Author Topic: What is your EEVblog forum routine???......  (Read 1435 times)

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
What is your EEVblog forum routine???......
« on: November 05, 2022, 08:26:44 pm »
What's your forum routine?

I hit "Show new replies to your posts" 100% of visits....
Then "Show unread posts since last visit" 40% of visits....
And only go randomly browse specific sections like 5% of visits....

I can't imagine what Dave's "Show new replies to your posts." list looks like.  Probably a full time job just going through that.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
Re: What is your EEVblog forum routine???......
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 01:31:51 am »
Uhhh HEY ? Wheres THE REPLIES to this, ...you'd think folks would jump on this question.

First thing I check, is my thread, getting very little attention, but I don't tolerate much self-pity there.
Funny thing, I know the 'shape' that unwanted thread makes...4th or 5th down the list of recent posts, and no {NEW} icon next to it.  Sigh...let's see, "ah! another 3 views".  The viewer thing helps the ego somewhat.
I need to try harder, like some 2nd string actor or neglected 'comedian'.  But cut the self-pity, I surmise; getting a popular thread going takes a lot, plus special sauce.
   Second priority: It's best to go to BEGINNERS section,
because, for one thing, you'd want those 'beginners' to have longevity, on eevblog.  Another thing, it lessens the separation or perceived separation, between a PHD (Astronaut Class), and the high-rise building janitor / technician (blue collar class).  I got some advantage, schoolin, and don't mind sharing, as some are self-taught in poverty.

Anyway, I love the product reviews / tear downs.
Like some of the contorted/torturous debates around 'grounds' and proper (endless) rules and theories...and all the while 'knowing' that some portion of that grounding ritual is solid science.
   It's generally a well monitored and balanced deal, spending (too much, lol) time learning on eevblog.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 02:00:29 am »

Check.

Then "Show unread posts since last visit"

Check.

Next I review recently posted pics of my projects to see how many views,  to gauge interest.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Psi

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 06:49:21 am »
Yep, check replies to "your posts" first and only read the ones still of interest, then unread posts since last visit. Skim the list and read the ones of interest. Then mark all as read.

Post in threads where I have something to add, or joke about. Got to have humor don't we  :-DD

Funny thing, I know the 'shape' that unwanted thread makes...4th or 5th down the list of recent posts, and no {NEW} icon next to it.  Sigh...let's see, "ah! another 3 views".  The viewer thing helps the ego somewhat.
I need to try harder, like some 2nd string actor or neglected 'comedian'.  But cut the self-pity, I surmise; getting a popular thread going takes a lot, plus special sauce.

For a popular thread you need some topic of every bodies interest. Fixing up some old scope seems to have that quality. Playing around with solar powered garden lights or reverse engineering a FPGA apparently don't have that quality. :)

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 01:19:37 am »
Oh man, I need to add this to my routine..... Can't believe I've never seen this...

This page shows what all the active users are looking at RIGHT NOW!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/who/

Offline SmallCog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 01:52:36 am »
I'm very analogue

I blindly poke my nose into random sections whilst eating my lunch.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, TomKatt

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 05:45:47 am »
Cleaning up after the spammers.

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, thm_w, newbrain, pqass, pcprogrammer

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 03:37:45 pm »
This is borderline creepy!
I directed HwAoRrDk to check one of my old posts this morning, and there they are looking at the page.

May the panoptiforum be with you.

I never clicked "Show new replies to your posts". I just have a look around and dive in when I'm interested, or if I see I already contributed to the thread.
Yes, very casual...I spare 'structured' for my job.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 03:59:15 pm »

In the top line when looking at a topic there is similar information. Who is looking at the same posts you are  >:D

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 10:38:35 pm »
Oh man, I need to add this to my routine..... Can't believe I've never seen this...

This page shows what all the active users are looking at RIGHT NOW!

That is beyond a joke. It's bad enough that there's a page telling everyone when you sleep/work/whatever, a page telling everyone where you go most on here, but highlighting what you're doing in real time is definitely taking the piss as far as privacy is concerned. A stalker's dream, particularly if they're a weirdo losing an argument in a thread.

Offline aeberbach

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 10:43:09 pm »
I'm a little surprised at the ratio of Guest to people with accounts! And also assuming that the page I am reportedly looking at is the last one I opened. I usually scan the new posts and open each thread I want to look at in a new tab, then go through the tabs. So the one it says I am looking at is probably not 100% correct.
Software guy studying B.Eng.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 10:56:45 pm »
What's your forum routine?

Then "Show unread posts since last visit" 40% of visits....
And only go randomly browse specific sections like 5% of visits....

I can't imagine what Dave's "Show new replies to your posts." list looks like.  Probably a full time job just going through that.

Mine:

Navigate to forum (out of habit, not always out of purposeful desire to be here), read interesting-ISH sounding topic title, read a few posts, see it's rapidly devolved into excessive pedantry, then navigate away from forum for sake of not wanting to be stressed or overhelmed.

Since you asked  ;D

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 11:24:03 pm »
If the thanked post counter has gone up, I firstly check thanked posts and will respond if applicable. Then I check replies to my posts and finally new posts.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 12:00:28 am »
I'm a little surprised at the ratio of Guest to people with accounts!

There seems to be a concern by some that viewing what others are doing is a privacy issue. Maybe this is a factor at least for using guest. Of course guest might be just as they seem.

I'm just only bothered to login when I want to reply. I long since gave up using check replies to your posts when I stopped posting much more than I do now.

I just check the latest posts mostly now. I don't like it when a few hot topics swamp the list for a while, but it is what it is.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 01:27:24 am »
Only reason I log in is to quickly skip to the new posts in threads I follow (or have previously visited). If I could do that without logging in I wouldn't log in except to post, so if anyone knows.... (and it's not, as far as I can tell, cookies)

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf