Author Topic: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?  (Read 36310 times)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Why do I already not like Star Trek Discovery?
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2017, 08:31:21 am »
I didn't mind Harry Mud. But I dislike time travel episodes in *any* series. It's an easy way out for writersblock (see also: parallel universes, 'it was just a dream', etc etc.)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2017, 09:29:47 am »
I don't know how this series has used time travel since I've never watched it, but in all the previous incarnations of Star Trek many of the very best episodes/movies involved time travel.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2017, 11:24:57 am »
I thought bringing back Harry Mudd from TOS was a weak shot, probably hoping to turn over some of the old fans, what a garbage  :palm:

I also did not enjoy the space hobo episode

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline kosacid

• Contributor
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2017, 12:19:14 pm »
when i watched it i though what a rip off, why not call the spores spice and call him a guild navigator "the spice must flow"

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2017, 03:14:08 pm »
Good artists copy.Great artists steal :D

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2017, 09:16:58 pm »
Good artists copy.Great artists steal :D
Great artists create something so new and unseen before that practically no-one can appreciate it at that moment.
Years, even decades later those artists sometimes even when they are already dead are then recognized for their innovative creations inspiring others.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2017, 04:12:02 am »
I find it amazing that people are still fans of ST 50 years later. I watched it when I was kid, and loved every minute of it then.

The ST Continues is the best rehash version that I have seen for the original series, perhaps better in many ways. TOS was so interesting during the time that the country was preparing to go to the moon with all of the test missions in space. I though by the time I am my age that we would have definitely found a way to get to other planets with manned missions, but alas, it didn't happen.

The interesting thing is that I would have never guessed that we would carry around computers that also doubled as phones and cameras that took pictures that you didn't need chemical film to develop on special paper. Instant communication with anyone in the world by tapping out a text and pressing send... wow! Also to get on a network where you could get information and directions anytime, unbelievable! These computers are probably 100 orders of magnitude faster and better than the computers on board the lunar module.

But still no one on Mars yet, although we have some robots out there. Star Trek and the space program had my hopes up that we would be so far advanced in technology by this time that there would be nothing that we couldn't do, yet there are groups of people here and all over still wanting more of the original ST, go figure.

Well, just my 2 cents of thought..
PEACE===>T

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2017, 05:07:57 am »
So, what happened to ST Continues? I just saw that it's ended.

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2017, 10:02:19 pm »

And a good ending too fwiw    :clap: 

I've been waiting around for STD episode 10 to appear...and see where in nowhere the ship ended up (?!)

and after doing a web search, season one only has NINE episodes. STD scripters short on magic mushrooms ?

The Orville season one is up to episode 12 afaik   the 2 bonus episodes trekkie compensation for the toilet humor BS and many dumbass lines?

If you like spaceships and serious galactic badass, Killjoys, Dark Matter, The Expanse and of course Firefly/Serenity will keep you busy and distracted till next years STD and Orville come back

maybe    :-//

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2017, 10:27:32 pm »

I've been waiting around for STD episode 10 to appear...and see where in nowhere the ship ended up (?!)

and after doing a web search, season one only has NINE episodes. STD scripters short on magic mushrooms ?

The Orville season one is up to episode 12 afaik   the 2 bonus episodes trekkie compensation for the toilet humor BS and many dumbass lines?

If you like spaceships and serious galactic badass, Killjoys, Dark Matter, The Expanse and of course Firefly/Serenity will keep you busy and distracted till next years STD and Orville come back

maybe    :-//

That's because you're looking for an episode whose release date is in the future. So unless you have a time machine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery#Episodes

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: December 14, 2017, 05:19:54 am »

Yep. The good stuff always ends too soon.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2017, 09:36:33 pm »

Multiple reasons from what I understand. I know they didn't raise as much money as they were hoping with the last round of crowdfunding. There had been a bunch of legal drama over a fan film called Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar that resulted in a lawsuit & Paramount/CBS creating new guidelines for fan films that kinda eliminate any projects of the scale of ST:C. I'm disappointed, but we're really only cut short 2 episodes. The original plan was to make 13, but we got 11 total. Sad that such an amazing set is just sitting there unused. 

Here's the fan film guidelines:
http://www.startrek.com/fan-films

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2017, 09:41:13 pm »
Thanks for the info, gnav. It's also a shame that Paramount/CBS couldn't find a way to do more with ST:C. As you said, all the sets are there. I'm glad we got what we did, though.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2018, 09:51:16 pm »
Spoilers...
You've been warned.

So we are already at the mirror universe episodes? Really? In season 1? They usually go to mirror universe in season n+1 after fatigue playing the same character over and over again, to have some fun, before they cancel the show.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2018, 10:09:47 pm »
Thus, it may be a foreshadowing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2018, 10:45:27 pm »
I was never into Star Trek when I was younger but after watching all of the original series a few years ago I started working my way through the newer ones and enjoyed all of them. I'm currently about halfway though Enterprise and find that disappointing though, it's like New Coke, trying to appeal to a broader audience and generally failing while also failing with fans of the previous series. The theme song is absolutely awful, every time it comes on we scramble for the remote to skip past it. I have not seen Discovery yet but given the direction TV as a whole has gone in recent years I'm skeptical.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2018, 11:13:23 pm »
And at this point, all the terran empire ships have female captains. 2/2. I cannot wait until they introduce Emperor Georgiou. Since they run out of characters that appear on the show, must be her. And the klingon empire shall be led by L’Rell of course. All we need is an all woman away team beating up klingons. Wait, we already had that.
Stupid directing.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2018, 11:33:08 pm »
I'm currently about halfway though Enterprise and find that disappointing though, it's like New Coke, trying to appeal to a broader audience and generally failing while also failing with fans of the previous series. The theme song is absolutely awful, every time it comes on we scramble for the remote to skip past it.

They definitely did a weird thing with Enterprise's theme song. I know a lot of other people love the Firefly theme, but it's even worse to me. I can't get into Discovery & it's not worth the effort at this point. I wish Farscape would have a comeback instead of these reimaginings of Star Trek, but I can't imagine tv execs going for it.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2018, 11:49:40 pm »
I was never into Star Trek when I was younger but after watching all of the original series a few years ago I started working my way through the newer ones and enjoyed all of them.... I have not seen Discovery yet but given the direction TV as a whole has gone in recent years I'm skeptical.

Definitely check out Star Trek Continues on YouTube, then. The series is done, so no waiting, and they just recently uploaded higher-resolution versions of all the episodes.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2018, 12:00:23 am »

Definitely check out Star Trek Continues on YouTube, then. The series is done, so no waiting, and they just recently uploaded higher-resolution versions of all the episodes.

They've also added DVD & Blu-ray torrents as well as artwork to make your own complete series box sets!

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2018, 12:17:44 am »
They definitely did a weird thing with Enterprise's theme song. I know a lot of other people love the Firefly theme, but it's even worse to me. I can't get into Discovery & it's not worth the effort at this point. I wish Farscape would have a comeback instead of these reimaginings of Star Trek, but I can't imagine tv execs going for it.

I can't figure out what they were thinking, and I'm not even sure why it makes me cringe so much, I mean if the same song came on the radio I probably wouldn't mind it, I wouldn't turn it up but I don't think I'd turn it down either. There's just something that feels *so* wrong about it though in context, it's like biting into a gingerbread cookie and finding it's actually made of garlic sausage. I like garlic sausage, but not when I'm expecting a cookie. The closing theme during the credits would have done just fine as an opening theme.

Then when it comes to the show itself, it's ok, but I find the character drama is often overdone and over acted. Another thing that bugs me about all of the series is that they regularly send the most important crewmembers on ridiculously dangerous away missions. I understand why they do that for plot reasons but it still bugs me, like why is the captain going on on this crazy suicide task rather than any number of able volunteers from the crew?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2018, 12:50:31 am »

They've also added DVD & Blu-ray torrents as well as artwork to make your own complete series box sets!

Thanks, I didn't see those. Here's a link if others are also interested. http://www.startrekcontinues.com/downloads.html

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2019, 07:28:54 pm »
I would like to change my opinion. The show was really enjoyable in the 2nd season.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2019, 07:42:52 pm »
I'm currently about halfway though Enterprise and find that disappointing though, it's like New Coke, trying to appeal to a broader audience and generally failing while also failing with fans of the previous series. The theme song is absolutely awful, every time it comes on we scramble for the remote to skip past it.

Babylon 5! I don't mind more Star Trek though, if they do it right.

In previous ST the opening was always about exploration, but for some reason they changed that in Discovery. I guess they are trying to make something new that appeals more to millennials.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2019, 07:46:39 pm »
I would like to change my opinion. The show was really enjoyable in the 2nd season.
I agree but somehow I like 'The Orville' a little bit better. It has a more Star-Trek-ish feel to it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf