Author Topic: Will this be the end of Google? Apple AI may change how you search the Web!  (Read 898 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Let's start with the facts, then - my personal opinion - I'll tell you what I think!

• 30 years ago there were several search engines. Then Google created a search engine that blew away all the competition
  • Google then conducted some statistics and realized that from 2010 onwards the majority of searches are done on smartphones
  • Apple drew the same conclusions on iPhones, so I have reason to believe this is indeed the case
  • Google doesn't know how to make hardware (specifically Smartphones). Google makes a business out of information and entertainment and advertising on Youtube
  • Google bought Android and pays developers to develop a full OperatingSystem for mobile devices, then let Android be "open" and "free" because they need someone to develop hardware and run Android&Apps on it
  • In this way, given that many searches are done on smartphones, Google is trying to develop apps to support its search engine! Many searches (e.g. Youtube, restaurants and flight reservations, social media, ..) therefore pass directly through the Apps!
  • Even Apple realizes this potential and is now developing more and more apps that do searches without relying on the Google search engine.
  • For Apple there are values ​​such as hardware quality, software quality, and privacy
  • For Google the concept of "privacy" is something not well defined. In fact they sell data, and it is never clear to whom
  • Apple realizes that it can work on their "Siri voice assistant", enhance it with Artificial Intelligence (re-named Apple Intelligence), and use it to do searches, without relying on Google
  • Apple also realizes that has the ability to develop hardware specifically designed to support AI natively (NPU included in every Apple Silicon chip!), without the need to rely on external clouds for all core services. Apple plans to rely on a closed, proprietary network for services that require more processing power than the device being searched on can provide. The Apple network, operated by Apple, enforces strict privacy for you.
  • Google... eventually, can rely on apps that make use of chatGPT, which however, being based on OpenAI, does not run on the smartphone, runs on external clouds and cannot guarantee the privacy of the service

So, what I think? I think that Apple is taking a lot of power away from Google, and that ... if they continue like this, either Google evolves and changes its corporate policy (will they?), or... only YouTube will remain standing  :-//
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 06:19:21 pm by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
In the background AI still may be using Google search algorithms, so no loss to Google here.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Super Contributor
In the background AI still may be using Google search algorithms, so no loss to Google here.

I do not think so. I think exactly the opposite, for the simple fact that it conflicts with the objective of "privacy", which is a primary goal.
And, Apple has all the tools (both software and hardware) to make themselves totally independent from any search engine!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Super Contributor
Actually, the new Siri is a LAM

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator

I do not think so. I think exactly the opposite, for the simple fact that it conflicts with the objective of "privacy", which is a primary goal.
And, Apple has all the tools (both software and hardware) to make themselves totally independent from any search engine!

I don't believe there has been any formal announcement yet (unless I missed it) but Google's AI technology was one of two being considered for Apple's platform.

Also, if you think Apple is any better at privacy than Google, think again. At least with Google, you can mostly disable it all, if you don't want to use it. Apple doesn't have as granular controls.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
Google and Android are still one of the biggest and I doubt the lack of involvement with Apple is going to cause a sudden loss of the company.

I find it odd that many Apple users assume the world revolves around Apple. The number of times people will come out a spout the stories of how apple invented this or that. They didn't invent it, they just released their own product that due to the marketing etc end up seeming like they created it.

Though I will admit without Steve the fanatics have gone to Elon so Apple isn't the creator it used to be.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Google was done the moment the DEI AI images came out of Bard, Gemini or whatever it's called today.
You know that the information coming from that company isn't trustworthy anymore. The only thing keeping it alive is inertia.
Apple is probably looking for a way out for a while, because even though they get 1/3rd of the search revenue just by having google as default, they don't get 3/3rd of it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf