Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 234741 times)

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #800 on: April 23, 2020, 09:57:53 pm »
Just had a conference call with the head of delivery.  He said,

"Home working is here to stay, even after this.  Obviously it was always an option, but now we have proved to our clients we are fully operational with the building closed I don't see why we can't provide it as an option for all employees going forward."

I've been working from home 2-3 days a week for as long as I've been with this employer, now I'm home fulltime. Eventually I'd like to get back to going into the office a couple days a week but I dread ever having to go in every weekday. I'm really hoping that one positive thing to come of this whole mess is a lot more companies finally realizing that there's no reason to require everyone to be in the office every day, many people can work productively from home or wherever and with the tools we have available these days it's easier than ever. Commuting every single day is a waste of time. Working from home I work more hours on average yet feel less tired from it. Each day that I'm home is ~2 hours I don't spend killing time on a bus.

Same here. I've been working home 3/5 for a whole while already, now it's 5/5 - we keep in touch through a chat and Jitsi.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #801 on: April 23, 2020, 11:05:48 pm »
Yep.
One thing to be careful about though is keeping a clear distance between work and private life, which is much harder to do when you work at home.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #802 on: April 23, 2020, 11:50:22 pm »
Other Impacts of Coronavirus:

Has Sexual Distancing come into force yet?

What are the recommended distances, procedures, protections,

and pre and post wash routines?  hopefully a very watered down IPA mix  :o 

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #803 on: April 23, 2020, 11:56:45 pm »

What are the recommended distances, procedures,

Sexual "distancing" is nothing new, it does exist ever since AIDS has been known to be a pandemic. (And other STDs of course, but when you think about it, most people didn't really care about STDs in general before AIDS, except those that got them of course.)

Of course Covid-19 adds to the mix that now you can get infected if you are closer than 1 or 2 meters. People may now be required to wear some kind of latex masks to kiss unless they have both been properly tested not infected. Fun stuff.

But just like with the advent of AIDS, it's likely that there will be an after Covid-19, and people may suddenly care about seasonal flu and even just colds, when most of them really didn't care much before that. Just a random thought. I know you were just kind of trolling.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:02:55 am by SiliconWizard »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #804 on: April 24, 2020, 12:09:57 am »
My wife send me a highly inappropriate video on that so I won't post it here (no, not of herself but something someone forwarded to her).  8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:12:00 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #805 on: April 24, 2020, 12:43:15 am »

What are the recommended distances, procedures,

Sexual "distancing" is nothing new, it does exist ever since AIDS has been known to be a pandemic. (And other STDs of course, but when you think about it, most people didn't really care about STDs in general before AIDS, except those that got them of course.)

Of course Covid-19 adds to the mix that now you can get infected if you are closer than 1 or 2 meters. People may now be required to wear some kind of latex masks to kiss unless they have both been properly tested not infected. Fun stuff.

But just like with the advent of AIDS, it's likely that there will be an after Covid-19, and people may suddenly care about seasonal flu and even just colds, when most of them really didn't care much before that. Just a random thought. I know you were just kind of trolling.

Apples and Weeds comparing real deal AIDS with the current corona panic fest.

i.e. no population self detention and forthcoming economic downturn/Depression was deployed to battle and control AIDS

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #806 on: April 24, 2020, 04:39:59 am »

What are the recommended distances, procedures, protections,

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-sex-guidance.pdf

Don't worry, New York City has you covered!

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #807 on: April 24, 2020, 05:33:42 am »

i.e. no population self detention and forthcoming economic downturn/Depression was deployed to battle and control AIDS

There was no reason to, you can't get AIDS from being in close proximity to infected people. If abstaining from casual sex was enough to prevent the spread of Covid we wouldn't have to take drastic measures to prevent that either.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #808 on: April 24, 2020, 09:19:06 am »
I'm quite sure we'll be seeing a large baby-boom by the end of this year.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #809 on: April 24, 2020, 09:37:38 am »
I'm quite sure we'll be seeing a large baby-boom by the end of this year.

And a higher than normal divorce rate as well.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #810 on: April 24, 2020, 09:54:33 am »
Today I walked up to the local shopping complex and one thing I noticed was almost every store has had acrylic shields installed around each cashiers station. I saw these shields installed at the local Aldi a few weeks ago and now they are everywhere. Installing these barriers would be a good little business to be in about now and probably some good money in it as well.       

• Super Contributor
« Reply #811 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:01 am »
yeah, nice little earner for the acrylic producing mob  :clap:

and also an indicator that this corona BS is definately going to drag out for months

if not years
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:01:38 am by Electro Detective »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #812 on: April 24, 2020, 10:10:27 am »
Today I walked up to the local shopping complex and one thing I noticed was almost every store has had acrylic shields installed around each cashiers station. I saw these shields installed at the local Aldi a few weeks ago and now they are everywhere. Installing these barriers would be a good little business to be in about now and probably some good money in it as well.     

I noticed the Australia post ones are just stuck down with doubled sided tape brackets. So capital investment would be low. Just a laser cutter, a plastic bender, and a crap ton of sticky brackets.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #813 on: April 24, 2020, 10:15:15 am »

There was no reason to, you can't get AIDS from being in close proximity to infected people. If abstaining from casual sex was enough to prevent the spread of Covid we wouldn't have to take drastic measures to prevent that either.

Yea, but when the AIDS thing was all the rage,  wondered if the 'authorities' just didn't want people to know about the possibility? of problems with Mosquitoes piercing/sucking blood, moving from person to person, could result in a transmission! (Likewise with other bugs today)  ???

I also wondered about infected (from parents) children in Kindergarten wet sucking/chewing on pencils etc, before the same item gets picked up and put in the mouth of other children then??  (Sharing fluids). We need to be more vigilant, these days...  :(
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #814 on: April 24, 2020, 10:18:49 am »

I noticed the Australia post ones are just stuck down with doubled sided tape brackets. So capital investment would be low. Just a laser cutter, a plastic bender, and a crap ton of sticky brackets.

Our supermarkets won't pack your bags for you, but will/have-to hand SCAN your selections first!
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #815 on: April 24, 2020, 10:30:32 am »
Yeah, pretty straight forward job really and probably the first time somebody would be legally allowed to rob retail outlets with nothing more than a screw gun. Or as you said, stick 'em up.   8)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #816 on: April 24, 2020, 10:33:38 am »
The combo gas station/convenience store next to the interstate has hung an entire sheet of clear acrylic from the ceiling just above the counter. They also put some stuff in front of the counter to keep you from getting too close.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #817 on: April 24, 2020, 10:50:04 am »
A lot of good those acrylics will do once they soon get all filthed up and not so see-through

not to mention staff may get electrostatically zapped if running about and charged up  :o 

bored sugar pumped kids and teenage idiots pressing their fingers, faces and tongues on it

did I mention even more unnecessary landfill content from these in the future?  :--

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #818 on: April 24, 2020, 12:47:04 pm »

Obviously.

But if I got it right, Electro Detective seems to be thinking that Covid-19 is just a scam or something. So I don't think discussing the drastic measures that have been taken is going to lead to anything fruitful anyway.

Whereas there are IMO some dark spots in the way the Covid-19 has been handled, I'm wondering what exactly is ED's point. Politicians may be lying, but I don't think thousands of hospitals worldwide would have any interest in lying as well. Or as I said, maybe he's just trolling. Who knows.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #819 on: April 24, 2020, 12:50:03 pm »

The acrylic shields have been installed over here too in most shops.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #820 on: April 24, 2020, 12:52:37 pm »
Yup. These shields popped up here quickly as well. Some shops have more or less boxed the cashiers in which prompts me to ask the cashier whether they like their aquarium.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #821 on: April 24, 2020, 01:36:55 pm »
Yup. These shields popped up here quickly as well. Some shops have more or less boxed the cashiers in which prompts me to ask the cashier whether they like their aquarium.

They probably feel safer this way. Note that those shields are nothing new - they had been already there in some banks, post offices, etc, for a long time (probably more for physical safety reasons than virus spreading).

Wearing a mask all day is much more annoying (IMO) than being behind an acrylic shield. I hate masks. But in many shops currently, cashiers have both...

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #822 on: April 24, 2020, 01:43:42 pm »
They probably feel safer this way. Note that those shields are nothing new - they had been already there in some banks, post offices, etc, for a long time (probably more for physical safety reasons than virus spreading).

Not in Australia, they were rare before this.
There was this big to-do maybe 20+ years ago now about Taxi's in Sydney (and Australia wide?) installing these perspex protective shields around the driver, I think by government mandate after some assault or something. Everyone decried it as "un-Australian", and I'm not sure how long they lasted but I haven't seen one in donkey's years.
These shields will go the same way by the end of the year.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #823 on: April 24, 2020, 02:18:21 pm »

Not in Australia, they were rare before this.
There was this big to-do maybe 20+ years ago now about Taxi's in Sydney (and Australia wide?) installing these perspex protective shields around the driver, I think by government mandate after some assault or something. Everyone decried it as "un-Australian", and I'm not sure how long they lasted but I haven't seen one in donkey's years.
These shields will go the same way by the end of the year.
Ofcourse. Over here most of the shields are clearly temporary installations. However I think it will be later than the end of the year though before the shields can go. It is wise to assume we'll be dealing with the Corona virus for another 12 months.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #824 on: April 24, 2020, 08:06:57 pm »
Yea, but when the AIDS thing was all the rage,  wondered if the 'authorities' just didn't want people to know about the possibility? of problems with Mosquitoes piercing/sucking blood, moving from person to person, could result in a transmission! (Likewise with other bugs today)  ???

I also wondered about infected (from parents) children in Kindergarten wet sucking/chewing on pencils etc, before the same item gets picked up and put in the mouth of other children then??  (Sharing fluids). We need to be more vigilant, these days...  :(

HIV isn't transmitted by mosquitoes and it isn't transmitted by saliva. It has to be direct contact between blood or mucus membranes. You can't catch it by sharing a glass or chewing on a pencil, it's extremely rare for it to be transmitted by anything other than sexual contact.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf