Author Topic: What happens when your cloud service just pulls the plug - Insteon gone  (Read 14419 times)

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What happens when your cloud service just pulls the plug - Insteon gone
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2022, 05:34:29 pm »
Well, to be excruciatingly obvious, [...]

Jesus fucking Christ mate [...]

I guess eti's description was accurate.  Now we just need to heed his warnings.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2022, 07:05:41 am »
That’s why I prefer using a local server instead of a cloud. It is less expensive and less problematic in the long run. A cloud seems to be an easier solution, but its possible issues are much bigger than if you use a server.
You can develop nice AWS architectures with ...removed..., and they would look and work really nice until something happens to the cloud service. And you can never tell what will happen or when it will happen. In the case of a local server, you can at least know the possible problems and how to deal with them

Company contacted, will remove the above post once they have seen it.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2022, 07:49:01 am »
But,
but,
But,
BUT,
they are selling "the cloud" as the preferred backup device!

Gee, I wonder why I never liked that idea.

if you really need a cloud, make your own private cloud on a NAS device. or be prepared to something like that ! (i.e. make backups if possible)
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2022, 11:13:41 am »
Insteon got bought finally by a group. They started selling "subscriptions" for two years $69.95 for access to your hub (through the cloud).

I moved on to Lutron which is better IMHO and can do everything Insteon can do with the cloud or without and it has no subscription.

Here's the last email I got from them -

Hello,

According to our records, you are a Hub owner who has yet to subscribe to our Insteon Hub services.  This is your last reminder that if you subscribe no later than July 15, you will get a $10 coupon* that can be used towards Insteon products (once we have some in stock).

The free access period for everyone without a subscription is scheduled to end August 1, 2022. 

Here is the link to subscribe: www.insteon.com/store

Thank you and we sincerely hope that you will decide to continue supporting Insteon!

Ken
CEO, Insteon Technologies
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
iratus parum formica

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2022, 03:13:01 pm »
Insteon got bought finally by a group. They started selling "subscriptions" for two years $69.95 for access to your hub (through the cloud).

I moved on to Lutron which is better IMHO and can do everything Insteon can do with the cloud or without and it has no subscription.

Here's the last email I got from them -

Hello,

According to our records, you are a Hub owner who has yet to subscribe to our Insteon Hub services.  This is your last reminder that if you subscribe no later than July 15, you will get a $10 coupon* that can be used towards Insteon products (once we have some in stock).

The free access period for everyone without a subscription is scheduled to end August 1, 2022. 

Here is the link to subscribe: www.insteon.com/store

Thank you and we sincerely hope that you will decide to continue supporting Insteon!

Ken
CEO, Insteon Technologies

Will Lutron be smart enough to handle the Cloudy weather intelligently?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf