Author Topic: "Veritasium" (YT) - "The Big Misconception About Electricity" ?  (Read 240528 times)

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
Re: "Veritasium" (YT) - "The Big Misconception About Electricity" ?
« Reply #550 on: December 13, 2021, 07:12:21 am »
... I proposed no specific model for this case, others came up with the transmission line.  I think there is  more to it, as even with no resistance it should also radiate energy into space--so even an ideal transmission line is not a perfect model. But that doesn't affect the outcome of the question posed.
It's a great big terminated folded dipole. Was going to be a caveat in my scaled-down (15km cables) model.

Don't forget that it takes time for a signal to propagate along a dipole antenna too.
Many people seem to forget that the 1m/c answer only applies when it's 1m away. But practically any physical wire that is more than 1m away is not going to give you the 1m/c answer.
We are being trolled.

What's even the sense of this reply?
So, it takes time for a signal to propagate along the wires, as well, and the other answers are wrong too because if instead of going halfway to the moon and back they went to Mars and back the other answers would be different?
It is obvious what Derek wanted to show: that part of the energy in the fields reaches the load that is facing the battery plus switch in d/c seconds, where d << L is the small distance between the wires and not the veeeeeery long distance to the ends.

This is a perfectly sound physics problem. It remain to see how much energy and what it does to the load.
But modeling with transmission lines, like you did, is not gonna cut it.
(and also experimenting with a scope in my opinion, but I am more open about this)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 07:38:40 am by Sredni »
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline MIS42N

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #551 on: December 13, 2021, 08:57:32 am »
Many people seem to forget that the 1m/c answer only applies when it's 1m away. But practically any physical wire that is more than 1m away is not going to give you the 1m/c answer.
We are being trolled.

Ah, but what a good troll.

I've spent most of my life as a computer person (programmer, analyst, systems, disaster recovery, security, comms, etc. etc.) but I did start with a few years of university doing an Elec Eng degree (unfinished).
Looking at this problem has blown some dust off brain synapses lying idle for over 50 years. As usual, I came up with an answer and then tried to justify it. Serious (re)learning curve. A good example of every complex question has an answer that is simple, easily understood, and wrong.

Things I learned mainly from other comments:

1) The answer is 1 meter/c seconds for a select few observers. For the person closing the switch, it is 2m/c, and for someone next to the light bulb it is 0m/c. These are observers in the same inertial frame as the experiment. Use a frame moving in respect to the experiment and choose the answer you like.

2) Current in a wire passing through a conductive plate at right angles is only affected by the thickness of the plate. If the plate is zero thickness, no magnetic fields cut through it so no effect.

3) people are too willing to look at parallel wires and call them a transmission line. It all depends on the scenario. I won't go into why I think the problem under consideration does not satisfy the criteria, said it all before.

4) an accelerating charge creates a changing magnetic field that will affect every other charge in the field. Potentially, most of the universe. A few charges being shuffled on the Voyager 1 spacecraft are able to wiggle a few charges on Earth over 21 hours later after travelling over 22 billion kilometers. Awesome thought.

5) I had to check that the moon is not 300,000km from Earth as implied by the video, it is closer to 400,000km

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline SandyCox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #552 on: December 13, 2021, 10:09:42 am »
3) people are too willing to look at parallel wires and call them a transmission line. It all depends on the scenario. I won't go into why I think the problem under consideration does not satisfy the criteria, said it all before.
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with modelling two parallel wires as a transmission line.
The Telegrapher’s equations are the solutions to Maxwell’s equations for this configuration. The lumped element model appears when we approximate the derivative  dy/dx with Delta y/Delta x.

Transmission line theory in central to both electric power systems and radio frequency circuits. One of the most important observations from transmission line theory is the importance of impedance matching, which has not really featured in this discussion.  If the resistance of the bulb is correctly matched with that of the transmission line, then half of the battery voltage will “immediately” appear over the bulb and the full battery voltage after 1 second.

The problem is that we must also model the “end effects”, particularly at the sending end. These end effects are responsible for the initial delay. In my opinion, they can only be studied through simulation.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #553 on: December 13, 2021, 10:35:46 am »
I think he means in terms of, it's not a great model because you need many to get there, namely modeling ground effect (where applicable), common mode and radiative modes.  The whole thing ends up rather messy, which is to say, the pulse measurements shown up-thread have a sloppy edge -- the time delay is plain, but the total waveform depends on things that are neither specified nor modeled by the thought experiment.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: bdunham7

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #554 on: December 13, 2021, 02:46:41 pm »
-- the time delay is plain, but the total waveform depends on things that are neither specified nor modeled by the thought experiment.

I think that about sums it all up...
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #555 on: December 13, 2021, 03:15:16 pm »
If anyone wants to try some EM modelling, there is a student version of Ansys HFSS  and Maxwell available.  You don't need to be an official student, you just can't use it commercially.  There's probably a bit of a learning curve, but there's are online courses and tutorials.

https://www.ansys.com/academic/students/ansys-electronics-desktop-student
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #556 on: December 13, 2021, 03:56:11 pm »
-- the time delay is plain, but the total waveform depends on things that are neither specified nor modeled by the thought experiment.

I think that about sums it all up...

Who cares? It doesn't change the fact that the "engineering 101" is limited. It didn't predict that initially, and after the transient, energy flows from the battery to the lamp through space.

The engineering 101 led engineers stuck to this limiting concept to predict things that doesn't happen.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #557 on: December 13, 2021, 04:27:07 pm »
Who cares? It doesn't change the fact that the "engineering 101" is limited. It didn't predict that initially, and after the transient, energy flows from the battery to the lamp through space.

Oh please stop with that.  Nearly everyone understood that part, the issue there was the magnitude of that response and whether that would 'light a lamp'.  And I still think a fuller model or experiment with 1 meter spaced wires will show even less of a response than the transmission line model predicts, so I agree with you there.  And you're still welcome to show us your model--I offered to physically build it if there's any significant disputes after you do that.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #558 on: December 13, 2021, 07:29:54 pm »

Oh please stop with that.  Nearly everyone understood that part, the issue there was the magnitude of that response and whether that would 'light a lamp'.  And I still think a fuller model or experiment with 1 meter spaced wires will show even less of a response than the transmission line model predicts, so I agree with you there.  And you're still welcome to show us your model--I offered to physically build it if there's any significant disputes after you do that.

So, seasoned "practical" engineers have misconceptions about EM.

No big deal. They update their understanding and life goes on. Then why are these people so butthurt?  :-//

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #559 on: December 14, 2021, 05:27:09 am »
Whose "engineering 101"?  Or "seasoned" "practical" "engineers"?

I mean, for my part, I spotted immediately what the argument is, what conditions have to be met, and, yep that's exactly what it was [the threshold being, any causative current flow], and obviously the setup is a visual example and won't work with precisely the things shown (a 12V battery and a 120V lamp -- presumably), but can be modified to suit (e.g. a "grain of wheat" 12V lamp, or a plain LED and resistor), and will be obviously visible within a second, before the reflected wave completes its trip.

There's a legal concept of a cure, that I think is relevant here.  When the court shall be lenient with the parties, it will allow a generous reading of the matter at stake (e.g., an ambiguous contract or legislative law).  The ambiguous matter is construed in the most reasonable way, curing the defect.

In this case, we can cure the lamp being unsuitable, by simply choosing one of appropriate rating.  I mean, duh, right?  And we know precisely what rating will suffice, because, even if it's a poor transmission line model, it's definitely more accurate than more simplified models, and the geometry determines the impedance -- around a kohm, so we know a lamp of around that value will do the job.  The power output will be small, but it will certainly visible, even in daylight, given the high luminance of a suitable LED.

This is in contrast to a lot of internet arguments, where the participants may prefer to invalidate their opponent's argument, with any mistake no matter how trivial (e.g. a typo).  Which, really, if you're so damn well convinced of the validity of your argument, surely you should want a challenge?  Like, wouldn't you want to help your opponent form the strongest possible argument versus yours, and still defeat them by the manifest superiority of your position?  Nevermind being generous to a fellow human being, just out of pure selfish pride, right?

Tim

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #560 on: December 14, 2021, 06:06:12 am »
There's a legal concept of a cure, that I think is relevant here.  When the court shall be lenient with the parties, it will allow a generous reading of the matter at stake (e.g., an ambiguous contract or legislative law).  The ambiguous matter is construed in the most reasonable way, curing the defect.

In this case, we can cure the lamp being unsuitable, by simply choosing one of appropriate rating.  I mean, duh, right?  And we know precisely what rating will suffice, because, even if it's a poor transmission line model, it's definitely more accurate than more simplified models, and the geometry determines the impedance -- around a kohm, so we know a lamp of around that value will do the job.  The power output will be small, but it will certainly visible, even in daylight, given the high luminance of a suitable LED.

The legal concept you refer to will have variable success depending on context.  You may make your equitable argument and the judge may say 'nope, the law is the law'.  BTDT.  In this case, my main quibble with the video is the context and supposed implications, especially for the portion of the viewers that have a much more basic level of understanding.  If you are within 100 feet of a power substation but due to some quirk of transmission line topology the route that the wires take to get to your house is 2000 miles, how long will it take your lights to come on after they throw the switch on?  Will the power flow through the 2000 mile long route along the wires and take longer, or will it magically flow through space and get there in 100ft/c time?  IMO Derek set that whole thing up quite deliberately to be, as Mehdi said, a trick question.  So I'm less inclined than you are to cut him slack. 

Now for the specific question, I and surely many others immediately realized that closing Derek's switch would cause an EM response of some sort that would traverse the 1m of space.  IIRC you were the first (here) to propose what so far has turned out to be the simplest model that matches scaled experiments so far.  However, I'm not fully convinced that the actual response of the any reasonable version of the proposed setup--which has to include actual 1m spacing of the wires--will actually result in current that will light up any actual bulb in anything close to 3.3ns.  If I haven't erred, a transmission line with 1cm diameter wire separated by 1 kilometer results in an impedance of 1400 ohms--so the circuit would still light a bulb if that were all there was to it.  So I'm guessing that the transmission line is an incomplete model, and under these extreme separations--whether 1m or 1km--it will ultimately prove erroneous.  And I mean entirely erroneous, not some nitpicking.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #561 on: December 14, 2021, 08:57:51 am »
The legal concept you refer to will have variable success depending on context.  You may make your equitable argument and the judge may say 'nope, the law is the law'.  BTDT.  In this case, my main quibble with the video is the context and supposed implications, especially for the portion of the viewers that have a much more basic level of understanding.  If you are within 100 feet of a power substation but due to some quirk of transmission line topology the route that the wires take to get to your house is 2000 miles, how long will it take your lights to come on after they throw the switch on?  Will the power flow through the 2000 mile long route along the wires and take longer, or will it magically flow through space and get there in 100ft/c time?  IMO Derek set that whole thing up quite deliberately to be, as Mehdi said, a trick question.  So I'm less inclined than you are to cut him slack.

Shrug.  To anyone less familiar with the subject, a practical answer to your version is fairly trivial -- within a cycle, less than the blink of an eye.  Who could care whether it's 100ns or 10µs, right?

And, easy enough to add that, it's not just the straight-line distance, the wires also need to be in a specific configuration to observe the effect, i.e., having significant mutual induction.  Distant transmission lines will not experience this, as we build power transmission lines deliberately to avoid it.  So the answer is obviously the longer path (obvious, once this is included, that is).  I'm not sure that this particular point was very well indicated in the video, in which case that would be a valid criticism as a missed or hanging point -- but also beside, or in addition to, the main point.  If this thought occurs to someone, they can ask in the comments, they can ask friends or experts, or search around.

Anyway, with respect to mains frequency, and human experience, 10µs is just as irrelevant to the average user as the thought experiment's setup -- we don't have any 300Mm transmission lines into space, either.

There has to be a hook, of course.  The dissonance between the expected highschool physics result ("current flows in wires duh") and actual EM theory, is what generates views.  Again, that's ultimately driven by the dilemma he's explicitly been concerned about before.  This production seems consistent with that dilemma.

Now for the specific question, I and surely many others immediately realized that closing Derek's switch would cause an EM response of some sort that would traverse the 1m of space.  IIRC you were the first (here) to propose what so far has turned out to be the simplest model that matches scaled experiments so far.  However, I'm not fully convinced that the actual response of the any reasonable version of the proposed setup--which has to include actual 1m spacing of the wires--will actually result in current that will light up any actual bulb in anything close to 3.3ns.  If I haven't erred, a transmission line with 1cm diameter wire separated by 1 kilometer results in an impedance of 1400 ohms--so the circuit would still light a bulb if that were all there was to it.  So I'm guessing that the transmission line is an incomplete model, and under these extreme separations--whether 1m or 1km--it will ultimately prove erroneous.  And I mean entirely erroneous, not some nitpicking.

You mean to widen the problem, make the wires further apart?  Presumably, because that has no apparent effect on the problem, beyond the scale factor (proportionally higher delay of the immediate wave)?  And that you find this an unsatisfying result... but aren't quite sure why, I think..?

Well, why not?

Presumably, the biggest practical problem to constructing a 1km-wide twin lead, would be its height over ground, no?

The problem makes no statement about ground; but we can see that it will have a significant effect, so we should go to lengths to avoid it, to keep the problem "pure".  Perhaps we remove Earth from the picture entirely, just do the experiment somewhere in deep space.  Fair enough, most of the TL is already floating up there, why tether the middle to some boring rock that makes things harder to work with?

It's interesting, in that the Earth is a mere 12Mm across, so makes up a small fraction of the largest length scale of the problem.  But compared to 1m, or 1km, it's absolutely massive.  So it certainly can't be ignored, if we must include it at all.

Notice how else we can treat the problem of ground effect.  We can just as well scale it down to, say, 10m separation at ocean level (salt water ground plane), or say, 1mm separation of thin traces on a PCB (copper ground plane).  In these cases, the ground effect will be substantial, and we have a mode that looks more like a pair of weakly coupled microstrips.  And we know that the round-trip wave will be a great many times stronger than the immediate (coupled) wave.

But they will still be coupled, even if microscopically so.  Like, even if it's a mere 1ppm, it's still nonzero, and more than enough to measure -- with a suitable receiver.  Granted, we would have to apply quite a serious voltage to use a "lightbulb" as receiver -- we might very reasonably question whether it's worth considering a "lightbulb" as "lit" in that case.

A full description of the problem, i.e. with ground included, then needs to model the ground impedance and shielding effects.  What we'll get at the load, is a small immediate step, at the expected straight-line delay, then eventually a very gradual rise as the shielding effect decreases for lower frequency components, and as the normal-mode wave launches off the limb of the Earth and the twin-lead mode takes over.  So, we observe four characteristic times or frequencies:
1. Immediate wave: weak, proportional to coupling geometry (mutual induction), ratio of wire distance to ground height, those sorts of things.  Delay: light speed between wires.
2. Ground reflections, soil waves, nearby mutual induction.  If we're including real Earth earth in the mix, then soil has a fairly high dielectric constant, plus notable losses, giving a delayed and dispersive step response.  If lines are elevated far above ground, then ground-wave reflections will be visible as step(s) delayed by [a] geometric factor(s).  (Uh, if this is free from buildings, open sky, and ignoring ionosphere*, just the one ground wave, then.)  Also, if the soil resistivity is notable, then high frequencies will be well shielded but low frequencies allowed to propagate, thus the coupling factor between lines will be higher at low frequencies.  This will give a delayed, and slow rising, response at the detector, probably in the µs to ms.  (Such materials tend to have diffusion characteristics, so won't have a time constant as such, and will look more like a unsatisfying drool, as the level changes slowly over a range of time scales.)
3. Lack of ground reflections: the TLs clear the limb of the Earth, separation between wires dominates over ground, and a twin-lead mode takes over from the microstrip mode.  The impedance rises, reflecting some energy back at a medium delay (~ms).
4. TL end reflection, 1s.  Note that this has to propagate back through all the other stuff too, so will be weakened doubly; add on top of this, common mode (radiative) losses.

*Oh shit, this whole thing has to go through the ionosophere, doesn't it.  Hah, well I suppose it might not make electrical contact, if we're insulating the lines well enough; bare lines I suppose ought to be shorted out a bit however.  The conductivity isn't very much up there, with respect to something the diameter of a wire, but it adds up over the ~10s km layer thickness.  Put another way: the waves are guided by the TL, but the waves propagate largely in the space between them, and that space happens to be loaded with ions which tend to absorb and reflect the waves, rather than allow them to propagate.

Nevermind somehow short circuiting the entire motherfucking ionospheric current of the atmosphere.  HAARP couldn't possibly dream of such power! :-DD :-DD

Tim
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 09:01:28 am by T3sl4co1l »

Offline MIS42N

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #562 on: December 14, 2021, 10:38:23 am »
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with modelling two parallel wires as a transmission line.
The Telegrapher’s equations are the solutions to Maxwell’s equations for this configuration. The lumped element model appears when we approximate the derivative  dy/dx with Delta y/Delta x.

Transmission line theory in central to both electric power systems and radio frequency circuits. One of the most important observations from transmission line theory is the importance of impedance matching, which has not really featured in this discussion.  If the resistance of the bulb is correctly matched with that of the transmission line, then half of the battery voltage will “immediately” appear over the bulb and the full battery voltage after 1 second.

The problem is that we must also model the “end effects”, particularly at the sending end. These end effects are responsible for the initial delay. In my opinion, they can only be studied through simulation.
What does it mean to model parallel wires as a transmission line? It is to understand the behaviour when a signal of some arbitrary frequency is passed down both conductors. The formulas calculate a resistance which, if matched by the source and terminating resistance yields no reflections.

In this case, the source is a battery, which is unlikely to have an internal resistance as high as 900 ohms. It is likely to be a few ohms at most (a 12V car battery has an internal resistance measured in milliohms). So closing the switch creates a current inrush, with the possibility of creating standing waves. However the current inrush is effectively a square wave with all frequencies and is only on one wire of the two wires. What use is the transmission line model in coming up with meaningful information - not much.

More useful is the impedance of free space - about 377 ohms. This is what a single infinite wire would see. When the switch is closed, the battery will feed two wires at +6V and -6V (for a 12V battery). So the expected current will be about 15mA for half a second while it "charges up" the circuits to the shorted ends.

When the current turns around at the shorted ends, then there's a complex interplay between outgoing and returning current, which I believe (and I don't know how to work out) will create a tiny reflected wave back to the switch, and result in a lesser current down the wire to the lamp. As shown by modelling by various people, the current will then ramp up in 1 second increment to approach the steady state current. After half a second, the transmission line model starts to make sense as there are currents in both outgoing and returning wires. But the video is about what happens in the the first few nanoseconds, and I contend the transmission line model is not applicable for the first half second.

My very rough calculations say the immediately induced current at the lamp is around 8uA - not much but enough for a LED to be seen in a dark room.

As for the assertion that all energy flows in the field - I call bullshit. In an AC transformer, yes. But the wires that connect to that transformer, no. Try and move all energy from a DC source other than by conductors, epic fail. It's a half truth, not the whole truth. All but a tiny fraction of energy in a DC circuit flows in wires.

Offline SandyCox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #563 on: December 14, 2021, 10:55:37 am »
In this case, the source is a battery, which is unlikely to have an internal resistance as high as 900 ohms. It is likely to be a few ohms at most (a 12V car battery has an internal resistance measured in milliohms). So closing the switch creates a current inrush, with the possibility of creating standing waves. However the current inrush is effectively a square wave with all frequencies and is only on one wire of the two wires. What use is the transmission line model in coming up with meaningful information - not much.
The "source resistance" is actually the baterry resistance in series with resistance of the bulb, as shown in the  attached document. Another way to look at the problem is to use symmetry and to split the circuit in two symmetrical mparts, like Electroboom did in his video. The transission line looks like a resistor that changes its value every time a reflection arrives back at the source.

Offline MIS42N

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #564 on: December 14, 2021, 11:42:03 am »
The "source resistance" is actually the baterry resistance in series with resistance of the bulb, as shown in the  attached document. Another way to look at the problem is to use symmetry and to split the circuit in two symmetrical mparts, like Electroboom did in his video. The transission line looks like a resistor that changes its value every time a reflection arrives back at the source.
From the start, the assumption is made that this is only a transmission line. This is wrong.

Transmission line equations do not apply when the frequency applied is significantly longer than the line length. When the switch is closed, the wave front is the front of a square wave which has no back. If you did a Fourier analysis you'd end up with component frequencies significantly longer than the line length. You can't dismiss those components because they don't fit the model, you change the model to fit reality.

I give up.

Offline SandyCox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #565 on: December 14, 2021, 12:05:39 pm »

Transmission line equations do not apply when the frequency applied is significantly longer than the line length.

Can you please provide a reference that confirms your statement? I don’t see this restiction in the derivation of transmission line theory. Are you aware of the concept of bounce diagrams?

Transmission line theory is widely used to analyse power systems, where the line length can be a fraction of the wavelength.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 12:12:58 pm by SandyCox »

Offline MIS42N

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #566 on: December 14, 2021, 12:30:19 pm »

Transmission line equations do not apply when the frequency applied is significantly longer than the line length.

Can you please provide a reference that confirms your statement? I don’t see this restiction in the derivation of transmission line theory. Are you aware of the concept of bounce diagrams?

Transmission line theory is widely used to analyse power systems, where the line length can be a fraction of the wavelength.
Wikipedia " The term applies when the conductors are long enough that the wave nature of the transmission must be taken into account." - DC does not have a "wave nature" although transients do. Which is why I say the transmission line model is insufficient. It handles the transients OK, but that isn't the whole of reality.

Offline SandyCox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #567 on: December 14, 2021, 12:53:49 pm »
What the author of the Wikipedia article is trying to say is that you must apply transmission line theory if you need to take the wave nature into account. Otherwise, you can use regular circuit analysis. This doesn’t mean that the transmission line model is inaccurate if the line is short in comparison to the wavelength.

Later in the article the author refers to half wave-length lines, quarter-wave lines and short lines.

If you look at my note, you will se that the transmission line model applies all the way down to DC. It tells us that the short-circuit-terminated losses transmission line becomes a short circuit at DC, where the wavelength is infinite.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #568 on: December 14, 2021, 01:39:13 pm »

Can you please provide a reference that confirms your statement? .

This is being taught at the universities on Day 1 of Transmission Lines course.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline adx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #569 on: December 14, 2021, 01:45:57 pm »
What the author of the Wikipedia article is trying to say is that you must apply transmission line theory if you need to take the wave nature into account. ...

I'm not averse to editing Wikipedia articles to win arguments myself. I'm going to use a strange emoji for that! :scared:

Offline SandyCox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #570 on: December 14, 2021, 01:49:40 pm »
Then you were taught incorrect information. You should have waited until day two when you would have derived the equations and would have seen that there is no such restriction.
Didn’t they teach you about quarter-wavelength lines and short lines?

Online snarkysparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #571 on: December 14, 2021, 01:59:13 pm »

The following users thanked this post: bdunham7, SandyCox

Offline SandyCox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #572 on: December 14, 2021, 02:02:05 pm »
Comparing frequency to line length is gibberish anyway. They have different units.

I assume you are comparing wavelength to line length.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 02:03:46 pm by SandyCox »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #573 on: December 14, 2021, 02:22:06 pm »
Then you were taught incorrect information. You should have waited until day two when you would have derived the equations and would have seen that there is no such restriction.
Didn’t they teach you about quarter-wavelength lines and short lines?
Thank you very much, spent quite a few yeras at a Uni. The postulate is transmission line properties apply when its length becomes comparable with the wave length, the minimum value commonly used is 1/8 of the wave length. Do not make people laugh applying transmission line theory to DC case.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline adx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #574 on: December 14, 2021, 02:54:21 pm »
How does a transmission line know it is too long or too short? Physical or simulated. I can't assume any model is right, but I wouldn't want to use one and have some sort of unstated inaccuracy that totally ruins a simulation because it's been used over the 'wrong length'. There are limitations I thought at low frequencies (rising impedance), and in this situation I'm guessing each line may lose 1/4 (is that too much?) as much as the power going across its 1k in common mode radiative losses (I was also thinking about the balance between driving impedance being 0 so not lost from the bulb, and good match on the output), but overall not enough to alter my expectation that it would light at around nominal power (8W 120V) if driven off a 240V source (and have some way of responding to the full range mains situation at 1s). I could be wrong of course, but that's what design is, and I'd be surprised if I was wrong given that I have heard no good and believable reason to suspect it wouldn't work. It just doesn't seem all that controversial to me.

Edit: Little more on the end, and then was going to say "and here's my preprepared reply from earlier in the day" in case anyone thinks I can type extreeeeemly fast:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 02:58:19 pm by adx »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf