Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228610 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #750 on: April 20, 2020, 11:25:06 pm »
Australian schools will be back on a staggered roster, one day a week, different grades on different days.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-21/coronavirus-return-to-nsw-school-plan-revealed/12166526

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #751 on: April 20, 2020, 11:36:09 pm »
I didn't see anything like this on the curve for Japan's number of cases? If anything, the rise seems to be slowing down a little. What did I miss?
Well it's straight line on the log graph, but they "only" have 10k cases and only 260 deaths.  Of course there is always question over the data.
EDIT:  Looking at it another way, at the end of March they had like 2k cases.  Now mid april they have 10k
<shurg>

You specifically said "Japan are apparently experiencing a second wave after relaxing lock down."
That doesn't appear to be backed up by the data, if anything, daily cases are down.
For the umpteenth time: number of cases means sh*t because they rely on testing. Testing is erratic at best due to material shortage and test protocols. Based on anti-bodies in donated blood about 3% of the people over 18 in the NL has been infected with Covid19 which in absolute numbers come down to 500k people. The offical number of cases showed somewhere around 20k at the time the 'sample' was taken.

So far deaths are the best indication (and even those can be off by double digit percentages and there is a lag between getting infected and dying). Looking at this data https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Japan it seems Johns Hopkins' data is wrong for Japan.

Australian schools will be back on a staggered roster, one day a week, different grades on different days.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-21/coronavirus-return-to-nsw-school-plan-revealed/12166526
I expect the same is about to happen here. Many shops have been converted and are opened or about to open. Maybe gyms will open soon as well (I hope that includes the swimming pools too). In case of gyms I read that they won't allow people to shower and change though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:42:58 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #752 on: April 21, 2020, 12:00:25 am »

here today all the kids up to fifth grade started back in school etc. like normal. Some types of stores that had been forced to close were
also allowed to open again, so you can now again get a haircut, a tattoo, a massage, a beauty treatment, among other things.
Maybe it is just me but neither of those things seem very critical or easy to do while keeping a distance

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #753 on: April 21, 2020, 12:02:57 am »

One day a week... sounds weird.

Over here, they should reopen on the 11th of May as well, although the conditions have not been made clear yet.

It's likely that the partial end of confinement will be associated with measures such as mandatory wearing of masks, at least in some situations like in public transport, etc. Maybe for school teachers as well.
(Oh yeah didn't they claim masks were useless? ;D )

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:07:56 am by SiliconWizard »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #754 on: April 21, 2020, 12:10:29 am »
here today all the kids up to fifth grade started back in school etc. like normal. Some types of stores that had been forced to close were
also allowed to open again, so you can now again get a haircut, a tattoo, a massage, a beauty treatment, among other things.
Maybe it is just me but neither of those things seem very critical or easy to do while keeping a distance
The other day I had a talk with someone who does dental work. They remoddeled the waiting room (take chairs out), increased the amount of ventilation and manage the patients more strictly (no people coming along). Since the work they are doing already involves taking measures against spreading viral infections like hepatitis, HIV, etc the only thing they added as an extra protection is a full face mask.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #755 on: April 21, 2020, 12:27:56 am »
The other day I had a talk with someone who does dental work. They remoddeled the waiting room (take chairs out), increased the amount of ventilation and manage the patients more strictly (no people coming along). Since the work they are doing already involves taking measures against spreading viral infections like hepatitis, HIV, etc the only thing they added as an extra protection is a full face mask.

things like hepatitis, HIV spread in a very different way

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #756 on: April 21, 2020, 12:32:15 am »
One day a week... sounds weird.

I guess the idea is to spread the kids out around the school and also at the congested pick up and drop off point. e.g. Likely something like Years 1/6/7, 2/8, 3/9, 4/10, 5/11/12 or some such mix, or whatever mix works for each school. They are leaving it up the school to implement. But legally I don't think there is anything stopping any school from opening up fully, especially private ones. Technically the schools have not been closed here, they have just advised parents who can keep their kids at home to do so.
But ultimately it comes down to the political optics of trying to appease as many groups of people as possible.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:36:20 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #757 on: April 21, 2020, 12:45:38 am »
You specifically said "Japan are apparently experiencing a second wave after relaxing lock down."
That doesn't appear to be backed up by the data, if anything, daily cases are down.
For the umpteenth time: number of cases means sh*t because they rely on testing. Testing is erratic at best due to material shortage and test protocols. Based on anti-bodies in donated blood about 3% of the people over 18 in the NL has been infected with Covid19 which in absolute numbers come down to 500k people. The offical number of cases showed somewhere around 20k at the time the 'sample' was taken.

Do you have evidence that Japan has slowed down testing?
The data says they have not:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1100135/japan-number-of-conducted-coronavirus-examinations-by-type-of-patients/

Therefore, with testing rates not dropping and with daily cases also dropping, there seems to be zero evidence that "Japan are apparently experiencing a second wave after relaxing lock down."

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, SiliconWizard

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #758 on: April 21, 2020, 12:48:17 am »
Here a reporter asked our president about liability issues pertaining to businesses re-opening in our latest covid briefing. I hope this doesn't go a place that matters. Opening 1 day a week is so odd though. Is it basically going to be come in review your work and pick up more work for the week? Can't that be done remotely?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #759 on: April 21, 2020, 12:52:25 am »
Therefore, with testing rates not dropping and with daily cases also dropping, there seems to be zero evidence that "Japan are apparently experiencing a second wave after relaxing lock down."

Here is Australia's current new cases vs testing. IMO this is the best and most useful way to determine what's actually happening and to base decisions on.
And this is why Australia is now starting to open things back up (beaches now open again to "exercisers" for example, plus the new decision today on schools).
When you have declining (esp from the peak) of daily cases, even if remains steady at under 50 cases per day, they were forced to act on partial re-openings.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:56:23 am by EEVblog »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #760 on: April 21, 2020, 12:55:31 am »
[...] Do you have evidence [...]

Evidence??  That sounds a lot like hard work, in the Internet age!   ::)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #761 on: April 21, 2020, 01:35:00 am »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #762 on: April 21, 2020, 04:00:33 am »
Some people really don't have money and get upset when they're not allowed to make some. Look at it as early lockdown easing and we'll get some data on how it affects things.

That's totally understandable.

Gathering thousands of people into one physical place for a protest and not wearing any sort of protection is not, that's just stupid. Especially since this kind of behavior could directly lead to lockdowns being extended. If people had followed directions from the start we'd be back open by now.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, not1xor1, Jacon

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #763 on: April 21, 2020, 04:10:27 am »

That video claims that 40% of the workforce is still out there, that's huge. So much for population "lockdown".

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #764 on: April 21, 2020, 04:17:23 am »
That video claims that 40% of the workforce is still out there, that's huge. So much for population "lockdown".

That sounds about right based on what I've seen based on freeway traffic and other things.

That's still 60% of the population that is not out there spreading things around which is substantial, and the numbers suggest it has been effective. Washington state where I live was the initial epicenter of the US infection but we locked down early and the numbers flatlined. Since then we've watched other states wait too late until numbers explode when it's too late to slow down.

You can't lock down 100%, people need food, medical care, medicine, supplies, delivery, infrastructure, etc. There's a complex supply line behind our most basic necessities, it doesn't run itself.

Online Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #765 on: April 21, 2020, 04:52:13 am »

I don't have any official figures for NZ. I will try to find some and edit this post.
However, since the last week of March (Our Level 4 lockdown), petrol stations have dropped fuel take by 80%.
This would suggest that roughly 20% of people in NZ are still at work.

That all changes on Tuesday as we loosen the grip a bit - Level 3 - still with lots of rules.
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #766 on: April 21, 2020, 09:40:42 am »

Do you have evidence that Japan has slowed down testing?
I never claimed that. I did however provide data which contradicts the data from Johns Hopkins site (which showed the number of cases in Japan is declining where another source showed an entirely different picture). But still testing also depends on the test protocol (who gets tested). Japan has a relative low number of deaths and cases so selecting a pool of people which aren't infected can have a huge impact on the tested / versus cases ratio. In the end you have to look at the statistical relevance of the numbers (including taking the time delay between infection and developing sympthoms into account) before jumping to any conclusions. Deciding on whether it is safe or not to lift some restricting is work for experts.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:46:23 am by nctnico »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #767 on: April 21, 2020, 11:51:55 am »
They claim road traffic in the UK is at around 40% of its normal level, yet the roads seem very quiet. A 60% reduction changes things a lot. I guess 40% of jobs are actually providing the essentials, like food, logistics, utilities, and medical care.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #768 on: April 21, 2020, 11:56:42 am »
Remember that 40% of the workforce is not 40% of the drivers. There are a significant number of non-working (in the employment sense) spouses, driving-age teenagers and students, and retired people that are also on the road during normal times.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #769 on: April 21, 2020, 12:09:22 pm »
They claim road traffic in the UK is at around 40% of its normal level, yet the roads seem very quiet. A 60% reduction changes things a lot. I guess 40% of jobs are actually providing the essentials, like food, logistics, utilities, and medical care.

I wonder where they are measuring this?? - certainly round here(Suffolk) it is alot more than 60% reduction.  I was in London on Saturday (picking up daughter from student halls) - no way was it a 60% reduction, much more like 80%+
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #770 on: April 21, 2020, 12:57:14 pm »
Some people really don't have money and get upset when they're not allowed to make some. Look at it as early lockdown easing and we'll get some data on how it affects things.

That's totally understandable.

Gathering thousands of people into one physical place for a protest and not wearing any sort of protection is not, that's just stupid. Especially since this kind of behavior could directly lead to lockdowns being extended. If people had followed directions from the start we'd be back open by now.

In 08/04/2020 , we made a  virtual rally by  youtube  versus the goverment .  I believe that were  almost half million of views .

Offline PwrElectronics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #771 on: April 21, 2020, 07:03:55 pm »
My employer has been on a work at home as much as you can policy since March 18.  Since then, I have maybe been "in" about 1/2 the time.  I have a home lab and have been working on one project exclusively there.  The other project requires going "in" to use the lab gear there.  Skype meetings seem to be working OK.  I went "in" this past weekend to get something from the mail room that came in.  Otherwise I have not been in for a week.  Most coworkers (including my supervisor) I have not seen for over a month.

Today, a memo went out that by this monday (April 27) they will be implementing a fever check at the door for anyone coming in.  Also, we will be required to wear face shields most of the time unless working in a isolated spot.  This will mostly apply to walking the halls or being in the lab unless by yourself.  The production area and lab techs started on this policy last week but now extending to office staff (I think it took more time to get enough PPE).

This does seem a bit over the top in this area given not all that many cases locally but I expect this is a corporate wide policy and we are not the only location by far.

Business was slowing down the past few months even before this all started.  I know my immediate management is trying to come up with some filler work if needed to keep everyone busy.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #772 on: April 21, 2020, 08:21:53 pm »
In the UK we call them Minimum Wage Heros. But they will still be first to lose their jobs when the economy tanks.

I asked our key-worker delivery man where his maximum wage supervisor was? His response, all management are working from home over Skype. Which is not such a good thing as his team leader is trapped in self-isolation with a new baby, a kid with ADHD, no garden and crap broadband.

I'm just looking up every day at our freakish clear blue sky. From the garden. This is not normal for England.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #773 on: April 21, 2020, 08:38:15 pm »
I'm just looking up every day at our freakish clear blue sky. From the garden. This is not normal for England.

Pollution levels are way down nearly everywhere with traffic and industry shut down. That may have something to do with it. Nice as that is, it won't last once things start up again.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #774 on: April 22, 2020, 01:47:16 am »
This does seem a bit over the top in this area given not all that many cases locally but I expect this is a corporate wide policy and we are not the only location by far.

Normally I'd agree, but having watched the cycle multiple times now in various areas I'm pretty convinced that it's reasonable. This thing spreads so quietly and so easily and has such a long incubation time that by the time you realize anything is wrong the shit really hits the fan and loads of people end up sick. It doesn't work to just keep doing things as usual until you start having a worrying number of sick people, by then it's too late and huge numbers have already been exposed.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, SilverSolder

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf