Author Topic: Window screens  (Read 5911 times)

Offline james_sTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Window screens
« on: June 06, 2023, 10:31:05 pm »
They're not electronic but they are technology and this is the most worldwide forum I'm on. I was chatting with my British friend recently and he was complaining about the warm weather and not being able to open windows because of all the bugs getting in the house so I asked if he needed new window screens and he said he didn't have any and that they aren't really a thing there at all. I was surprised by this, in the US and Canada screens on the windows and screen doors on sliding glass patio doors are universal, I've never seen a house built in the last ~75 years that didn't at least originally have them. It's a very simple technology, they're inexpensive, low maintenance, easy to retrofit and practically invisible. We have them in various designs for all styles of windows, even special roll-up screens for windows and hatches on RVs (caravans) and boats. The UK has bugs very similar to those here in the USA, so why are window screens not a thing there? Are people simply not aware they exist? I'd have thought the relative rarity of air conditioning in that part of the world would make screens even more compelling. Bugs entering the house are a nuisance, even if they're not the kind that bite or sting.

Do other parts of the world not have them either?

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Window screens
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 10:44:00 pm »
Fly screens (as we call them) are all fun and games until you have a cat.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 10:52:03 pm »
Maybe climate change has brought bugs to areas that historically were not a problem?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 10:55:33 pm »
I find it unlikely that the UK didn't have flying insects until recently.

Yeah the screens can be a challenge with cats, but that can be mitigated by not opening the window that the cat likes to sit in, and put some double sided tape on the sills of the windows you do want to open. Most cats hate stepping on anything sticky and will quickly learn to avoid those windows. Mine are geriatric at this point and can no longer jump up to most of the windows.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 10:58:56 pm »
On my first visit to Germany, ca. 1990 during August, I was not surprised that reasonably-priced hotels did not have air conditioning, but I could not believe that they had no screens on the windows to keep the wasps out when trying to cool the room.  Outdoor temperatures were > 32o C.
Another summer trip to Belgium:  also no screens, but they gave us an electric plug-in chemical dispenser to repel mosquitos.
The worst tar-paper shack in the poorest area of the US has window screens and a screen door.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:04:52 pm by TimFox »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 11:04:12 pm »
Here, someone renting a house has the right to insist that the screens are installed and repaired if broken. It tends to be less enforced if said tenant owns nuisance pets.
iratus parum formica

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 11:09:18 pm »

In years gone by (before global warming and other factors), the UK didn't have too much of a problem with bugs.  The main (rare) exceptions being, bees and sometimes wasps (but relatively rare for them to enter a house).

But the common insect to enter at times (when windows are open), would be house flies.  But you can learn to get rid of them, reasonably easily.  So, maybe once or twice a week, the flies can be dealt with, in various ways.  Including opening a door or window and sort of chasing them (or letting them) out.

But in modern times, the insect populations, are suppose to be increasing in the UK.

Maybe it is because of the (still) relatively mild temperature changes, most of the UK experiences, during the year.  I.e. Never that cold or that hot (although probably with global warming, it can get rather hot, these days).

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 11:13:48 pm »

Maybe it is because of the (still) relatively mild temperature changes, most of the UK experiences, during the year.  I.e. Never that cold or that hot (although probably with global warming, it can get rather hot, these days).

I still get a laugh from that place where for weeks everyone wanders about normally until one really sunny bank holiday. Every park every where everyone was half naked.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 11:16:42 pm »
I still get a laugh from that place where for weeks everyone wanders about normally until one really sunny bank holiday. Every park every where everyone was half naked.

Also potentially huge traffic jams, with everyone trying to go for the same (limited parking, and space in general at the place), favourite (bank) holiday destinations, such as beaches etc.

Source of picture (weird picture, possibly reversed, as we drive on the left):
https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2022/04/12/how-to-prepare-for-bank-holiday-traffic-as-20m-drivers-hit-uk-roads/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:23:18 pm by MK14 »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 11:24:12 pm »

Also potentially huge traffic jams, with everyone trying to go for the same (limited parking, and space in general at the place), favourite (bank) holiday destinations, such as beaches etc.

https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2022/04/12/how-to-prepare-for-bank-holiday-traffic-as-20m-drivers-hit-uk-roads/

And the one day I picked to visit LDN from our base camp in the middle. Pandemonium.
iratus parum formica

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 11:26:30 pm »
Why would they reverse that? Are we trying not to offend the Americans or something now?
iratus parum formica

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 11:32:18 pm »
Why would they reverse that? Are we trying not to offend the Americans or something now?

It seems they got it from a photo stock company (iStock, info in bottom left of picture), so it is probably from a European country, with similar looking cars, who drive on the right.

Also, apart from London (perhaps, and maybe a handful of other very big cities), 5 lane roads in both directions, are not common in the UK.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 11:38:35 pm »
No need for fly screens when you got these,think every house in the 70's had em

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2023, 11:40:50 pm »
No need for fly screens when you got these,think every house in the 70's had em

Every fish and chip shop.
iratus parum formica

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2023, 11:44:11 pm »
Cats and cheap screens made of fiber material may not mix, but screens made of aluminum, or even better copper should shrug off cat attacks.  I would think the extra (very significant) expense would not be an issue for those wanting to get their beloved pets a bit of fresh air without exposing them to the dangers of the outside world.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2023, 11:47:51 pm »
Cats and cheap screens made of fiber material may not mix, but screens made of aluminum, or even better copper should shrug off cat attacks.  I would think the extra (very significant) expense would not be an issue for those wanting to get their beloved pets a bit of fresh air without exposing them to the dangers of the outside world.

I can tell you that a cup's worth of water on the cats belly when caught hanging on the screen is the best way to fix it. Especially if you've got two cats and the 2nd is thinking about doing it.
iratus parum formica

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2023, 02:38:45 am »

Yeah the screens can be a challenge with cats, but that can be mitigated by not opening the window that the cat likes to sit in, and put some double sided tape on the sills of the windows you do want to open. Most cats hate stepping on anything sticky and will quickly learn to avoid those windows. Mine are geriatric at this point and can no longer jump up to most of the windows.

Back in 1971, I was sitting in a "bed-sitter" in Southampton UK, on a rare, pleasant summer's day, with the windows open.
A bumblebee flew in, bumbled around loudly, then flew out again.
I was chuffed, having never seen one before, as we don't have them in Oz.

In turn, they didn't seem to have anything like our annoying bushflies---a few houseflies, for sure, but not in huge numbers.
I remember some sandflies, but not mosquitoes.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 02:49:55 am »
I don't remember the exact year of my German trip mentioned above, but it was during the governmental transition while the Soviet army was still around.
Besides the abnormal heat, even in Berlin (quite a bit north), there was an unprecedented plague of wasps.
Screens would have been useful.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 04:50:47 am »
Stainless Steel, insignificant price increase over the poly/fibre/filament/plastic alternatives.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 06:24:44 am »
We rather rarely have them here, in Romania/EU.  Most often called "mosquito nets".  Almost nonexistent in the past, when the window frames were made out out of wood.

Slowly the wooden frames were replaced with plastic frames (popular name "Termopan", which is a brand AFAIK, with plastic frame and double/triple layers of sealed glass).  The plastic frame windows often have insect-screens, but not always (screens can be eventually ordered after installing).

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 07:24:30 am »
The English in the days of the Empire used to put mosquito nets on and over the bed in the colonies.
iratus parum formica

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 02:01:31 pm »
I was chuffed, having never seen one before, as we don't have them in Oz.

In turn, they didn't seem to have anything like our annoying bushflies---a few houseflies, for sure, but not in huge numbers.
I remember some sandflies, but not mosquitoes.
if you want to meet the most evil bitey thing just take a trip to the west coast of scotland in summer and introduce yerself to    the wee midge, insect  repellent is useless against them, they just see it as  a condiment.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 05:15:43 pm »
I was surprised to see the comment that stainless steel wasn't that expensive, so did some searches and found that the relative prices of materials has changed a lot since I last bought any a couple of decades ago.

Here in the US fiberglass is the most common and runs about $0.50/sq. ft.  Aluminum next most common $0.42/sq ft.  Next is stainless steel at $1.02 sq. ft. and finally the standard from early to mid 20th century, copper at $3.00 sq. ft.  For you metric zealots remember you are only interested in the price ratios and that math is the same regardless of units.

Given those prices it isn't obvious why fiberglass is used most here.  It is easier to work with (cuts with a knife and is very flexible), but is far less durable than aluminum.  Stainless is not noob friendly but obviously one of the best in terms of durability.  Copper is about like aluminum to work with, and is beautiful, but dang it costs plenty.

I also ran across a product that might be of interest to some, pet-proof fiberglass.

I don't understand why screens aren't used everywhere.  In combination with exhaust fans they allow me to almost totally avoid air conditioning while not suffering from mosquitos, houseflies, bees, wasps and hornets.  In an eco-friendly world they are one of the easiest and cheapest solutions.  And while I agree that bees and wasps can usually be gently herded out, it is a nuisance and SWMBO isn't as tolerant of the six and eight legged sharers of our planet.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2023, 05:27:24 pm »
Yes, at these prices window screens qualify as an "appropriate technology", even where air conditioning might not be appropriate.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2023, 08:03:12 pm »
In years gone by (before global warming and other factors), the UK didn't have too much of a problem with bugs.  The main (rare) exceptions being, bees and sometimes wasps (but relatively rare for them to enter a house).

But the common insect to enter at times (when windows are open), would be house flies.  But you can learn to get rid of them, reasonably easily.  So, maybe once or twice a week, the flies can be dealt with, in various ways.  Including opening a door or window and sort of chasing them (or letting them) out.

But in modern times, the insect populations, are suppose to be increasing in the UK.

Global warming has raised the average temperature of the planet only 0.8C per decade since 1981 according to what I've found. That's enough to cause problems but not likely going to be very perceptible to humans or affect the amount of time you'd want to open the windows. Where I live has weather similar to that in the UK and it does seem like our summers are a bit hotter than when I was a kid, but it's always gotten pretty hot for at least a few weeks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf