Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228154 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #1575 on: June 10, 2020, 01:51:18 am »
Can we stop saying "boost your immune system".  It doesn't work like that.  You don't "boost" your immune system.  To do so would cause auto-immune syndromes.  What you can do is make sure you are not suppressing your immune system with poor diet, alcohol, drugs, vitamin deficiency, over weight, stress etc. etc. etc.

Thank you.  This myth simply will not die.  A "boosted" immune system is an inflammatory immune system: good in the short term for dealing with infection/injury, but causes collateral damage, and in the long term can significantly damage the circulatory system.  Thankfully, one cannot actually "boost" it, short of being exposed to lots of pathogens.   As as you alluded to, taking a supplement isn't going to improve an immune system that is hindered by poor diet, sleep etc..

This reminds me... Someone I talk to in the local swimming pool every now and then pointed me to a (what turned out to be) anti-carbohydrates video (which is utter nonsense BTW). One of the things they brought up in the video is that a shocking number of people have absolutely no clue what a healthy diet is. They showed some people who where eating food which could be best described as sweetened & salted card board. No wonder these people started to feel better when they started eating real food and not stomage filling. Another example: a while ago I read an article about a teenage boy somewhere in the UK which got permanently blind because he was only eating hamburgers. IOW: don't assume people know what they should eat to stay healthy.

Back in the day (60's) this was taught in school...  I still remember the food pyramid, all the different groups you should eat from to stay healthy, etc.  -  perhaps nowadays teaching this kind of stuff would offend somebody, somewhere, so they don't do it any longer?

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1576 on: June 10, 2020, 01:53:03 am »
I'm back to getting out of the lab for videos, going to interview someone about quantum computing!  :-+
Technically their lab is still in "lockdown", so meeting somewhere else.

Look forward to seeing/hearing that.  If ever a subject needed to be explained in a clear and sober way...   this is it!

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1577 on: June 10, 2020, 01:56:11 am »
I agree, there's probably little benefit in taking supplements, if you already have adequate vitamin D levels, but if you're in an at risk group, then it's probably a good idea, unless you've been tested and found to not be deficient.

The problem with relying on sufficient/deficient levels is that these levels are based on average population data etc. They don't take into account any individual persons immune and other bodily systems, not that you can really determine those to any degree of correlation anyway.
And also levels change very quickly with daily changes in diet etc. Where's the data on what happens if you don't get any sun for a week and also don't happen to eat suitable foods that week, and you get whatever thing is going around. I'd be surprised is that data exists.
Taking supplements even if you have been tested as having "sufficient" levels is just cheap insurance. If you can afford it, it's a no-brainer.

My doctor says they can clearly see it in the blood tests -  pretty much everyone has Vitamin D deficiency in the winter half of the year, and are OK in summer.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1578 on: June 10, 2020, 02:00:23 am »
I would hate to be an ISP during this. This is impact of having 4 people at home rather than the usual 1...

I'm actually surprised our NBN here has coped with all the video demand.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1579 on: June 10, 2020, 02:11:11 am »
TP=toilet paper

My friend says "Duh!" and "Thanks".

[OK, I fib - my 'friend' is actually my partner, but did say the above really!]

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1580 on: June 10, 2020, 10:14:04 am »
I'm back to getting out of the lab for videos, going to interview someone about quantum computing!  :-+
Technically their lab is still in "lockdown", so meeting somewhere else.
Offtopic: Cool. Maybe you can get a good, clear answer on how quantum computing is supposed to work. A good question would be: how to calculate 1+1 on a quantum computer. That is still unclear to me but I'll admit I did not dive very deep into quantum computing yet.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1581 on: June 10, 2020, 01:37:35 pm »
I'm actually surprised our NBN here has coped with all the video demand.

In Europe, Netflix has slashed video bitrates to around 1/3rd of what they were to keep up with the added demand.
Makes some 1080p content look really pretty poor.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1582 on: June 10, 2020, 01:42:56 pm »
1080p from "other sources" is still good  :-DD

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #1583 on: June 10, 2020, 01:44:10 pm »
how to calculate 1+1 on a quantum computer.

Easy - you calculate n + n, then disregard all the results for which n!=1  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1584 on: June 10, 2020, 03:08:39 pm »
Offtopic: Cool. Maybe you can get a good, clear answer on how quantum computing is supposed to work. A good question would be: how to calculate 1+1 on a quantum computer. That is still unclear to me but I'll admit I did not dive very deep into quantum computing yet.
Conventional math will be likely left with conventional computers. Quantum deals with probabilities. You'd probably (no pun intended) don't want to receive an answer in a form of bunch of variants along with probability numbers for each one for being a correct result.  ::)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1585 on: June 10, 2020, 03:30:46 pm »
Conventional math will be likely left with conventional computers. Quantum deals with probabilities. You'd probably (no pun intended) don't want to receive an answer in a form of bunch of variants along with probability numbers for each one for being a correct result.  ::)

So, 1 + 1 is probably 2?    :-//

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1586 on: June 10, 2020, 03:37:14 pm »
Dave's interview should be interesting (hopefully), as I'm still not completely sure or convinced "quantum computing" will really be of any practical use, at least before several decades from now.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1587 on: June 10, 2020, 04:11:55 pm »

So, 1 + 1 is probably 2?    :-//

It is going to be highly probable that the result is 2  :D
As Dave says, "Confidence is High, I repeat: confidence is High"
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1588 on: June 10, 2020, 04:24:28 pm »
True. I've found people who are high show a massive amount of confidence.  :)

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1589 on: June 10, 2020, 05:21:14 pm »

Your mates do coke?
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1590 on: June 10, 2020, 05:28:04 pm »

Your mates do coke?
Nah. Everyone has migrated away from using coke to reduce their carbon footprint.

The following users thanked this post: paulca

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1591 on: June 12, 2020, 04:38:24 pm »
Here is a real-world example about how covid has changed work. This week I went for a haircut, which I had not had since very early March. It was either get a haircut or start wearing a ponytail or a man bun. The general consensus by my entire environment was that neither of those alternatives was a good idea.

I had tried a bit of self-barbering, but it turned out to be a decidedly poor idea. Having a 'friend' cut my hair was risky, not just covid risk.  :)

In the last month, I received two text messages from the place (more of a salon than a bloody pole barbershop - but not too upscale) which I have been going to for many years - they were simply saying that they will reopen as soon as they can. I appreciated the texts because you just don't know whether retail independents have survived "shutdown" (there is the first thing they did right).

I make the appointment and briefly discuss the "changes". I washed my hair before going so that I did not have to have my hair washed as normal. I wore a mask as did the stylist who has cut my hair for several years.

They took my temperature using a non-contact thermometer when I came in - I smiled and silently wondered if they bought it on eBay. There was a large bottle of sanitizer (hand crank) and I could smell the vegetable-based, poorly distilled (my opinion), isopropyl that is now common place. I had brought my own ethyl and they had no problem with me using it instead. I forgot to bring latex or nitrile gloves, but that was not a rule.  You could buy masks (which were required) at the counter for US$2.00 - they were the cheapos and that is within the range of the going price around here.

Then I had to answer a bunch of written questions affirmatively and sign the paper. This was basically a promise that I would not sue, that  I understood that there was a risk of infection and I had to adhere to all the rules. I know the owner, who was there, and there is no way on earth she came up with any of that. She clearly had simply followed guidance provided by the local government (it wasn't written well enough to be made by a private lawyer).

They had makeshift barriers around the customers and there were only two (including me) at the time.

I wore my mask the whole time, lowering the ear strap when needed. We chatted briefly and he chuckled and said he  remembered the last time I was there and how I was telling him that everything was about to change and that I would likely not see him for a while. He also laughed when noticing my self-barbering attempts.

No blow dry and I was in and out quickly. I gave him the usual tip and included the tip for the person who usually washes my hair.

Some might think that these new procedures were ridiculous, unnecessary and ineffective. I note that, as usual, we had more new cases today, in the tiny state in which I live, than the entire country of Canada.

I was happy with everything they were doing and told the owner so...and I also said I will see you soon as I left. Next week, we are scheduled for phase 2 of reopening.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1592 on: June 12, 2020, 05:09:52 pm »

I had a similar experience at the dentist -  first appointment since the crisis.  Forms to fill in, temperature taken on arrival, dental staff wearing face shields while working, but the patient (me!) was not wearing a mask for obvious reasons!   :-DD

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1593 on: June 12, 2020, 05:20:47 pm »

I had a similar experience at the dentist -  first appointment since the crisis.  Forms to fill in, temperature taken on arrival, dental staff wearing face shields while working, but the patient (me!) was not wearing a mask for obvious reasons!   :-DD
Is a dentist wearing a face shield something new for you? Many have been wearing them since the AIDS epidemic first struck.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1594 on: June 12, 2020, 05:29:18 pm »

Is a dentist wearing a face shield something new for you? Many have been wearing them since the AIDS epidemic first struck.

I wondered about that also and had to think back. Seems like it depends on what they were doing because sometimes they are wearing magnifying ocular devices and not a face shield and other times a face shield. The assisting person would normally be wearing a face shield by my recollection.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1595 on: June 12, 2020, 07:05:11 pm »

I don't recall anything more serious than a normal mask.  Often enough, not even that.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1596 on: June 12, 2020, 08:21:41 pm »
Here is a real-world example about how covid has changed work. This week I went for a haircut, which I had not had since very early March. It was either get a haircut or start wearing a ponytail or a man bun. The general consensus by my entire environment was that neither of those alternatives was a good idea.

I had tried a bit of self-barbering, but it turned out to be a decidedly poor idea. Having a 'friend' cut my hair was risky, not just covid risk.  :)
My haircuit was less involved. Just a disposable plastic sheet to catch the hair and the hair dresser was wearing a mask. Next week the dentist... they are more serious though. I had to fill out an online form.

And it turns out mink are susceptible to Covid-19 as well and can transfer it onto humans too. They killed over half a million of these animals in the NL during the past few days in order to get rid of the infection hazard. And since breeding mink is going to be banned in the next couple of years it looks like mink farming came to an abrupt end for some farmers due to Covid-19. The article didn't say what they where going to do with the infected cats on the farm.

Part of the story in English:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/coronavirus-rips-through-dutch-mink-farms-triggering-culls-prevent-human-infections
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:24:37 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1597 on: June 12, 2020, 09:35:34 pm »
Mink might be a good experimental animal to test COVID-19 therapies in. They need better animal models. That would speed up progress a lot I suspect.

And it turns out mink are susceptible to Covid-19 as well and can transfer it onto humans too. They killed over half a million of these animals in the NL during the past few days in order to get rid of the infection hazard. And since breeding mink is going to be banned in the next couple of years it looks like mink farming came to an abrupt end for some farmers due to Covid-19. The article didn't say what they where going to do with the infected cats on the farm.

Part of the story in English:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/coronavirus-rips-through-dutch-mink-farms-triggering-culls-prevent-human-infections
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:37:34 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1598 on: June 13, 2020, 02:55:04 am »
Aus government have just announced that Chinese students (in limited numbers, but still a LOT) will be allowed to enter back into the country within a couple of weeks.
Will be interesting to see what happens in a months time.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1599 on: June 13, 2020, 03:49:15 pm »
I am sure the universities are overjoyed because the funds they receive from foreign students, particularly Chinese students are substantial. Plus, if indeed they have reduced their numbers as much as they claim, the chances of them being sick is smaller than Europeans, South Americans or especially, Americans.

I think the chances of a random American testing positive now are likely higher now than a random Chinese, seriously. And I see photos of people behaving very foolishly so I am sure this epidemic will be with us for a long time to come.

Far more than 1000 people have died in my (small) county alone.

I live in an area that has seen a lot of COVID-19 which is now on the decline, but its only because the area is still - if no longer officially under lockdown, people are still behaving carefully, for the most part, with some exceptions. This area has such a large population, which is now reducing the new infection rate, contains so many of us that it makes the US numbers look far better than they would if you simply removed us from the statistics. And if you want by those numbers, they would be alarming.

But the rest of the US- especially considering that is warmer and transmission is lower when its warm, its scary.  I understand some states are basically just pretending its over in them when the epidemic really is just beginning for them, and without testing, they won't know it unless people have better access to tests than they do today. When the weather cools down in the fall we'll likely see the effect of that and it will be very hard to control unless they have better drugs.

Here, people are still staying in, it seems.

Roads still have far less traffic than they had in the recent past. (This area used to have a very bad traffic problem) Now its easy to get around and the restrictions are lifted. But people are not doing what they used to this time of year. they are having "staycations"

For example, most beach towns have put severe restrictions on visitors.

You can tell just from the noise level outdoors. usually there is a constant low level din from traffic and just general activity, now its very quiet and you can hear birds and other animals vocalizations, instead of a constant roar of cars and trucks on the highways.

Its anybody's guess what wil happen, it could go either way. Some other countries where they relaxed restrictions are seeing new cases and deaths rise again.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 04:04:30 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf