think about the Corona apps the more I'm convinced Google & Apple should come up with something. These companies have experience dealing with the various privacy laws and the technical implications. Governments usually suck at IT solutions and suffer from the not-invented-here-syndrom too; let the governments just handle the legal side of it. At least in the EU there is a good privacy protection framework in place already. Also it would be good when Corona apps work universally so they can be used across borders as well.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:42:57 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #966 on: April 27, 2020, 06:45:03 pm »
It would be a bit shit to open up and let Google/Apple run the show and then fine them later for 5 Billion for a technicality GDPR violation. 

I think we should campaign strongly for a fully open sourced solution regardless of where it comes from.

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #967 on: April 27, 2020, 06:48:25 pm »
I think we should just put the stupid idea where it belongs.

Just because we can do something doesn’t mean we should. Smartphone apps are a shitty hammer for most problems.

Edit: What really happened was:

1. Sick people
2. Can we contact trace?
3. Someone public sector saw opportunity to leverage it for citizen tracking data
4. Private sector said no because they didn’t want to be responsible for the shit show.
5. Peer pressure
6. Tech companies provide a solution which is balanced
7. Public sector throws shit around and calls Murdoch.
8. Google and Apple are cancer suddenly
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:50:56 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, paulca

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #968 on: April 27, 2020, 06:49:54 pm »
I think we should just put the stupid idea where it belongs.

Just because we can doesn’t mean we should. Smartphone apps are a shitty hammer for most problems.

Agreed.

And, as I said above, we are just trying to mimick a solution that's now believed to have worked for others, but without getting the whole picture, including WHY it worked (as part of a bigger solution.)
Meanwhile, it just looks like the usual political stuff. Let's just do something so we can sell people we did something, and move on.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #969 on: April 27, 2020, 06:53:24 pm »
So why be told what to do.  Why not grass roots it?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #970 on: April 27, 2020, 06:57:25 pm »
I think we should campaign strongly for a fully open sourced solution regardless of where it comes from.
That seems to be the general idea anyway.

And people who are worried about governments sharing information: this already happens on a large scale. There are many treaties in place for this already. A Corona app is not going to add any new ability for governments.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #971 on: April 27, 2020, 07:06:42 pm »
campaign strongly for a fully open sourced solution

The issues surrounding this have nothing to do with the source, open or closed. Being open source yet still having a central repository is still no-go. Closed source with no central would be OK if you didn't distrust the author.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #972 on: April 27, 2020, 07:44:07 pm »
Open source doesn't make one shit of a difference for stuff deployed to a closed binary only app store. There's no guarantee that what is in the source repo wasn't patched before it got to the app store and you can't use reproducible builds in a closed source app store either AFAIK as the signing key would have to be disclosed.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #973 on: April 27, 2020, 08:03:16 pm »
Open source doesn't make one shit of a difference for stuff deployed to a closed binary only app store. There's no guarantee that what is in the source repo wasn't patched before it got to the app store and you can't use reproducible builds in a closed source app store either AFAIK as the signing key would have to be disclosed.
Not true. You can do a compare between a build from an open source repository and the binary provided in the app-store. These have to be identical.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #974 on: April 27, 2020, 08:14:37 pm »
In theory. It's not that easy though.

The problem is mostly however that the binaries are signed at Apple's end so you can't side load them. To do that you require access to the signing key that apple hold. You don't have access to that signing key so you can't actually determine if what arrived at the app store and what is downloaded from the app store are the same build because of the nature of the distribution of keys in the keyspace.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf