Author Topic: Which is currently being taught; electron flow or conventional flow?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline W9GFOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
When discussing something like how current travels through a transistor do professors and/or people in the industry describe the behavior in terms of electron flow or in conventional flow? I know that the difference between electron flow and conventional flow is taught, but if the flow type is not specified how do you know which is being used?

I came across some course material that described the operation of an NPN transistor in the same way that I would expect a PNP transistor to be described - I thought that it was an error, however it was intentional. Depending upon which flow the describing person is using, either could be correct. If the type of flow is not specified, which is the correct one to use?

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
Re: Which is currently being taught; electron flow or conventional flow?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:54:47 pm »
I expect to see conventional at the level of engineering. The boundary generally lies somewhere in the domain of physics. Conventional current is a useful and consistent abstraction; for instance, it cleanly bundles together all charge carriers, including protons, electron holes, etc.

Of course, the difference absolutely needs to be taught.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, KL27x, newbrain, Paul Ed

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 10:21:24 pm »
When discussing something like how current travels through a transistor do professors and/or people in the industry describe the behavior in terms of electron flow or in conventional flow? I know that the difference between electron flow and conventional flow is taught, but if the flow type is not specified how do you know which is being used?

It depends on the context. If studying engineering at professional level (bachelors, masters or above) then the question will not be important and will not be worthy of discussion. Quite simply voltage has increasing positive potential when measured from more positive to less positive, and current has a tendency to flow with a positive sign from points with a more positive potential to points with a less positive potential. All equations and calculations will be based on this standard convention.

The idea of electron flow or conventional flow may be taught in elementary classes in high school to give students a grounding in atomic theory, but once introduced it will soon be left behind.

Semiconductor physicists of course are in different world and know exactly what they are doing, but their work is in a specialized domain and is not relevant to general education.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 10:25:34 pm »
I came across some course material that described the operation of an NPN transistor in the same way that I would expect a PNP transistor to be described - I thought that it was an error, however it was intentional. Depending upon which flow the describing person is using, either could be correct. If the type of flow is not specified, which is the correct one to use?

That image you posted seems incorrect. An NPN transistor will be biased towards the on state when a positive voltage appears at the base relative to the emitter and consequently a positive current will flow into the transistor at the base.

It is best to ignore such materials as that one that seem written to confuse people.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 03:42:01 am »
Does the Navy still do electron flow?  Even if not, you'll likely find plenty of old material from when they did.

It doesn't actually matter, as long as it's consistent.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 05:42:52 am »
If this is a vote, I'd say the descriptions in your upload/link are whack. Conventional current should be understood as the defacto, unless otherwise specified. And in this case it has not been otherwise specified.

Doesn't matter which way the electrons go. The current is positive to negative, by convention. They could specify by saying electron flow rather than current.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:50:13 am by KL27x »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 03:18:24 pm »
Doesn't matter which way the electrons go. The current is positive to negative, by convention. They could specify by saying electron flow rather than current.
And they would still be wrong because half of the time it's the holes that make all the difference ;D

Teaching this electron current convention and pretending that it's the norm is totally :horse: at this point.
Why is the arrow pointing outwards if you say it's a small current flowing from E to B, huh? |O

Offline ocw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 03:56:10 pm »
Electronics 101:  Electronic current flow is from positive to negative since this is what the first people working with electronics (do not say 'incorrectly") speculated.  In tubes, the filament attracts "positrons" being emitted from the plate.

Electronics 301:  We lied to you in Electronics 101 about electric current, forget everything which we taught you, here is what is actually true...

Continuing a lie because it was once thought true (the earth is flat) does not make sense.  Long ago, in my early teens, I could handle electron flow, holes (a missing electron moving, not protrons), etc. from the beginning of my electronic education.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 04:29:08 pm »
Why are Native Americans still called "Indians"?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 05:39:29 pm »
For as long as I can remember I have been taught that in an NPN transistor current enters the base and collector and flows out of the emitter. This implies that current flow is positive to negative.

However, the cathode in a vacuum tube emits electrons which then flow through the grid)s) to the anode, meaning that in a vacuum tube circuit the flow is from negative to positive.

I shall therefore carry on working with transistors.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:46:47 pm by German_EE »
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 06:05:58 pm »
There's a reason it's called "conventional flow".

Every EE knows that electrons actually flow from negative to positive but in most cases conventional flow is used because it's the convention. When you are designing or analyzing a circuit it doesn't matter which way the electrons are flowing since you can't see them anyway. Pretend they are flowing from positive to negative because that's how all of the schematic symbols are defined. If you're working with vacuum tubes it may be helpful to think in terms of electron flow but how many people are doing that anymore? Those that are already know.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, newbrain

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 06:08:40 pm »
Every EE knows that electrons actually flow from negative to positive but in most cases conventional flow is used because it's the convention. When you are designing or analyzing a circuit it doesn't matter which way the electrons are flowing since you can't see them anyway.

Fully agree. ;D
The rest is just wank.
(Of course the basics still need to be known, but as you said, that doesn't serve any purpose when analyzing a circuit.)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 07:18:12 pm »
Some day I want to do some glassblowing and make a proton tube.  I don't think much of a "space charge" can be made (we must start with neutral dihydrogen, so on the order of >13.6eV is required to do anything; the resulting "virtual anode" will be about as hot), which will greatly limit available current (and perveance), but other than that, the transconductance and transit time should be perceptibly, and proportionally, worsened (i.e., by ~2000x).  Transit time is typically a few ns for electron types, so at some µs, it will be obvious on the oscilloscope.

Tim

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 06:48:42 pm »
There's a reason it's called "conventional flow".

Every EE knows that electrons actually flow from negative to positive but in most cases conventional flow is used because it's the convention.
Well, like pretty much every other EE I was taught somewhere around day 1 that I = Q/t.  Hence, positive current is a positive charge flow.  Because electrons are negatively charged they flow in a direction opposite to the current.  Signs matter.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 07:12:16 pm »
A 'hole' is a missing electron.  If a hole flows, it will be in the conventional, or positive direction.  However, a hole isn't something tangible - it's something missing.  In order for a hole to move, an electron has to fill the hole from somewhere else, and thus it's still electron flow.  After all, a vacuum cleaner doesn't suck, it simply moves air in such a way as to cause atmospheric pressure to move air in a desired direction.

Having said all that, as an engineer I have always used conventional current.  I had to change, as my college classes required it.  It's never caused a problem, and I automatically think in terms of conventional current.  That allows me to analyze and design with PNP or NPN for instance.

About the only time it feels right to work with electron flow is when analyzing the inner workings of a vacuum tube.  Which way does current flow in a voltage regulator tube or a neon bulb?

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 07:23:27 pm »
1:Why was schematics drawn the conventional way and not the unconventional way whos the right way?
2:Why do American Indians get angry when labelled Native Americans? despite Vikings saw them before Christopher Columbus!?
3:Why is electrons described as ball to fill a hole when physics describe electrons to be everywhere and nowhere orbiting around the nucleus?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 08:10:26 pm »
Why do American Indians get angry when labelled Native Americans? despite Vikings saw them before Christopher Columbus!?
Things are going to get interesting with the rise of (actual) Indians in the US. How would you describe their children? They're genetically Indians, but they're born in the US.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 01:29:45 am »
Things are going to get interesting with the rise of (actual) Indians in the US. How would you describe their children? They're genetically Indians, but they're born in the US.

Wouldn't they just be "Americans"?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 01:49:50 am »
If you ask them what they prefer to be called, they'll say "Indians".

Tim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 02:31:19 am »
Interesting. But perhaps it is Australia that is the odd one out, since official documents here don't ask about race ... at most it's country of birth.

(The one exception to this policy is Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders, who make up about 3% of the population. The census, university applications, etc. do specifically ask about these two ethnicities. Members of these groups seem much more likely to identify as such, though that doesn't mean there's any causal relationship, as the situation is roughly as complex as that of Native Americans in the US.)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 03:21:51 am »
This thread had better stay on topic...

The following users thanked this post: German_EE, newbrain

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 09:43:46 am »
And they would still be wrong because half of the time it's the holes that make all the difference ;D

Teaching this electron current convention and pretending that it's the norm is totally :horse: at this point.
Why is the arrow pointing outwards if you say it's a small current flowing from E to B, huh? |O

"Holes" are a useful fiction describing the supposed flow of the place where an electron formerly was----in the opposite direction to the direction in which the displaced electron travels.

It is not usual to refer to "holes" when describing current flow in conductors.

The "arrow" points outwards because it follows the convention set up in the early days of electronics, which used "Conventional Current Flow".
The convention for drawing CCF is with the arrow point pointing away from the more positive side of the circuit, & towards the more negative side.

How does a vacuum tube work, using CCF, huh?

Offline sibeen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2020, 10:24:48 am »
Does the Navy still do electron flow?  Even if not, you'll likely find plenty of old material from when they did.

It doesn't actually matter, as long as it's consistent.

Tim

Below is the response I gave in a recent thread about sign. It's not just the US navy that goes down this route, I started in electronics in the Oz army. :

I had to think about this and grinned to myself when reading this as I suspect that I change which way I define the direction depending upon which day of the week it is. This may be a result of my electrical education. I started out with a four year apprenticeship as an electronics tech in the late 70s. The interesting tidbit is that military techs, at least in the English speaking portion of the world, get taught electron flow. I've never been able to track down the why of that and it's always interested me as to why that occurred. A few years later I decided to go down the university route and was taught the correct conventional current flow.

Still to this day when I'm looking at a circuit I'll revert to electron flow and this occasionally causes consternation with people I'm showing the workings to as "I'm doing it wrong" only to be a tad bemused when my answer turns out to be the correct one.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2020, 03:17:45 pm »
Still to this day when I'm looking at a circuit I'll revert to electron flow and this occasionally causes consternation with people I'm showing the workings to as "I'm doing it wrong" only to be a tad bemused when my answer turns out to be the correct one.[/i]

The whole point of "conventional" is to make things understandable and unambiguous to all. I'm not sure what kind of fun you'd find in not following the most usual convention just to feel "correct" (whereas, as some have explained above, correct here is just another convention anyway, but as the above sentence shows  - it was consterning people - a much less common convention in this particular context).

Probably gives some a feeling of superiority. Oh well. As long as the design and analysis is correct, who cares? Have you actually seen an electron yet? ;D

Oh, but one common situation where conventions can still be mixed up is with some electronic symbols such as transistors. MOS transistors, for instance, are usually represented with the arrow in the opposite direction depending - usually - on whether the symbol is meant as a "raw" transistor (on microelectronics schematics for instance) or as a discrete one...

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2020, 03:39:01 pm »
In a similar vein there is something that I need help with

An NPN transistor is used in a negative ground circuit and the transistor symbol has the arrow pointing AWAY from the device

AN N-Channel MOSFET is used in a negative ground circuit and the MOSFET symbol has the arrow pointing TOWARDS the device.

Please could someone explain what is going on here?
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf