Author Topic: How to design a “High-voltage, low-speed digital output driver”?  (Read 676 times)

Offline desertTopic starter

• Contributor
“High-voltage, low-speed digital output driver” basic specifications:
Voltage level range: -60V~+60V
Maximum voltage swing: 30V
Maximum voltage slew rate: 70V/us
Driver current: 45mA
Maximum output data rate: 5Mbps@5V swing; 2.5Mbps@10V swing; 1Mbps@20V swing; 200Kbps@30V swing
Minimum pulsed width:       200ns@5V swing; 400ns@10V swing;     1us@20V swing;     4.5us@30V swing

My problem is that: pin driver (for example EL7156) can not meet voltage range and voltage swing requirement; high-performance OPA (LTC6090) can not meet slew rate and data rate requirement.

Any suggestions on solution and key components? Thanks.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: How to design a “High-voltage, low-speed digital output driver”?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 01:41:28 am »
70 volts/microsecond is not particularly demanding, and the high voltage output means that an operational amplifier can operate with a minimum stable gain, so for simplicity I might use an operational amplifier with a separate fast fixed gain output stage.  The fixed gain of the output stage multiplies the slew rate of the operational amplifier.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 09:20:16 am »
load? R/L/C?
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 11:02:31 am »
High speed half bridge driver, maybe use an actual isolated power supply between the switch node and the bootstrap instead of relying on the bootstrap diode, so it can support extreme duty cycles.

PS. guess you'll need a level shifter too since the half bridge driver will be using negative rail as its ground and the input will presumably be referenced to 0V, but ehh how hard can it be?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 11:25:35 am by Marco »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf