Author Topic: why is the US not Metric  (Read 157487 times)

Offline boffin

• Supporter
Re: why is the US not Metric
« Reply #1275 on: February 14, 2020, 10:55:31 pm »
It's the same drill we are talking about, we just call it something more meaningful to us.
To be honest, imperial drill bit sizes are not all that meaningful even to me. Anything beyond 8ths, I tend to just measure the screw/pin/dowel with calipers, then find the drill bit with calipers, lol.

There's also the time-tested trick of holding the screw and drill bit together, to see that the threads of the screw are just visible behind the silhouette of the drill bit. :)

You haven't lived until you've owned a complete American drill set, including Fractional 1/16" to 1/2" by 64ths,  Letter size drills A - Z, and Number size drills No. 1 - 60!

Really all these could usefully be rationalized to metric sizes, so you don't have to refer to a chart to figure out what is going on every time you need to drill a precise hole...

it's also a lot easier to figure out tapping sizes with metric (diameter - pitch), rather than having to consult a chart (metric) with M threads.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1276 on: February 14, 2020, 11:11:29 pm »
Whoa! Data point. No judgement? Welcome back to the discussion, Boffin! It's nice to have you.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1277 on: February 15, 2020, 04:08:58 pm »
No they didn’t. The “communist countries” they’re referring to are the actual countries that use metric flight levels. See the link I posted earlier:
The one major area where pretty much every country in the world has not metricated is aircraft flight levels.
Note the altimeter in this Saab J35 Draken ("Höjd m"):

Except for some communist countries, nobody in the world is using meter as an altitude unit in aviation.

:)

You mean countries with the same level of communism as Canada?  :P
Canada is not among the 9 countries in the world that use metric flight levels, either exclusively or partly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_level#Metric_flight_levels

Yes, but the picture is from a Swedish fighter jet with metric instruments.
Yes, we all know that. But that still doesn’t mean anyone said Sweden was communist.

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1278 on: February 15, 2020, 07:18:18 pm »
Yes, we all know that. But that still doesn’t mean anyone said Sweden was communist.
Somebody did: "Except for some communist countries, nobody in the world is using meter as an altitude unit in aviation."

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1279 on: February 15, 2020, 07:33:38 pm »
^Are you saying that Sweden's airforce uses meters for altitude, today? Or are you talking like 50 years ago?

Someone else mentioned meters being use for sailplane and hang gliders or something like that, in Germany. I'm curious of other examples.

I assume these hang gliders aren't talking with ATC and are only allowed to operate in limited, relatively low altitude areas. And they use metres on their gauges and their education and whatnot, and certifications/testing/licenses.

I can't imagine a country's military using meters and other planes using feet being an advantage, unless you're trying to increase the accident rate and make things hard on their ATC and pilots.

As far as I still know, Skymaster is right, and you are wrong. Unless you change "uses meters" to "has ever used meters." Open and waiting to be corrected and hopefully learn something new.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:43:06 pm by KL27x »

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1280 on: February 15, 2020, 10:27:16 pm »
Somebody did: "Except for some communist countries, nobody in the world is using meter as an altitude unit in aviation."

Sweden, and all European countries, use feet.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1281 on: February 16, 2020, 12:48:27 pm »
|O and where in that sentence does it mention Sweden at all? It doesn’t. You’re making a connection where none exists.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1282 on: February 16, 2020, 07:44:31 pm »
Well the world is big.

Only if you use imperial.

Since the world is metric, two people from distant countries with history, culture and language far apart feel at home when they express magnitudes in the universal units of the metric system.

^That's a bit disrepectful.

Is it disrespectful to wish people to be lucky?

"Officially Accepted" means that pragmatic reasons over-rides the purity of the religion.

There's nothing more practical than metric. And that's the "religion". Metric was created because the other systems are not practical, nor universal, nor rational, nor other appreciative adjectives.

Except for some communist countries, nobody in the world is using meter as an altitude unit in aviation.

I always find it amusing that people use feet to measure altitudes due to the inherent difficulty humans have to walk on vertical surfaces.

And communist countries using meters for altitude means that communism is not so bad after all. It's cringe-worthy to know they are ahead of us capitalists and have embraced such a rational system of units while there are people among us still extolling the fictitious "advantages" of the imperial system for aviation.

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1283 on: February 17, 2020, 12:18:41 am »

bsfeechannel, you still are hiding your country.

1/ Which country do you originate from?

2/ In which country are you living?

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Cubdriver

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1284 on: February 17, 2020, 01:05:18 am »
Well the world is big.

Only if you use imperial.

Really? According to calculations, the Earth has a mass of 5.9722×1024 kg. That's in SI units and seems pretty damn big to me.  :-//

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #1285 on: February 17, 2020, 02:05:10 am »

1/ Which country do you originate from?

2/ In which country are you living?

Clues, just watch few of bsfeechannel's videos you will know ;) -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_TLkvfvJ-RN0azJCzuUIoQ/videos

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1286 on: February 17, 2020, 02:23:59 am »
Clues, just watch few of bsfeechannel's videos you will know ;) -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_TLkvfvJ-RN0azJCzuUIoQ/videos

What's up with the gloves and computer voice?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1287 on: February 17, 2020, 03:32:22 am »
I already checked his channel. With id name that includes "eechannel," I figured there would be one. ("BSF" = bit set file/destination, maybe? This is an instruction in PIC assembly, anyhow).

I thought there'd be a way to get some user location info from YT, but if there is, I don't know how. I didn't "watch/listen" to more than a few seconds of any vids, though. I didn't want to know THAT badly.  >:D

I would have guessed central or eastern Europe for a variety of subtle cultural reasons, dunno why. I didn't get the feeling that is was Russia, even before he dropped the hint he lives in a capitalist country. (Is russia communist or capitalist, these days? I'm not even sure.) Just a wild guess out of the hat, playing the lottery, I would have guessed Poland or Chechia or Ukraine, maybe? Don't answer, though. If he doesn't want to say, let people figure it out themselves, the way you did. And after a few seconds of vid, my take is that it is definitely "the hard way."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:48:13 am by KL27x »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1288 on: February 17, 2020, 03:42:19 am »
Ah, that brand of suicide shower is a dead giveaway that it’s Brazil. And one of his suicide shower videos mentions being Brazilian. Luckily I happened upon that segment by random chance, since the robotic voice is quite maddening.

Yes, Brazil, the leading voice in standardization... 😂 🤣

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, Cubdriver

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1289 on: February 17, 2020, 03:47:49 am »
Honestly I was also thinking Brazil. Almost put it in my last post. But you know. Then that dilutes the awesomeness if I guessed right, already. And I noticed that shower, too.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1290 on: February 17, 2020, 06:33:46 am »
Gents, I agree that in some discussions the home country of a poster may provide useful context. And I understand that bsfeechannel's posts in this thread may have annoyed some of you, resulting in an interest to obtain more context.

Nevertheless, I think we should respect bsfeechnnel's wish not to disclose his (or her?) home country. To my knowledge, he has never mentioned it in a post. And the somewhat unusual approach to his Youtube videos suggests that he is concerned about privacy.

May I suggest that you remove the above posts disclosing or speculating about bsfeechannel's home country? It's a very mild form of doxing but I still think it's not appropriate. Thank you!

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, bsfeechannel, Mr. Scram

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1291 on: February 17, 2020, 01:00:15 pm »
Nevertheless, I think we should respect bsfeechnnel's wish not to disclose his (or her?) home country. To my knowledge, he has never mentioned it in a post. And the somewhat unusual approach to his Youtube videos suggests that he is concerned about privacy.

Disagree. The person behind that forum name is criticizing us based on our country's position and stance on the metric system. Therefore, it's entirely appropriate to inquire as to this person's country. If they do not want to give it out, then don't criticize us based on where we live.

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, tooki

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1292 on: February 17, 2020, 03:02:47 pm »
Disagree. The person behind that forum name is criticizing us based on our country's position and stance on the metric system. Therefore, it's entirely appropriate to inquire as to this person's country. If they do not want to give it out, then don't criticize us based on where we live.

Nobody is criticizing you, either personally or "based on where you live". Please don't take this whole thread personally, and don't turn it into a vendetta against any individuals or countries.

I think we have long since concluded that the preference for metric or imperial units in daily life comes largely down to everyone's individual experience, what we grew up with, what we feel comfortable with and have developed a "gut feel" for. There is no argument to be won here. Frankly, I am not sure why this thread is still ongoing. For most posters, it seems to be about the sportsmanship of coming up with another "creative" example, and about having some fun (sometimes at others' expense).

We don't need this to deteriorate into an argument about "the stupid guys from [whatever country]", and all the things they got wrong on other fronts. 

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bsfeechannel, Mr. Scram

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1293 on: February 17, 2020, 03:59:42 pm »

Nobody is criticizing you, either personally or "based on where you live". Please don't take this whole thread personally, and don't turn it into a vendetta against any individuals or countries.

I think we have long since concluded that the preference for metric or imperial units in daily life comes largely down to everyone's individual experience, what we grew up with, what we feel comfortable with and have developed a "gut feel" for. There is no argument to be won here. Frankly, I am not sure why this thread is still ongoing. For most posters, it seems to be about the sportsmanship of coming up with another "creative" example, and about having some fun (sometimes at others' expense).

We don't need this to deteriorate into an argument about "the stupid guys from [whatever country]", and all the things they got wrong on other fronts.

If you have read through the thread you will find that it has already deteriorated into a thread about "the stupid guys from .. "  where you insert USA.  Very close to literally with those words.  I agree that if bfees wants to keep his country secret it is his right and privilege, and thus those who believe they know where he hails from should not reveal it.  But I also believe his willingness to use derogatory language about a wide variety of people while trying to maintain his own privacy is an unethical position, indicative of a certain type of cowardice.  One of the key characteristics of a troll. 

I still find it amusing to read this thread, and occasionally informative.  But I have personally decided to provide no more food for the troll.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Cubdriver, DBecker

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1294 on: February 17, 2020, 07:58:04 pm »
Actually, I thought we (the sensible folks from all countries) had pretty much restored the thread back on track.

Boffin's last post was adding unadulterated observation which showed where metric is better to him, of course. But it was without any hint of derision or judgment if you were to measure it on its own, not aware of his previous posts.

BSFEEchannel has had very little to say, this month. Even his last post was fairly devoid of, well, anything. Just a note to say he's still alive and that he still hates imperial (and everyone who has voiced disagreement with his brand of "logic.") I would have been happier if group-America had completely ignored it. It didn't bother me compared to his past manic episodes.

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1295 on: February 17, 2020, 11:55:10 pm »
Gents, I agree that in some discussions the home country of a poster may provide useful context. And I understand that bsfeechannel's posts in this thread may have annoyed some of you, resulting in an interest to obtain more context.

May I suggest that you remove the above posts disclosing or speculating about bsfeechannel's home country? It's a very mild form of doxing but I still think it's not appropriate. Thank you!

Anonymously bashing a particular country?

Nobody is forced to post on an internet forum.

If a person has a concern about privacy, this person should not post on an internet forum.

:popcorn:

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #1296 on: February 17, 2020, 11:56:28 pm »
thats the voice you run a number station with lol

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1297 on: February 18, 2020, 02:55:07 pm »
BSFEEchannel has had very little to say, this month.

I've been busy. Sorry.

Even his last post was fairly devoid of, well, anything. Just a note to say he's still alive and that he still hates imperial (and everyone who has voiced disagreement with his brand of "logic.").

Logic appeared in the wake of democracy. Since politicians had to persuade the people to vote for them, rhetoric became an art. The most important art of the Graeco-Roman antiquity. However, rhetoric, though a powerful tool to influence and please the audience, could render speeches lacking truth. Philosophers like Aristotle set themselves the task of analyzing the truth of assertions and so logic was born.

What I'm doing here is not "criticizing" the US' "position and stance on the metric system". What I'm doing is trying to determine the truth in the assertions given.

The US is really behind in terms of metrication when compared to the whole world. Metrication there goes at a sluggish--almost indolent--creeping pace. This is a fact. This is true, and is admitted by many in the US. Of course that's an embarrassment. Having two competing systems of units in a globalized world is ridiculous. Especially when one of them is outdated, based on principles and concepts obsoleted long ago.

To mitigate that discomforting predicament, assertions like "the US is metricated where it makes sense", "no country is fully metricated", "metrication is expensive" or "shut up because we landed on the moon" are designed to persuade people inside and outside the US that the state of affairs is not that absurd as it really is.

But we are engineers, and we smell bullshit 20,000 km away. So this kind of argument can't survive here. We like to vapulate them without getting tired, and some of us even do that for a living. Here it is better to admit the truth than try to cover it up with that vacuous rhetoric that no one is buying.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1298 on: February 18, 2020, 03:12:39 pm »
What's up with the gloves and computer voice?  :-//

Thanks for watching.

I wanted to give my videos a timeless character. I didn't want them to get old as I get old. Since I can't afford a narrator, I thought I could use the computer voice. But even I think it sucks. I am kinda shy. I don't like to be filmed or appear in photos, so I find recording my own voice a problem.

I have sweaty hands and I easily leave visible fingerprints all over the objects I touch and that's not very good in video. At first I used white gloves, but they get dirty pretty fast. So I switched to the black ones you see in the videos.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1299 on: February 18, 2020, 04:02:42 pm »
Ah, that brand of suicide shower is a dead giveaway that it’s Brazil. And one of his suicide shower videos mentions being Brazilian. Luckily I happened upon that segment by random chance, since the robotic voice is quite maddening.

Yes, Brazil, the leading voice in standardization...

That reminded me of a passage in the "Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

So if I come here dressed like this no one will believe me.

But if I come dressed like that everybody will accept my report.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf