Author Topic: Why do digital multimeters not have zero-blanking?  (Read 16801 times)

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
Re: Why do digital multimeters not have zero-blanking?
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2017, 02:06:46 am »
I just hope there is no thousand separation. Nothing is more confusing as jumping between equipment . and , radixes and . and , thousand separation.. :palm:

There is lots of great equipment out there, but only few have really good UI.. 99% of times it sucks. Why internet sites used to have sidebar on left?? Most people have stronger visual reception on right side.Also modern designers have ZERO understanding of concrpt of contrast.  ..or travel and realestate analysis.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:20:41 am by Vtile »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2017, 09:42:36 am »
I don't think you understand the value of visual placeholders. They reduce cognitive load, not increase it, because they let you know exactly what you're not seeing, which is often easier than seeing. (Do you drive a car? If so, then you'll know how the purpose of glancing in your mirrors isn't actually to see what's there, but rather to verify what isn't there: another car.)

Based on your reasoning I should see placeholders for cars which aren't there, just to make sure that I'm able to see something in case a car would turn up suddenly. Yeah, that really helps with driving :scared:

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2017, 01:30:51 pm »
Based on your reasoning I should see placeholders for cars which aren't there, just to make sure that I'm able to see something in case a car would turn up suddenly. Yeah, that really helps with driving :scared:

You could have grayed out silhouettes of vehicles etched onto all your cars windows, so that you always know what to keep a look out for.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2017, 07:45:19 pm »
I don't think you understand the value of visual placeholders. They reduce cognitive load, not increase it, because they let you know exactly what you're not seeing, which is often easier than seeing. (Do you drive a car? If so, then you'll know how the purpose of glancing in your mirrors isn't actually to see what's there, but rather to verify what isn't there: another car.)

Based on my reasoning (and not your deliberately obtuse reimagination of it), the point is that you can glance at the mirror and see the "blank" mirror (showing just the road), versus a mirror with things in it (cars that you don't want to crash into). You're not actually looking at the mirror to look at the cars; you glance at it to verify quickly that it's "empty".

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2017, 07:49:58 pm »
No meter I have ever used shows an annunciation for positive values, only for negative. No need to clutter the screen with them for positives.

Displaying both + and - for DC measurements distinguishes them from AC measurements which have no polarity.  If I see 1.23 volts, is that positive DC or AC?
I suppose, but doesn't your meter already have an annunciatior for AC? The Fluke 87V (as well as my K2015) for example shows VDC and VAC to the right of the number, while the Keysight U1252B displays a ~ to the left of the number when in AC. (My K197 shows the tilde and AC when in AC.)

Now, we do still need to deal with those negative ohms, though! ;)

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2017, 08:57:34 pm »
Displaying both + and - for DC measurements distinguishes them from AC measurements which have no polarity.  If I see 1.23 volts, is that positive DC or AC?

I suppose, but doesn't your meter already have an annunciatior for AC? The Fluke 87V (as well as my K2015) for example shows VDC and VAC to the right of the number, while the Keysight U1252B displays a ~ to the left of the number when in AC. (My K197 shows the tilde and AC when in AC.)

Older meters commonly lack additional indicators besides the digits, decimal points, and +/- sign.

My newer but old Beckman displays +/- in DC modes and a ~ in AC modes.  My newer Tektronix DMM916 displays AC, DC, and AC+DC as needed and a - for negative but never a +.  My older meters only have +/- to distinguish AC and DC like I described.

Of the above, only the DMM916 has leading zero suppression and when this is done, the - sign stays stuck at the left most side of the display.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2017, 09:05:45 pm »
Just found out that Advantest/ADCMT bench multimeters blank zeros !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf