Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228744 times)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #325 on: March 19, 2020, 10:18:54 pm »
Corolla Virus
The staff carpark at the primary school opposite has noticeably fewer cars than normal, I suppose they will simply have to close the school if staff don't turn up for work.   :o

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #326 on: March 19, 2020, 11:19:13 pm »
Corolla Virus

The staff carpark at the primary school opposite has noticeably fewer cars than normal, I suppose they will simply have to close the school if staff don't turn up for work.   :o

What's the bet you'll find them scaredy cats at the local shopping haunts,
queued up to HOARD buy MORE dunny paper and pasta ? 

..exposing themselves to possible infected shopping trolley handles,
up close to other hoarding hellbound trash people breathing  :o  ..and exhaling who knows what  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Can't even label them as cows or pigs, those two animal groups have their s*** together a LOT better,
nor make such a biggie about wiping their rears much less a 6 month/year loo paper backup supply  :palm:

"**** the school kids, gotta get to the supermarket ASAP!!!" 

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #327 on: March 20, 2020, 09:36:26 am »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2020, 09:40:13 am »
IMHO one of the great weaknesses of EEVblog is that discussions deemed "off-topic" get stamped out so quickly, so I don't really know anything about anyone's interests outside of electronics. Imagine sitting in a sports bar and getting kicked out for talking about music, it would be ridiculous, but that's what seems to happen here.

Because I have seen countless forums get destroyed if they allow anything. There is a fine balance between too much moderation and not enough.
Off-topic social chit-chat will ultimately dominate threads, and new users here will just see endless talk about music, or politics, or cats and just leave.
If you don't like it then there is Usenet and Whirlpool among others.
We have a 108 page thread where you can post about yourself and your interests:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/new-member-please-introduce-yourself/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:42:23 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: digsys, edavid, Brumby, RandallMcRee, Electro Detective, bd139, SiliconWizard

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2020, 10:11:02 am »

for "endless talk about music, or politics, or cats"

there's Facebook  ;D

The following users thanked this post: digsys

Offline engrguy42

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2020, 10:25:04 am »
There goes the entire state of California:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-issues-statewide-stay-home-order-coronavirus-fight-n1164471
Only 39M people.

Same with New York, 4th most populous state (20 million). I saw an article saying their governor just yesterday mandated that 75% of "non-essential" workers to stay at or work from home.
- The best engineers know enough to realize they don't know nuthin'...
- Those who agree with you can do no wrong. Those who disagree can do no right.
- I'm always amazed at how many people "already knew that" after you explain it to them in detail...

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2020, 12:35:13 pm »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-issues-statewide-stay-home-order-coronavirus-fight-n1164471
Only 39M people.

That includes me now, although I'm already doing it. It's been almost six days since I last went anywhere, with the exception of visits with one neighbor friend who has also been staying home. We are both feeling normal.

The main effect of the order is to shut down all the entertainment/eating places that people might want to go, other than the essential services. That's pretty much the only way to get some people to take things seriously. Not everyone gets it unless it slaps them in the face.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #332 on: March 20, 2020, 03:49:49 pm »
Here all places that sell alcohol are required to close at 6PM, Mon-Sat, and 2PM Sunday. Should ensure the shebeens do roaring business, along with the bottle stores and the liquor outlets, as people stock up and get plastered at home.

Yes, this is a country where there are advertising campaigns against walking drunk at night, and the Er's do not bother with testing pedestrians who come in in a MVA any more, they know that they are both drunk and likely also positive, so take the same precautions regarding fluid contact. You can not find masks and gloves anywhere, though I do have them for other reasons, along with a plentiful supply of alcohol and liquid soap, so just refilled all the dispensers at home for use, and grabbed a small pocket size one to leave in the car.

No work from home, just am avoiding going to shops unless needed, and use shops that are likely to be empty, which is why I paid bills at the Post office, a whole one person ahead of me, and another behind.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: March 20, 2020, 07:40:52 pm »
Only 39M people.

I'm in California and I can tell you that this order is being widely ignored. Traffic on the roads and highways is not visibly different from normal, and the carparks of local business parks are filled nearly to capacity (and these businesses are not related to healthcare or any of the other "essential services" that are exempted from the order).
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #334 on: March 21, 2020, 04:41:55 am »
Only 39M people.

I'm in California and I can tell you that this order is being widely ignored. Traffic on the roads and highways is not visibly different from normal, and the carparks of local business parks are filled nearly to capacity (and these businesses are not related to healthcare or any of the other "essential services" that are exempted from the order).

I did a drive from the valley to long beach last week and even with rain it was a fast trip. I think those who could were already home and with no exception list having been produced they can't enforce and have already stated at this point they aren't enforcing.

I have contacted a couple factories and they're not planning on complying(at least until there is enforcement). Although even for people that are going to comply I would have expected them to stop coming after Friday, not Thursday when it was announced.  I'm personally responsible for 3 businesses shutting down on this past Monday. They heard I was in the hospital and decided they were going to take it seriously. :-DD
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 04:43:54 am by maginnovision »

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #335 on: March 21, 2020, 05:41:59 am »
Heard that they are close to getting us to work from home.  Still though it's taking quite a while to get setup properly. This should have been done like 2 months ago.   They have the softphone working and the licensing all figured out, now they just need to figure out how to transfer the programming from our physical sets.  They also had to order special headsets, since you can't just use any headset with the software.  So yeah this could still be a while I think.  By the time it's all done this pandemic will be over.  I think that's what they are secretly hoping.  They don't like the idea of people working from home.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #337 on: March 21, 2020, 06:03:13 am »
They seem to be taking it seriously here. Schools are closed until mid April at the earliest. Every major college has postponed graduations. The few stores I've been in had blue tape on the floor at the checkouts marking "safe social distance". When I was at the pharmacy Thursday, every other seat in the waiting area was marked as "unavailable".

The apartment complex where I live now keeps the office doors locked and are running on an appointment only basis and even then they meet in the clubhouse and talk across the room. All maintenance postponed indefinitely except where resident safety or potential property damage is a concern.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #338 on: March 21, 2020, 06:21:18 am »
A funny side effect of hundreds of thousands of people working from home is that there's been a run on webcams.  Go onto Amazon, BestBuy, etc and try and find one for a reasonable price/delivery date

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #339 on: March 21, 2020, 06:39:16 am »
I still don't see what they're going to do, the current situation is unsustainable, I happened to read an article today suggesting that the lockdowns and social distancing may need to go on for a year or more but I don't see that working out, sooner or later more and more people will decide they'd rather risk death than be imprisoned in their own home and there's no way we can sustain having millions of people forced out of their livelihood for that long. Even after a couple of weeks of this people are going to start to get very restless. I suspect that under the best of conditions we'll slow down the spread slightly while committing economic suicide, beyond that it's just going to come down to nature doing what it does, a bunch of people will die, most will not, that's just life. Unless we achieve either herd immunity through the natural process or come up with an effective vaccine likely to take a year or more, I don't think the virus is just going to go away, I would guess it will start spreading again as soon as controls are relaxed. Guess we'll see.

Offline rgarito

• Regular Contributor
  • STM32, ARM, x86, FPGA, Firmware, Linux/FreeBSD
« Reply #340 on: March 21, 2020, 07:01:36 am »
I still don't see what they're going to do, the current situation is unsustainable, I happened to read an article today suggesting that the lockdowns and social distancing may need to go on for a year or more but I don't see that working out, sooner or later more and more people will decide they'd rather risk death than be imprisoned in their own home and there's no way we can sustain having millions of people forced out of their livelihood for that long. Even after a couple of weeks of this people are going to start to get very restless. I suspect that under the best of conditions we'll slow down the spread slightly while committing economic suicide, beyond that it's just going to come down to nature doing what it does, a bunch of people will die, most will not, that's just life. Unless we achieve either herd immunity through the natural process or come up with an effective vaccine likely to take a year or more, I don't think the virus is just going to go away, I would guess it will start spreading again as soon as controls are relaxed. Guess we'll see.

Yeah, some of us will be unaffected, work-wise (I work from home a lot anyways so there really is no difference for me).  But for the bars, restaurants, entertainment things, etc (Florida's economy is largely tourism), unless the government plans on paying all of these people to sit home, I don't see how a year is physically possible. 

I know how things went after Hurricane Wilma down here, when we had no electricity for 30+ days.  After about 2 weeks, things started to deteriorate fast....

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: March 21, 2020, 03:29:11 pm »

Indeed.
I don't know what's going to happen. Right now the idea is to limit the spread. Thing is, at what point are we going to decide it's OK?

Once the lockdowns have been decided, it's going to be very hard politically to decide it's over - we have kind of a parallel with what happened regarding the fight against terrorism. It may take literally years before the special measures are canceled, and some of them may linger for yet longer. Really dunno.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 03:31:13 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #342 on: March 21, 2020, 03:57:26 pm »
Do not worry, it is coming to your hometown

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-police-arrest-covid-19-1.5505349

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/opp-warns-businesses-social-distancing-1.5505439

By the time that forcible quarantining comes to Florida it will be much to late.  The students at a nearby university are acting like it's Black Friday and are packing into the stores.  And judging from the traffic , no one seems to be staying at home. But this is a major tourist area and everyone is supposed to go out and eat, party, drink ,shop, go to theme parks and other attractions and spend money in general so no ones knows how NOT to do those things.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #343 on: March 21, 2020, 04:02:30 pm »
Do not worry, it is coming to your hometown

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-police-arrest-covid-19-1.5505349

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/opp-warns-businesses-social-distancing-1.5505439

By the time that forcible quarantining comes to Florida it will be much to late.  The students at a nearby university are acting like it's Black Friday and are packing into the stores.  And judging from the traffic , no one seems to be staying at home. But this is a major tourist area and everyone is supposed to go out and eat, party, drink ,shop, go to theme parks and other attractions and spend money in general so no ones knows how NOT to do those things.

Can't the federal government decide and impose special measures to all states in extreme situations like this?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #344 on: March 21, 2020, 04:38:24 pm »
They could try, but it could cause a massive panic or an armed uprising in some areas. You can't just force someone out of their livelihood, people gotta eat and pay the bills. All kinds of people take jobs that are risky to life limb and health in order to make a living. Imprisoning people in their homes for extended periods doesn't work either,  it has a huge impact on mental health and people get antsy. There are not resources to enforce it either.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #345 on: March 21, 2020, 06:28:20 pm »
They could try, but it could cause a massive panic or an armed uprising in some areas. You can't just force someone out of their livelihood, people gotta eat and pay the bills. All kinds of people take jobs that are risky to life limb and health in order to make a living. Imprisoning people in their homes for extended periods doesn't work either,  it has a huge impact on mental health and people get antsy. There are not resources to enforce it either.

I don't disagree with you there, but this is basically what they did in many countries worldwide. People can still get out but just to run some errands, go to work but only if the job can absolutely not be done from home, etc. People are also allowed to get out for some exercising, as long as you don't go too far away from your home. If you're controlled in another city than your home city for instance, you're likely to get fined unless you can justify it very clearly, and not just for a walk...

And yes it absolutely looks like home detention as I said earlier... except that we didn't do anything wrong.

I understand this could be much more difficult to enforce in the whole US as it's a very large country, a different mentality and you probably don't have the resources to enforce it either indeed, especially since the country is so spread out geographically.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 06:35:43 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #346 on: March 21, 2020, 06:42:11 pm »

Maybe some of what we are seeing is the inevitable government "must be seen to have done all they could",  then people breaking the quarantine can be blamed for the inevitable deaths.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #347 on: March 21, 2020, 11:45:58 pm »
Who knows. I just view it with the attitude that it is mostly futile, those of us who can work from home should, those who can't should take extra precautions not to spread germs, those who are at greater risk should be able to take temporary leave while collecting unemployment. It is pointless and counterproductive to try to shut everything down though, viruses are microscopic, they reproduce in huge numbers, they are easily spread and it is impossible to completely isolate everyone from everyone else, it takes *one* slip up somewhere to bypass all of the draconian containment efforts. The vast majority of us are going to catch this bug sooner or later no matter what. The best we can hope to do is slow down the spread enough that hopefully the medical system doesn't get overwhelmed but loads of people have lost their jobs already which in most cases (in the US) means they have lost their medical coverage and the ability to pay doctor bills, we are going to see a lot of people die of all sorts of different things because they chose to chance staying home vs ending up with a huge hospital bill. Much of these will be difficult to link directly to Covid because they'll be caused by unrelated conditions that could have been caught by preventative care or non-emergency doctor visits. Then when you have people panicking and doing things like hoarding supplies and even stealing masks and stuff from hospitals that all just makes a bad problem so much worse.

One thing it does highlight is the utter lack of preparedness, even having some sort of plan in place to mitigate the damage would have gone a long way. We should have at least a few domestic factories that can manufacture medical supplies and equipment, even if they have to be government subsidized to compete with imported products during normal times, they can be idled when not needed but we NEED the ability to ramp up capacity quickly. I'm skeptical of the usefulness of surgical masks in these cases but none the less there is no good reason we shouldn't be able to produce billions of them, a modern automated production line could pump out hundreds of thousands or millions a day. We need to have the ability to quickly set up temporary hospitals like they do in warzones, we need to have a large pool of people who have had some sort of medical training so they can volunteer at these facilities in emergencies doing tasks that don't really need a fully trained and licensed doctor or nurse. This is all stuff we need to do 10 years ago, not today. I shudder to think what we will do if there is ever another world war, in WWII our factories quickly shifted over to produce vast amounts of equipment for the war effort but today we have virtually no factories to shift over.

In the nearer term, stores should have immediately implemented progressive pricing policies at the first signs of hoarding, buy one at the regular price, pay progressively more for each additional of the same item, that would go a long way toward stemming the hoarding. Then if only our media and politicians would focus on distributing the information without the sensationalism and hype, keeping people calm, reminding them not to panic, how to prepare, not to hoard, etc along with efforts to control the spread rumors and false information on social media. Instead it has been a complete shitshow with the media stirring panic and hype, creating a polarization of people in a panicked frenzy who think the world is coming to and end on one side and people who think the whole thing is a bunch of BS and refusing to take any action on the other. I think we'd be far better off if most people were sensible and composed and just stayed calm and took a few sensible precautions. Panicked and complacent people are both part of the problem and get in the way of those working on solutions. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:49:15 pm by james_s »

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2020, 12:55:03 am »
With the level of scrutiny the governments have been facing (and some that distort on purpose to gain political points), I think they have no choice but act as if they are doing something - see the enormous backlash that Mexican government is taking from its apparent lack of initiative.

At any rate, my cynical side is piqued strongly when some sort of worldwide consensus is reached: "is the trigger reaction designed to give someone an advantage or is the situation indeed serious?" I honestly don't know and hope the suspicion is misplaced.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:25:51 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2020, 03:01:37 am »
We should also be drilling into people's heads what to do when they get sick, most people by now either know what to do to reduce their chances of spreading it or they are never going to get that message. It's virtually guaranteed that huge numbers of people will get sick and now we need them to know when to seek medical attention and more importantly when NOT to. A vast majority of those infected are likely to recover on their own at home the way we do when we get any other respiratory virus, some remedies will be more helpful than others and some of the rumors that go around are likely to do more harm than good. Everyone who goes to the doctor or ER when they don't need to is one less resource available for someone who really does need it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf