Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228717 times)

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #475 on: April 07, 2020, 09:44:16 pm »
Advanced the pharmacy trip to Costco to today, since neighbor stopped by and begged for a ride to/from there (her car is broken). Went during normal hours, line was only about 10 minutes long to get in. The fact it was raining might have been a factor in that. Still flow-control into the store, so wasn't crowded and no lines at checkout. All the paper products were still in stock, but still no spaghetti. They did have the Kirkland 3-pack of orange juice back in stock -- it was missing the previous week.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #476 on: April 07, 2020, 09:49:01 pm »
Interesting. All our pasta is still gone as well (other than wholemeal linguine so I'm happy as I actually like that). It's all actually made in Italy here (not sure about the US) so I'm wondering if there are supply problems due to lockdown there rather than hoarders.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #477 on: April 07, 2020, 10:21:50 pm »
I haven't been out to the grocery in over a week, but the last last two trips pasta was pretty well depleted. I figure people buy it up because it keeps pretty well. No bread to be seen either. I ended up buying a bunch of flour tortillas. Been eating burritos for days... hotdog burritos, peanut butter burritos, etc.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #478 on: April 07, 2020, 10:45:48 pm »
Interesting. All our pasta is still gone as well (other than wholemeal linguine so I'm happy as I actually like that). It's all actually made in Italy here (not sure about the US) so I'm wondering if there are supply problems due to lockdown there rather than hoarders.

The last time that I went to the store was a week ago but pasta was in stock here then but not a lot of it.  I bought two boxes of the Barilla (made in Italy) pasta.  Oddly there wasn't a lot of choices for the sauces, most of the varieties were sold out but there were plenty of the less popular choices.  Hoarding is pretty common around here, it happens every time that a hurricane comes near but this is the first time that I've seen a run on TP or pasta.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #479 on: April 08, 2020, 09:16:04 am »
Still sort of rare around here. But it isn't really all that wondrous. People stay at home mostly instead of taking a dump at work.
No such luck around here.  You can go to all the supermarkets and fire a chain gun down the paper products and you won't hit anyone or anything. |O
Yes, what I meant is that _obviously_ the domestic consumption of toilet paper is higher now that people are mostly shitting at home instead of at work.

Our building still has plenty of dunny rolls every day. Although someone has been nicking them and breaking the locks on the holders because they have signs up on the door about it now. But I've never seen the ones on my floor empty.

Offline microherb

• Contributor
« Reply #480 on: April 08, 2020, 09:49:27 am »
I’ve just heard rumours that one of my work colleagues had a party at his apartment over the weekend and posted photos of the event on Instagram.

Now, what the guy does on his time off would normally be none of my concern, but he sits at a desk less than 3 meters from mine for 6-8 hours of the day.  He’s in his mid-twenties and has worked with us for a few years.  He originally started with us as backpacker from England and has now managed to get our employer to sponsor his permanent skilled worker visa to Australia.

There has been a cluster of Coronavirus cases amongst backpackers in the eastern suburbs of Sydney which is where he lives, and other backpackers are also likely to be in his circle of friends.

Over the last few weeks, I have been staying at home as much as possible to try and reduce my exposure to other people as per the government regulations.  My 17 year old daughter is off school and is also required to stay home and not have visitors, not easy for a social girl of her age.  I now feel that all that effort could be wasted if I need to be around this guy for my job.

I’m feeling very uncomfortable now about having to be in such close proximity for long periods of the day to someone who it seems is obviously flouting the social distancing rules we are supposed to be observing.  An elderly co-worker said he has already brought up the issue with the boss and was told there was nothing the company can do.

I only learnt of all this late this afternoon and the boss was not around.  I normally don’t like to make any waves but I feel I need to bring this up with the boss in the morning.  I’m expecting to be told I’m overreacting and there is nothing that can be done.  I would be interested to hear how others would handle the situation.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #481 on: April 08, 2020, 10:04:22 am »
Well, still not grasping what's going on?
fear, fear, fear, nothing happens.
Are you still on noodles and toilet paper?
No WHO? No NWO? No Event 201?
man, man, ridiculous, right?
 :-DD

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #482 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:10 am »
I would be interested to hear how others would handle the situation.

Gearing yourself up with a mask and gloves should be enough to alert others that you have concerns. The other day I told a friend to fuck off after he randomly turned up for a coffee, unfortunately some people still don't get the message even after they have been told.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #483 on: April 08, 2020, 10:16:40 am »
To be fair that's normal operating procedure prior to pandemic conditions in my world. Unexpected visitors are never welcome.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #484 on: April 08, 2020, 10:28:08 am »
I only have one rule and that is don't turn up unannounced, and during a pandemic don't turn up at all.   :rant:

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2020, 10:47:13 am »
I only learnt of all this late this afternoon and the boss was not around.  I normally don’t like to make any waves but I feel I need to bring this up with the boss in the morning.  I’m expecting to be told I’m overreacting and there is nothing that can be done.  I would be interested to hear how others would handle the situation.
In the current situation you co-worker's behaviour is unacceptable. I'd take this up with your boss. Maybe you can move your desk further away. But your boss also needs to try and talk some sense into your co-worker. As an employer your boss is responsible for a safe & healthy work environment. Which also means your boss can require people to refrain from activities which puts employees in danger.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: microherb, SiliconWizard

Offline microherb

• Contributor
« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2020, 10:53:14 am »

Sorry, I've got no idea what that is supposed to mean, I guess English is not your native language.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #487 on: April 08, 2020, 11:30:03 am »

Sorry, I've got no idea what that is supposed to mean, I guess English is not your native language.
I wasn't talking to you specifically.  ;)
The protagonists here know exactly what I mean.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #488 on: April 08, 2020, 12:47:13 pm »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: April 08, 2020, 02:00:05 pm »
To be fair that's normal operating procedure prior to pandemic conditions in my world. Unexpected visitors are never welcome.
If you are a Brit, expected visitors are only marginally welcome, even in the best of times..... unless they are bringing a large payment. That usually makes them more welcome.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #490 on: April 08, 2020, 02:01:29 pm »
I prefer a bank transfer  :-DD

@hwj-d: Fox news  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. Perhaps WHO could remove Fox network staffers and sponsors. They are a far more worrying disease.

The following users thanked this post: nrxnrx, Electro Detective

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #491 on: April 08, 2020, 02:29:29 pm »
In the current situation you co-worker's behaviour is unacceptable. I'd take this up with your boss. Maybe you can move your desk further away. But your boss also needs to try and talk some sense into your co-worker. As an employer your boss is responsible for a safe & healthy work environment. Which also means your boss can require people to refrain from activities which puts employees in danger.

Yup. And in times of confinement, offices that require people to actually be physically present must already justify this with a reasonable rationale. If the rationale is already questionable, and the employer doesn't even enforce strict rules inside the office, they are completely at fault.

The following users thanked this post: microherb

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #492 on: April 08, 2020, 03:25:09 pm »
they are completely at fault

But the question is what to do about it. It is no good in a years time being able to say to them 'told you so' when you are already dead.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #493 on: April 08, 2020, 04:17:03 pm »
snipped youtube link of Tucker

Realize that Tucker Carlson is a spin-doctor, not a real journalist anymore, if he ever was one. Not the worst one of those on the Fox network, but he spouts a lot of fake news for entertainment and/or political purposes.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #494 on: April 08, 2020, 06:24:57 pm »
I prefer a bank transfer  :-DD

@hwj-d: Fox news  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. Perhaps WHO could remove Fox network staffers and sponsors. They are a far more worrying disease.
I know what you think, and I expect nothing less from you.  :=\

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: April 08, 2020, 06:26:12 pm »
Good at least I am clear consistent and not insane then :)

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #496 on: April 08, 2020, 06:30:17 pm »
snipped youtube link of Tucker

Realize that Tucker Carlson is a spin-doctor, ...

oh, nice  :-DD
There's nothing ridiculous about that now, is there?

Wait, times change.
soon.
 :popcorn:

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #497 on: April 08, 2020, 06:46:08 pm »
Went to the local Spar, plenty of toilet paper in stock, and reasonably priced for Kwikie Mart pricing. Same for Shop Wrong, plenty of white paper, in assorted price ranges, and types of feel and style, from John Wayne to triple ply ultra fluffy. 

Out of stock both places of my required plain yoghurt, even the (shudder) low fat and fat free (WHY!) varieties. Luckily new in stock, unsweetened strawberry and cream flavour, so the DT's are held at bay. Not too bad either, will buy again. Even had the Lindt 80% in stock, but not the 90%, and if I want cocoa I will not pay them the price they want for the 99% (and it is 45g as well, in a 100g package with a massive plastic vacuum formed insert) and just use cocoa powder and cream instead to DIY.

They did have tonic water in stock, yummy, plus it keeps the Mozzies at bay. I wiped them out, all 4 bottles.

Went out to help a company with machine queries, and ran into the rozzers on the way back. Papiere bitte mein Herr, but nothing else.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #498 on: April 08, 2020, 07:54:03 pm »
This is one occasion where being an introvert is an advantage!  I spend most of the time on my own anyway, so this situation, in that respect, is no different for me!
Once a week for grocery shopping and very occasionally the odd time to run a errand, that is my sum total of venturing from the house! 
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: April 08, 2020, 08:02:40 pm »

You should leave work immediately and not return until after you talk to your boss. If your boss fails to take swift and thorough action then I would consider that as an unsafe working environment and I would walk out immediately and file a complaint with the proper work safety organization and I would not return there until the situation is corrected (if ever).  Several national governments have already made it clear that workers can not be penalized for refusing to work if their employers can't ensure SAFE working conditions during this pandemic.

If I was the guy's boss I would terminate him immediately.  He's putting everyone that he works with in jeoparty and his actions could potentially lead the collapse of that business.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:12:18 pm by Stray Electron »

The following users thanked this post: microherb

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf