Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228834 times)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #275 on: March 17, 2020, 10:45:24 pm »

It would be reassuring to know that billions are being spent on developing a vaccine!

Problem is that money only goes so far to "speed up the process."
Because of approvals and trials, it could take 18 months or more to get a vaccine. This is not your seasonal flu, where everything is already done and you just need to press start on the vaccine making machine.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #276 on: March 17, 2020, 10:49:49 pm »

It would be reassuring to know that billions are being spent on developing a vaccine!

Because of approvals and trials, it could take 18 months or more to get a vaccine. This is not your seasonal flu, where everything is already done and you just need to press start on the vaccine making machine.

With the whole world melting down, we might see a little more urgency than usual with the approvals/trials...

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #277 on: March 17, 2020, 11:07:30 pm »

With the whole world melting down, we might see a little more urgency than usual with the approvals/trials...
Its not that simple. Bad vaccine can make the already bad illness worse.
I'm quite sure they are taking all the measures possible.
If it really has 1% mortality rate, and 60-80% of the population will get it (simulation shows, Germany and UK data) then this could kill millions of people.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #278 on: March 17, 2020, 11:15:46 pm »

It is urgent, that is not in question. But the normal development time for a vaccine is 2-5 years, so even urgent development is going to take longer than people expect. This isn't a TV show after all.

Offline PeurUCam

« Reply #279 on: March 18, 2020, 01:33:36 am »
Since so many people have been deliberately scared to stay home I've noticed much less cars in heavy traffic. :)

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: March 18, 2020, 02:13:51 am »
  Not here. I went out today and just drove around and it's very nearly normal traffic conditions. It looks like a lot of people that are out of work or out of school are using this as an opportunity to go shopping or visiting or whatever.  Oh and I went by two large grocery stores and the parking lots there looked pretty full. No lines that I can see but there are many people in the stores.

If the US wants people to quarantine, it's going to have to be mandatory and enforced.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #281 on: March 18, 2020, 07:10:57 am »
Our PM came out today and said categorically that they are not going to close the schools. Barring any drastic escalation I guess, but they didn't even hint at that. The TLDR was that schools must stay open at all costs.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #282 on: March 18, 2020, 07:27:42 am »
Probably due to the knock on effect of all the parents having to stay home to look after them if they're sent home
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #283 on: March 18, 2020, 08:05:00 am »
Probably due to the knock on effect of all the parents having to stay home to look after them if they're sent home

Yes, of course, that was my first point in the first post of this thread.
And grandparent can't look after them because they are the most vulnerable group.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #284 on: March 18, 2020, 08:35:23 am »
I think that any school closure really should be a last resort as it would have a direct impact on so many others and not just the parents or other carers. I live opposite a primary school and there is a constant convey of service and supply vehicles throughout the day in addition to the cleaners every night as well. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2020, 08:57:30 am »
Well I’ve got mild symptoms (cough, sore throat etc). So I’ve taken the kids out of school as per guidelines.

Apparently they have been threatening to fine people in some areas for this.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2020, 12:14:26 pm »
Well I’ve got mild symptoms (cough, sore throat etc). So I’ve taken the kids out of school as per guidelines.

Which law have they transgressed?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2020, 12:20:29 pm »
A combination of the vague specification of an education in the Education Act 1996 and the overbearing ability for our local councils and schools to be absolute complete cuntsocks because they are run by little Hitlers.

The answer will be "see you in court, probably in about a decade"

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #288 on: March 18, 2020, 12:32:58 pm »

rant mode.

I was 14 days in home office because I was in Italy. Today is my second day at work.
My department manager (not my direct boss, the one above) forced my presence at work. He is an idiot, a big one. My direct boss keep saying "I am sorry, could do nothing about this", I am beyond pissed off, like all the other colleagues in my team.
I am washing my hands like crazy and avoid people like opposite magnet poles. I go work using my bike, forget about public transportation.

Some germans colleagues are scared of me, which is good for me and for them. They keep the safety distance from me with just a bad look of mine.

What infuriate me more is seeing people in close circles in the city and at work,  laughing like nothing is happening.
As soon I am done at work I go home as fast as I can on my bike.

More than 200 italians are dying every day, what we need more to understand this is not a joke?

I am tempted to tell my company I am sick with temperature, but fu%& I am not a dishonest guy.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:38:44 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139, rgarito

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #289 on: March 18, 2020, 12:37:25 pm »
I am washing my hands like crazy and avoid the people like opposite magnet poles.
This is where Britain is ahead of things. We avoid people under ALL circumstances.

That may seem like a joke, but its not entirely. A lot of Americans get really uncomfortable in many Asian cities, because people are content to be much closer together than most Americans are used to. These cultural differences can have a big effect in times like now. The key reason Beijing was a really big city long before anything in Europe was they had a culture of personal cleanliness, long before they understood the medical value of cleanliness.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:41:31 pm by coppice »

Offline PeurUCam

« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2020, 03:03:47 am »
  Not here. I went out today and just drove around and it's very nearly normal traffic conditions. It looks like a lot of people that are out of work or out of school are using this as an opportunity to go shopping or visiting or whatever.  Oh and I went by two large grocery stores and the parking lots there looked pretty full. No lines that I can see but there are many people in the stores.

If the US wants people to quarantine, it's going to have to be mandatory and enforced.

Stray, thank you. I did notice again today. Even during rush hours there was much less traffic. It's clearly a case of many people staying home.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2020, 03:56:04 am »
rant mode.

I was 14 days in home office because I was in Italy. Today is my second day at work.
My department manager (not my direct boss, the one above) forced my presence at work. He is an idiot, a big one. My direct boss keep saying "I am sorry, could do nothing about this", I am beyond pissed off, like all the other colleagues in my team.
I am washing my hands like crazy and avoid people like opposite magnet poles. I go work using my bike, forget about public transportation.

Some germans colleagues are scared of me, which is good for me and for them. They keep the safety distance from me with just a bad look of mine.

What infuriate me more is seeing people in close circles in the city and at work,  laughing like nothing is happening.
As soon I am done at work I go home as fast as I can on my bike.

More than 200 italians are dying every day, what we need more to understand this is not a joke?

I am tempted to tell my company I am sick with temperature, but fu%& I am not a dishonest guy.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Where is this? Depending on the circumstances you could just get up and leave. Don't let authority trick you into something you consider unreasonable. Don't depend on other people's motives.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2020, 03:58:14 am »

They're fining people for keeping children in school or taking them out?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2020, 04:15:13 am »
I just got back from weekly grocery shopping. I was really surprised. I would estimate only 10-15% of store-able food remains. I've been through floods, hurricanes, winter storms that shut down the Interstates for days, but nothing like this. I don't know where people are putting all of it. I spent maybe 50% more than normal on extra stuff like canned goods and pasta, but if things don't improve I will likely starve before any virus gets me.

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2020, 04:46:55 am »
Yes, everyone around you acting irrationally is super depressing (imagining everybody in their rooms with a pile of toilet paper in the middle). And this of course - https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-gun-purchases-ammo-20200318-emc53brliragvofwa4ydowij3a-story.html

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2020, 04:55:18 am »
We've been shopping several times in the past few days to stock up on the normal stuff, no hoarding here but we did get an extra box of snack bars. The stores are crowded and as everyone has said, the toilet paper and tissues were sold out but it hasn't been any problem getting food so far.

I'm afraid I'll never understand the toilet paper thing, of all the things I could hoard, food, beverages, medications, cleaning supplies, ammo (if I lived somewhere I could hunt game if needed), firewood, camp stove fuel, gasoline, etc TP would probably fall to the bottom of that list. As long as I've got running water I simply don't need it, it's a convenience item.

Online mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2020, 05:23:54 am »
Our PM came out today and said categorically that they are not going to close the schools. Barring any drastic escalation I guess, but they didn't even hint at that. The TLDR was that schools must stay open at all costs.
Took about 4 days in here from "schools will remain open" to  --> martial law, closing schools and 50% of parents pulling their kids out of kindergarden.  :popcorn:

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2020, 08:53:54 am »

School's OUT !!!!!!    :scared: :scared: :scared:

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2020, 09:45:24 am »
Been working from home this week with a cough - without testing there is no way to be sure that this is "just" a cough and not something more serious.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2020, 10:27:43 am »
I can't work from home, so I'm off sick with a cough. It started out quite mild at the weekend, but I came to work Monday to Wednesday, then people told me I should not come in today. The cough has gotten worse though and I didn't sleep well last night, although I don't feel unwell enough to be off sick. I might go for a cycle ride this afternoon, if it doesn't rain of course.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf