Author Topic: Your view?  (Read 28985 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Your view?
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2015, 12:04:02 pm »
Don't expect it back, not don't give the money. If you know she has a substance abuse problem pay the bill or do the grocery shopping as well. I don't have to worry about the last though.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2015, 11:54:38 pm »
There are 7B people in the world. Expect diversity, just as we have it here.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2015, 02:09:07 am »
But why do you care? That's what I'm getting at. Do you think she is representative of something, or just enjoy being mildly enraged, or... What's the purpose?

It's a topic that was raised, this is a forum, it gets discussed.
Why do you care?

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2015, 08:30:03 am »
That's what I'm asking about, why do people raise it, why do people like to discuss it? Why are these kinds of stories so popular. Obviously there is the click-bait factor on many "news" web sites, but it goes beyond that with people re-posting on forums and Facebook etc. The psychology of it is fascinating.
I think these stories mostly get published to entertain those who just like to be angry. However, as you go through a life that's relatively sanely run, its important to be kept aware of the bizarre range of things other people do. Without that, you will have no clue how society should be run, or why there is substantial support for some very odd choices about how society is being run.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2015, 01:46:02 pm »

That's what I'm asking about, why do people raise it, why do people like to discuss it? Why are these kinds of stories so popular. Obviously there is the click-bait factor on many "news" web sites, but it goes beyond that with people re-posting on forums and Facebook etc. The psychology of it is fascinating.

These kinds of stories make people feel better about themselves, their lives are not that screwed up. Most people like to think that in some way, shape, or form, they are better than a segment of the population. This story and others like it fill that need.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2015, 02:04:03 pm »

Reminds me of a quote I heard from the host of that Amazing Race TV show. People keep coming up to him and telling them how good they'd be at it because of blah-blah and they should be on the next show. His response is something like "you don't get it, we don't want people who are good at it, no one would want to watch you."
He's bang-on.

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2015, 10:10:10 pm »

re: "That's what I'm asking about, why do people raise it, why do people like to discuss it?"

I am the one who raise it initially.  My reason is as follow:

My daughter is approaching college age. My view is "people placing no value on something free."  So, since elementary school, I have set her expectation that for college she will be contributing >50% $-share of her own education. 

Without going into details; since her early age, me and my wife have always "make it happen" for her.  We have done whatever we could to give her a superb education and set her on a good path so far.  Once she is away for college and away from our influence, last thing I want her to have is an entitlement attitude like Kim.

At times, I feel I am too harsh.  At time, I feel I am on the right track.  So, I posted this Kim's story as a conversation starter.  Her parent's experience is the kind of nightmare I am trying to avoid.  Not the dollars per-se but the attitude.  The attitude that leads to a degree but no marketable skills.

I went to college over 30 years ago.  I worked through college and then graduate school.  Giving up a professional photographer job and instead wait on tables while in college was difficult but I made it through.  But I know today's environment is a good bit different.  Loans are more available these days, and jobs are not. So my 30 year+ ago experience may be inapplicable or perhaps even inappropriate today.

Many here graduated college more recent than I.  Many here went through the same thought process about their kid's college education as I am starting to now.  So, my goal is to hear the diverse and thoughtful views from members of this forum.  As I said, do a sanity check.

So, I carefully read about the snares, the laughter, the objections, and all the views in between just to compare notes.

I must add, so far, I feel more reaffirmed than I was.

(Thanks for all your input)

Rick

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2015, 10:31:59 pm »

My daughter is approaching college age. My view is "people placing no value on something free."

I'm in the UK and all of my education (except my first trip to uni) has been handed to me on a silver platter. I still always appreciated it and saw it's worth. Some people appreciate certain things no matter what, other's don't. Just ask yourself this, does your daughter love learning that there's more to know? If that's so, even if her choice of subject isn't what you'd have hoped for, she'll appreciate higher education even if it was just something that everybody had to do and do something with it given the chance.

So my 30 year+ ago experience may be inapplicable or perhaps even inappropriate today.

The having to work through uni etc for me was reversed, my grandparents didn't have to, my parents did if they wanted to party, I had to. The answer to that one is simply is that level of education more necessary to her chosen field than work experience? If degrees aren't important and experience is maybe that isn't the right route for her?

EDIT: Sorry but my main point was can you not trust your daughter, or can you not bring yourself to trust her?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:47:53 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2015, 12:57:49 am »
Rick, I understand where you are coming from.  The first time I went to college (more than 30 years ago) I had a free ride, my parents weren't well off and I had good enough grades in high school to earn a complete scholarship with some money in my pocket from the work study program that was part of my scholarship.  I completely wasted it.  Went from Accounting Honors program to a BS in business management.  I had the equivalent of minors in accounting and economics since my school didn't offer minor degrees.  I didn't have a stellar GPA by any stretch.  Because my parents weren't well educated, they were unable to provide the guidance I really needed, that and a very long, losing battle with cancer my Mother fought throughout my teenage years and I basically grew up on my own.  I didn't appreciate the opportunity I had.  Twenty-three years later and I went back in school, completely different career, on my dime with student loans. I appreciated it much more and graduated Salutatorian, the one who beat me by the barest of margins has since become my best friend and my brother from another mother. 

I think you have done the right thing.  She will appreciate the help she gets and the opportunities you and your wife have afforded her.  Don't stray from the path you set.  She will be a truly productive member of society and not one of the entitlement grievance crowd that want everything handed to them on someone else's dime.  TBH, I wish my dearly departed parents could have been more like you and your wife.  Don't get me wrong, I love them and respect them for what they accomplished with what they had to work with.  Some better guidance and I have no doubt that my life probably would have been a lot different.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2015, 02:50:54 am »
EDIT: Sorry but my main point was can you not trust your daughter, or can you not bring yourself to trust her?

It is not being able to trust myself in having done the best job I can.

I know that the moment she walks out the door and closes the door behind her to departing to her college campus, I will think of something I wish I have discussed with her - had I thought of it sooner.

I am keenly aware that bad influences and temptations are aplenty.  While "under the parent's wings", me or my wife will always pull her back when she went astray.  When she is somewhere at college a few hundred or even a few thousand miles away, the only ones who will put her well being beyond their own would be a few hundred or even a few thousand miles away.

So, while I still have control, I just want to ensure I steer her just right - the best I can.  I was teasing for input with the original post to see what thoughts other may have.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2015, 03:21:37 am »
I think you have done the right thing. 
TBH, I wish my dearly departed parents could have been more like you and your wife.  Don't get me wrong, I love them and respect them for what they accomplished with what they had to work with.  Some better guidance and I have no doubt that my life probably would have been a lot different.

You know, GreyWoolfe, I think your parent probably were doing exactly that:  Doing everything they could to make sure you have the best shot in life.  In the end, it seem like they succeeded in helping you have fruitful life.

As to "I think you have done the right thing."   I can only hope...  The world out there is getting freaky.  People like Kim would not have the nerve to call a talk show in the days I was in college.  They would just hunker down and work it out while deal with the shame in private.

The more freaky the world gets, the less confident I am about my approach...  I am no longer sure really if "hard work pays", all the while I am pushing her to work as hard as she can...

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2015, 09:47:46 pm »
My view is "people placing no value on something free."
That certainly is a valid danger.
My parents solved that by supporting me monthly with the same amount of money, which poorer kids got from a government subsidary programm.
It was enough to study more or less comfortable but not enough to party every weekend or waste it thoughtless...
For the little extras in life, like my electronics hobby, I got myself a job at university, at my department, which also furthered my academic education.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:57:03 pm by XynxNet »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf