Author Topic: What do you think ? [dodgy looking ebay items]  (Read 14218 times)

Offline bilkoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:41:07 am by Simon »

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
Re: What do you think ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:02 pm »
Hmm, vero board , china, top rated seller (romanticisland), china, ebay, china --  what could go wrong? You be the first buyer ;D

Offline DeanA

• Regular Contributor
    • Design Electronics
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:59:36 am »
I think you should have a more descriptive subject title for your post. >:(
And then to top it off we need to follow your link to even have a clue as to what you're discussing (which I didn't bother) - bad form in my opinion.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:17:18 am »
Run that converter of your car battery! For how long? At rated continuous power it is going to draw nearly 700 amps and at peak double that, most car starters will draw around 200 amps and a diesel engine starter around 500 amps and a large truck around 700 amps but only for a few seconds, most direct injection diesels on trucks fire  by the first time a cylinder hits TDC. So at the most you are only going to get a few seconds of power from that inverter, but what will last longer the battery or the inverter.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:40:19 am »
Somebody needs to splain to the chinese how to put women into product photos without it being obvious that they are hoping the girl gets your attention instead of the product your buying.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: What do you think ? [dodgy looking ebay items]
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 11:19:42 am »
Somebody needs to splain to the chinese how to put women into product photos without it being obvious that they are hoping the girl gets your attention instead of the product your buying.
in car ads, the subject at the back the deco (lady) at the front (which one to drive? :D) so in the link above, the lady is capable of 8000W inverting power and 20X (voltage) "enlargement".
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:20:51 am »
in car ads, the subject at the back the deco (lady) at the front (which one to drive? :D) so in the link above, the lady is capable of 8000W inverting power and 20X (voltage) "enlargement".

I think you have far too much time on your hands  :P

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 11:25:45 am »
i hope so. enjoy while you still "exist" :D
and oh, police jacket and england short, thats new humor? what kind of joke is that?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:31:00 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:38:00 am »
and oh, police jacket and england short, thats new humor? what kind of joke is that?

I think you are as bad at "double meaning humor" as the Chinese at at putting scantily clad girls in their photos. Personally chinese women do not appeal to me ! so it's a turn off and I won't buy the product.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 12:05:12 pm »
Hm.. 16kW peak,  at 12V that's 1333 Amps!
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 12:07:46 pm »
Well you see it doubles up as heater  ;) 50% in output, 50% heat in the connection cables

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 12:11:32 pm »

I think you are as bad at "double meaning humor" as the Chinese at at putting scantily clad girls in their photos. Personally chinese women do not appeal to me ! so it's a turn off and I won't buy the product.

Massive turn off ... All china people turn me off ...

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 12:12:03 pm »
you can talk haha

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 12:12:10 pm »
At 12V it would be almost impossible to supply 1333A without the cables dropping a few volts and causing the unit to switch off.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 12:16:11 pm »
I like the table at the end... the 10,000W unit can apparently only manage to provide 50W to a kettle. You'd be better off making tea by wrapping the 12V cables around the mug and letting them do the heating!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 12:18:43 pm »
I like the table at the end... the 10,000W unit can apparently only manage to provide 50W to a kettle. You'd be better off making tea by wrapping the 12V cables around the mug and letting them do the heating!

yea reminds me of photoinductions idea of boiling a kettle  ;)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 12:46:34 pm »
Reminds me of when photonicinduction made a crowbar glow red hot.
As that is what would happen to your 12V cables :P

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 01:28:36 pm »
I like the table, nice piece of wood there.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 02:25:51 pm »
Massive turn off ... All china people turn me off ...
you racism people! as long as they are genetically XX and fully functional, they are fine with me. reality is defined by electrical impulses interpreted by my brain. get over it, skip the "mind politics" :P

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 02:27:40 pm »
I like the table at the end... the 10,000W unit can apparently only manage to provide 50W to a kettle

Very odd, I can understand that they might not like inductive loads but a kettle is pretty well just resistive isn't it?

Oh, I know, it's 10,000 music watts :)

There's another odd thing - part of the spec says "Efficiency 87%", that alone is bad enough for the 10kW version (1.3kW dissipated by the inverter) but at the bottom of the table it says "NOTE: If your machine is 1000W, then the battery need 1000W/12V = 83A x 3 times = 250A". Surely this implies only about 33% efficiency.

Power Jack are well known to produce dangerous shit though aren't they?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 02:39:10 pm »
I like the table at the end... the 10,000W unit can apparently only manage to provide 50W to a kettle

Very odd, I can understand that they might not like inductive loads but a kettle is pretty well just resistive isn't it?

Oh, I know, it's 10,000 music watts :)

There's another odd thing - part of the spec says "Efficiency 87%", that alone is bad enough for the 10kW version (1.3kW dissipated by the inverter) but at the bottom of the table it says "NOTE: If your machine is 1000W, then the battery need 1000W/12V = 83A x 3 times = 250A". Surely this implies only about 33% efficiency.

Power Jack are well known to produce dangerous shit though aren't they?

They may be trying to point out that  a 1000W  battery will last well under and hour at 1000W outpt but their wayof saying it is a bit ingrish.

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 09:25:31 pm »
I did a check under completed listings, it appears they have sold several of those perfboard made solar panel convertors.

What I don't get is HOW these chinese deals make them money? The thing sells for 99 cents SHIPPED. I've bought a few things like this and I still don't understand how they make any money. I certainly can't make any money selling things on ebay for a buck - by the time ebay and paypal take their cut and the postman takes his, I'd be "earning" about a dime!

I have here three of those fiber optic "flower" decorations - the thing with the base with a color changing LED and a poof of fiber optics sticking out the top - and I paid less than four bucks for THREE of them delivered to my door! Now I have all this cheap optical fiber for experiments...

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 09:31:05 pm »
Remember that eBay charges different fees in each country and has completely diffrent listing structures in some cases, for example Italy is max 10 days not 30 like the UK. I'd not be surprised if Europe is subsidizing eBay in china and I think their government subsidize the post.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 10:33:13 pm »
Yes, I think Hong Kong and China have subsidies or something because just rebates for volume selling doesn't explain how could some sellers do free shipping at low prices.

I sell excess parts I have around from time to time on eBay and I simply can't go lower than about $.60 on postage alone, nevermind that a simple bubblewrap envelope is about $.20 if I don't order 300-500 at a time to get a better price.

There's also the eBay fees of about 9%, paypal sucks a few percent as well... the only way I could compete is by service (keeping people updated about the package) and shipping fast ... if I pay about 15 cents extra for priority postage, I usually get my packages in 5-10 days to people in Europe.... the Chinese guys can't really get this fast yet.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 10:49:58 pm »
Is the girl included? That would make a diff with the selling price.

...mike

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf