Author Topic: What happend to 320K resistors ?  (Read 14275 times)

Offline Jan AudioTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What happend to 320K resistors ?
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2021, 05:22:19 pm »
Hey i did not start about your government, your fellow amerikan did.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2021, 01:36:18 pm »
Two 160k in series is 320k. Strange yet true....

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2021, 04:28:21 pm »
If you're concerned about looks., you could just have footprints for two resistors in series for each resistor. Then, use 0 ohm resistors where a resistor is not needed. 
If you use surface mount resistors, 0603 or 0402 resistors don't take that much space.

Surface mount resistors would also allow you to stack two resistors, one on top of the other...  basically two resistors in parallel.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2021, 04:39:06 pm »
If you're concerned about looks., you could just have footprints for two resistors in series for each resistor. Then, use 0 ohm resistors where a resistor is not needed. 
If you use surface mount resistors, 0603 or 0402 resistors don't take that much space.

Surface mount resistors would also allow you to stack two resistors, one on top of the other...  basically two resistors in parallel.

But.. SMD is for pros. He's only a hobbyist, he can't handle that.

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2021, 06:06:58 am »
Hi!

If I was making this thing the OP wants the 320k resistor is for, I would start with 1.0 and 1.6 in series or parallel combinations and their decades ! Job done !

What I did want to say is, what about old pieces of T & M that use component values even E192 doesn't come near?!

Where would I find 9.9nF and 932pF polystyrene capacitors, as used in some old Cossor Oscilloscopes, without making an unsightly mess around the timebase speed switch using combinations of whatever can be obtained, for example?

The only way to get these is a "parts mule", and there are a few cases on record of these capacitors failing short–circuit due to "silver migration".

The only answer to this one would be to redesign the components around the timebase speed switch to use what capacitors are available, possibly with E192 resistors !

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 06:09:33 am by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2021, 08:35:36 am »
Where would I find 9.9nF and 932pF polystyrene capacitors, as used in some old Cossor Oscilloscopes,

What are the tolerances of those parts, and how critical is the value in the scope?

E.g. I did find 932 pF capacitors here (http://www.amidon.de/contents/de/d668_01.html), but their specified tolerance is 5%. That would mean that a 910 pF capacitor (E24) should work nicely, provided you find (select) one which is not in the lower half of its own tolerance range. Ditto for the 9.9 nF: Would 10 nF not work?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2021, 11:59:01 am »

Nonsense. The larger SMT parts are easy to use, especially 805 and 1206 parts which can fit between two tracks on some stripboard.

Where would I find 9.9nF and 932pF polystyrene capacitors, as used in some old Cossor Oscilloscopes,

What are the tolerances of those parts, and how critical is the value in the scope?

E.g. I did find 932 pF capacitors here (http://www.amidon.de/contents/de/d668_01.html), but their specified tolerance is 5%. That would mean that a 910 pF capacitor (E24) should work nicely, provided you find (select) one which is not in the lower half of its own tolerance range. Ditto for the 9.9 nF: Would 10 nF not work?
18nF & 22nF in series.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2021, 04:48:37 pm »

Nonsense. The larger SMT parts are easy to use, especially 805 and 1206 parts which can fit between two tracks on some stripboard.

You might want to read the whole thread for some context.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2021, 05:23:29 pm »

You might want to read the whole thread for some context.
I can't be bothered to re-read this old thread, but I was using SMD parts, when I was 12. You'd have to be petty bad at soldering, to not be able to use them.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2021, 05:48:47 pm »
I can't be bothered to re-read this old thread, but I was using SMD parts, when I was 12. You'd have to be petty bad at soldering, to not be able to use them.

Then you should at least bother to fix your irony detector.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf