Author Topic: What this "BNC Jack to BNC Plug Adapter" is used for?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline gamalotTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
What this "BNC Jack to BNC Plug Adapter" is used for?
« on: August 10, 2024, 11:38:22 am »
I am curious what this "BNC Jack to BNC Plug Adapter" is used for?

https://www.amphenolrf.com/112667.html

Offline squadchannel

• Regular Contributor
  • deepl translate user
Re: What this "BNC Jack to BNC Plug Adapter" is used for?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2024, 11:47:54 am »
It doesn't seem to be a feed-through terminator, so I'm not sure. :-//

MOD:
I wonder if this is for a BNC connector directly from the internal unit to the outside of the enclosure. This may reduce losses since no cables are used.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 11:52:08 am by squadchannel »

The following users thanked this post: Qw3rtzuiop

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2024, 11:53:03 am »
I can envision a few uses:
1. Port saver. For some jack that gets plugged/unplugged constantly, leave the extender on the device so it wears out, and once it does, just replace the extender.
2. Connecting things without cables. Lots of things like filters, amplifiers and attenuators, exist as little metal boxes for inline use, with a male BNC on one side and a female on the other. To connect those directly onto the input of a piece of test gear, you might need a few cm of extension to get around the case or knobs or something.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2024, 12:25:10 pm »
Tooki is on the money with a port / connector / pin saver. On equipment which sees a lot of mating cycles, you install sacrificial male/female adapters so the connectors in the equipment itself doesn't wear out.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2024, 01:18:03 pm »

Tooki is on the money with a port / connector / pin saver. On equipment which sees a lot of mating cycles, you install sacrificial male/female adapters so the connectors in the equipment itself doesn't wear out.
yes a sacrificial port saver. For some jack that gets plugged & unplugged constantly.
I use a USB extension as a port saver on my TV  for daily portable HDD use.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2024, 08:35:12 am »
yes a sacrificial port saver. For some jack that gets plugged & unplugged constantly. I use a USB extension as a port saver on my TV  for daily portable HDD use.

Both Samsung phones I've had, S7 & S8, have had the USB connector fail. Had I known I would have glued with hot glue a pigtail in place.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2024, 12:41:52 pm »
yes a sacrificial port saver. For some jack that gets plugged & unplugged constantly. I use a USB extension as a port saver on my TV  for daily portable HDD use.

Both Samsung phones I've had, S7 & S8, have had the USB connector fail. Had I known I would have glued with hot glue a pigtail in place.

This is precisely why I use wireless charging where possible. I recall someone one told me this was a silly idea; Not only can it prolong battery life (limited currant charging) but ports do wear out.

The following users thanked this post: Geoff-AU

Offline Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2024, 01:42:03 pm »
Many laboratory devices also have recessed sockets when inside a 19"-cabinet or other modular crate. Sometimes having 3cm more makes a big difference.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2024, 02:38:55 pm »

Not sure whether the connector would have better chances of survival if you keep carrying the phone around with a 3 cm lever permanently installed in the USB port?

I guess it's a gamble: Either slowly wear off the contacts by frequent plugging and unplugging, or catastrophically break the plastic tab in the connector (or tear the whole connector off the PCB) when the plug gets caught on something... 

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2024, 02:40:46 pm »

That’s almost guaranteed to be worse, because you now have a big lever attached to the port at all times.

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2024, 02:59:04 pm »
This is precisely why I use wireless charging where possible. I recall someone one told me this was a silly idea; Not only can it prolong battery life (limited currant charging) but ports do wear out.

Same here.  I get rubber port covers and leave them in the USB-C port.  This protected it from lint and dust so that on the rare occasion when I need the USB port it is clean and functional.  USB-C is definitely an improvement over micro-B in terms of longevity but it can still wear out.

The following users thanked this post: Geoff-AU

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2024, 01:09:36 am »
A delay line; approximately 127 ps!

Based on a 2/3s factor of the speed of light in a vacuum. That is a common factor for coaxial cable.

But more likely used as a connector protector.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 01:14:09 am by EPAIII »
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2024, 08:30:53 pm »

The S7 at the end would only charge via wireless and I had to download photos via Bluetooth. I did not mind the wireless charging so much but the BT was a PITA and I could not use a protective cover.

Now I am using the S8 and same thing, the reason I do not use wireless charging is because I want to use the protective cover.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2024, 02:34:35 am »
Protect your holes!

Anyway if >1GHz makes perfectly sense... for scopes inputs... I would not do it.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2024, 03:18:19 am »
i would say port saver for sure .... i use N-types models to save the connectors on Siglent and Rigols spectrum analyzers ...

and N-type to BNC and N-type to SMA, after 300 inserts i dump them and put a new port saver ....

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2024, 10:44:26 am »
"Ports do wear out"

With over 45 years of professional use of BNC connectors (over 57 years if you count my retirement) I have NEVER seen a BNC jack wear out. I have seen some that were ripped from the PCB but worn out? NO! To me it looks like a lever arm to amplify any sudden force coming from the cable that someone tripped on. That would make things worse, not better.

I don't know about some of the modern, ultra miniature jacks on things like cell phones. But I suspect they last longer than the cell phone itself does.

I think this is a solution looking for a problem - that it won't ever find.

Of course, YMMV.

Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf